Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

savinhill posted:

There was an HBO movie based on a premise like this years ago. I didn't like it back then but I was a lot younger and had a lot less patience with slow paced things. Can't remember much else about it though, including the name.

It was probably "Fatherland"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109779/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:holymoley:

This is better than that guy who hated Flash because Barry had the wrong hair color. At least you didn't complain that Jimmy Olsen was black.

My favorite complaint ever was the rage at Emma Stone being cast as Gwen Stacy.

"Arrgh, she's a redhead! She should play Mary Jane instead! Can't they get anything right?!?!?!!?!"

"Actually, Stone's actually a natural blonde who only dyes her hair red."

"Oh, then that's good casting then."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

In The Walking Dead, did Zombies exist as a form of fiction, as in, Night of the Living Dead was a movie everyone would have seen?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

What about Modern Family? Not exactly turned against, but it went from one of the busiest threads to not even having one posted for this season.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

hcreight posted:

Him leaving was never a real possibility, but it's nice that he's locked in now.

Gotta wonder if CC is kind of pissed off. They had John Oliver, who would have been perfect for Daily or Colbert, but it looked like those guys weren't going anywhere, so he goes to HBO, and in a year, they lose both Stewart and Colbert.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

hcreight posted:

Fun speculation time: I kind of wonder if CC has known Stewart was ready to step down for a while now, and whether they changed the name of Wilmore's show from The Minority Report to The Nightly Show because they're looking at Jessica Williams as the new TDS host.

Nah, just kidding, gonna be another white guy.

Wilmore said they got a letter from 20th Century Fox who said they owned the rights to the name "Minority Report" since they're planning to turn that movie into a tv show.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Better was the quote from the producer of Midsommer Murders about why there were very few minorities on the show (which takes place in the village of Midsommer), he replied something along the lines of Midsommer representing the ideal English village.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

Also Steven DeKnight, aka the creator and showrunner of Spartacus, is running Daredevil.

Steven DeKnight sounds like the hero of an 80's TV series.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

And it landed Ellie Kemper for the lead. Ellie Kemper is goddamned amazing and it sounds like this role is going to make her the star she deserves to be.

I think Comedy Bang Bang described her the best: "So adorable she makes a baby dear look like a pile of poo poo."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

raditts posted:

That bit about Raiders is not even true though. If it weren't for Indy they wouldn't know that THEY WERE DIGGING IN THE WRONG PLACE!!!

I think that's one of the arguments about Raiders. If it weren't for Indy, the Ark never would have been found.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Bown posted:

Last Man on Earth is such a frustrating show. The scripting is super funny, the actors rule, and the cinematography is great. But the character of Phil Miller is the most irritating horny douchebag and his every action serves to make the show worse. We get it, you want to have sex with the hot girl instead of the ugly girl. Now please gently caress off.

I know people are always like "oh so you need your tv characters to be likeable???? hurghdsjkfghsdsmugsmilie" and in this case....yeah I kinda do. Even though the lines he's speaking are funny the things he's doing are unbearably lovely, selfish, and annoying to watch.

John Cleese once talked about this regarding "Fawlty Towers". He said he was surprised at the number of people who would come up to him and tell him how much they loved Basil Fawlty, which he found baffling, since Basil is an awful person. He believed that it stemmed from the fact that since Basil made the viewers laugh, they found themselves feeling sympathetic towards him, and liked him despite his awfulness. Which does make sense. If you look at the gang from "It's Always Sunny . . . ", character-wise, these are some of the worst human beings ever, but because we, as viewers, laugh at them, we like them. Same with Eric Cartman, or the guys from The Young Ones. Rik Mayall basically made a career of playing the worse people who you are glad don't exist, but because they made us laugh, we like them.

I don't get that with Phil Miller. He's a horrible person, and we're not laughing at him.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Argue posted:

Are there any comedies with funny descriptive audio tracks?

Alien vs Predator: Requiem? I don't know who did the subtitles for that film, but whoever it was had delusions of . . . something.

And I'm five episodes into Daredevil, and I hate every single goddamn character on this show. Foggy needs to die, like three episodes ago. And Rosario Dawson should have never shown up. I don't know if I can slog on.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

James Purefoy and Michael K Williams to play Hap Collins and Leonard Pine in the adaptation of Joe R Lansdale's Hap and Leonard novels for Sundance Channel.

http://tvline.com/2015/04/29/james-purefoy-hap-and-leonard-cast-sundance/

I hope the series can get the tone from the books right, because the relationship between Hap and Leonard is one of the greatest, touching, and funniest things ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

He's also been played by Dennis Hopper in 1977 and Barry Pepper in 2005.

Its an interesting character seeing as he's the protagonist but he murders his way through the first book, killing fairly frequently to get what he wants. I think the only real problem is that he doesn't exactly have a strong antagonist, instead just a series of people investigating him or suspicious of his motives/identity.

Ian Hart played him a couple of years when BBC Radio adapted all five books (though each one was just an hour long)

• Locked thread