Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

pentyne posted:

I'd like to petition to add Ravane and Irish Joe to rule 3.

I second this motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

The Good Wife should've been a lot higher. But it's on CBS, rather than SA's favorite network, the CW, so there's no way 90% of the posters in this forum will ever watch it.
It is the least CBS show that CBS airs, though. It has procedural elements, but they're wedded to deep characterization, moral ambiguity, and an actual understanding of how modern technology works.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I must then conclude goons generally have bad taste. :colbert:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

IRQ posted:

Ok, who wants to talk about the BSG/LOST finale and what utter garbage it was?

I disagree, the BSG and LOST finales were both pinnacles of the artistic medium of TV. :colbert:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Sophia posted:

Someone name a TV show where they liked its ending and also genuinely liked the show (i.e. the ending can't be liked because it was simply put out of its misery like a dying dog).

30 Rock, for sure. I mean, it had a few rocky seasons, but there's so much to love about it, and the last season was amazing, with the last scene in particular paying off a long running joke in a sublimely surreal way.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

My sister won't watch Supernatural because she's heard it's misogynist, and if you tell her something's misogynist, she will take your word for it and do no due diligence to confirm it.
Supernatural is pretty misogynist, though. It keeps killing off heroic supporting female characters, and then every other supporting female character is a textbook case of the Monstrous Feminine. And Sam and Dean have so many disposable love interests throughout the series. And it relies on a bunch of sexist tropes.
But Mystery Spot and Changing Channels are amazing. and Swan Song is the best series finale that didn't actually end the series (I haven't seen anything beyond it).

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Men get confused by women liking dudes like Cumberbatch and Hiddleston because men are primarily driven by physical appearance in terms of how they rate attractiveness, and many cannot conceive of any other metric for rating attractiveness. This is not necessarily biological as much as it is due to societal gender roles that encourage guys to think of attractiveness in the shallowest terms possible.
Women, on the other hand, tend to be socialized in a way where they determine attractiveness by a combination of physical appearance and more intangible factors such as charisma and reliability. Some women are even willing to completely ignore the physical aspect because the man in question fulfills so many of their other criteria; the whole Aphrodite and Hephaestus situation (or for people who never studied Greek mythology, the sitcom trope of the fat guy with the hot wife). So, while Cumberbatch and Hiddleston are not necessarily examples of peak physical perfection, they have a certain magnetism that makes them attractive to women.
That dudes keep bitching about women being attracted to Cumberbatch and Hiddleston shows remarkable lack of awareness on their part, and more than a little pathetic jealousy. Some seem to want it to be the case that women are shallow, only interested in looks, because it would then explain why they have little success with women, and would also prove women inferior to men.
When women are shallow, it tends to be in different, more functional ways; that is, they look for men of high socioeconomic status, or at least a guy with a reliable, decently paying job.

In general, a lot of the problems guys in modern Western societies are having with dating stems from the fact that men's standards have not evolved with the times fast enough, and that many of them are either accidentally or willfully ignorant of what women actually find attractive in a guy.

This is all a long way of saying that it's really loving simple understanding why women find men like Cumberbatch attractive, not some sort of complex problem of the kind only Sherlock could solve.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

xeria posted:

I'm a girl and Butterscotch Candysnack still looks goofy.

I never disputed that. I was in fact suggesting his appeal is not really about his appearance at all, but rather something about his demeanor, or rather about the demeanor of the character he plays very well, because the actual Benjamin Cobblepot seems like just kind of a boring normal guy if you watch his interviews.

also I haven't watched beyond the first few episodes of season 2, but Elementary has a way more interesting reinterpretation of Holmes than Sherlock. The British series is pretty much just a modern, tech'd up version with Holmes's rear end in a top hat characteristics jacked up to 11. He is a weirdo superhuman sociopath. And the Holmes-Watson relationship is actual pretty drat similar to the original stories, except for some omg are they gay? isn't that funny? WAIT NO NO HOMO NO HOMO! Also it's a little regressive in terms of its view of women (even Joss Whedon would have a hard time stomaching the proposition that that Irene Adler was a good female character)
By contrast, Elementary does the radical move of recasting Sherlock Holmes as a human being, and then is also fairly gender-progressive. It makes Watson a woman AND eventually Holmes's equal and necessary partner. It has a better Irene Adler, for sure.

Spatula City fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 28, 2015

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

The episode with the lactokinetic guy is in season 2 of Misfits, so that's wrong. and then season 3 has the alternate history Nazi episode, right? So.
I sort of fell off watching Misfits midway through season 3 though, partly because I missed The Best Character so much. Although Rudy was loving great from what I saw.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

It's taken me a while to realize it, but season 3 of Arrow really isn't particularly good. Even its best moment, the end of "The Climb", hasn't been payed off that well in the subsequent two episodes that have aired so far. What's weirdest is that I've realized my least favorite characters at the moment are actually Felicity and Diggle. Well, obviously Thea as well, who I have realized will never not be terrible.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

raditts posted:

Wait, Laurel doesn't rank in there anywhere?!

I don't expect much from her anymore, and her trying to be a hero and consistently getting the poo poo kicked out of her is loving HILARIOUS. That's one of the few good calls the producers have made, not letting her be remotely competent at crimefighting.
So I'm kind of grading on a curve. Laurel for me now is providing more actual enjoyment than Felicity or Diggle. And Roy is somehow now the best?
at least we have Vinnie Jones. :unsmith:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

AOS is not a good show, but it is a show that I watch and derive some enjoyment from. I'm kinda baffled at how some people here have decided to pretend it's anything more than semi-competent escapism. Bill Paxton was great on it, though, and Kyle Maclachlan owns all of the bones that there are. and Adrianne Palicki is stunningly beautiful, as is the actress that plays Simmons.

Pillowpants posted:

I need a show to be recommended to me.

My wife and I are currently watching parenthood and the west wing on Netflix. I prefer the latter, she the former but other shows we have had in common are Oz, Lost, Being Human and the Walking dead. We both tried and hated The Shield and SoA. she won't watch superhero shows and I won't do procedural cop shows.

do you have Amazon Prime? Prime has The Good Wife. That sounds like something you both might enjoy. I also kind of liked Damages, which is on Netflix. It's very uneven, but it has some high highs. also watch Fringe.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

:stare::stare::stare:
I'm in the middle of season 3 of Scandal. I could not possibly defend this show as great, but it's bananas insane in a way I haven't seen before, except for maybe in American Horror Story. It has no functional understanding of how the presidency or spycraft or politics actually work, and the result is glorious nonsense.
It is really frustrating though whenever it goes into the FORBIDDEN LOVE bullshit, which just creeps me out because it's such a dysfunctional, borderline abusive relationship.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

Think of the love story less as a love story and more as drug addiction. Even Shonda Rhimes has said it's not supposed to be a healthy, rootable relationship, and the only reason it plays like one is we're in Olivia's POV, where she can't help but go askew over this one thing.

It's pretty frustrating, though, because Olivia has the potential to be a hyper-competent badass, but Fitz has just completely hosed that up. And he's an emotionally manipulative spoiled little boy. Last episode I watched, Evil Papa Pope brutally eviscerated him (verbally, not literally, though I'm sure he would've if he could've), explaining just how much of a spoiled, entitled, pathetic little poo poo Fitz was. It was magical, and Joe Morton deserves all of the awards for it.
Every time Olivia starts to do the smart thing and try to disentangle herself from Fitz, he abuses his power as president to force her to meet him, and then, yet again, emotionally manipulates her into sex. This is beyond hosed. Fitz is Scandal's real monster. And he just keeps getting away with it.
The other frustrating thing is that Fitz's two closest advisers would both be far better presidents. Cyrus and Mellie are both monstrous, but they're at least adults, and aware of their own hosed-upped-ness. But I suppose that's purposeful, because Shonda Rhimes is trying to make a Big Statement about how loving awful the world is about who they'll accept as leaders. Give them a rich handsome white guy, and practically nothing else matters. But brilliant, strong-willed people like Mellie and Cyrus are relegated to behind-the-scenes operators purely by accidents of their birth. And of course by being part of a political party that somehow seems to cluster the most virulent strains of essentialism within it.
Even Sally Langston, who is insane, would've been a better president than Fitz. FOR THAT MATTER, Reston, who also murdered someone, would have been better.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

Slapping/Spanking a unruly child is not abuse and calling it abuse is a slap in the face to every child who has actually been abused.

There are levels of abuse, and slapping/spanking is usually low on the scale. But it kind of depends on the parent and how much force is applied. One interesting thing I learned in a Psychology class was that corporal punishment tends to be healthier with black families (but there are definitely exceptions), because the force applied is less, it isn't done in anger quite as often, and black parents don't feel guilty about it. On the other hand, it tends to be more damaging in white families because the parents feel deeply guilty about it, and tend to do it when they're angry, both factors that lead to more intense force being applied. This isn't a hard and fast rule, but more of a general tendency. What I take away from it, though, is that among the white majority in the US, corporal punishment is executed poorly. It's basic common sense not to hit a child when you are in a rage. But that tends to be when slapping and spanking happens. It doesn't come off to the children as necessary correction. It comes off as MOMMY/DADDY IS HURTING ME.
Not to mention, also, that behaviorist psychologists have done a ton of research proving that reward is vastly more effective than punishment, and physical punishment often has the opposite of the desired effect. So even light physical punishment should be used far less frequently than it is currently. Authoritarian parents have an unscientific conviction in the effectiveness of hurting their children as a behavioral corrective, not unlike people's conviction that torture GETS RESULTS DAMMIT.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

zoux posted:

Uh doesn't he realize that Walter White Is The Guy You Root For?

I will never understand this mindset. Walter White is a pathetic person, and you'd have to fast forward through a lot of scenes to miss that, or be a colossal idiot. Or, I dunno, a violence-desensitized borderline sociopath.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Fooz posted:

I can't understand the mentality of watching that show stewing in repulsion of the main character. Did you read the title of the show? Bad is the product. We know that it's bad.

I never "stewed in repulsion". I love the show, I just never watched it seeing Walter as a badass. He's an egomaniacal prick with self-serving justifications for his shittiness, and it is UTTERLY FASCINATING to watch him plunge further and further.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

raditts posted:

Seriously, they make it crystal (lol) clear that he is not a good person and that you should not consider him a good person, and I'm only halfway through season 2. Do people seriously think you're supposed to root for him just because he's the main character? Did you suckers who watched Dexter all the way through think the same thing there?

Honestly the Dexter supporters were EVEN MORE DISTURBING, considering just how many people he killed, and the sort of insane logic that makes it okay to murder people just as long as they're "bad guys".

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

I always like and enjoy signing along to the most hated tv theme songs. Including Orange is the New Black. And I sigh whenever they go with the short intro for Mindy Project. I'm sorry.

I always liked Psych's theme song. :getin:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Fooz posted:

Kimmy Schmidt is good but damnit I thought I was done with that incredibly obnoxious 30 rock music.

I like it because it reminds me of 30 Rock, and makes me nostalgic for it. Kinda makes me want to go back and watch some classic episodes.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

IRQ posted:

Grew out of what, not liking a particular director's very defined style? Fine, maybe whatever it even was isn't anything like Wes Anderson's rancid garbage movies. Maybe focus on that and why rather than ridiculing me for nebulous reasons, because that's sure to persuade me. Or should I have grown out of recommendations in this thread entirely or something? I don't get it.

No, I believe what was meant by that is a tendency to rapidly jump to conclusions and declare something "not for me" based on minimal information. Which is a thing children and political conservatives do, and grown-ups should, ideally, avoid doing as much as possible.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Oh, don't mind me -- I'm just waiting for this to be TV IV's Official Columbo Thread, because goddamn Peter Falk does such an amazing job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hxXjX57zgg

Especially at 34:15. Dick van Dyke is the typical Columbo culprit, and it is such a kick to see how quickly he becomes unraveled once he realizes where Columbo had him.

Ever since I discovered it on Netflix last summer, Columbo has been my favorite show ever. I love everything about it, especially Peter Falk and THAT CAR. :allears:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Deadpool posted:

My grandfather loved Diagnosis Murder. It was basically appointment viewing. Even for repeats. I remember staying with him and being bored out of mind watching it.

I loved Diagnosis Murder when I was a kid. In general, my TV tastes as a kid were like those of a 70 year old retiree, save for the Saturday morning cartoons. Loved JAG, Matlock, Diagnosis Murder, Walker Texas Ranger, Martial Law, and also a number of old shows aired on one of those broadcast retro channels, including Bewitched, Perry Mason, The Andy Griffith Show, I Dream of Jeannie, and Hawaii Five-O. For whatever reason, my favorite contemporary comedy was Frasier.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Thwomp posted:

I don't care if you hate the CW or comic book characters or both but everyone owes it to themselves to catch the latest episode of The Flash. poo poo was bananas and so was Mark Hamill.

:agreed:

Although it does have some obvious flaws endemic to the show (Iris being lied to by everyone for no good reason, some bad minor character casting, cheesy dialogue), but they're easier to ignore than ever before when you have Mark Hamill, Tom Cavanagh, and Jesse L. Martin killing it.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Ravane posted:

I DIDN'T loving CREATE THIS ISSUE!

When I first came on here to TVIV, I was being completely sincere about everything, My first thread was the Parks and Rec thread. Some dude made a joke about wanting vegetarians to kill themselves, which I said was very offensive (Being vegetarian myself). I got called a Social Justice Warrior for loving defending vegetarians. Make any other joke, don't tell a class of people to kill themselves for no reason.

I go to the Arrow thread, which is full of comic talk. I don't read comics and it's genuinely my first exposure to the Arrow. I'm asking questions about the Arrow and about its villains. I don't loving know the difference between Slade Wilson and Deathstroke. I know Slade from Teen Titans, I never assumed him to be the same as Deathstroke. A simple Go gently caress yourselves to the people who called me a troll for not knowing the difference.

Then comes the joke about not knowing who Alfred Hitchcock was on this thread. Of course I've heard of Psycho, but no I had no idea who Alfred Hitchcock was and that's not trolling, no matter what I said to save face and no matter what others said. I didn't know that he was a famous director, who gives a gently caress. My PhD's not in watching movies guys, it's in Biochemistry. And from then on, every small thing I don't know from the very specific to the very general has had me being called a troll.

So go gently caress yourselves, all of you, because I'm sick of being called a troll, when I'm not trolling. You guys made me into this "troll" person. Every time I post my opinion, it's always "Oh Ravane's just trolling." Go gently caress yourselves for being so dismissive.

I've been completely serious for the last week or so, and I've still got a bunch of Ravane's trolling posts, which means it's not my problem, it's yours. It's gotten to the point where if I even slightly disagree with any of you, you immediately claim "Ravane's trolling" EVEN WHEN I'M loving RIGHT (I'M TALKING ABOUT YOU ZOUX AND YOUR RACIST TIRADE!).

But the thing is I don't give a poo poo that you have called me a troll. Just give me the chance to loving change and post normally. You guys treat me like poo poo on here to the point that one of you asked me to "kill myself". WHAT THE gently caress! When have I ever told any of you guys to kill yourselves? Never! I value you guys decently enough that I'd never say anything like that, even when I say gently caress off, I say it half jokingly because I get you guys are actual people with feelings. To the rear end in a top hat that told me to kill myself on this thread, gently caress you dude.

I don't think I've ever been that bad of a troll to warrant anyone to say that. I'm not bullying children here, I'm making loving DAD JOKES every once in a while. Literally, the hatred that you guys have for me is unwarranted. But it's gotten so bad, that I see random posts from new people in other threads that say "Oh it's just Ravane, nobody likes him." NEW PEOPLE that have barely even formed an opinion about me are getting on the Ravane hate train. Yeah, so you guys did make me a loving martyr to throw all your angst and hatred against. For what?

A couple questions: "Who is this, who is that?" A few dad jokes. Some slightly racist effort posts. And a whole lot of genuine opinions about how I feel about certain tv shows, which others who feel the same way don't get pinned. Not the way I do.

TL;DR for those of you with the attention span of a squirrel: Evaluate yourselves, the problem doesn't lie with me, it lies with you.

:vince:
FWIW, you seem like a decent guy with anger issues, and some people in this forum have been really lovely to you.
In general, one of the worst problems endemic to the SA forums is a tendency to assume someone's trolling when they post an opinion with which one happens to vehemently disagree. It's not only paranoid as hell, it's mean, discourages open discussion, and gives the trolls exactly what they want. If trolls exist to sow discord, what could be better for them than getting everyone to be paranoid that everyone else might be "trolling"? The only regular troll in this thread is Irish Joe.
ON THE OTHER HAND, dude you need to tone it down. Stop getting mad about things on the internet. Maybe lurk for a few months. I have a bad rep on another forum for the same kind of accidental belligerence, so I keep a low profile here to counter that. I suggest you do the same until you learn to CALM THE gently caress DOWN.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

People lose their minds over GoT because most people don't read dark subversions of High Fantasy, even though there's tons of them out there now. People raised on Lord of the Rings and Star Wars are utterly shocked by the show's brutal twists.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Disappointingly, I don't think Kirk Acevedo's character in Agents of SHIELD actually died, just got grievously wounded by a tree splintered into bits by a girl with earthquake powers. But he definitely got super-murdered in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, by an ape.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

im watching monk

good. it's never super great appt. television, but Tony Shalhoub always gave 200% to the role. Sharona was way better than Natalie, tho. I liked the episode where there was a garbage truck driver strike, so the city streets were piled full of trash, and he was SO MISERABLE that he couldn't solve a crime, so they had to take him to the clean room of a chemical lab so he could think.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

loving lol, NBC has learned absolutely nothing. All of those look terrible. Jaime Alexander deserves a way better vehicle than Generic Mystery Box Series #49

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

zoux posted:

Trailer for AMCs new show Humans:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shMkkM-6iXg

Look forward to this seriously disappointing me.

huh, William Hurt and the lady from The IT Crowd. Interesting.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Sober posted:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fox-new-show-trailers-at-794758

Some trailers for Fox's new pilots:

Rosewood, The Grinder, Grandfathered, The Frankenstein Code, Minority Report, and Lucifer.

Uh, The Grinder looks sort of fun. Rob Lowe's just outright making fun of himself at this point, pretty great. And Rosewood looks cookie-cutter, but maybe also sort of enjoyable? The leads seems to have good chemistry.

Making Lucifer a cop show is absurdly disappointing. All the directions you could take that premise in, and you go with cop show? Really? And of course Lucifer is British. And has sexual tension with the no-nonsense lady cop. UGH NETWORK TV SUCKS.

Lol, Minority Report is cribbing so hard from the movie, in style and in terms of wanting to be sort of a direct sequel almost?

And Frankenstein Code is...huh. Okay. That guy doesn't really look like a young Philip Baker Hall or act sufficiently like him. And that bothers me more than perhaps it should.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

My god, Quentin's perfect. and Elliott as well. But I don't recognize any of the other characters. Seems like they're leaning hard into the magic being cool, but emotionally unhealthy theme pretty hard (MAGIC IS A DRUG).

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

zoux posted:

How many of y'all have ever started watching a show based on a seeing a cool gif of it?

Well, one poster's avatar inspired me to watch Steven Universe, and the big internet buzz over the very end of <CONTROVERSIAL ANIMATED SERIES> got me to marathon all four seasons. NO REGRETS ON EITHER.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

wait so what is even the deal with Taxi Brooklyn? I've watched a couple episodes, and it's...surreal. The framing of shots and the editing is off-kilter in some undefinable way, and the performances are all weird, except Jacky Ido, who is awesome and having a great time. Is it intentionally a deadpan comedic parody of cop shows? :psyduck:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Uhh some weird XFiles news

awesome. Home was a great episode.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

So I didn't really follow TV through the 2014-2015 season except for watching The Flash/Arrow/Agents of SHIELD/Gravity Falls/Survivor/Daredevil. And I caught Brooklyn 99 up until January or so, when I got behind.
yes I know, terrible taste. But I was in school and didn't have the emotional capacity to watch anything serious.

But now I have a week's worth of time to kill, and a desire to do some serious binge-watching. WHAT SHOULD I WATCH?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

If you haven't watched BoJack Horseman, give that a try. I also STRONGLY recommend Halt and Catch Fire if you're down for a (much) slower paced character drama. The first season is flawed for many, but it finishes strong, and season 2 has already improved on it ten-fold.

Its badass soundtrack doesn't hurt either.

oh yeah, I did watch Bojack Horseman as well. but I will definitely put Halt and Catch Fire on my list. I really, really like Lee Pace.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Aw, is there really no thread for UnREAL? That's disappointing, I really wanted to talk about it here with people. Anyone else watching it?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

Key's the skinny one, right? If so, yeah, he's pretty good. The fat one.. not so much.

Apparently the Emmy voters agree with you, as he was the one nominated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Shageletic posted:

That skip was the beginning of the end of BSG's good episodes.

BTW the Brink isn't popular enough around here to merit a thread apparantly, but its managed to end up being good! Or at least not as bad.

What, did you forget the mutiny arc? That was the best set of episodes in the show's whole run.

• Locked thread