Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Is this a genchat thread for television/streaming shows? (Are we calling them Oinkie Bobbies now?)

Is there a thread for Amazon Pilot Season somewhere that I couldn't find, or do we talk about that here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The Edge book series is great and the violence is even more over the top than what was on the screen in parts. I love every bit of this show especially Max Martini getting an honest to god leading role.

This is what I sought out this thread to talk about. The Edge pilot was completely loving ridiculous. It went from "maybe this is kind of serious" to "okay this is like a Red Dead Redemption movie" to "lol fuckin wat?!". I would watch more of that, although a few bits left a bad taste in my brain.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

Red Dead you say?

I'll have to check this out.

I posted about it briefly in the cineD gen-chat thread. I compared it to RDR, and then GTA, because the level/timing/amount of chaotic violence feels a lot like the sort of thing that happens in an open-world game. And you can't take it seriously at all, the plot is loving lollerskates. There's no point in my trying to give examples of what I'm talking about, it's only an hour long, so everyone go watch it@

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It's actually toned down slightly from the books.

I believe it. It's less the amount/level of violence than the timing/comedy aspect of it that I was comparing to GTA/RDR.

There's a couple of effects shots and background effects that look really terrible. Other than that, I really liked the visuals.

edit: ^yeah how do I do that?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The novels' writing is that sarcastic too! They are really amazing.

George G. Gilman wrote 61 of them (pseudonym for Terry Harknett).

https://web.archive.org/web/20050317155839/http://pulprack.com/arch/2002/11/the_flesh_blood.html

I'm not arguing with that, but translating comedic timing from a book to the screen isn't something that takes care of itself.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

I remember watching a couple of episodes, saying "this poo poo is retarded" and never watching it again. Gonna stick with that one, myself.

If this is in reference to Nikita, i'm in the same boat. I don't think I made it through the pilot. Which was a real disappointment for me since I am a fan of both La Femme Nikita and the Point of No Return remake. I never watched the series. The way the trainees socializing in the cafeteria was like, the opposite of the oppressive depressing tone that I want in stories like that, I have no desire to watch a teen highschool drama "that's edgy because they're assassins".

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Spatula City posted:

That's only the first half of the first season that really has that, and things get considerably more interesting as the show goes on. Xander Berkeley is the most magnificent diabolical villain. YOU ARE MISSING OUT ON SOME PRIMO SCENERY-CHEWING.
Nikita is more the main character than Alex, and the show is fundamentally different from the other properties because it shows Nikita after she got out of the organization, working to destroy it.

Yeah, it's just that in the two films, the organization comes off as really cold and diabolical, and the new series wasn't selling that, so the idea of Nikita's crusade against the CW's hitman highschool wasn't as engaging. I'm sure I'll give it another shot sometime.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know anyone who watches the in-between skits. MST3k is okay. I feel like it's making bad jokes about bad subject matter, which ends up not often being as funny as if it were making good jokes at bad subject matter.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I really wanted Quantico to be good, based on the like, one tv spot I saw.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ShakeZula posted:

There's nothing stupid about having a super-serious commercial-break cliffhanger about whether the main characters will be killed by a bomb...as part of the "6 months ago" flashback narrative, when we've seen all of them alive and well in the present, not even talking about that time they almost got killed by a bomb.

Okay maybe I need to watch this.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of FBI Assistant Directors... I am so pumped that AD SKINNER is in the new X-Files miniseries. He was one of my favorite side characters on X-Files, but he got fat like, ages ago, so I figured he was done, but he's back in the teaser and that's loving awesome.

God I hope it doesn't suck. I mean hell, I'll be happy if it's as good as the last movie, and that's a low loving bar.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Man, I don't know what it is... trailers for the movie made it look like Smug Douche: The Movie and all these pics from the show still make it look like Smug Douche: The Series. It actually sounds like it would be really fun/funny if I wasn't a huge rear end in a top hat and actually liked fun.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Wandle Cax posted:

Mitch Pileggi's been in lots of stuff since the x-files, he's been working constantly in television to this day.

Oh I didn't mean to imply that he was out of work. I only thought he let himself go because I saw him in Reaper. I knew he was working, I just though that he wouldn't be able to play Skinner again, and if he did, he wouldn't look the part anymore. Obviously I sold him short. That's my bad. And I couldn't be happier about it.

edit: Honestly my problem with Limitless is my understanding of the concept. I was given the impression that there's not a lot of real conflict or risk because the premise is that the protagonist has a deus ex machina to outsmart his way out of any real crisis. Now I know that my not be entirely accurate, but it's the vibe that it's sending off.

It's not like I hate the show (or movie) because of my limited perception of it, that's just why I think it might not be for me.

Snak fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 12, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Ichabod Crane not being a US citizen is a way better subplot than it has any right o be.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

hcreight posted:

With Bob and David is out today, FYI. It has very positive reviews so far. November may be a banner month for Netflix shows.

I watched all of it last night instead of going to bed.

It's really loving good. Like concentrated Mr. Show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
When people talk about "grimdark", it's often a hyperbolic attack on a straw-man who thinks that everything is actually better when it's grim and dark. Kurt Sutter is that actual person. He's a pure "rule of cool" guy, and his idea of cool is just sex and violence and rape and people shrugging this behavior off as "poo poo happens". That's what he thinks is the coolest.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Cardboard Box A posted:

So wait, Hydra are Cthulhu cultists now?

That would be awesome.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The current Sherlock show is garbage 2/3 of the time and great the remaining 1/3 of the time. I'm not sure if that's enough to justify watching it. It also falls into the trap of trying to make the mysteries solvable by the viewer. The average viewer. Which means that Sherlock is actually a dumber sperge than the average TB viewer because we all solved this poo poo in the first 20 minutes.

Basically when it's up it's own rear end being "clever" it's poo poo, but when it's just being loving awesome and Martin Freeman gets to act, it's pretty fun.

Edit: /\ I don't hate Cumberbatch by any means, but I have yet to see any evidence that he has any range besides his one schtick.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

isn't there a rule to keep Sherlockians from posting ?

I am most definitely not a sherlockian and will quit talking about it immediately.

How are the current seasons of New Girl and Brooklyn 99? I haven't watched either since last season...

Edit: no spoilers please

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm two episodes into the new American Horror Story and it's already the second most garbage season.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Look at the CGI here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJBnK2wNQSo

It's among the worst I've ever seen. I can't name a TV show with worse CGI this year.

I think the CGI, while spotty, is the least of that film's problems. You also really can't judge CGI from trailers. Some of those effects looked okay, and some looked really, really, bad. But the movie looks like it has the dumbest plot and characters you could have for a movie like that, so even if the effects in the trailer are unfinished, it's still going to be loving terrible.

I hope it's a secret Stargate movie.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

Watching Scream Queens for the first time.... holy poo poo it's funny.

Is it good? I head mixed things, but I love Jamie Lee Curtis and the ads I've seen were hit-or-miss funny.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I wasn't sold after the first episode, but I am hooked now. Jessica Jones is really good.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

How is it (actually this is more of an open question) compared to Daredevil? Because I did like that show but it was quite a lot worse than people would have you think.

I'm like 7 episodes an and I think it's better than Daredevil. Daredevil feels kinda unfocused during the beginning and doesn't find its stride until Wilson Fisk starts getting developed. Jessica Jones dives right in. It's a darker, more disturbing show, but its theme s are much more well developed and integrated than DD's were.

Some people have harped on JJ's fight choreography. I think it's good that the action is more like television comic book violence. The emotional trauma in JJ is so much darker that if the action was as brutal and "realistic" as DD, it would just be too much.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, call me a wuss if you want. I also can't watch Law & Order: SVU because a show where literally every episode is about rape is just too depressing.

Jessica Jones is thematically like this. And It's not just about rape and also metaphorical rape, but a level of emotional sadism that is way beyond a "regular villain". The end of the first episode is a good example. Kilgrave forces people to do horrible things they don't want to, and then makes them live it. This is great and thematically powerful villain material, but if you are someone who feels empathy for fictional characters in stories, there's no reason it wouldn't be emotionally draining.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
We're also just used to the strong vein of "karma" or "just desserts" that most television has. Most mainstream media that has bad guys do horrible things has those things avenged and the victims get their justice. Jessica Jones is partially about how hurting the people that hurt do doesn't do jack poo poo about the trauma you've already endured.

While Matt is obsessed with punishing the guilty, Jessica just wants justice for the victims and and for no more people to get hurt. I expect that with Punisher being DD season 2, that Matt will explore the difference between punishment and justice.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Supernatural fans probably have a valid reason to dislike her.

What's that?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There's no chance it won't be somewhat distinct from both of them.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Was Sens8 this year? because that makes my top ten.

Lady Gaga's costuming continues to the only watchable aspect of American Horror StoryTrain Wreck.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

I can't even.

I don't...

It doesn't...

:doh:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Some people have so little of a concept what math is that they-

I don't even care.

If 1 times 1 is 2, then what is 1 times 2?

tProduct :: int -> int -> int
tProduct 1 1 = 2
tProduct 2 2 = 4

tProduct 2 2 = tProduct (tProduct 1 1) (tProduct 1 1)

so 1 * 1 * 1 * 1 = 4

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Except the square root of 2 is 1.4, so that's the end of that theory.

Yeah I noticed that also, however, I wouldn't say it is 1.4, since the square root of 2 is irrational and specifically can't be expressed at 7/5 (or any quotient of two integers)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Cause that's what the comic is called.

cause her skin is white like an iPod and she's a zombie? or it's like iCarly but with zombies? It's like brand recognition except that it's just that putting 'i' in front of words is just shorthand for "this is trendy" in our culture now.

edit: It's also obviously a pun on "I, Robot"/"I, Frankenstein" naming convention.

I, Mordred.

Snak fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 3, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Toxx has thrown up this year's TVIV Top 10 poll:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754622

Everyone go in and enjoy! (And remember to vote for Sense8)

I am too dumb to understand the rules, but that is a cool idea.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Thanks. The part I got hung up on was

quote:

It HAS to be numbered. You CANNOT list two shows within the same submission and expect your submission to be counted, even if they are complimentary shows. You MUST post your submission in comprehensible English. You MUST post your submission in one post.
I'm assuming that, in the second sentence, Toxx means that you cannot list two shows with the same rank?

I will get on this, if there's 10 shows that I've watched this year...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

hollylolly posted:

It reminds me so much of the one season show Defying Gravity I wouldn't be surprised if it has the same writers. Caveat: I only watched the pilot of Quantico

IMDB's common cast/crew search returns no results between Quantico and Defying Gravity. Which is too bad, it's really fun when hunch theories like that turn out to be true.

I will never stop searching for evidence than the worst episode of Star Trek: the Next Generation started it's life as an X-Files episode, even though I have found no supporting evidence so far.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
She's a famous, attractive celebrity. That's the reason.

edit: But she's not as famous in the US, so they want to use media coverage to try to import her fame. The media essentially manufactures fame and celebrity status in order to monetize it. It's much easier to do with someone who is already a celebrity somewhere than it is to just find an attractive person on the street and turn them into a profitable celebrity.

Snak fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 5, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not saying it's bad or a mark against her. I'm just saying that all the things I said are reasons why there would be media coverage about NBC getting her on one of their shows.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Grey's Anatomy is so bad that, without ever having watched it, I have learned through cultural osmosis how terrible it is. I will now apply this "knowledge" to Quantico.

MY ex girlfriend refused to believe that Dawson's Creek was a good show, and said that she would only watch it if I watched Grey's Anatomy. I told her that was bullshit, because she admitted that Grey's Anatomy was terrible, and it was unfair to make we watch a terrible show because I was making her watch a good show.

Fortunately, I broke up with her and am happily re-watching Dawson's Creek with my bff now.

And my ex insisted that Dawson's Creek was dumb because she knew how the show ended. I asked her how the show ended and she told me some poo poo that never happened in the show and insisted that she was right about the ending of a show that she had never seen because of some episode she half-remembered seeing.

This is why I only date liquor bottles now.

edit: She was not as bad as the previous ex who got mad at me for not telling her who the cylons where during Battlestar Galactica. I like to say that's when I knew things wouldn't work out with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
My favorite Grey's Anatomy related thing is this Cracked article titled "8 New TV Show Ideas Almost as Stupid as 'Grey's Anatomy'".

Yes it's a link to Cracked.com. Don't click if you are to pretentious for poo poo like that. If you are like me and love to read rants that you agree with in order to feel vindicated, it's a pro click.

• Locked thread