Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rocksicles posted:

I just rewatched the triple episode arc in Stargate Atlantis from 3x20-4x01-4x02. It always blows me away, some of the best hard sci-fi going imo.
But the end was brilliant.

I love the SG franchise, but there is nothing hard SF in it. It's pretty straight Space Opera, with magic tech and human one-trait-one-culture aliens. But the episodes you mention were really outstanding.

This makes me wish SGU had gotten another season. It became so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Mu Zeta posted:

Are there procedurals that don't involve cops/lawyers/doctors?

All these authority goups (and I count PIs, nurses, superhero/supernatural detectives/police as such) make it easy to write a procedural, because you simply have an easy excuse for a "case of the week". But sure, there were others too - Love Boat, Fantasy Island, Alphas, Leverage, Burn Notice for example. Currently I can't think of any still airing that don't revolve around some sort of authority agency/group.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Toxxupation posted:

Reminder that Woody Allen raped his then-seven-year-old stepdaughter, then felt like it was a swell idea to attack her via an editorial

Reminder that it's not quite so simple as about 50000 pages of discussion in CD will show you.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Aphrodite posted:

HIMYM's ending is built over the entire show and it fits the narrative perfectly.

Sure, if you ignore everything after season 2, especially the last two seasons when they spent hours on showing us how good a pairing Robin and Barney are, and how it's ~~TRUE LOVE~~. I think it was Sepinwall how said, it was a finale for people who only watched the first season. And would only have worked if they had cast a far worse and less likeable actress as mother.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

muscles like this? posted:

I was watching old episodes of Bones on TNT and I realized I somehow missed a plot point. After the whole arc of Zach and the Gormagon they did the whole thing where Zach was in a mental institution but still helping out but in later seasons they don't mention it or him at all.

Did they actually write a conclusion to that or did they just kind of drop it between seasons?

It was simply dropped. IIRC the actor who played Zach left the series because the traveling was too much or something other shooting related.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Clamknuckle posted:

When you stop enjoying it?

We don't watch TV for enjoyment 'round here, Chuckles. It's serious business.

Boogaleeboo posted:

The most ridiculous moment is when one of the doctors that lost their hand in a random helicopter accident is later crushed to death by a random helicopter accident. And nobody notices for days.

There are few things that top the death of Rocket Romano and the amount of mirth they heaped on it.

Decius fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 9, 2015

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Shoddy reporting.

quote:

in the Christmas Special he said a bridge they'd built in Argentina wasn't straight because it "had a slope on it" when an Asian man walked over it, a wink-and-nudge-to-the-camera act of offensiveness that was swiftly punished by OFCOM;

Everyone knows that wasn't in the Argentina special of 2014, it was the Burma special in 2013 at the river Kwai. 2014 was when he allegedly used the n-word in his counting rhyme. I take my casual racism by Clarkson seriously. :colbert:

Decius fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 11, 2015

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Except for his casual racism, misogyny, transphobia and disdain/apathy about climate change (which all are probably more a generational thing than outright malice) I think nearly everything of his outrageous stuff is simply a persona is very well paid to play in newspapers and on TV. Like most comedians are at most an exaggerated persona of themselves, often a totally different in RL. The problem with it is that he gives others the impression that it is ok to be such an shithead, since at worst he gets a slap on the wrist.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rarity posted:

For those of you who gave up on Gotham early the show you all knew that Barbara was absolutely awful in every capacity. Well, the show has managed to rehabilitate her

...by having her turn out to be a murderous psycho. It's amazing for it's ballsiness alone.

If you have a character nobody likes (while we're supposed to do so) and who drags the show down you have two options: Write the character out (for example kill Fish Mooney) or make him/her a villain. With the latter you still can kill her later on.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

GreenNight posted:

iZombie has gotten an early season 2 renewal.

That's great news, love the show.

muscles like this? posted:

The Mindy Project was canceled.

I liked it, not so much to be really sad, since the thing had already used 12 of its 9 lives anyway.

xeria posted:

I wonder if that might spell similar trouble for Elementary on CBS, since TVBTN's sole reasoning for it getting a guaranteed renewal was for much the same reason as Mindy Project's. (Granted different networks and all, but if the "automatic 4th season renewal" logic wasn't in play, Elementary would probably be on the same rung as H50.)

Don't scare me, we can't lose Elementary already. Such a good show.

Decius fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 7, 2015

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Sir Kodiak posted:

and the half a dozen people able to recognize that something can be both good and imperfect.

gently caress those non-committal wheenies.

Aphrodite posted:

SA's dead now.

TVIV is probably responsible.

It's all your fault, Annakie. You could have stopped this. You could have saved us.

SA hit its height on Oct 13, 2005 , since then it's only a slow death spiral.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Irish Joe posted:

I hope Kumail doesn't get the X-Files because he's a terrible actor who plays the same semi-sarcastic foreign guy in every loving show.

He plays a semi-sarcastic white guy this time around to break the mold.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Irish Joe posted:

Argh, Women!

I'll bite for you:
If these uppity women just shut up and stop being WRONG ON THE INTERNET they wouldn't have all those rape, bomb and murder threat issues!

Can the rule of Irish Joe not posting in the thread please be amended to not bringing poo poo outside to other threads just to skirt the rule?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

lelandjs posted:

Okay but what about all the sitcoms that have failed because they got bad ratings or reviews?

You can ask that about any genre. Are dramas dying because more than 50 % of the new ones presented have failed? No, because that's what happens pretty much every year. Sitcoms probably have a better hit:miss ratio than dramas if anything (because they are cheaper to produce and easy to sell as schedule filler).

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Kurtofan posted:

Are you implying that xena, the warrior princess is bad.

No reboot can ever be as good or fun, so it's doomed from the start, making the whole thing a exercise in futility.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Mu Zeta posted:

Watching Blindspot and the cops just took images of all her tattoos. So I guess she won't ever be naked on the show again.

With a 9h makeup-session for the full bodyshots she pretty sure won't be (network) naked or even bare-armed very often I'd wager.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rarity posted:

From what I saw, Supergirl is the superhero show that Hollywood thinks women want to watch. I suspect Jessica Jones will be the superhero show that women actually want to watch. The source material is amazing, the lead actress is quality, the released promos imply a disturbing and adult tone and Daredevil was fantastic. I think all the pieces are in place for it to be just as good as its stablemate.

Women aren't a solid block of likes and dislikes and both Supergirl and Jessica Jones can both get a part of the female audience. Lois & Clark, Smallville had a sizeable share of female fans, so I don't think Supergirl is designed outside the target audience any more than Jessica Jones is. I'm sure there are also many women (and men), who will watch both.
Enough people watch both Gotham and Flash which tonally (and at least season 1 qualitywise) are pretty much the opposite end of the superhero series offerings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

corn in the bible posted:

Becomers is stupid because its meaningless and sounds retarded hth

That sounds like something a Stayer would say, not a Becomer.

• Locked thread