Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Burt Buckle posted:

Does TNA really pay their top guys six figures?
Yes, but not the homegrown ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Cheapest tickets at the door are $23

Here's what that got me: https://www.dropbox.com/s/43hx72yexkezu9j/Photo%20Jan%2008%2C%206%2047%2024%20PM.jpg?dl=0

This is my own fault for getting too tipsy at my work happy hour :(

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 9, 2015

Young Pageviews
May 26, 2014

Let's get this wrestling!
I am in the same section, I think one row back.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I just can't believe Kurt is back in the ring again, the way his legs sort of bend inwards at an unatural angle really creeps me out

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I heard from a semi-reliable source that Kurt Angle was wearing some big jeans can anyone confirm/deny?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

NienNunb posted:

I heard from a semi-reliable source that Kurt Angle was wearing some big jeans can anyone confirm/deny?

They were big by normal standards but nowhere in the same universe as MVP's two taped-together bedazzled denim windsocks.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

I just realized that the band doing the theme for Impact last night was Crazytown. Yes, this Crazytown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWnP9r222DY

You are a goddamn liar. It's impossible. That's too funny.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
After watching that Impact all I can say is that I am worried about Brodus. He looks so sad.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Young Pageviews & I got to move to some pretty decent seats for $23 a pop

I would go as far to say this: if TNA is in your town, and it is $25 or less, consider going. It is a decent show with dumb angles but some good matches. However that was also my first live wrestling show so I'm probably more positive than most might be.

Also, apparently tomorrow's show featuring one or more cage matches is sold out, with some tickets possibly being released tomorrow morning. I don't know how much of that is because of the draw of a cage match and how much of that is because it's Friday.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

A hot crowd can make even a bad show fun to attend. I went to TNA Slammiversary last year and had a blast at the show but when i caught a replay of it on TV i was very very bored.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Forgive me if I'm misremembering but didn't they act like Havok vs Kong was some kind of dream match after the battle royale?

Young Pageviews
May 26, 2014

Let's get this wrestling!
I would say that the show exceeded my expectations, which were that it would be actively very bad. Overall, I would rate the show as being pretty alright. Samoa Joe and Kurt Angle had a match that I really liked. It wasn't a MOTYC or anything by a long shot, and I don't necessarily know if I'd say you should go out of your way to see it, but it was a good TV match.

In general, I am a mark for mid-aughts ROH folks (Ki, Aries, Joe) because I was in high school when all that happened and so now am happy to see those dudes out of nostalgia. I also liked the advertised American Wolves vs. Hardy Boyz match, which had a neat finishing sequence.

There was some dumbfuck booking and in one or two cases it felt like they went through several months of storytelling in 2-3 weeks, but it is TNA and I am not really invested emotionally either way. Also they had a feast or fired match, which I think is a very dumb concept. The thinness of the roster really comes through on a TV taping where you see the same people so many times. I hope you like MVP's new heel group, because those dudes are all over these shows.

As far as ~IWC celebrities~, I saw Sam Roberts and Noelle Foley, the latter of whom Jeremy Borash mentioned by name.

In sum, my endorsement is probably not as strong as abraham linksys. I was jonesing for some live wrasslin, and I have been hanging out at home all week, and so an okay-ish TNA show was a decent way to spend a Thursday night.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

Testekill posted:

Forgive me if I'm misremembering but didn't they act like Havok vs Kong was some kind of dream match after the battle royale?
They did, and it is. Credit where it's due, I think TNA actually is the first promotion to do this match up. Kong's obviously wrestled just about everyone, Havok had a really nice hoss-off with Alpha Female in WSU last year.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Cory Lidle posted:

They did, and it is. Credit where it's due, I think TNA actually is the first promotion to do this match up. Kong's obviously wrestled just about everyone, Havok had a really nice hoss-off with Alpha Female in WSU last year.

But is it really a dream match? I mean, I honestly think that Havok is an incredibly inconsistent talent who has a massive gap between her good and bad matches and I don't think that a Kong with a back injury is the type that will lead her to a good match.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

Testekill posted:

But is it really a dream match? I mean, I honestly think that Havok is an incredibly inconsistent talent who has a massive gap between her good and bad matches and I don't think that a Kong with a back injury is the type that will lead her to a good match.
I can't say I've seen an outright bad Havok match until they trotted out Velvet Sky for their Japan Bound for Glory. She can brawl, she can catch/ragdoll smaller girls, she's a hell of a promo (not really sure why TNA doesn't have her talk more).

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

By the end of this poo poo Kong will be out with a back injury, Rebel will have killed the whole roster somehow, Velvet Sky and Bully Ray will be working Japanese indies, and we'll have Havok vs Toxis at Bound for Glory.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Is Bully Ray with Velvet or something?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Is Bully Ray with Velvet or something?

Yeah, for a while.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I am honestly stunned to know that goddamn Crazytown is still A Thing :stare:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

DJExile posted:

I am honestly stunned to know that goddamn Crazytown is still A Thing :stare:

Well doing a song for TNA doesn't really make them "A Thing", if anything it proves the opposite

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Well doing a song for TNA doesn't really make them "A Thing", if anything it proves the opposite

i think he meant "still exists on this mortal plane"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

WeaponX posted:

Pretty much, yeah. You could have asked millions of people if they thought Crazytown was still together as a band, and every answer would have been either "no" or "wait, who?"

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

come come, m'lady

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

flashy_mcflash posted:

come come, m'lady

You're my money mark, Dixie baby

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

come come, m'lady

Charles Gnarwin posted:

You're my money mark, Dixie baby

hell yeah

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
That Crazy Town?

:psypop:

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
really enjoyed babyface kurt angle going for rollups 10 seconds into the street fight that he initiated

davey richards and abyss are both such complete dogshit in such completely different ways that it was fascinating to see them work together

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Shifty Shellshock lives

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

DJExile posted:

Pretty much, yeah. You could have asked millions of people if they thought Crazytown was still together as a band, and every answer would have been either "no" or "wait, who?"

They only recently got back together. Want to say within the last year. Not that anyone knew that, or that they had broken up, or cared.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

263,000 viewers Wednesday night

https://twitter.com/thewadekeller/status/553613926458740737

It's not gonna get any higher

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
F4W is reporting 359,000

Not sure why the discrepancy. Maybe Wade only has certain demo viewers?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
Observer says 359,000

beaten

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

I'd trust Melzter more.

Even based on amount of homes that get that channel that's still a big drop.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

359k is close to what I expected.

Of course, given that this was the debut on Destination America and was almost-live, I imagine viewership will drop significantly from here on.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Vertical Lime posted:

I'd trust Melzter more.

Even based on amount of homes that get that channel that's still a big drop.

It's a big drop but well above the average of Destination America.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ruh roh!

quote:

Fake Stuff Out At Discovery Channel, Promises New Chief Rich Ross: TCA

Bye bye, men eaten by snakes!

So long, mermaids!

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out, Megalodons!

TV critics fell deeply, madly in love with new Discovery Channel chief Rich Ross this morning at Image (2) Rich-Ross__121030170026-275x301.jpg for post 362290Winter TV press Tour 2015 when he said he would not continue the network’s trend of telecasting fake stuff.

“It’s not whether I’m a fan of it,” Ross said, which critics let slide. “I don’t think it’s right for Discovery Channel, and think it’s something that has run its course. They’ve done very well… but I don’t think it’s something that’s right for us.”

Critics came ready to do battle with the new programming chief over some of the programs they most love to hate on the brand they once adored. That includes its two fake mermaid documentaries, and two suggesting the Megalodon still roams the ocean — the second of which, Megalodon: The New Evidence became the highest rated episode of the network’s most recent Shark Week, with 4.8 million viewers.

So excited did the critics become with his news, they started asking Ross if he’d kill Finding Bigfoot – and maybe some of the freak-show series like My Crazy Obsession — on other Discovery Communications networks Ross is not tasked with overseeing.

Once he’d explained patiently to them that he “just has to worry about what I do,” they settled down and got back to Discovery Channel shows.

“Do you haves plans to repair relationships with scientists and educators who felt those shows betrayed a mission and gave false information?” one critic asked eagerly.

Ross explained patiently he’d made a very strong statement this morning as to the direction in which he’s taking Discovery Channel, naming HBO veteran John Hoffman as Executive Vice President of Documentaries and Specials. “This was not just a signal, it was a message that it’s very important to us, and to me, that when people are telling stories and they’re delivering information that it is true and can be entertaining as well, which is mandatory.”

Discovery is “more narrowly niched than it needs to be,” Ross said, and that he intends to return Discovery Channel to the “No. 1 brand for whole family and not just for the men in the family.”

Even beauty pageant questions, like “What is your dream project?” he kept on-point, responding he’s looking for programs that “impact people to do something,” hinting he thinks history programming is “underutilized,” and is looking at a couple of pieces of scripted programming along those lines. His idea of an ideal Discovery show is one that “makes people care and do something about it.”

Discovery’s recent, critically reviled Eaten Alive, was “the right intention, with a packaging that was deeply misleading,” Ross said. Its star and would be snake snack, tour guide/snake enthusiast Paul Rosolie cares deeply about snakes and wanted to draw attention” to them, Ross said generously; TV critics who thought Rosolie cared most deeply about promoting Rosolie let that slide too. “To me you don’t have to be so sensational, and over-promise,” he said of that show. “The fervor of that story kind of got out of control.” Ross said he’d rather program a special in which “the story is clearer and it is what you want to watch but you don’t expect something at the end of it that can’t possibly happen.”

“I don’t believe you’ll see a person being eaten by a snake in my time – I can’t over-promise that, but that’s how I feel today,” Ross said, as TV critics resisted the urge to give him a standing ovation.

Minutes later, Ross was trending on Twitter.

Ross was named President of Discovery Channel in late October, but only officially joined this month, based at the company’s L.A. office. Ross will oversee creative and brand strategy, development, production, marketing and all day-to-day operations for the network and report to David Zaslav, President and CEO of Discovery Communications. He joined Discovery from Shine America where, as CEO, he oversaw all aspects of Shine America’s production, distribution and marketing of original programming, including Fox’s MasterChef and MasterChef Junior, NBC’s The Biggest Loser, Oxygen’s The Face, CNBC’s Restaurant Startup, TruTV’s Fake-Off, FX’s The Bridge, Fox’s Gracepoint, etc.

Ross replaced Marjorie Kaplan, who only held the Discovery Channel job on an interim basis, after Zaslav named former network chief Eileen O’Neill Global Group President at Discovery Studios in one of those executive shakeups for which he’s so well known. O’Neill, a 25-year Discovery exec, was assigned to lead its worldwide production division, overseeing all international facilities and creative talent at Discovery Studios.

I'm joking, obviously, but I have to wonder if DA would've been as bullish on TNA if Ross was at the reins a month or two ago.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm joking, obviously, but I have to wonder if DA would've been as bullish on TNA if Ross was at the reins a month or two ago.

From the sounds of it, Ross is primarily concerned with Discovery Channel itself. Destination America is basically a footnote in the Discovery family right now so I doubt he's given it much attention.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Daniel Bryan posted:

F4W is reporting 359,000

Not sure why the discrepancy. Maybe Wade only has certain demo viewers?

Meltzer could be adding the replay because of there not being a west coast feed,

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

WeaponX posted:

Well one of them is dead, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

• Locked thread