Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who wins the main event?
This poll is closed.
JBJ defends 60 28.17%
DC wins 102 47.89%
We the fans 51 23.94%
Total: 213 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Here's the UFC Commercial for 182:
http://bcove.me/4a9yttys

How to watch

The uncut video that inspired the thread title:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BT1zrUnuKw

This card is full of magic, no post can live up to it.

Don't post streams, hang out in #mma on synirc.org for :tviv: and enjoy the first card of 2015!

e:

I forgot the snack rating, this is perfect:

NY Times Bitter Herbs Salad posted:

Bitter Herbs Salad

Bitter herbs – the maror – are part of the Seder ritual, symbolizing the bitterness of slavery experienced by the Jews in Egypt. Endive, romaine and chicory (for which I’ve substituted radicchio) are present on many Sephardic ritual platters, but often they also appear in salads served with the meal. This can be served as a separate course or as a side dish.

2 hearts of romaine lettuce

1 small head radicchio

2 Belgian endives

1 1/2 cups arugula or watercress, washed and dried

1 rib celery, preferably from the heart, sliced very thin

2 scallions, chopped (optional)

1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley

1/4 cup chopped fresh dill

1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint (optional)

1 small garlic clove

Salt to taste

3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

1. Wash and dry the romaine lettuce leaves and break into medium pieces. Separate the radicchio leaves and cut into medium pieces. Rinse and dry the endives and slice crosswise about 3/4 inch thick. Toss together all of the greens, the celery and the scallions in a large salad bowl and sprinkle the herbs over the top.

2. Skin the garlic clove, cut in half and remove green shoots. Place in a mortar and pestle with a generous pinch of salt and mash to a paste. Work in the lemon juice and then the olive oil. Taste and adjust salt. Transfer to a jar until ready to serve the salad.

3. Just before serving, shake the dressing in the jar, pour over the salad and toss.

Variations: Sliced radishes can be added to the salad for color.

Yield: 6 servings.

Advance preparation: The greens can be prepared, wrapped in a clean kitchen towel and then sealed in plastic bags and refrigerated, several hours ahead.

Nutritional information per serving (note that most of the calories come from the dressing; you can use less to reduce them): 210 calories; 19 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 13 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 milligrams cholesterol; 10 grams carbohydrates; 7 grams dietary fiber; 56 milligrams sodium (does not include salt to taste); 4 grams protein

Lloyd Boner posted:

All the prelims are pretty weak. There's a decent chance they'll churn out some cool finishes just because there's a couple debuts (including a trashweight fight) and some lovely fighters overall, but it'd probably be enough to catch them in GIF form after the fact.

The main card is dope though.

e: also please put this in the op

[quote="jase1"]
I hate Jon Jones and want him to lose.

$1000 to win $1583.70 on Jon Jones winning.

kensei fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I wish Daniel Cormier were really that big compared to Jon Jones because then he would gently caress his world up like no other, but that would make him a super heavyweight.

Also it's cool that there's a high chance by the end of this fight one of those guy's ~100% takedown defense rating is gonna go way down. Or Jones is just going to rake him in the eyes for 25 minutes and most of us will be left unsatisfied

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I had no idea Horiguchi vs Gaudinot was happening; Cool.,

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Has Nate been evading the police recently?

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
my prediction is: Cormier is gonna get owned, sadly.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Cormier is just another stubby black guy that jones can poke and do his moves on

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I've been out of the UFC loop (other than the top guys/girls) for a while, which undercard fights look like they're worth seeing? I only ask because it's going to be the middle of the night here so if I can get a bit of shuteye before the good stuff starts I'd feel a lot better the next day

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I've been out of the UFC loop (other than the top guys/girls) for a while, which undercard fights look like they're worth seeing? I only ask because it's going to be the middle of the night here so if I can get a bit of shuteye before the good stuff starts I'd feel a lot better the next day

4 of the 5 main card fights look like they should be good, wake up for that. do they still tack good prelims onto the main card nowadays?

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

All the prelims are pretty weak. There's a decent chance they'll churn out some cool finishes just because there's a couple debuts (including a trashweight fight) and some lovely fighters overall, but it'd probably be enough to catch them in GIF form after the fact.

The main card is dope though.

e: also please put this in the op

jase1 posted:

I hate Jon Jones and want him to lose.

$1000 to win $1583.70 on Jon Jones winning.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

manyak posted:

I agree. Cormier seems like he's custom made to get owned by Jones. It's too bad because Cormier is a cool guy and Jones is Jones, but I have a hard time imagining a stumpy guy being able to get inside to do what he needs to do.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Just tries to log into fightpass and got denied. I haven't been following the news on this- any tips?

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Jippa posted:

Just tries to log into fightpass and got denied. I haven't been following the news on this- any tips?

don't have dreams and you will be ok afterwards

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

4 of the 5 main card fights look like they should be good, wake up for that. do they still tack good prelims onto the main card nowadays?

Usually only at the end of a broadcast. I don't think they've ever stopped doing that unless the time runs over. But putting prelim fights between main card fights rarely happens from recent memory; they seem to be focusing on getting to the next fight quicker which is better.

From the top card I could see Marquardt/Tavares and Jury/Cerrone going the distance.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
The prelims are pretty bad,especially for a ppv. Dunham/damm might be entertaining, and there is a HW fight

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Oh god I'm nervous. This feels worse than Weidman/Silva 2. Someone please convince me why DC can totally win this even though history has shown that only another giant like Gustafsson can even come close to beating Jones.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Senjuro posted:

Oh god I'm nervous. This feels worse than Weidman/Silva 2. Someone please convince me why DC can totally win this even though history has shown that only another giant like Gustafsson can even come close to beating Jones.

Wrestler Matt the hammer Hamill defeated Jon Jones. Cormier is a wrestler.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Senjuro posted:

Theoretically DC can get his arms to jon jones body, and if he can then it might be good

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Jones beat Evans but didn't crush or finish him. DC is much more powerful, tougher, a better grappler, and mentally stronger than Evans. This is the first time Jones has faced a legit threat in the grappling department.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Possibly dumb question but how much does size factor into wrestling? Does DC actually have an advantage because of a lower center of mass or something?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Senjuro posted:

Most times in MMA when the world needs something to happen it eerily does. Maybe Jon Jones is a solider of Christ and he'll keep winning, but otherwise I think the time is right for him to lose and Daniel Cormier is the right guy to beat him.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Senjuro posted:

Possibly dumb question but how much does size factor into wrestling? Does DC actually have an advantage because of a lower center of mass or something?

If Cormier gets far enough inside Jones' reach to get his hands on Jones, odds are very good that Jones is getting dumped. The big question is if he can do that, and who each guy has fought doesn't give us a lot of solid idea as to whether he'll be able to do that.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
OK I'm calm now. DC's got this.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Maybe it's because I've had the week off and all I've been doing is consuming this poo poo, but this fight is going to be huge. To be honest, the UFC more needs Bones to win here because if it does live up to expectation, Jon is on the verge of superstardom and that's something they are desperately lacking realness in at the moment. It has the same feeling as Anderson/Belfort, not the one that brought him to the dance but the one that's going to make him a legend. But it's got to be a titillating, cementing performance. They start right from the bottom with Cormier, and good ole pa's kind of close to the end of the road as it is. Jones is just hitting his stride, who isn't an awkward shitlord in their 20s, especially in uncharted territory under the magnifying glass vicariously lived through by millions who think they'd do it better on first go. He's cocky, but he's good, perhaps great, and now he has reason to not give a gently caress. Not resisting against but allowing to react to the forces of the company, the public, the opponent, himself, is how he will really flourish as a fuckin' fighter. Dropping his nervous voice is Anderson finally using his English. Punching after being chopped at the conference was the exact right thing to do. The weigh-in is his next opportunity to see if he's willing to let it go to next dimension.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Some how, some way, this will be Rodrigo Damm's 7th UFC fight.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Ninja PD posted:

Maybe it's because I've had the week off and all I've been doing is consuming this poo poo, but this fight is going to be huge. To be honest, the UFC more needs Bones to win here because if it does live up to expectation, Jon is on the verge of superstardom and that's something they are desperately lacking realness in at the moment. It has the same feeling as Anderson/Belfort, not the one that brought him to the dance but the one that's going to make him a legend. But it's got to be a titillating, cementing performance. They start right from the bottom with Cormier, and good ole pa's kind of close to the end of the road as it is. Jones is just hitting his stride, who isn't an awkward shitlord in their 20s, especially in uncharted territory under the magnifying glass vicariously lived through by millions who think they'd do it better on first go. He's cocky, but he's good, perhaps great, and now he has reason to not give a gently caress. Not resisting against but allowing to react to the forces of the company, the public, the opponent, himself, is how he will really flourish as a fuckin' fighter. Dropping his nervous voice is Anderson finally using his English. Punching after being chopped at the conference was the exact right thing to do. The weigh-in is his next opportunity to see if he's willing to let it go to next dimension.

What

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ninja PD posted:

We found JBJ's fan guys

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006

He was and still is somewhat of a dumb kid learning life with the added bonus of doing it in an extraordinarily bizarre environment.

mewse posted:

We found JBJ's fan guys

Becoming one it seems.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

manyak posted:

yeah i can't wait for atom to gloat about it

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Ninja PD posted:

What the hell is this?

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Seltzer posted:

What the hell is this?

a bad post

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Senjuro posted:

OK I'm calm now. DC's got this.

Maybe Seagal taught DC how to do that weird aikido handfighting bullshit he did in all his movies, and that's how DC is going to defend his eyes.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Ninja PD posted:

is this one of those sherdog copy pastes?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
remember that goon who claimed you could stop the eye pokes by kicking or punching jones' outstretched hand and breaking it?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Skip My Posts posted:

remember that goon who claimed you could stop the eye pokes by kicking or punching jones' outstretched hand and breaking it?

Not going to lie, I would laugh really hard if that happened

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Jones almost lost his belt after breaking his toe against Chael of all people. Cormier needs to wait for him to crawl across the mat and and heel stomp his hands.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
If you dont want jones to poke you in your eyes during a fight just close them, pretty simple

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Skip My Posts posted:

That was like half the people here. It was dumb.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

Kicking or punching his hand? That is ridiculous.

He should headbutt it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=semnZPSD6aU#t=83

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Jones/Cormier seems like a fight that is going to be a 50-45 in someone's favor, but I have no idea who. I could easily see Jones staying on the outside all fight, oblique kicking the poo poo out of Cormier's legs and keeping his hands outstretched. I could also see Cormier making it inside and wrestling the poo poo out of Jones the whole time. If you had a gun to my head I'd pick Cormier to win, but who really knows. This is the best LHW fight in a long time.

• Locked thread