Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who wins the main event?
This poll is closed.
JBJ defends 60 28.17%
DC wins 102 47.89%
We the fans 51 23.94%
Total: 213 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
lmao holy poo poo. This is excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9TMBWw1yNY#t=23

UFC embedded up.

edit: I apologize if this was already posted.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jan 3, 2015

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Captain Log posted:

I also thought a good liver shot basically flushed your system with every toxin your liver was processing from the past few months. Which would make it extra nasty for the Cerrone party hard types. Then again I only have heard medical science behind liver shots from ten years of following this ridiculous sport.

All interesting info.

Went and asked my med student sister and the flushing part seems to be wrong while the liver processes toxins (alcohol and stuff) through the bile it never stores any kind of poo poo.The problem with viscera and gland type stuff is that they are really dense with nerve endings so in the process of getting your liver hosed all those terminations flare up.Then the vagus goes to poo poo and the control over breathing rhythm, heart beat rate , and arterial pressure goes haywire.

So don't get livershotted.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Lamadrid posted:

Went and asked my med student sister and the flushing part seems to be wrong while the liver processes toxins (alcohol and stuff) through the bile it never stores any kind of poo poo.The problem with viscera and gland type stuff is that they are really dense with nerve endings so in the process of getting your liver hosed all those terminations flare up.Then the vagus goes to poo poo and the control over breathing rhythm, heart beat rate , and arterial pressure goes haywire.

So don't get livershotted.

That's all pretty damned interesting based on what I thought I knew from following the sport. I've been stopped in sparring from a liver kick, trust me I know how much it blows. The why from a med student is cool.

Can some other pro PSP posters weigh in with the whole liver dumping toxin thing I've heard for years. I'm interested now.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFfEkRkHML0&hd=1

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp

Neurosis posted:

terrible except for this one

That one made me spit take. That thread made me buy an account for this place. I gotta say its the best so far.

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
Seagal lol

So close to betting something on DC but I just don't see it going his way. Prove me wrong please!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Crappers posted:

Seagal lol

So close to betting something on DC but I just don't see it going his way. Prove me wrong please!

:allears:

"Please turn that Camera off"

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

CM Punk - "Fighter"

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Steven Seagal once broke the wrist of sean connery because he wasn't paying attention to him while rehearsing an action scene in one of the bond movies.
He also wanted to throw down with Van Damme.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Crappers posted:

Seagal lol

i think i've been the most vocal proponent of dc's chances but i've bet real, actual money on jon jones

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lamadrid posted:

Steven Seagal once broke the wrist of sean connery because he wasn't paying attention to him while rehearsing an action scene in one of the bond movies.
He also wanted to throw down with Van Damme.

he sure does own actors and ballet dancers

if he isn't the longest running joke in mma he sure is the saddest

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Captain Log posted:

That's all pretty damned interesting based on what I thought I knew from following the sport. I've been stopped in sparring from a liver kick, trust me I know how much it blows. The why from a med student is cool.

Can some other pro PSP posters weigh in with the whole liver dumping toxin thing I've heard for years. I'm interested now.

Not a pro by any means but I always thought the toxin thing was more metaphorical than anything else. Just a very visual way to describe how much getting hit in the liver sucks.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

he sure does own actors and ballet dancers

if he isn't the longest running joke in mma he sure is the saddest

I swear everybody just trots him around like faking their interest in his aikido and techniques like a game of hot potato inflating his ego as much as possible but without doing deflating the comedy balloon.

gunblade
Sep 1, 2008

-Just lucky, I guess
Or perhaps it was bro science thought out by people whose only knowledge of the liver is "that's where alcohol goes!"

Biafraid
Jan 31, 2008

yeah.
Hey hi how are you, read this: http://m.fightland.vice.com/blog/fight-doctor---the-liver-kick

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Lamadrid posted:

I swear everybody just trots him around like faking their interest in his aikido and techniques like a game of hot potato inflating his ego as much as possible but without doing deflating the comedy balloon.

Seagal might be a joke and an rear end in a top hat, but it's still really funny how Anderson Silva and Machida both happened to win with weird poo poo after he somehow ended up in their entourages.

What I'm saying is that I fully expect Cormier to win by KO (cartwheel kick)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I spy with my little eye something beginning with P

and E

and D.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

i wouldn't go as far as to call that scale a pedestal

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
toxins arent even a thing

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Agreed and thank you.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Hitting people in the liver is really cool because it's 2004 and we're all watching pride with bas rutten and think that's good. Hm, oh wait. No. Actually all the fighters were always bad the entire time and bas rutten himself took a combined five and a half years to defeat jason deluca. Liver shots are for noobs and cowards, like rope breaks or beating an already unconscious Japanese man who the ref is wiggling around in front of you like how they feed zoo animals.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I'm thinking about putting money on Jones just so I have a consolation prize

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Lamadrid posted:

The last Bond movie Connery was in was in 1971, when Seagal was 19 years old, and a good 17 years before the first time Seagal was in a movie.

Seagal did once get choked out by Gene Lebell though, as has been posted in these threads on multiple occasions. And Stephen Quadros once related an anecdote about shaking Seagal's hand on-set one time and immediately having to do a hapkido wristlock escape to prevent Seagal from loving with him.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
Hey, did you guys know that Daniel Cormier is fighting Jon "Bones" Jones, today? I bet that'll be pretty cool.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

fatherdog posted:

The last Bond movie Connery was in was in 1971, when Seagal was 19 years old, and a good 17 years before the first time Seagal was in a movie.

Nah, Never say never again (1983).
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0086006/

And he was just a martial arts instructor, not an actor.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Hitting people in the liver is really cool because it's 2004 and we're all watching pride with bas rutten and think that's good. Hm, oh wait. No. Actually all the fighters were always bad the entire time and bas rutten himself took a combined five and a half years to defeat jason deluca. Liver shots are for noobs and cowards, like rope breaks or beating an already unconscious Japanese man who the ref is wiggling around in front of you like how they feed zoo animals.

MMA hipster right here; technique not obscure enough, is performed by jerks.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
nothing should disrupt the one-two one-two Mma Best Striking™ combos

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Keven you've gotten bitter man

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

wooger posted:

Nah, Never say never again (1983).
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0086006/

And he was just a martial arts instructor, not an actor.

Never Say Never Again isn't real stop spreading these lies.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

canoshiz posted:

Not a pro by any means but I always thought the toxin thing was more metaphorical than anything else. Just a very visual way to describe how much getting hit in the liver sucks.

Lol

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Keven you've gotten bitter man

Sorry I'm a little on edge due to my recent unjust probation for talking about world of warcraft incorrectly.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Sorry I'm a little on edge due to my recent unjust probation for talking about world of warcraft incorrectly.

PSP is a safe place to chill and watch fights with cool people

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

as rad as that liver kick was, the real highlight of Pettis/Cerrone is when Pettis attempts a goofy, handstand capoeira, and Cerrone knocks him out of the sky air with a step-knee.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Here's the pros picks on the big fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1r7Vok6JN0

Johny Hendricks: Cormier by way of wrestling and power
Josh Barnett: Cormier by superior takedown game and quick hands
Anthony Pettis: Jones by championship experience
Khabib Nurmagomedov: Cormier by wrestling and spirit
Felice Herrig: Cormier by manhandle
Jamie Varner: Cormier by athleticism
Josh Thomson: Cormier by fighting smart

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just glancing at twitter, there's so much talk about predicting "The Buy Rate." I've never been able to figure out why MMA fans are so fixated on this and similar rating stats. Is it because the UFC came so close to the brink before the Zuffa purchase, and because Pride collapsed, so they like to occasionally check to make sure that their favourite sport isn't in danger of disappearing? Or is it some kind of stupid, misguided desire to see their favourite thing to be validated with "Mainstream Legitimacy" (presumably so they can say that they liked it before it was "mainstream")? Or is it just because they want to see that lots of other people are spending their money on the same dumb sport that they've chosen to spend their money on, hence confirmation that the dumb sport can't be really that dumb, because enough other people choose to spend their money on it, too, so the money wasn't wasted?

Seriously PSP, explain this to me.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Here's the pros picks on the big fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1r7Vok6JN0

Johny Hendricks: Cormier by way of wrestling and power
Josh Barnett: Cormier by superior takedown game and quick hands
Anthony Pettis: Jones by championship experience
Khabib Nurmagomedov: Cormier by wrestling and spirit
Felice Herrig: Cormier by manhandle
Jamie Varner: Cormier by athleticism
Josh Thomson: Cormier by fighting smart

Jon Jones defeats Johny Hendricks, Josh Barnett, Kebab Nermal, Delores Herbig, Jim Varney, and Josh Thomson by crushing disappointment.

I'm actually rooting for Cormier.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

CommonShore posted:

Just glancing at twitter, there's so much talk about predicting "The Buy Rate." I've never been able to figure out why MMA fans are so fixated on this and similar rating stats. Is it because the UFC came so close to the brink before the Zuffa purchase, and because Pride collapsed, so they like to occasionally check to make sure that their favourite sport isn't in danger of disappearing? Or is it some kind of stupid, misguided desire to see their favourite thing to be validated with "Mainstream Legitimacy" (presumably so they can say that they liked it before it was "mainstream")? Or is it just because they want to see that lots of other people are spending their money on the same dumb sport that they've chosen to spend their money on, hence confirmation that the dumb sport can't be really that dumb, because enough other people choose to spend their money on it, too, so the money wasn't wasted?

Seriously PSP, explain this to me.

people are interested in things

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I want UFC to sell lots of pay per views because I like the UFC and want them to do well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I want UFC to sell lots of pay per views because I like the UFC and want them to do well

Ok, so in your case it's because you're a fan of the company as much as a fan of the sport? Or is it just that you want to keep an eye on the numbers to make sure that they're staying afloat so that your children's children can see fat guys punch each other at UFC 1000, perhaps from a concern that they could go out of business?

• Locked thread