Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ikuhara stayed out of anime after Utena and just came back a few years ago to do Penguin Drum and now Yuri Bears. Penguin Drum is... complicated. The best way the describe it is a study on the types of loves in relationship to natural survival strategies of species. At leasts, thats its core. Add in some diary magic, crystal princesses, penguins, modern day japan, sarin gas attacks, nihilism and the number 23 and you got the entirety of Penguin Drum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

If its any consolation, I'm 18 minutes into the actual episode and there has been no fanservice whatsoever outside of the intro. The acid though hits really hard at the 17 minute marks. I'm tripping balls.

The music is fantastic.

e- ~20m
:stare: :catstare:

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 5, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Honestly, if you could deal with penguindrums first episode then you'll be able to deal with this as well. Penguindrums apparent (at the time) incestuous overtones were worse than the phallic flower imagery in this and the princess step by step clothing scenes were worse than Ginko's and Lulu's transformation.

The show is so yuri it hurts. Its a borderline parody until your love interest is kidnapped, and apparently mauled and eaten by a pair of bears

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 5, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It hasnt been translated yet.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Crunchyroll already posted their international versions of the show so if you know spanish/french/german then you can watch it.

Sakurazuka posted:

And somewhere, Ikuhara is sitting on a throne in the middle of a darkened room, drinking red wine and cackling manically.
Per the ending, Ikuhara didnt even make the OP. His assistant director + character designer did.

He did make the ending, which so far consists of a single image zooming out while a bear dances in the corner.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 5, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Stalin-Chan posted:

why does the op say "lily bear storm" and not "lesbian bear storm".

to quote Ikuhara "you know what yuri is... no not the flower"

just wondering.

SYMBOLISM

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

beaner69 posted:

I was hoping that boys wouldnt exist in this show but yuri beggars cant be choosers i guess.

Those aren't boys, they are the figurative manifestation of patriarchy.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Arashi literally means storm but its used as a substitute for things like chaos, havoc and even trolling. The act of cutting the flowers and lobbing a brick at them definitely made me think of this bullying type of trolling prevalent now days.

The court scene was weird in general but I think the most important part was when Sexy asked if the girls wanted to remain invisible or if they wanted to eat. Repress, hide whats inside of you or partake in what comes naturally. In contrast, in the walled city everyone seems to be gay but its extremely sterile, lacking any passion. Its a pragmatic sort of love where the girls are together as a form of defense against bears or simply because the girls like each others company.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

a kitten posted:

So can we expect "rawr" from the official translations? (I'm fine with that).
Or maybe "grr argh"

The spanish translation didn't even bother with the japanese spoken sound effects. Spain is no fun.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Not really because in a few days the boat anime is going to be coming out.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Why isnt he shirless on the cars hood while the car drives itself, its ruining my impression of Ikuhara.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Stall_19 posted:

All this talk about lesbians and bears and lesbian bears but I'm wondering what this "invisible storm" is.

Trolling/Bullying

Arashi (storm) is used in japan to describe these. The class representative saying that people have been ignoring the storm for too long just sort of reinforces that image, since japan is notorious for having incredibly bad bullying. How that relates to lesbian bears is beyond me, when it looks like it was the bears that were doing it in the first place.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

i wonder how bullying could relate to homosexuality

hmmm

Thats why I said it was weird, because it would be lesbians bullying lesbians. You can assume that everyone in the town is gay, so unless japan has a strange gay on gay bullying problem it wouldn't make sense at least as presented right now. There's definitely more to it than just this and it probably involves what the two different species of lesbians represent.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The first episode of Penguindrum had a acid trip scene involving the 2 brother protagonists being dominated by their little sister as she walked down a flight of stairs slowly undressing culminating in her fully nude in front of one of them telling him that she was about to initiate the survival strategy, finally ripping the guys heart. Immediately after that the brother that got his heart ripped off goes on a monologue in the real world about how simple and elegant animals are because they act on their pre-programmed instincts. Then he asks god " if a man were to ignore his fate, his instincts, the commands of his DNA to love someone else, would he still be considered human?". All of this while he watches his little sister sleep, then he moves in to kiss her before the episode ends.

No matter what you think these scenes meant by just reading this or watching it for the first time, I can guarantee you that its not what it really meant.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

OK honestly, as a person thats never watched or read Galactic Railroad and has cursory knowledge on the subway sarin gas attacks, what did I miss from penguindrum? How would I be incapable of understanding the work in itself? I'm genuinely curious if its just passing allusions or fundamental parts of the story that I would just be incapable of understanding because I'm a filthy gaijin from the Caribbean.

e-Most of what I knew about the sarin gas attacks was "A looney cult did it" before watching penguindrum and when I did start reading it all I saw was the number 23 everywhere and started freaking out.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 11, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ok what the characters say and the imagery in the episode is giving me ideas on what they could mean

On Birds -The caged bird aspect could still be an interpretation, but I'm leaning more toward the idea of flocks more than anything. The funeral this episode had a bunch of the same bird but noticeably just one of them was different. The exclusion ceremony imagery also leads me to think this. When the girls climb the stairs they are going against the flow, against what the majority want. That lonely bird though, looked very fishlike.

On the invisible storm- It looks like its a stand in for both bullying at a micro and macro level. The exclusion ceremony definitely reminds me of the concept of singling out a member in a classroom that gets bullied on. At a macroscopic level its a stand in for society in general singling out entire groups to be preyed on by the majority. Its an interesting concept, because you wont find many people that wont denounce bullying but finding people that will go against the "Other" is much harder. The others are naturally excluded from the ceremony

On Bears gently caress if I know! Ginko and Lulu seem to genuinely care for Kureha at a level that isnt "I'm going to eat you". Ginko says it a lot sure, but I'm guessing she's actually repressing those base desires because she finds Kureha's love admirable? They still aren't part of the "invisible storm" and they seem to go out of their way to help the "other" to the point that they'll attack members of both the storm and other bears. On the other hand, the other bears have been shown to be greedy, manipulative and mean.

On Courts They seem to act on entirely random ways that dont make sense but the outcome is always favorable for Ginko and Lulu. If they really are heroines, then does that make the courts a force of good too?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Effectronica posted:

Kureha is her own mother thanks to time-travel shenanigans in episode 11.

But first she kills and eats Ginko, which is why she has her necklace.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

Oh I read that line entirely differently than a deal with the devil, I thought they were specifically going after after storm members to protect her.

Yeah thats what I got. Its not just invisible storm members, but their leaders. Since the first girl they attacked was the previous chair and the one they lured this time was the current one. I'm thinking the rest of the girls are going to catch up to that.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

i think you have issues brosis

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Drinkfist posted:

Anime is the battle strategy from Russia to make us all into muffins that fly kites on Tuesdays.

Goodbye America

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdAGlYZsl88

Please posts threads like this in here so you can be our kyoon.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Nah it got pretty interesting.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

You could replace everything and everybody with lesbian vampires abd it would be the same, actually.

gay vampires was valvraves thing, you cant do that in a while

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

isnt the new sailor moon more faithful to the manga and it also sucks horribly?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I just noticed the fluers de lis imagery in the court heraldry, which just made me think how obvious some of the imagery really was during those scenes. The court itself is a giant fleur de lys, with the judge being the large leaf in the middle and the prosecutor/attorney are the side leaves, theres even the band in the middle. Ginko and Lulu always flanking each side of Kureha also makes me think of this. Kureha's rifle even has a similar symbol.

What I'm saying is, Kureha is Jesus and the bear attacks are her 40 days in the desert.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Good music, good faces, good humor, good whatever the gently caress was happening in the end. We even got desire max!

Pretty solid episode even though it would pretty hard trying to piece together what everything meant.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

It'd be cool if the next batch of episodes was just the bear court telling stories from each characters life in this obfuscated way, but who knows

If the show is divided in three episode arcs then this could very well be a flashback motivation one with Ginko and maybe Yurika next. Ginko's would involve Kureha's mom in some way since that necklace is definitely not just a visual gag and something has to be up with it which naturally leads to Yurika since she was her old classmate . Then after that they can have 3 episodes about what the invisible storm is and 3 episodes to wrap everything together.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its my first time going into Ikuhara's twitter, it is a weird place where he mostly retweets fan art and shows off advertisements for the manga/show. He also posted two calligraphy notes of some of the phrases used in the show. Particularly Shabadadu and Desire. I just realized that they both sound like you're saying death at the start of the words. Shi(abadou) Des(ire)

Also these things https://vine.co/v/OTl32H6PngA

e-welp

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 2, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

potential spoilers
http://i.imgur.com/WcL5KKp.jpg

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Space Flower posted:

How undercover can you really be when you're reading a magazine called "Gau Gaw"?

Specially when the magazine has "How to make her yours in 1 week" or something like that in its cover.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

How is babby formed?

Maybe promised kisses give people babies, I dont know

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

That was a really solid episode, sound direction keeps owning and we are finally starting to get what "never give up on love" and "promised kisses" are thanks to Kureha's mom picture book, although you might need to know a tiny bit of japanese to get it across. The mirror scene in it is very important because of what Lady Kumaria mentions during it, you have to give love, even if it kills you, for the other person to reciprocate and that person might not even do so. Give, "Love"(スキ) and get back a "Kiss" (キス), so the mirror motif is even more poignant.

Which puts a lot into perspective for Kureha, Ginko and Lulu. Lulu in particular given how this episode developed Sumika, both were very similar. Lulu had a person that wouldn't back down on love until it got him killed. The moment some guys come in asking for kisses she immediately threatens them and they literally back down. She lost the person that wasn't willing to back down on love for her so she feels like she'll never get promised kisses anymore.

Also stay after the credits, we get a nice post ending shocker that all of us know will just come back to bite everyone in the rear end eventually.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Actually, I'm wondering if Ginko is a criminal because she intervened.
Intervene how? We know class president ated her unless she was lying back there too

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Postal Parcel posted:

Does anyone know if the black lilies blooming scene is "Yuri ga saku", "Yuri hiraku", or "Yuri ga aku" or something like that?

I should be Yuri ga aku, "The lilies open" . But yeah with the desu/da added at the end it would be "the lilies are evil" right?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

In an interview its mentioned that they weren't even supposed to be men, just women with mens voices so I'm not really buying that sort of explanation. Just like the bird motif being a common trope for freedom got twisted around in this to mean flock/herd mentality I'm expecting the court to be something completely different from patriarchy. Specially now that their function seems eerily similar to what Lady Kumaria was saying in the story.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Postal Parcel posted:

Oh, huh, didn't know that. Where is this interview?

Darth Walrus posted:

Notes on an interview with Ikuhara and Morishima about YKA. It seems the latter was pretty influential on the direction of the work, even if the manga she's doing on her own is very different. Interestingly, it was her idea to have the Court of Yuri as guys - Ikuhara was originally thinking of them being women with male voices.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

There more backstory is revealed the more depressing this show is getting because its going to take a miracle shooting star for it to be resolved in a way thats not tragedy. Despite having so many differences in their upbringing, the girls have an incredible amount of similarities. Sumika and Lulu last episode are basically 1 for 1 when it comes to their desire to show their love by self sacrifice without expecting anything in return. Lulu and Ginko both wanted others to love them, but in contrast Ginko never once had it before she met Kureha while Lulu had all of it and seemingly lost it all her brother was born (she realized too late that she didn't really have any to begin with until he was born). Ginko also has in common with Sumika since both of their love is based on someone finally showing kindness to them.

Aside from that theres a ton of loaded imagery in the episode, the most blatant being the allusions to religion and how it can be used to twist people into hating others. At the same time, it shows that being physically strong like Ginko doesn't mean that they cant be prayed on when they are emotionally fragile, which is exactly what happens to miss tomboy. Ginko's words about the weak being bullied, while true, contrasts with the invisible storm which is targeting people strong enough to resist it.

About Ginko's pendant This is going to be the make of break moment for when the poo poo starts hitting the fan. Yuriika has been maneuvering around this for a while now and in this episode the direction put it at the forefront while at the same time hiding it just enough that you cant be sure Reia is using it anymore post writing the book (and therefor Kureha already forgetting about Ginko). If Ginko had already crossed over the wall again then it would have been impossible for her to have killed Reia even if whoever is pulling the strings wants us to believe that

Also since were talking about how the judges were initially going to be women but with mens voices. In this episode we had a "male" looking bear that still had a womans voice. Which is funny given that the only reason you could tell is because of the clothing it had. PS sound track keeps owning, when is it coming out?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'm just hoping that whoever it is pulling the strings in the back its yuriika I mean it was her loving office gets her comeuppance. Every other character seems to be getting theirs already and it would be such a dick move to not have it happen to her.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

A bear company in the great bear yuri war.

22nd Transport Companies emblem, based on Wojtek, the polish bear warrior.

Notice the picture on the wall

Its an image of the famous "Bear Storm" that occurred in japan.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'm really not going pass judgement on the court/Kumaria (effectively they are the same things, we've even seen how the court seems to have fallen off the more Kumaria we've seen) yet because they aren't really evil unless they do the whole "We only let you climb up the mountain so we could see you could fall from higher" thing so far they've been actively helping the cast despite the apparent restrictions.

The court is a man/bear made construct while Kumaria seems to be a natural one and they both serve the same function, warn people when they are about to take potentially difficult paths but then later providing the means for them to actually embark on it if its ultimately what they want. I'm assuming they represent manmade and natural biases against the unions and when they go "Is your love the real thing" they are basically asking if the two's love can overcome these biases.

Its interesting how these two contrast with the invisible storm. On one part we always see the bears/girls asking the courts and Kumaria for permission or intervention to allow them to do something but in regards to the storm they always have negative views on them (except when the storm is tricking them). They could eventually turn the story into "gently caress you dad/mom!" in regards to the courts and Kumaria but I'm guessing its going to take the more realist path and acknowledge that they exist and will continue to exist but as long people have love it wont matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

No, a person claiming to be doing her will did that. Which can be seen as people using religion or :biotruths: to justify negative actions. Might I remind you, the show starts off by telling you Kumaria blew up and the bears started attacking people after that.

As I said, the court and the kumaria in the story are effectively the same thing. Despite them going "Well thats sin" they have a big but that follows that allows them to do it. An evil, oppressive system wouldn't even let them have the chance, much less provide the means to actually go about it (the court turning the bears into girls and kumaria giving the girls the ladder).

I doubt the show is going to go into an idealistic scenario where all forms of prejudice cease to exist and everything is happy and rainbows because that is ultimately unrealistic and escapist.

• Locked thread