Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

berryjon posted:

Future missions do get the audio sorted out.

But I will lay part of the blame for this on the game itself. The internal audio balance gets messed up on occasion, and the music will get, well, bombastic. We lose about a line and a half of dialogue in mission 5 due to it, but I will keep that in mind for future recordings.

Was this the same reason why all the post/pre mission cutscenes in Homeworld had 50% more bass than the actual mission audio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Markovnikov posted:

From what I got from the manual, they seemed to hate the place. There was a whole religious debacle, with one side saying the Kushan were all sinners and were being punished by their god to live in the fireball that was Kharak (even pre-glassing).

That's the mostly extinct religious Kiith (Gaalsien and Siidim) that said that. After Somtaaw found the super ore deposit they realized that's kind of a bullshit reason guide your life and decided to make the best of it with :science:.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Slashrat posted:

I remember reading that a lot of the names in HW1 were derived from or inspired by semitic languages and/or biblical scripture. It wouldn't surprise me if writers for Cataclysm looked to the same sources.

I couldn't find anything regarding the ship names in Cataclysm specifically though. They might also have been inspired by those sources, but there don't seem to be any RL use of the names.

Yes, there's a ton of semitic and middle eastern references in HW1 such as:

Hiigara = Heigra
Garden of Kadesh = City of Kadesh/Qadesh
Kharak = Kerak Castle

to name a few.

In Cata I've mostly noticed references in the ship terminology and not any one location standing out. Aside from the acolyte all fighter and micro ships use easy to understand terms. Corvette and up use religious terms which is appropriate considering the religious origins of Kiith Somtaaw. I wish I had the time to go through the videos right now to take a second look though.

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 9, 2015

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

GentleJudge posted:

http://youtu.be/GIgbiKO_dr4

The song was made for the game.

And yet it isn't foolproof. I read about Paul McCartney's involvement in 'Destiny' and thought, "Oh, that's pretty cool, etc". Then I actually listened to the song he wrote for it and kind of retched in my mouth. It reminded me of 'The Ladder' except it felt...like an imposter. It actually made me question liking Yes for a moment.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

radintorov posted:

It's something I've noticed as well in the videos: there's not a lot of micromanagement going on, leading to losses that could've been avoided.
I'm guessing that it's because we are swimming in RUs and in this video the fights weren't particularly challenging, since in a few other mission there was a fair amount of micro going on (like the one with the cruise missiles).

When I see the videos, I think the same thing and want to reach out and do something, but in the end I don't care. BerryJon is not doing an optimal playthrough, he's just showing us the game. Plus, he's practically swimming in RUs so it doesn't matter if he loses all of his fleet in an encounter - he'll just build another one.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

That's when you edit your save LUAs and give yourself 40 destroyers at the start of the mission and watch the AI run around with its hair on fire trying to figure out where all these new units materialized from.

Because no, gently caress you Homeworld 2.

I'm seriously confounded with how you people are conflating the difficulty of Homeworld 2. When I got the game, I knew that the game scaled to your resources and current fleet. Hell, that one late game mission with a wall of metal in between you and the objective was tough, but it was still doable. Did the patch fix the scaling that much or did I play a modded version of the game?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Atomizer posted:

Aha Youtube would actually do that? loving christ.... :rolleyes:

(Although when I said "because why not" I meant along the lines of "why not invite him to join us here.")

Yeah, CJacobs had a bit of a kerfluffle with youtube in his cut commentary Dead Space 3 episodes because whatever algorithm searches for youtube videos caught the audio that he normally talks over in his uncut videos. Luckily this was taken care of very quick but leave it to bots to gently caress your youtube videos because it found a sound.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Strange question: Do you think if humans found a relic pointing to their origin as being not from Earth we would unify and go search out that planet? Or say 'gently caress it, we'll get to it when we have the time' which is probably never.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

FredMSloniker posted:

If I recall the fluff correctly, Kharak, already not a great place to live by any means, was only getting worse, and building the Mothership did irreparable damage to their industry. They were going to leave Kharak regardless; if Hiigara turned out to be a radioactive wasteland, I suspect plan B was 'okay, find somewhere habitable, drop off the colonists to get started, then head back and get everyone else'.

It wasn't so much that their industry was devastated but that they couldn't stop the desertification of the planet. People lived largely at the poles because they were the only habitable and arable sources of land on the entire planet. Even with a population only in the hundreds of millions, they were depleting the resources of the planet.

The Mothership was a necessity not only for identity but because their planet was turning into Arrakis faster than you can say 'Shai-ulud'.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Magni posted:

Same problem here. Also, while it was dragged back to the Mothership, it apparrently was still building assault frigates and strike craft and just couldn't launch them. So once it was captured and came back out of the MS, it started vomiting out everything - with the ships in question still being hostile. My little fleet of frigates and corvettes ended up spending close to five minutes spawncamping the carrierss hangar exit to clean up that mess. :v:

Camera feed from one of the boarding marines as they breached the hangar on the ITS Oprah:

He later succumbed to his many...many wounds.

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 2, 2015

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

AltaBrown posted:

You sure that isn't video of a Beast Cruise Missile hitting a ship?

I dunno man. I'm thinking the Taiidan and their color scheme is a whole lot like a bunch of angry bees.

The beast though? I think that's like putting a bunch of hungry badgers in a missile casing, shooting it into a ship, and the badgers are convinced that you are in their burrow.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

AirborneNinja posted:

On that note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA4NcxyadJ4

I don't know how close to original that is but it looks awful pretty.

Wait, did they add subsystems and subsystem targeting to HW1R?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

We really need more Beastified home appliances.

Cue the tech war between Westinghouse and General Elerughgh over AC and BC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

berryjon posted:

That's the field of (exploding!) crystals that the Beast Fleet jumps into at the same time as the Imperials arrive. It was probably being harvested for building the Nomad Moon, but... well... look how that turned out.

NOW TAKING SUGGESTIONS FOR A THREAD TITLE FOR HOMEWORLD 2

I'll get the Somtaaw skirmish video out next week, but this weekend is crazy and my job just picked up so I'll try to finally put together a group to chat about the Beast.

Either way, HW2 goes live in April!

Bring Sajuuk to Bear: Let's Play Homeworld 2

• Locked thread