Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

A tower of intense magical power. A cursed weapon that can only be passed to a willing host. An enemy who would see the tower fall and its energies redirected. A small band of heroes who could change the fate of the whole world.

I will be running the adventure 'Blood and Lightning'. It is the adventure included in the core rule book and so anyone who knows the system may be aware of what is coming. The great thing about 13th age is that it encourages deviation from the written adventure, depending on the characters playing.

This game will be run over the forums as PBP. I haven't decided whether or not I will be using reference grids and such, even though I know they are not entirely necessary but they can be useful. I am new to 13th Age and will definitely make mistakes or forget things. Always feel free to correct me if you notice.

The game is intended as a self-contained adventure that can spiral out from there into a campaign. Depending how things go, we may continue once the adventure is finished.

The Players

Looking for 3-5 level 1 characters. Submit the usual character sheet (including things like Icon relationships and your unique thing), picture, little bit of backstory.

I'm really looking for people who can post once a day or so. This tends to fluctuate as time passes, but once a day should be a good goal at least to start with in order to get things going.

Newbie players are absolutely welcome and it would be nice to get a mix of experience with the game. If you've never played 13th Age before then let me know in your submission.

If you have any questions then feel free to ask.

(join SYNIRC channel #Sablandlig)

Edit:Because I'm a dumb guy who forgets important details - go point buy.

Edit2: Because I'm new I'd also prefer it if people stayed away from homebrew stuff. If you want to use a homebrew class or whatever, run it by me first but depending on numbers you are more likely to get in with one of the official classes.

Captain_Indigo fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Interest post! Will post a character later.

Angharad 'Hari' Leaf
Elven Ranger

OUT: Elven half-breed, abandoned at birth and raised by dwarfs.

Around twenty years ago, two heavily-covered elves calling themselves Mr and Mrs Leaf checked into the Blackvein Tavern in Anvil. They paid upfront for a week's stay, and asked not to be disturbed at any time. They stayed in the room for most of the week, one of them popping out occasionally for food, extra towels, bowls of hot water. When leaving, the do-not-disturb sign was still on the door, so the truth was not discovered until the end of the day; in the tavern room, they had left a newborn baby girl, and a crossbow.

The dwarf family that ran the tavern took the child in and raised her as best they could. Hari grew up immersed in dwarf culture, working in the tavern. Her only knowledge of elves coming from books and the occasional guest willing to answer her many questions. As soon as she was old enough, she set out to track down her parents and find out the truth about her origins, such as her birthday. But that requires money, so she's looking for a job that'll pay well.

Race:
Half High Elf, Half Wood Elf [roll 1d2 at start of adventuring day to determine power, if that's OK, GM?)

Ability Scores:
Str: 18, +4(+2 class bonus)
Dex: 15, +2 (+1 race bonus)
Con: 12, +1
Int: 10, 0
Wis: 10, 0
Cha: 13, +1 (+1 race bonus)

HP: 24
AC: 16 (light armour)
PD: 14
MD: 11
Recovery die: d8
Initiative: d20+3

Background: 8 points
Dwarven Upbringing (4 points): Having grown up in Anvil, Hari was immersed in all aspects of dwarf life.
Tavern Worker (3 points): Hari knows her way around a tavern, and the best way to sweet-talk other tavern workers into a little freebie now and then.
Read About Elves In Books (1 point): It's probably wrong, or at least out of date, but Hari has read a lot about elves and how they live. How they're supposed to live, at any rate.

Icon Relationships:
+2 Dwarf King
~1 Elf Queen

Talents:
Double Melee Attack
Two Weapon Mastery (+ Adventurer Feat)
First Strike

Gear:
Light Armour
2 Dwarf hand axes (1d6)
Elven Crossbow (1d6)

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 3, 2015

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I was literally reading the 13th Age rulepdf for the first time just now, and it looked absolutely amazing so this is a happy coincidence! I haven't gotten through the classes and such yet but will put up a character sheet when I have if there is still space.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just got 13th age myself so will read the rules, but posting interest.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Totally going to make a character for this.

Edit: Probably going to make a wizard with a bit of a focus on utility spells, or a monk.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 2, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ooooh yes a 13th Age PBP gimme gimme gimme.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Because I'm a dumb guy who forgets important details - go point buy.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Necromancer necrocoming.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Citra

One Unique Thing: My mercenary company's souls were taken by The Lich King, rendering them his minions.

Citra posted:

We were the best. 20 strong, all of us undisputed masters of combat and group tactics. I was a former champion of the arena. No one could match my skill with a blade. We were offered the biggest contract any of us had ever seen, gathered at the designated meeting place, and an unearthly fog enveloped us. I swear I could feel it pulling at my insides. Don't ask how I escaped, I cannot tell you. I think I slipped into a rage and fought it. It's a blank between the fog rolling in and looking back into the cloud, seeing these little tendrils grasping at my compatriots. My friends. I could feel them grasping at me as well.

I was the only one to get out with my soul. The others changed. They're mindless slaves of the Lich King now. I don't know if they can ever be recovered. News spread quickly. It spread far too. The Priestess and the Emperor both showed an interest. I was summoned to both of them. Neither knew what to make of me. They had entirely warranted suspicions. Even I am suspicious of myself. How do I know I escaped as unscathed as I believe? The Lich King's influence could be scraping away at my mind every second without me knowing. Or he knows I escaped and will come after me.

HP: 33

Recoveries: 8 Recovery Dice: 1d10+5

Ability Scores
STR 18 (+4)
CON 18 (+4)
DEX 12 (+1)
WIS 8 (-1)
INT 10 (0)
CHA 10 (0)

Attack
Melee attack
At-Will
Target: One enemy
Attack: 1d20 + 5 vs. AC
Hit: 1d10 + 4 damage
Miss: Damage equal to your level

Defenses
AC 14 PD 16 MD 11

Gear
Horse Cleaver 1d10
Padded Vest and Pants

Class Feature
Barbarian Rage
Once per day, use a quick action to start raging; a rage lasts until
the end of battle (or around five minutes, if you decide to rage out
of combat for dramatic roleplaying effect!).
While raging, you roll 2d20 to hit with your barbarian melee
and thrown weapon attacks instead of 1d20. Use the higher roll
for the attack. If you roll a natural 11+ with both dice and your
highest attack roll is a hit, the attack is a critical hit!
Recharge 16+: After a battle in which you rage, roll a d20 and
add your Constitution modifier; on a 16+, you can use Barbarian
Rage again later in the day.

Talents
Whirlwind
You can make a Whirlwind attack as the first action of your turn
when you are engaged by two or more enemies.
You take a –4 penalty to your AC and PD until the start of your
next turn. Then roll a separate melee attack against each enemy you
are engaged with. You deal no miss damage with these attacks.

Building Frenzy
One battle per day, as a free action after you have missed with an
attack, deal +1d4 damage with your melee attacks until the end
of the battle. Deal +1d4 additional damage each time one of your
attacks misses, up to a maximum of +4d4 damage.

Slayer
During your turn, when you attack a staggered enemy you were
not engaged with at the start of your turn, deal +1d6 damage per
level to that creature if you hit.

Feats
Building Frenzy
Adventurer Feat: Bonus damage dice are now d6s.

Whirlwind
Adventurer Feat: You now deal normal miss damage with
missed Whirlwind attacks.

Quick to Fight
At the start of each battle, roll initiative twice and choose the
result you want.

Backgrounds
Home-Run Hitter of the Strongest Sellswords +5
Former Reigning Champion of Axis City's Arenas +3

Icon Relationships
The Lich King -1
The Priestess +-1
The Emperor +-1

Alaois fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 9, 2015

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Felix Orphansbane - Human Commander

Felix was destined from birth to be the patron hero of his village. Under the tutelage of his mentor, he learned that being a hero meant making hard decisions at a moments notice and carrying them out to their fullest potential without thinking about the consequences. This drove him to acts of heroism that few could even comprehend, as his passion drove him further than anyone else. Under his watch, no one in the village could say that they weren't protected from outside threats.

One day, while shopping at the local store, a visitor was ahead of him in line. The visitor was trying to purchase some tobacco, but was short on the funds. Felix offered to lend the stranger five bucks with the understanding that he would be reimbursed very soon. The stranger thanked him, purchased the tobacco and then walked out of the store. When Felix finished his shopping, he emerged from the store and saw the stranger smoking, then, as soon as the pipe was extinguished, he manifested into the Great Gold Wyrm - or at least a spectral essence of him - and disappeared. Felix stood in awe, and then his agape expression turned into a scowl. The Great Gold Wyrm owes him five bucks!

pre:
Felix Orphansbane
Human Commander - Level 1

One Unique Thing:  The Great Gold Wyrm owes me five bucks.

STR: 18 (4)     HP: 27
CON: 14 (2)     AC: 15
DEX: 14 (2)     PD: 13
INT: 8 (-1)     MD: 13
WIS: 10 (0)     REC: 8/8
CHA: 14 (2)     REC DICE: 1d8+2

Relationships:
     2~ Great Gold Wyrm
     1+ Crusader

Backgrounds:
     4:  Patron Hero of my Village
     4:  All's Fair in Love and War

Class Features:
     Fight From The Front - Gain 1d3 Command Points with a commander melee attack.
     Weigh the Odds - Gain 1d4 Command Points as a standard action
     Tactics - Act on others turn for benefits (This will be fun in a play by post)

Class Talents:
     Battle Captain: Once per battle, if I have 2 or more command points, I can use Tactics twice a round.
     Combat Maneuver:  I can take a fighter's maneuver of my level or lower.
     Into the Fray: Before every battle, 1d4 allies can either have +2 to initiative or +1 AC for the first round.

Racial Power:
     Roll Initiative twice, take higher result.

Powers:
     Rally Now!  - Tactic (1cp, 2cp if they're unconscious) Ally can rally on their turn as a free action.
     Get Out of There!  - Tactic (1cp)  Ally can disengage as a free action.

Basic Tactical Strike - Ally can give a Melee Basic Attack.
     Enforce Clarity - Ends one effect on an ally (16+ recharge after battle)
     (Fighter) Deadly Assault - Reroll 1's on an even hit.

Feats:
     Combat Maneuver - Reroll 1's and 2's on an even hit.
     Into the Fray - I also get the benefit in addition to the 1d4 allies.

Equipment:
     Gladius (1d6)
     Shield
     Crossbow
     Bolts (some number, I don't care)
     Stylish Patron Hero Armor (Light Chainmail)

CommaToes fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 2, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
I admit to having run a few games on PbP, though I haven't really had a chance to play for any length.

Denarion Verdefen
Half-Orc Bard

OUT: A magically talented Half-Orc born to two High Elves

Astaren and Lerenel Verdefen were well respected among the High Elves, particularly for their mastery of the arcane and swordsmanship. Their marriage was celebrated by many among the high towers of their city, Astaren was soon with child, and both of them made plans and dreams of raising their child in magic and martial might, perhaps even in the great colleges of Horizon.

It was therefore quite a shock that, when their child was delivered, it was green skinned and possessed tusks.

The scandal rocked the Court of Stars. Accusations and speculation flew from one end of the Queen's Wood to the other. Elves rallied to protect the strange boy, while others hurled invectives and arrows at the child. No one knew what to make of the boy, or if his birth had greater implications to the world as a whole

Astaren and Lerenel, to their credit, named their child Denarion Verdefen and taught him of swords and magic as they had hoped. He was an excellent student of the arcane, and his Half-Orc strength made him a powerful swordsman. But in a scant sixteen years he had already become an adult, and the beleaguered couple feared for his safety. After a tearful goodbye, Denarion struck out on his own, out of the deadly politics of the Queen's Wood and into a world where perhaps there was a place he could belong.

One day, perhaps, he could find a place in the arcane universities of Horizon. But now, he travels and adventures, searching hungrily for magical knowledge and clues to the mystery of his birth.

Icon Relationships
Elf Queen, Conflicted 1: The myriad factions that make up the Court of Stars have wildly different views about the reasons behind Denarion's birth. Wood elves have proclaimed him to be a chance at redemption for the creation of the original Orc Lord. High elves cite ancient prophecies that Denarion is the first sign of the downfall of the Elves. Dark elves alternate between outing him as a spy and courting him as a weapon against the other elves. The politics and beliefs are vast and varied, and Denarion has little idea whether the next elf he meets will shake his hand or put an arrow in his eye.
Orc Lord, Conflicted 1 : If the elves are split by partisan ideals, the armies of the Orc Lord are merely confused. Whatever the Orc Lord has heard of this strange magician, he has kept his opinions close to his heart. Others wonder if Denarion is their chance to strike at the hated elves, or part of a scheme to tear them apart from within. Caution has been the order of the day wherever Denarion and the Orc Lord's armies have interacted, which hasn't helped his standing with the elves any.
Archmage, Positive 1: The Archmage, however, has taken a great interest in Denarion Verdefen, fascinated by his magical talent and the implications it holds for continued half-orc births throughout the empire. His mages and wizards appreciate the Half-Orcs talents, and have been more than happy to satisfy his curiosity towards the arcane.

Backgrounds
Misunderstood Magical Prodigy +6: The Verdefens, in the face of derision and anger from other elves, did their best to teach Denarion all they knew about the arcane and the magical, and found him an astonishingly good student. Though no elven school would take him, sympathetic teachers from the elves and the Archmage would teach them what they could, when they could. They found an astounding talent in the Half-Orc, an ability to discern the arcane and find great insights in magical theory. Denarion's theories clash considerably with current magical knowledge, but there is no denying his knowledge is considerable.
Elven Forest Wanderer +4: For a considerable time, prejudices and distrust among the elves kept Denarion moving from place to place within the Queen's Wood. Often he survived hunting and foraging for his own food, sleeping in shelters, and occasionally hiding from wild beasts and elves seeking his head.

pre:
Denarion Verdefen
Half-Orc Bard

OUT: A magically talented Half-Orc born to two High Elves

STR  16		(+3)		Hit Points: (36/36)
CON  14		(+2)		Recoveries: 8
DEX  14		(+2)		Recovery value: 2d8+2
INT  16		(+3)		Armour Class: 16
WIS  8		(-1)		PD: 14	MD: 13
CHA  10		(+0)		Initiative: +4

Race Features
	Lethal

Class Features
	Bardic Songs
	Battle Cries
	Spells

Talents
	Jack of Spells
	Battle Skald
	Loremaster (Options A and B)

Feats
	Jack of Spells Adventurer Feat
	Battle Skald Feat

Battle Cries and Spells
	Pull it Together!
	We Need You!
	Move it!
	3 Bard Spells
	1 Wizard Spell

Cantrips
	Mage Hand
	Mending
	Ghost Sound

Basic Attacks
	Melee Attack
	+5 vs AC
	Hit: 2d8+3 damage Miss: 2 damage

Ranged Attack
	+4 vs AC
	Hit: 2d6+2 damage Miss: --

Equipment
	Oiled Elven leather (Light armor)
	Verdefen Heirloom sword (1-handed Heavy 1d8)
	Elven Shortbow (Bow, 1d6)
	Handmade Lute
	25 gold

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 25, 2015

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

pre:
Name: Pavli
Race: Gnome [+Dex]
Class/Level: Druid/1 [+Wis]
OUT: I come from a forest of rock, with leaves of precious stone. I'd like to return.

Str:	 8 [ 0]		-1
Con:	14 [ 6]		+2
Dex:	18 [10]		+4
Int:	10 [ 2]		+0
Wis:	18 [10]		+4
Cha:	 8 [ 0]		-1
HP:  24 [(6+2)*3]
Recoveries: 8
Recovery Dice: 1d6+2

AC: 15 [10+4+1]
PD: 14 [11+2+1]
MD: 12 [11+0+1]

Initiative: +5 [+4+1]

Racial Power:
Small: +2 AC bonus vs Opportunity Attacks
Confounding: 1/Battle, Nat 16+, Daze UEONT
Minor Illusions: Create strong smell or sound nearby

Feats:
Earth Mastery
	Ripping Vines: At will, 1 nearby enemy, +5 vs PD,
	  1d8+4 Damage, Odd hit ongoing 4, Crit stuck save
	  ends.

Class Features:
Melee Attack: Dex
Nature Talking: Can talk to plants and animals
Wilderness Survival: No damage from natural elements

Talents:
Elemental Caster Adept
	Summon Elemental 2/day
Wild Healer Initiate

Spells:
Earth Strength: Quick, Daily, One nearby ally and one random
  nearby ally both touching the ground. Unstaggered target
  gains +4 to attack and damage until staggered or end of
  battle. Staggered target can use a recovery.
Regeneration: Interrupt or Quick, 1/battle, One nearby
  ally or self. Target uses a recovery, healing half. At start 
  of next turn, target heals half with a free recovery, then 
  saves. If save is successful, target continues to heal half 
  recovery until save is failed. Hard save if at max hp or below 0.
Greater Regeneration: Interrupt or Quick, 1/day, One nearby
  ally or self. Target uses 2 recoveries, healing as if 1 used. 
  At start of next turn, target heals half with a free recovery, 
  then saves. If save is successful, target continues to heal half 
  recovery until save is failed. Hard save if at max hp or below 0.

Backgrounds:
Mending Magic +4
A Nose for Treasure +2
Heart of Stone +2

Icon Relationships:
High Druid, +2
Dwarf King, -1

Base Attacks:
Club, +5 vs AC, 1d6+4, Miss 1 Damage
Shortbow, +5 vs AC, 1d6+4

Gear:
Standard Traveling Gear
Crowbar
Club
Shortbow and a dozen or so arrows
Bark (Light) Armor

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Noir - Human Rogue

Noir, a man shrouded in shadow, is a master thief sought by many a noble in the Empire for his heists. No one seems to know why it is that shadows cling to him, concealing his features, and helping in his work. Followers of the Prince of Shadow seem to keep an eye out for him, while many a soldier in the Empire hunt him for one noble or another. The truth of the matter is that he is the son of the Prince of Shadows, though this is not well known. In part because some may try to use him against the Prince of Shadows if it was known. It is unclear how much his father actually cares for him, or if he has any siblings that may strive for his birthright. Noir is supernaturally gifted as a thief, and has indeed made much use of his skills throughout his life, particularly as he was on his own for most of his life. This may be why he feels like his father does not care for him, why he does his best to be a master thief, to make his father proud. He hopes that he can prove his worth and earn his father's love.

And so when he learned of the Tower, the magics within, and the cursed weapon he joined a group of heroes who would seek out the tower. Perhaps he can take the tower and its contents for the Prince of Shadows and make his father proud.

pre:
Noir
Human Rogue - Level 1

One Unique Thing:  The son of the Prince of Shadows.

STR: 10 (0)     HP: 24
CON: 14 (2)     AC: 15
DEX: 18 (4)     PD: 15
INT: 14 (2)     MD: 13
WIS: 14 (2)     REC: 8/8
CHA: 8 (-1)     REC DICE: 1d8+2

Relationships:
     2+ Prince of Shadows
     1- Emperor

Backgrounds:
     5:  Master Thief
     5:  Stolen Knowledge
     5:  Friends in Low Places

Class Features:
     Momentum - Gain momentum by hitting an enemy with an attack, lose it by being hit by an attack.
     Sneak Attack - 1/round when make a rogue melee weapon attack against an enemy engaged
         with one or more of my allies I can deal extra damage if my attack hits.  +1d4 extra damage.
     Trap Sense - If a skill check involving a trap is a natural even failure I can reroll it once.  If a trap's
         attack roll against me is a natural odd roll I can force it to reroll it once.

Class Talents:
     Improved Sneak Attack: My sneak attack damage is better than normal.  +1d6 instead of +1d4.
     Thievery:  Have the Thief background at its full possible bonus of +5.
     Cunning: Use Int in place of Cha, gain +2 to a knowledge background, +2 to rolls vs traps.

Racial Power:
     Roll Initiative twice, take higher result.

Powers:
     Thief's Strike  - melee, 1 enemy, dex+level (5) vs PD.  Hit: half of Weapon + Dex (1d8/2+4) damage
          including sneak attack if applicable, and roll a normal save.  If I succeed I can pickpocket
          an item from the target that they are not holding.  16+ and the target doesn't realize I
          pickpocked the item.  Miss: no damage.
     Sure Cut  - melee, 1 enemy, must have momentum and be able to deal Sneak Attack damage
          to the target if I hit.  Dex+level (5) vs AC.  Hit:  Weapon+Dex (1d8+4) damage.  Miss:  deal
          Sneak Attack damage + level (1d6+1).
     Roll With It - at-will (1/round), interrupt action, requires momentum.  Trigger: a melee attack
          that targets AC hits me.  Effect:  I take half damage from that attack.
     Flying Blade - ranged, 1 nearby creature, dex+level (5) vs AC.  Hit:  Weapon+dex (1d4+4) damage,
          and if my natural attack roll is even and one of my allies is engaged with the target I can use
          my sneak attack damage for the round.  Miss:  Deal damage equal to my level (1).
     Evasive Strike - melee, 1 enemy, Dex+level (5) vs AC.  Hit:  Weapon+Dex (1d8+4) damage, 
          and can pop free from the target.  Miss:  damage equal to my level (1).

Feats:
     Sneak Attack - Sneak Attack also works the first round of combat
         against enemies with lower initiative than me.
     Thievery - Regardless of level gain the bonus power Thief's Strike in addition to normal number.

Equipment:
     Dagger
     More Daggers
     Dark clothes (light armor)

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
I really want to give 13th Age a try, but I'm burned out on the general d20 motif of option bloat, especially in char-gen.
Should I try and play a simple/boring class, or just skip 13th Age altogether?

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
The game is pretty new in terms of options, so there isn't much bloat at the moment.

The classes vary in terms of complexity, so it's up to you whether you want a lot to read over or if you want to just smash things.

We can help in the IRC if you're curious.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Many long years ago, as the Imperial Army clashed with the infernal forces of the Diabolist, a great demon appeared. Towering over the battlefield, it rained havoc on the Empire's forces and for a moment it seemed all was lost. But then, a lone figure stood against the beast, and in a blinding flash of light brought it tumbling down.

In the end, the Empire was triumphant and the hero returned to the capital to thunderous applause and a sweet retirement package.

Fast forward several decades. An elderly man now, the hero receives a letter from the local Imperial Governor. To his horror, the letter reads: "Due to a change in Imperial pension policy, your payments have been terminated as of this month."

Now without a steady income, the former hero once again dons his armor and sets out to save the world get himself some spending money.

"Dagnabbit."

pre:
Charles Aldebraun
Human Cleric - Level 2

OUT:  Retired Hero of the Empire (whose skills have rusted back to level 1 over the years)

STR:   16   HP: 36/36
CON:   14   AC: 19
DEX:    8   PD: 15
INT:    8   MD: 15
WIS:   18   REC: 7/8
CHA:   14   REC DICE: 2d8 + 2

Relationships:
    ~2 Emperor 
    -1 Diabolist   

Backgrounds:
     5:  You whippersnapper!  Why, back in my day...
     5:  (Forgotten) Hero of the Empire  

Feats:
     Further Backgrounding - 2 extra background points
     Heal - The target can be a nearby ally, instead of just allies I am next to.
     Leadership (Domain) - The attack can be ranged or close, not limited to melee, for 
     allies to get the bonus.

Class Features:
     Bonus Spell - Heal 
     Ritual Magic

Domains:
     Protection - Once per battle, can affect two additional allies 
            when casting a spell "for broad effect" (multi-target).
               Invocation - Crits against me or allies deal normal damage for this battle.
     Leadership - Once per turn when I make a melee, ranged, or close attack against an enemy, 
            allies get a +1 attack bonus on them until the start of my next turn.
               Invocation - Increase escalation die by 1.
     Healing - When I grant a heal, add 2x my level to healing.
               Invocation - Get an extra use of Heal this fight.  The next cast is a free recovery.

Racial Power:
     Quick to Fight - Roll twice for initiative, keep the roll I want.

Spells:
     Heal - Quick action, close-quarters, 2/battle but 1/round.  Targets self or nearby ally.  
               Target can heal using a recovery.
     Javelin of Faith - Standard, ranged, at-will.  Targets one nearby enemy.  
               Wis + Lvl v. PD, 1d6 + Wis holy damage.
     Bless - Quick, ranged, daily.  One nearby ally (or up to 5 nearby creatures) gets +2 (or +1) 
               to attack rolls until end of combat.
     Shield of Faith - Quick, ranged, daily.  One nearby ally (or up to 5 nearby creatures) gets +2 
               (or +1) to AC until end of combat.
     Spirits of the Righteous My Old War Buddies - Standard, ranged, encounter.  One nearby enemy.  
               Wis + Lvl v. MD, 4d6+Wis holy damage and nearby ally with the fewest hit points 
               gets +4 to AC until end of my next turn.  No damage and +2 AC instead on a miss.
     Cure Light Wounds - Quick, target can heal using a free recovery.

Equipment:
     A slightly rusty mace
     Battered and very retro plate armor
     Even more battered shield; has (had?) Imperial decoration, but it's hard to make out
     An expensive looking holy symbol, with some of the gold paint flaking off
     Two spools of twine
     A pair of overalls
     A hammer and a handful of nails
     A healing potion

Cash Monies:
     2 Adcre

z0glin Warchief fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Feb 1, 2015

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

One Unique Thing: I'm the first member of the Archmage's recently reactivated temple raider unit. Better hope the Priestess doesn't find out.

It's not a well known fact, but the Archmage doesn't sit around and just invent every single magical artifact he has in his collection. There are loads of ruins, temples, and other various tombs and catacombs positively bursting with magical objects long-forgotten. When the big boss needs something collected, he sends in the Temple Raiders: his secret teams of loyal subordinates, specializing in pilfering and plucking every last bauble and amulet from the dusty halls of wherever he sends them. Those in the know understood an implicit relationship between the Archmage and the Prince of Shadows in this matter; it was not easy to transport such valuables across borders and through cities, and the Prince has his own ways...for a price.

Well, that was the case. It has been a decade or two since any crypt has been cracked or ossuary opened. The Priestess did not take kindly to ancient places of rest - many of them sacred to one god or another - being rummaged through as if they were a bargain talisman store. After tense negotiation, the Archmage relented and halted operations.

For Rowan It was a quiet day at home studying a treatise on historic usage of directed energy streams in the construction of famous wizard's towers. There was a knock on the door, and then an envelope slipped through his mail-slot. The seal was unmistakable, as was the writing that only appeared once he spoke the proper code word. He knew this day would come. It was time for the Temple Raiders to make their triumphant (and quiet) return. His students at the local Wizard's college would have to wait. He didn't think they'd mind having their practical evocation exams delayed.

pre:
Rowan Hawthorn
Human Wizard 2

One Unique Thing: I'm the first member of the Archmage's recently reactivated temple raider unit.  
Better hope the Priestess doesn't find out.

HP 24
AC 14
PD 12
MD 16
Init: 5
Recoveries: 8
Recovery Dice: 2d6

STR: 8  -1
DEX: 16 +3 (+2)
CON: 10  0
INT: 18 +4 (+2)
WIS: 14 +2
CHA: 12 +1

Relationships
+1 Archmage
-1 Priestess
+1 Prince of Shadows

Backgrounds:
+4 Temple Raider
+4 Tenured Professor, Practical Arcanics

Feats:
Adventurer - Utility Spells - Each utility spell you take lets you cast two spells from the available options instead of one.
Adventurer- Cantrip Mastery -You can use cantrip-style versions of any wizard spell you have memorized. 
When you expend a spell, however, you can’t make cantrip-style use of it any more.
Adventurer - Shocking Grasp - It's a quick action now.

Talents:
Cantrip Mastery - Cantrips are at-will, take a quick action.
High Arcana - Can prep two identical Daily spells, get bonus Counter-Magic Spell
Abjuration - When casting a daily spell, get +4 to AC until next round.

Class Features:
Cantrips - A pile of minor magic.
Cyclic Spells - Certain spells are at-will when Escalation Die is Even.
Overworld Advantage - Daily spells recharge on a 16+ when in the Overworld.
Ritual Casting - Can perform rituals for powerful effects.

Racial Power:
Quick to Fight - Roll twice for initiative, keep one.

Spells: 6 1st level slots
  • http://www.13thagesrd.com/classes/wizard
  • Spell Bonus is 6 vs AC/PD/MD
  • Counter-Magic (High Arcana Bonus) - Free Action - Trigger: A nearby creature you can see casts a spell. +5 vs MD, Hit: The target’s spell is canceled, and the caster loses the action they were using for the spell. If the spell had a limited use, that use is expended if your natural attack roll is even.
Gear: Healing Potion: Standard action: Recovery + 1d8 hp, does not heal beyond 30hp. Forest Warden Cloak: +1PD, +4 to Nature-related Skill Checks. Adventurers' Writ - The Storm Wardens Professorial Staff, with Barleydale Ontological Academy of Thaumaturgy mascot crest (Go Bulettes!) Bookbag Spellbook Reading glasses Some snacks and water. 2 Adcre
Will clean this up a bit later.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 27, 2015

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Aquinas Kaiserstone earned the Empire's highest honors for his bravery in single-handily holding an outpost on the border of the Queen's Woods from an army of undead until reinforcements arrived. Soon after these events, his son Zephlyn was born. As Zeph grew up, he showed great skill with a sword and it was assumed he would follow in his father's footsteps.

One day, Zeph's mother, Adeen, came home only to find Aquinas's body slumped against the foyer wall with the family sword in his chest. After running to his side, she saw her son standing at the foot of the stairs. She asked, "What happened?" Saying nothing, Zephlyn immediately ran out of the house and fled Axis. He now makes a living performing mercenary work on the fringes of the Empire, while rumors still spread of 'Kinkiller' Kaiserstone.

pre:
Zephlyn Kaiserstone
Half-Elf Fighter/Ranger
Level 1

OUT:  My father, a celebrated hero, was murdered.  I won't say if I was the one who killed him.

STR: 16
DEX:17 (+2)
CON: 14 (+2)
INT: 10
WIS: 8
CHA: 14

AC: 17
PD: 15
MD: 11
REC: 9 (1d10+2)

Icon Relationships
~2 Emperor
~1 Elf Queen

Backgrounds
+4 Mercenary Life
+4 War Hero's Son

Racial Ability
Surprising: Once per battle, subtract one from the natural result of one of your own d20 rolls.

Class Features
Extra Tough
Threatening

Feats
Two-Weapon Multiclass (A):  Gain the benefit of Two-Weapon Mastery talent and any feats taken for it even when using attacks from non-ranger class.

Talents
Comeback Strike
Two-Weapon Mastery
Double Melee Attack

Maneuvers
Carve an Opening
Two-Weapon Pressure
I can add equipment later if need be.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
From town to town, across the countryside, there travels a man in bright blue robes. He claims to be a powerful magician, but uses powers unfamiliar to his audience (even moreso than regular magic). He does not travel with a spellbook, nor does he possess inherent magic, as a Sorceror would. He claims that he is but a conduit for the "will of magic", a preposterous claim, given that magic has no will of its own. Still, he somehow manages to produce impressive displays of color and prestidigitation, so he makes a decent living.

This man is Hiram, and he is indeed the conduit for the will of magic. When he was a young man, he found himself having difficulty starting a fire. He was about to give up in frustration when he felt a strange sensation, a compulsion that caused him to throw his hands out towards the campfire, setting the wood ablaze. Since then, the will has been his mostly-silent partner, communicating rarely, and always non-verbally (sometimes by drawing attention to text, sometimes using nearby objects in a strange variant of charades, sometimes by planting the thought directly in Hiram's head). As he is the only such person to ever exist, the very notion earns him no shortage of ridicule. However, he continues to proudly proclaim his status whenever he stops in town to give the villagers a show. He makes some oranges float, flashes some pretty lights, and hopes that the magic doesn't accidentally animate a nearby tree. Of late, however, Hiram has felt a growing need to prove to the world that magic works its will through him. He's always been a little insecure, a little self-deprecating, but this was a deeper need, a need to achieve greatness. To that end, he jumped at the first opportunity for adventure, and will soon scale a tower to demonstrate his magical worth.

Hiram, the Magician (Human)

One Unique Thing: Is the only known living conduit for the previously-unknown (and still largely disbelieved) Will of Magic, which can be a little unpredictable.

Ability Scores:
Str: 8
Dex: 12
Con: 12
Int: 18
Wis: 8
Cha: 18

HP: 21
Init: +2
AC: 12
PD: 13
MD: 16
Recovery die: 1d6+1

Background:

"Prepare to be amazed!" (4 points): As a man who makes his living entertaining others, Hiram has become very socially adept. His main skill lies in performing, but he's had to learn to gladhand and prevaricate in order to get work and avoid being run out of town. He's not unscrupulous enough to grift innocent people, but he's been known to trick an especially haughty merchant here and there. He couldn't intimidate a field mouse, but if anyone can talk their way out of a problem, he can.

"Behold, my awesome power!" (4 points): Being suffused with powerful and ancient magics has its advantages, one of which is the ability to bypass certain obstacles with a mere flick of the wrist. Where a warrior might bash a locked door down, Hiram can magically open the lock just as easily. Where one might push over a tall object to make a bridge over a river, he can call up stones from the riverbed. The will of magic is fickle, however, and may sometimes leave Hiram high and dry.

Talents:

White Magic: Hiram is an essentially kind person, and his magic reflects that.

What's in a name?: By invoking the will of magic directly, Hiram can make his spells more powerful, but the ultimate effect can be unpredictable.

Candle Magic: Hiram is skilled with a variety of knick-knacks and doodads designed to perform rituals, and provides his services to those in need, for a modest fee.

Powers:

Glamer
Break Enchantment
Now You See Me
Dark Aurora
Eldritch Bolt

Feats:

Heal (Adventurer)
Counter Magic (Adventurer)

Icon Relationships:

The Archmage (3 Positive): Who else but the Archmage would ever believe a story as strange as Hiram's? When word reached him that there was a man claiming to have a connection to the will of magic, it's said the Archmage merely smiled. He'd already been observing him for some time, and found him to be neither malicious nor destructive, and so concluded that he was a being to watch, but not necessarily to interfere with.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

There are lots of cool submissions already and long recruitments suck.

12 hours until end of recruitment.

The game will start pretty much right away.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
OK, posted a character, although I'm not sure if I got the numbers right, or if I'm missing anything.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Celeanor, Reconciler

Dark Elf Paladin

One Unique Thing: Dark Elf mysteriously born to the union of a Wood and High Elf

Ability Scores:
STR: 18 (+2)
DEX: 12
CON: 14
INT: 8
WIS: 10
CHA: 16 (+2)

HP: 30
Init: +1
AC: 19
PD: 13
MD: 13
Recovery die: 1d10+2

Background:

Alone, The Tree Grows Strong and Tall (3 points): Celeanor's unique heritage made him an exile from all three elven races. He had to learn to adapt quickly in the face of adversity, fight and talk his way out of trouble, and survive when no elf would as much as speak his name without spitting. This also instilled in him the seeds of his crusade: That before the end of his life, he will see the three Shards made into one whole elvish race once again.

The Three Shards Must Be One (3 points): He soon found that as an outsider to all three, he had in some ways the best position to try and fight for his cause. Since none accepted him, none thought of him as biased toward their foes. As such, with his power and dispensation from the Queen he moves freely between elven races. This delicate balancing act has made him a consummate diplomat and peace-maker. Ally to all, but friend to none, there are few places where Celeanor cannot find some way in peacefully.

Fear Is For Those With Something to Lose (2 points): With no family that cares to acknowledge him, no true friends, and no stable home, Celeanor is truly a knight errant. This makes him both difficult to dissuade or scare away, and simultaneously an intimidating figure; a true lone wolf, with no easy holds or obvious targets. Nothing will stop him from doing what he believes is right. That's terrifying to many with less firm morality.

Class Features: Smite Chaos
Paladin's Challenge
Path of Univerty

Talents:

Bastion: "I stand for the unity of all."

Fearless: Neither flame nor foe nor dark of death will stay this warrior from his duty.

Implacable: "Pain means nothing in the face of failure."

Feats:

Smite Chaos (adventurer)

Icon Relationships:

The Elf Queen (2 Positive): The queen has long sought for the shards of her crown to be reunited, and has granted Celeanor a great deal of unspoken, and unasked for, assistance. Quietly. No point in upsetting anybody. It is well known her favor is on him amongst the elves, though amongst the other races perhaps it will not be as useful.

The Priestess (1 Conflicted): The Priestess of course supports any attempt at unity and togetherness, but the long term animosity and distrust between the Elf Queen and the Priestess has poisoned this one from the start.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
MOGWAI DECEMBER, REANIMATION SPECIALIST
She Wot Devours The Sun, The Perkiest Necromancer, Slightly Weird But She Can't Help It

So here's how you unleash She Wot Devours The Sun, Death's Un-Daughter, The Eight-Titted Whore of The Pocalypse, as per the Book of Experimental Eschatology for Inquisitive Material Planers. (Copyright of Marquis Kor'x Ooo Antisanct, Seventh Square of Mauve Hells)

You need a death cult, of course. A few dozen delusional mass murderers who are bad at reading demonic fine-print will do. On a special date, marked by a thaumically potent celestial conjunction, She is to be conceived with a dying man's seed; after an appropriate period of gestation, She is to be cut out of the dead mother's womb, baptized in the blood of 666 demonically-possessed goats and imbued with Seven Essences of Dying. Indoctrination and Tutelage begin shortly after.

Of course, a lifestyle that includes imbuing infants with the Seven Essences of Dying carries its own occupational hazards, not the least of which is violent death by irate paladins. So, as every other member of the Brotherhood of Shedding Mortality Like a Serpent (Sheds Its Skin) was being hacked to pieces by heavily armored men with glowing swords and excellent hygiene, Mogwai's mortally wounded keeper escaped with her in tow, then conveniently died right where she would be found by a kindly old couple who didn't have any children. You know how the rest of this goes.

Years later, when certain peculiarities of Mogwai's background became apparent (the Fido incident being the final straw) Mom and Dad did what all good parents do and decided to help their baby nurture her natural talents in the right direction, instead of trying to mold her into someone who she's not. Thus, Mogwai became the youngest student at the Horizon College, from which she graduated with majors in Applied Thanatothurgy, Recreational Vivisection, Afterlife Law and a minor in Interpetive Dance.

Now, after a whole lot of hugging Mom and Dad and promising to write them letters every week and swearing she'll wear at least three scarves whenever she's outdoors, she's going adventuring.

pre:
Name: Mogwai December
Race: Human +Cha
Class/Level: Necromancer 1 +Int

Strength: 	10	0	
Constitution:	10	0
Dexterity: 	10	0		
Intelligence: 	18	+4
Wisdom:		10	0
Charisma:	18	+4

HP: 18
AC: 10
PD: 10
MD: 15
Initiative: +1
Recoveries: 8 (1d6)

Racial Power: 
Human - Extra Feat.

Feat: 
Skeletal Minion Adventurer Feat: When an enemy attempts to disengage from
the skeletal minion, it takes a penalty to the check equal to
the escalation die.

Chant of Endings Adventurer Feat: Can choose whether to target only non-mooks.

Talents:
Deathknell
It's Complicated
Skeletal Minion

Spells: (4 + 1 - level 1)
Channel Life
Death's Gauntlet
Chant of Endings
Summon Undead
Unholy Blast

Gear: Dagger, Silver-Headed Walking Stick (Staff), Stylish Black Robes, 25g 
Description:
Slightly Too Bright Eyes, Fashionably Pale Skin, Feverish Blush, Sheepish Smile

One Unique Thing:
Horsewoman of The Cancelled Pocalypse

Icon Relationships:
Lich King 1 (Negative)

Archmage 2 (Positive)

Background:
A Happy, Well-Rounded Upbringing +3

College is Time for Experimentation +5

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tanduril
Elven Archery Champion entering the third decade in a row! Attache to the Elven Ambassador in the Emperor's lands! Kind of a dickhead!

The Elven ambassador sighs and thinks about his mission to spread goodwill and the spirit of unity between humans and elves, and how it's been going so far. Three days ago his attache Tanduril beat the local archery champion in what was supposed to be a fair contest. That alone was fair enough, I mean, we are elves and come on, but it was probably more humiliating than was good for the mission to split an arrow in the champion's quiver. Two days ago disaster was only barely averted when Tanduril's tame - hah! - owl had almost successfully hunted the duke's beloved terrier. Yesterday there had been a serious complaint by a blacksmith who swore he had seen, clear as day, an elf climb out of his daughters' bedroom window, then disappear with no trace except for a faint hooting noise.

The mission, then, isn't going particularly well, and it's got Tanduril written all over it.

Tonight there is a banquet, the ambassador's last chance to smooth things over here. Tanduril is in his quarters picking out shirts and, no doubt, preparing to explain to everyone in earshot how Elven cuisine is vastly superior to the burnt cow - not even a wild one, from a fenced pasture! - and mushy carrots the humans see fit to serve. (Which, again, he has a point, but maybe keep it to yourself?) There's no way around it, member of the delegation or not, he has to go.

Wasn't there some story in town about a strange tower that could use investigating and was conveniently far away...?

Wood Elf Ranger

STR 12
CON 12
DEX 18
INT 10
WIS 14
CHA 12

AC 15, PD 12, MD 11

Talents: Double Ranged Attack, Animal Companion (Owl)
Feats: Elven Grace Adventurer

Backgrounds:
Archery Contest Champion +4
I figure this doesn't only include actual shooting, but also a fair bit of athleticism - shoot from a run, unseen, from a tree etc. - as well as prestige
Legendary Elven Glamour +3
He does know how to fascinate people. Probably why he hasn't been lynched yet.
Attache to the Elven ambassador +1
He has that position. He's not particularly good at it..

Icons:
Elf Queen 3 (positive)
Having grown up deep in the Elven forests, Tanduril is preciously little concerned with the wars and struggles of the humans and dwarves and whatnot outside. They're over in mere decades and never reach the inner woods. In part because people like Tanduril protect the perimeter.

One Unique Thing: All the other rangers are smarter than their animal companions.
When you get right down to it it's probably the owl that wears the pants in this relationship, and he's mainly interested in mice.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 3, 2015

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.
Louise Septienne

Tiefling Paladin/Fighter

With corrupted and twisted magic the Diabolist created thirteen agents of destruction by fusing demonic blood with that of the common races. The first six were granted tremendous power that shattered their minds, while they were good at wreaking havoc when told, they lacked initiative. The Seventh was to have more agency but was given far too much and proved to be unwilling to carry out her wicked designs. Taking lessons from her previous attempts the Diabolist has now succeeded; The last six has been created with their minds intact, their lust for chaos unlimited and their loyalty unwavering.

Louise was the Seventh. After it became apparent that Louise did not share her creator's desire for chaos and destruction the Diabolist wanted her to suffer. She had Louise put in chains and tormented her until one day when - as far as Louise can tell - she grew bored or became preoccupied with something important. With the Diabolist's attention focused elsewhere and fearing prompt execution, Louise managed to break free and escape from the Hell Marsh.
Full of rage and craving vengeance Louise knew just what she had to do to display the ultimate form of defiance against her creator. She made her way towards Axis - more precisely to First Triumph where she swore allegiance to the Crusader and vowed to bring ruin to chaos and to unmake her twelve siblings. The Crusader was amused to have a half-demon willingly desire to follow him and accepted Louise's oath.
Having finished her training she sets out to travel the world to increase her power and thwart the Diabolist's plots.

One Unique Thing: The Seventh out of thirteen demonically created beings made by the Diabolist.

Icon Relationships
The Diabolist, Negative 2: Having been raised in the Hell Marsh and directly involved in her designs, Louise has good insight into the unpredictable methodology of the Diabolist but as she is marked for death any old acquaintances would rather lop off Louise's head than reminisce. Louise's desire to exact vengeance upon the Diabolist and her minions and the ruthlessness she displays while pursuing this goal is well known.
The Crusader, Positive 1: Louise threw in her lot with the Crusader with great enthusiasm and received most of her combat training during her time as his follower. While she has left his organization she did so with the Crusader's blessing, he recognized that her need to forge her own fate stymied her growth and that she would remain true to the cause.

Backgrounds:
Raised in Hell +5
Student of War +3

pre:
Louise Septienne
Level 2 Tiefling Paladin/Fighter

STR  16		(+3)		Max Hit Points: 40(+4)
CON  15		(+2)		Max Recoveries: 10
DEX  8		(-1)		Recovery value: 2d10 + 2
INT  10		(+0)		Armour Class: 22 (Base 17, Level 2, WIS 2, Bastion 1)
WIS  14		(+2)		PD: 14	MD: 16
CHA  16		(+3)		Initiative: +1

+2 strength from race, +2 charisma from class.

Key Modifier: Lowest of Str/Cha (+3)

Race Features
	Curse of Chaos (1/battle)

Class Features
	Extra Tough
		You start with nine recoveries instead of the usual eight.
	Threatening
		Whenever an enemy attempts to disengage from you, it takes a
		penalty to its check equal to your Dexterity or Constitution
		modifier, whicever is higher.
	Demonic Smite
		You can use this talent once per battle, plus an additional
		number of times per day equal to your Charisma modifier.
		As a free action before you make a paladin attack roll, you
		can declare that you're using a Smite Evil attack.
		Add +1d12 to the damage roll AND deal half damage with the
		attack if it misses.

Talents
	Paladin's Challenge (Paladin)
		See page 115 in the Core Rulebook.
	Skilled Intercept (Fighter)
		Once per round as a free action, roll a normal save (11+) to
		intercept an enemy who is moving to attack one of your nearby
		allies. You can pop free from one enemy to move and intercept
		the attack (if you are engaged with more than one enemy, the
		others can take opportunity attacks against you).
		The moving enemy makes its attack with you as a target
		instead. If you’re wearing heavy armor and the attack hits, you
		only take half damage.
	Bastion (Paladin)
		You gain +1 AC.
		In addition, once per battle when a nearby ally is hit by an attack,
		you can choose to lose hit points equal to half of that damage, and
		have your ally take only half of the damage instead. The damage you 
		lose can come from temporary hit points, but isn’t affected by damage
		resistance and other tricks to avoid the damage.
Maneuvers
	Defensive Fighting 
		Triggering Roll: Natural 16+; if you fight with a shield, also any natural even roll.
		Effect:	Gain a +2 bonus to AC until the end of your next turn.
	Carve an Opening
		Triggering Roll: Any natural odd roll
		Effect: Your crit range with melee attacks expands by a cumulative +1 this battle
			until you score a melee critical hit. When you score a melee critical hit,
			your crit range drops back to normal.
	Shield Bash
		Special: You must be using a shield.
		Triggering Roll: Any natural even roll
		Effect: The target pops free from you after the attack (does not allow opportunity attacks).

Feats
	Demonic Smite
		Smite gains a +4 attack bonus. (A)
	Bastion
		Increase your total number of recoveries by 1. (A)

Basic Attacks
	Basic Melee attack
		Attack: +5(+1 Magic Weapon) vs. AC
		Hit: 2d8 + 3(+1 Magic Weapon) damage
		Miss: 2 damage

Gear
	Heavy Armor: Ornate Plate Armor, fairly well polished.
	Shield:	Dragon-blessed Shield of Recovery, three bars of metal run downs its centre - one red, one blue, one black.
		[+4 HP; (recharge 11+): When you make a basic melee attack, heal using a recovery.]
	Martial One-handed Weapon: Glazenthorg the Bloody. 
		[(recharge 11+): When you hit with an attack using this weapon that staggers or drops an enemy,
		  make another melee attack that turn as a free action.]

Loot
	1 Healing Potion (Adventurer)

Hello everyone! I'm new to PBP, 13th Age and this sub-forum but I've played a bunch of (homemade) pen and paper RPGs when I was around 12-16 and I'm eager to play again. I hope I didn't make any glaring mistakes while creating this character, 13th Age is quite different from anything I've played before and it's interesting how it makes you to intertwine your character into the world as you create it. I didn't have time to read up on the Dragon Empire much since this thread got going so fast but I'll make sure to do that as soon as I can. I'd also like to take this moment to curse the two previous posters who made my character seem exceedingly grimdark!

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 12, 2015

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Hey guys, made picks. Everyone was good, picking was hard. Stick around and make peanut gallery comments if you like. If you didn't get in then I'm sorry.

The party
Citra – Human Barbarian
Denarion Verdefen – Half-orc Bard
Charles Aldebraun – Human Cleric
Rowan Hawthorn – Human Wizard
Louise Septienne – Tiefling Paladin

The game thread will be up shortly (when I've finished laying it out and writing bits).

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Game thread is up http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692229

Goodnight.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
A little something to keep things neat. Feel free to steal guys.

pre:
Denarion Verdefen

Stats		Per-Battle		Daily/Recharge
HP	24/24	Lethal		[ ]	Befuddle (11+) 	[ ]	
Rec.	8	Pull it Tog.	[ ][ ]	Hero Song (11+)	[ ]
AC	13	Cantrips 	[ ][ ]	Acid Arrow	[ ]
PD	12
MD	14

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Hey Alouicious, what race is Citra? If she's a human, don't forget she gets a second feat, and has Quick to Fight as a racial power.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Point of order: attacks with multiple targets roll an attack roll for each target, though you do only roll once for damage to all of them. Not that it would have saved Rowan from a vicious poking this time, but something to keep in mind.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Oh. Well then.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Alouicious, you still in or this not for you?

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Celeanor, Reconciler

Dark Elf Paladin Sorcerer

One Unique Thing: Dark Elf mysteriously born to the union of a Wood and High Elf

Ability Scores:
STR: 8
DEX: 16 (+2)
CON: 14
INT: 12
WIS: 10
CHA: 18 (+2)

HP: 32
Init: +5
AC: 14
PD: 15
MD: 13
Recovery die: 1d6+2

Background:

Alone, The Tree Grows Strong and Tall (3 points): Celeanor's unique heritage made him an exile from all three elven races. He had to learn to adapt quickly in the face of adversity, fight and talk his way out of trouble, and survive when no elf would as much as speak his name without spitting. This also instilled in him the seeds of his crusade: That before the end of his life, he will see the three Shards made into one whole elvish race once again.

The Three Shards Must Be One (3 points): He soon found that as an outsider to all three, he had in some ways the best position to try and fight for his cause. Since none accepted him, none thought of him as biased toward their foes. As such, with his power and dispensation from the Queen he moves freely between elven races. This delicate balancing act has made him a consummate diplomat and peace-maker. Ally to all, but friend to none, there are few places where Celeanor cannot find some way in peacefully.

Fear Is For Those With Something to Lose (2 points): With no family that cares to acknowledge him, no true friends, and no stable home, Celeanor is truly a wild card. This makes him both difficult to dissuade or scare away, and simultaneously an intimidating figure; a true lone wolf, with no easy holds or obvious targets. Nothing will stop him from doing what he believes is right. That's terrifying to many with less firm morality.

Class Features:
Access to Wizardry
Breath Weapon
Dancing Lights
Gather Power

Talents:
Fey Heritage
Metallic Protector Heritage
Chromatic Destroyer Heritage

Spells:
Breath of the White
Burning Hands
Lighting Fork
Chaos Bolt
Resist Energy

Feats: Chaos Bolt
Gather Power

Icon Relationships:

The Elf Queen (2 Positive): The queen has long sought for the shards of her crown to be reunited, and has granted Celeanor a great deal of unspoken, and unasked for, assistance. Quietly. No point in upsetting anybody. It is well known her favor is on him amongst the elves, though amongst the other races perhaps it will not be as useful.

The Priestess (1 Conflicted): The Priestess of course supports any attempt at unity and togetherness, but the long term animosity and distrust between the Elf Queen and the Priestess has poisoned this one from the start.

K Prime fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 22, 2015

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the adventure as written. Some of you were around in the IRC room when we were talking about this, but it would be great to have it written down just so I can refer back to it when I'm planning stuff. I want to make sure that this is a game you enjoy and that your characters get to do the stuff that you want to do. PbP makes some elements of railroading a slight necessity (nobody wants to wait 18 hours for someone to post "Okay." when we know that is what they are going to say), but aside from that I want there to be a lot of choices and decisions for people to make.

My current plan for the campaign: Party of adventurers get caught up in the machinations of the Icons and get to play kingmaker. A world-spanning journey involving visiting and revisiting interesting places, working for interesting people, and collecting cool stuff to do cool things in order to benefit the big guys. The book doesn't outright say not to let players meet Icons directly, but I think this is something that we'll save til much higher levels. My idea is that there will be quite a lot of maguffin hunting and doing quests for people, but that the decisions on WHO to quest for and WHO to help, drive the campaign. Icons will lie to you and you will get the chance to lie to them. Make friends with different groups and play them against each other. Try and help out the Icons and groups that you support, whilst avoiding drawing too much open ire from the others, all the while making space for yourselves in the heirarchy of powerful people.

I'd appreciate some feedback and just a very brief list or paragraph about the sort of game that people want to play. This can be general or very specific - "Lots of dungeons", "Political intrigue", "A chance for my guy to confront his demons and grow" are all good answers. This will also work a lot better if people have ideas of things their characters want and want to do on a long-term scale. Without lots of input this runs the risk of becoming "go to place, meet icon, do quest, go to next place," which isn't my aim. There is definitely space to do "I want to get a new sword for my guy' or 'I want to find out what the overworld is like above this city' or 'I'm angry at what that Icon did, I want to gently caress them over in a side-mission that doesn't directly relate to what we're doing now.'

Thoughts, ideas?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Thanks for running this! I definitely want to continue. I'll have to be brief, since I'm on my phone, but I like a mix of combat and politics/investigation. Rowan definitely has a lot of opportunities for social intrigues and all that.

I'd like to do some Temple Raiding. I enjoy set pieces where there's a fair bit to poke around at.

I think that we can keep the pace up to a decent level by chatting in irc and giving a little bit of leeway for RP. We can probably figure out how todo narration and dialog in a way that seems sensible and smooth.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
The plan as is sounds cool, CaptainIndigo. If I'm reading you right, the idea is that we take adventures or missions for some icon or another, confronting baddies and being heroes, while between adventures we RP chat and decide who to help and who to shun. Sounds sweet to me! The pace the game has been going has been great, I don't really have any complaints over how we've been interacting or moved along.

I'm mostly interested in the character interaction, especially the stuff in my background and OUT leading to adventures and conflicts. I still like the combat system in this game, but I'd appreciate opportunities to try crazy things or do interactions other than 'sword/spell at baddie' during a fight.

I guess if I had a specific wishlist, its mostly adventure stuff. With both Denarion and Celeanor being strange births among the elves, its obvious something weird is happening among the elves. Getting to confront that would be rad. Also, as a minor note, Denarion's sword is an elvish family heirloom. I wouldn't mind having a reason for that to get more powerful, as opposed to swapping it out for another magical weapon.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I'm wondering how the group will react if I start delivering artifacts back to the Archmage :v:

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

In regards to some questions in IRC - now is a good time to respec your dude or change things before we move on to the campaign proper. Once we're going I would sort of prefer people to keep things mostly constant but there is definitely always room to shuffle stuff around if we realize you aren't getting to use stuff.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Right, then I've rejiggerred my stats and changed my character sheet. I'm much more meaty for melee combat, but I've lost my charisma and I'm down to 1 dice conflicted with the Elf Queen. I didn't need that charm anyway, frankly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I will look at my stats when I get a chance, but they'll probably just stay as is.

• Locked thread