Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Thanatosian, I don't need a huge background but can you give me an idea of when/how Bennett got powers? Keep in mind that they've only been around for a year, although there are a lot of superhumans in Vietnam right now so it's plausible he got them in China and teleported home.

I'm gonna suggest that Ed, Les and Lazenby got their powers from the same woman in Bright's entourage and just tuck that NPC into my back pocket if no one objects.

As for what you guys are doing at the festival: Lazenby is presumably known to the organizers since he's helping shoot the documentary, and is famous in his own right. What if each of you made yourselves known individually to the people in charge (mainly ~25 year olds Michael Lang and Artie Kornfeld) as guys with powers and an interest in helping out, and were introduced to each other via them? It seems consistent with the level of planning for the actual event that they'd be content to just put the known metahumans together and be like "welp, sounds like you guys got this under control, tickets are on us!"

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
It might be a bit odd for Les to work directly for the event organizers, but if Ed and Les are aware of each others' powers Les would definitely attach himself to the meta-team through Ed. He'd probably have to buy his own ticket, but at least there'd be people with authority who have at least the nominal idea that they should listen to him.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I picked up a new roommate last week, had to get him moved in. Also, I was struck with a bit of inspiration, and stuck with the same basic character concept, but completely changed his main power; it's loosely based on Time Fugue from the Wild Talents book.

pre:
Name:  Bennett Watts
Career:  Soldier
Nationality:  American
Race:  Caucasian
DOB:  09/21/1948
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 203 lbs.
Loyalties:  The USA (2), Buddhism (1), Family (2)
Passions:  Peace (5)

Body          2D (+1D)
Coordination  3D
Sense         3D
Mind          2D
Charm         1D
Command       5D (+4HD)

Base Will:  10
Willpower:  10

Athletics 3D
Brawl 1D (+2D, +10WD)
Dodge 2D
Empathy 3D
Endurance 1D
Language (Vietnamese) 3D
Ranged Weapon (Rifles) 2D
Stability 1D

Still the Waters (10) - 10HD (200)

Defends:  Duration +2, Interference +3, Power Capacity (Range) +2, Radius +2, No Physical Change -1, Depleted (takes two hours of isolated meditation to recharge) -1, Willpower Bid -1
Defends Capacities:  Range

Useful:  Duration +2, Interference +3, Radius +2, No Physical Change -1, Depleted (takes two hours of isolated meditation to recharge) -1, Willpower Bid -1
Useful Capacity:  Range

Bennett alters the flow of chi to fill a large area.  The targets are filled with an overwhelming sense of peace, tranquility, and goodwill towards their fellow man.  
Taking violent or angry actions becomes impossible for most; they generally describe it as "better than weed."

Hyper-Command - 4HD - 32

Bennett's control over the energy flows allows him to control normally-autonomous functions of his body and mind.  He is incredibly serene; most people think he's a bit... off.

Hyper-Body - 1D - 14
Penetration 10 (+10)

With a touch, Bennett can adjust the flows of chi around an object, creating incredible weak points.  He can shatter engine blocks with his bare hands.  

Hyper-Brawl - 2D, 10WD - 42

Bennett is a master of the Yang style of tai chi.  

+4 Base Will - 12
Background:

Bennett Watts was born in Rochester, NY. He grew up a typical "all-American" kid, with a sister, very supportive, very Catholic parents, attending a good school in the suburbs. He was an average student, but an excellent football player. An offensive lineman, he was being courted by several schools for scholarships during his senior year of high school.

It was a complete shock to all of Bennett's friends, and especially his family when he enlisted in the army. The Vietnam War had been heating up, and Bennett said "some things are more important than football." Bennett ended up drawing swiftboat duty, patrolling the rivers of Vietnam. Bennett served well, until his boat was ambushed by a group of Viet Cong. Backup was a long time in arriving, and by the time they got there, most of Bennett's squad had been killed. Bennett himself was shot, and badly burned.

The next couple of weeks are something of a blur for Bennett. He remembers a lot of pain, a lot of very weird dreams; he remembers brief moments of lucidity, where he realized he was missing a leg, and an awful lot of skin. And he remembers Nguyen Van Khiet, the monk who laid hands on him.

Bennett was quickly healed; and he soon discovered not just healed, but better. Nguyet introduced himself, and explained that he had little time, but asked Bennett to cease violence, and pointed him in the direction of a Buddhist monastery. And so, Bennett went AWOL. He up and left, and simply headed away from the fighting. There, he found a small, quiet Buddhist monastery. In relative isolation, he began to get a hold on his powers. He studied for a full six months, which may not seem like long, but as it turned out, Bennett was now a quick study. A very quick study. He took to chi like a fish to water.

Finally, Bennett came to the conclusion that he couldn't just walk away from his old life. He thanked the monks, packed up his few possessions, and went to turn himself in. Once back on base, everyone was surprised to see him; they had assumed he was dead. Expecting a court martial, Bennett was instead met with a medical discharge, and a handful of medals.

Given a new chance, Bennett has been spending time at home, trying to reconnect with his family, and working with the anti-war movement. When he heard about Woodstock, he felt compelled to go, not just to experience the music, but to make sure that nobody gets hurt.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 31, 2015

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
That's a solid power and probably a better fit than portals. Right now it's only used for Defends though, are you okay with that or do you want it to have Useful as well?

Your lineage is Amanda Sykes>Nguyet Cam>Tyuet Thi Dang>Nguyen Van Khiet>Bennett Watts. Nguyen Van Khiet was a rebellious Buddhist monk from South Vietnam who received powers from Tyuet Thi Dang, the master healer of Nguyet Cam's Progressive Cadre team, and became a healer himself. He was the one who eventually pointed you in the direction of the secluded Buddhist monastery, along with giving your language skills a boost outside of a combat environment.

Ed/Les/Lazenby: your lineages are Amanda Sykes>Abe Sykes>Deionne Bright>Leni Grimshaw>You.

Lucas Bello's lineage is a mystery for the moment until Ibntumart weighs in on where he's from and how he got powers!

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Cool. I'm excited for this game! As I'm getting prepared, I'm trying to wrap my head around the gadgeteering rules more fully. They seem to be kind of like Mutants and Masterminds' gadgeteering rules, except a little more complicated. My understanding is that it's basically I can assign dots to any power I want, except they have to have the Focus flaw and the Manufacturable extra, and I pay their dice cost in willpower to do it. I can then make the thing permanent by paying a base will point and the willpower cost again, or pay half the cost in base will to make it something that is widely available to everyone and affect the game state.

Like, I statted up a three dice flying platform that I'd like Lazenby to start with, did I do this right?

pre:
Flight Disk

Useful 3 (Flight: Mass) Extras: Capacity: Speed +1, Full Capacity: Mass +1 ,Booster: Speed +1, 
Endless +1, Manufacturable +2 Flaws: Focus -1, Accessible -1, Depleted -1, Unwieldy -1

6 WP
It will fly an average-sized man at around 200 MPH, but it's easy to get knocked off of it, it needs to be recharged eventually, and it's not especially maneuverable, limiting the width of rolls used to crazy stunts with it. Did I do this right?

It seems like my willpower pool is small enough that I won't be gadgeteering too often, especially if I'm also using The Most Interesting Man in the World, but maybe that's within theme for this character.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Baby Babbeh posted:

Cool. I'm excited for this game! As I'm getting prepared, I'm trying to wrap my head around the gadgeteering rules more fully. They seem to be kind of like Mutants and Masterminds' gadgeteering rules, except a little more complicated. My understanding is that it's basically I can assign dots to any power I want, except they have to have the Focus flaw and the Manufacturable extra, and I pay their dice cost in willpower to do it. I can then make the thing permanent by paying a base will point and the willpower cost again, or pay half the cost in base will to make it something that is widely available to everyone and affect the game state.

You got it. You can recover all the willpower spent on a non-permanent gadget (including those made by other gadgeteers if you get your hands on one) by disassembling it yourself. Making it widely available to everyone also takes a few months of collaboration with non-powered scientists, but doing that is of course optional.

Baby Babbeh posted:

Like, I statted up a three dice flying platform that I'd like Lazenby to start with, did I do this right?

pre:
Flight Disk

Useful 3 (Flight: Mass) Extras: Capacity: Speed +1, Full Capacity: Mass +1 ,Booster: Speed +1, 
Endless +1, Manufacturable +2 Flaws: Focus -1, Accessible -1, Depleted -1, Unwieldy -1

6 WP
It will fly an average-sized man at around 200 MPH, but it's easy to get knocked off of it, it needs to be recharged eventually, and it's not especially maneuverable, limiting the width of rolls used to crazy stunts with it. Did I do this right?

Pretty much right. Useful should be 2 not 3, unless you're spending 1 point to raise it to 3 and negate 1 penalty die when you use the power. Right now the power cost is 3 per die, so 9 WP for 3d, but it would be 2 per die/6 WP for 3d with Useful 2.

Baby Babbeh posted:

It seems like my willpower pool is small enough that I won't be gadgeteering too often, especially if I'm also using The Most Interesting Man in the World, but maybe that's within theme for this character.

It is a little small for a gadgeteer. The example statblock in the book for someone with 6d in Gadgeteering gives them +22 Base Will, and you have +12. If you wanted to add more, some ideas would be:
  • Your 3d Perception/Persuasion hyperskills would be worth +1 base will each
  • You could drop both of your artistic 5HD hyperskills to 2HD for +2 base will each
  • You could convert those 5HD into 5d and drop both of your 3d hyperskills to 2d for a total of +4 base will
  • You could drop Most Interesting Man down to 2d for +3 base will

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
So how much time do we have between running into Leni Grimshaw and the actual Woodstock? Les might prepare some syntergenes just in case, and he's probably got a shortwave radio receiver that he could pick up some extra languages with.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Per your background, Les got powers from Grimshaw when the Woodstock organizers were first visiting Wallkill to check it out, which Wikipedia tells me was in March-April of '69. It's mid-August now, so assume Les has been the world's smartest boy for 4 months. Feel free to work on syntergenes in that timeframe. From looking at the numbers, you'll also be able to design one during the festival in the space of 1 or 2 days if you want, which I assume you will.

I'm pretty much ready to start the thread, but you guys can have the weekend to cook up gadgets and syntergenes while I prep and stuff.

e: if you're interested, here's some background on how the festival was being set up, the documentary, and the general attitude in Wallkill: http://web.archive.org/web/20100127055604/http://www.discoverynet.com/~barnes/wsrprnt1.htm

quote:

Rosenman told Wallkill officials in late March or early April that the concert would feature Jazz bands and folk singers. He also said that 50,000 people would attend if they were lucky. Town Supervisor Jack Schlosser throught something was fishy. "More than anything else, I really feel they were deliberately misleading the town," Schlosser said. "The point is, they were less than truthful about the numbers. I became more and more aware, as discussions with them progressed, they did not really know what they were doing. I was in the Army when divisions were 40,000 or 50,000 men," he said. "Christ almighty, the logistics involved in moving men around... I said at one point, 'I don't care if was a convention of 50,000 ministers," I would have felt the same way."

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 18, 2015

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Excellent - I'll use this as an opportunity to walk myself through the syntergene process so I can be sure I have it down.

Trying This Out posted:

To start with something light, Les will design some hand-crafted "Welcome to Wallkill" signs to place on routes leading into the festival. It's basically glorified advertising copy, so it'll be designed as follows:
  • Moves target's opinion of Wallkill from Indifferent to Favor (requires width 2)
  • Targets English-speaking humans within Wallkill, NY (-3 difficulty)
  • Takes effect instantly upon seeing the sign (-7d penalty)
  • designed on a scale of weeks
Les' starting pool for syntergenes is 9HD+2d+6WD. Applying penalties, Les' effective pool for that roll is 2HD+2d+6WD, and he has to roll against difficulty 10. Since there's 10 dice in the pool, the design takes him a single week. So I'd set my wiggle dice to 10, add my hard dice, then roll my 2 regular dice to see if either of them hit 10 as well, like so. With that, I get a width of 9, which is plenty and the signs are successfully designed.

When someone's exposed to Les' sign, they roll Stability, and the syntergene rolls its Width, in this case 9 dice. If the syntergene can gobble away the target's Stability, it works. This is for individuals, though. On a mass level, though, this'll probably all be abstracted.

Les will also spend another week to make the converse version, some "Woodstock Music & Art Fair" flyers that'd go up in town. It'd be the same as above, except it would simply target English-speaking humans within Wallkill, NY (-3 difficulty), and move the target's opinion of the Woodstock festival from Indifferent to Favor. No 10s from the normal dice, so it's a width 8 syntergene.

Then there's the nuclear option, to be broken out only in the event of a catastrophe. This syntergene takes the form of an achingly beautiful violin piece that is currently written down only in Les' head:
  • Immediately shift target's opinion of "love and forgiveness for your fellow man" to Passionate Identification (requires width 7)
  • Targets English-speaking humans within Wallkill, NY (-3 difficulty)
  • Takes effect after a minute of exposure (-6d penalty)
  • designed on a scale of weeks

Dice pool being 3HD+1d+6WD, 0 extra successes (misrolled, that should only be 1d10) for a width of 9 and success after one week of design.
Does all this look right? Also, the setting info in the book references creating free-thought syntergenes (Bright's song "Little Green Man", for example) to liberate the mind or protect against other syntergenes. Is is possible to create a "protection vs. syntergenics" or "dispel syntergene" syntergene?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I think you have that right.

Green Bean posted:

Also, the setting info in the book references creating free-thought syntergenes (Bright's song "Little Green Man", for example) to liberate the mind or protect against other syntergenes. Is is possible to create a "protection vs. syntergenics" or "dispel syntergene" syntergene?

Yes, in fact there's one in the book. Check out page 320.

e: here's a fun thing you and Lazenby can do: ask any big-picture question about the state of the world or the outcome of an event ("What will happen if...") and roll Mind to get a straight answer. You can do this once per week, so you can probably ask one question during the game proper, but you can do some background prep if you like and work those hyperbrains.

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 18, 2015

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Kellsterik posted:

Yes, in fact there's one in the book. Check out page 320.

Oh, interesting, they're statted up as gadgets. However, given how Fog in the Swamp of Free Will works, it seems I can duplicate the effect by creating a syntergene that similarly makes people forget the contents of last syntergene or hyper-persuasion they experienced. Definitely want to whip one of those up.

As for world-state questions, that's a little trickier. For starters, how about "given his level of fame and metahuman powers, just how much influence does Deionne Bright have on the world stage, and which power blocs does he represent the greatest threat to?" I dunno if that's too close to Weeks' Limited Omniscience stuff, but it seems relevant. I'll do another once-over of the setting timeline to see what kind of world events Les might be interested in cracking.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
"Where did I put my keys?"

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Kellsterik posted:

I think i've solved the puzzle of Ibntumart's power math! It turns out that one of the NPCs in the adventure has a non-healing power built similarly to Radiant Repair, which made me realize how RR is supposed to work. Basically by "Radius 10" it meant you have the Radius extra at +10, giving it 160 yards. So here's your writeup:

Thank you! That makes perfect sense. Is there anything else I should write up or is it just figuring out why he's at Woodstock?

Backgroundwise, I think there's no way he could avoid people discovering his powers. Maybe he hides some of what he can do, but everyone still knows that Lucas Bello can fix things and people with his mind (though whether he can break them, no one knows, and he deflects the question). With all the spotlight on his gifts, though, he wasn't able to avoid the race issue anymore. Pretending to be Italian doesn't work anymore when the news does mini-biographies about the son of migrant Mexican farm workers who managed to get into college and then developed a supernatural power to heal things and repair objects.

So maybe this is all fairly recent---as in a few months or so---and he jumped at the offer to help out at Woodstock. Good chance to show himself off in a positive light, make sure no one gets hurt (or at least, doesn't stay hurt), maybe help some of his favorite musicians should their gear break down... it'll be great.

Also, I changed the name of his Molecular Restoration power. (It was that or "Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk," but I think I made the right choice.)

pre:
Name: Lucas Bello                         Race: Hispanic
Nationality: United States                Height: 5'8"
DOB:  June 12, 1949                       Weight: 158 lbs.

Loyalty: Family (5)
Passion: Exploring Counterculture (4)

Stats
Body: 2              Coordination: 2
Sense: 2             Mind: 3
Command: 2           Charm: 2

Base Will: 9         Willpower: 9

Skills
Driving: 1
Empathy: 3
First Aid: 2
Medicine: 2
Language (Spanish): 2
Lie: 2
Research: 1
Stability: 2

Power Suite

Atom Heart Mother (Molecular Restoration) 5HD (140 points)
As Abe Sykes' version, but cannot be used to kill people by regressing them out of existence and cannot cure disease- Radiant Repair does that.
Each application of this power heals 5 Shock and Killing damage from a single hit location of your choice, no roll needed.
  • Defends (+2), Interference (+3), Range Capacity (+2)
  • Useful (Repairs) (+2), Interference (+3), Mass Capacity (+2)
Pow.R. T.Ch. (Radiant Repair) 8HD (160 points) When you "turn on" this power, everyone within a 160 yard radius centered on Lucas is cured of toxins and illnesses with an 8x10 set.
  • Useful (Heal Diseases and Toxins) (+2), Radius (160 yards) (+10), Touch Only (-2)
+5 Base Will (15 points) Lucas' 20 points from his Student career base have been spent on +5 Base Will and raising Mind to 3.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Green Bean posted:

For starters, how about "given his level of fame and metahuman powers, just how much influence does Deionne Bright have on the world stage, and which power blocs does he represent the greatest threat to?"

Bright is still emerging into the broader public eye, but an event on the scale of what Woodstock is shaping up to be will likely be the catalyst that makes him a household name in the US and beyond. He could easily surpass the present influence of the Beatles if he wished, barring some hypothetical major scandal that tarnished his reputation for the mainstream- John Lennon's "more popular than Jesus" quip three years ago comes to mind. Although he could potentially be a serious threat to the United States government if he became a lightning rod for youth dissent, there is no evidence so far that he has any particular inclination to radical politics or much of anything beyond the proverbial sex, drugs and rock n' roll.

ibntumart posted:

Is there anything else I should write up or is it just figuring out why he's at Woodstock?

What you've got now is good for background, I just want a quick sketch of who you caught your powers from in case there's a golden opportunity to bring them up.

Epicurius posted:

"Where did I put my keys?"

10WD each in "mark things as mine", "locate things I own" and "teleport my possessions to me" would be a decent use of 300 points...

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Oh, two more;

1. "What would happen if the United States immediately and fully committed to the war in Vietnam. Full on, everything up to but not including nuclear level commitment."

2. "What would happen if the United States withdrew from Vietnam?"

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Updated, and I think done. Hated to drop the Hyper-Sense, but wanted to step up the Still Waters and Hyper-Brawl. And to think, I was trying to figure out what I would ever do with 300 points when we started.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I still have to stat it up, but in terms of plant gadgets, what about a plant put near the entrance that would detect if somebody walking past it was carrying a weapon, and if so, signal me, or the authorities, or whoever? Alternately, something doing the same with illegal drugs? Anybody think that's a good idea?

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Epicurius posted:

I still have to stat it up, but in terms of plant gadgets, what about a plant put near the entrance that would detect if somebody walking past it was carrying a weapon, and if so, signal me, or the authorities, or whoever? Alternately, something doing the same with illegal drugs? Anybody think that's a good idea?

Woodstock's basically the largest gathering of hippies in American history, so I kinda feel placing an illegal drug sensor anywhere near there is going to be like installing a smoke detector next to a forest fire. Plus, busting people for possession would be a great way for this to get ugly.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Maybe, but speaking as a representative of the government of Walkill, here, while we want people coming to this festival to have a good time, illegality and illegal drug use really can't be tolerated. We have faith that the organizers know this and share our desire for a safe, legal gathering where everyone will enjoy themselves and avoid antisocial or destructive behavior.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Kellsterik posted:

What you've got now is good for background, I just want a quick sketch of who you caught your powers from in case there's a golden opportunity to bring them up.

Maybe he was in the same crowd as Cassandra Cowper (p. 244) when Abbie Hoffman accidentally transformed her. She became a sentient ball of energy, but Lucas (full of dreams of medical school and buying heavily into the peace and love part of the counterculture) became a healer a la Abe Sykes (kind of).

Epicurius posted:

From the point of view of the local government, that probably sounds like a good idea. Not one that'll be too popular with the actual attendants, bands, or a significant portion of the populace (though not the portion of the populace the opinion of which Ed likely cares very much about).

Of course, historically, the organizers never completed their security measures since they had didn't have enough time and way more people than expected showed up. They wound up taking what fences they had down. So Ed's device might not make much difference if thousands of people enter from all over and there's not manpower to catch those the device detects.

Then again, historically the organizers didn't have access to superpowered geniuses and gadgeteers....

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

ibntumart posted:

Maybe he was in the same crowd as Cassandra Cowper (p. 244) when Abbie Hoffman accidentally transformed her. She became a sentient ball of energy, but Lucas (full of dreams of medical school and buying heavily into the peace and love part of the counterculture) became a healer a la Abe Sykes (kind of).

YES. That would actually be perfect for this game. Lucas' lineage is Amanda Sykes>Lyndon Baines Johnson>J. Edgar Hoover>Abbie Hoffman>Lucas Bello.

Epicurius posted:

That sounds good- like maybe flowers that change color or bloom or emit a certain scent when they detect drugs or metal. That would almost just be Useful with an If/Then I think. Another thing you might consider would be something that provides armor or a barrier. Maybe a fruit/veggie that flushes drugs from the body when consumed. Hand out flowers that change color or otherwise signal when the wearer is feeling violent and encourage people to wear them in their hair for easily identifying problems.

ibntumart posted:

Of course, historically, the organizers never completed their security measures since they had didn't have enough time and way more people than expected showed up. They wound up taking what fences they had down. So Ed's device might not make much difference if thousands of people enter from all over and there's not manpower to catch those the device detects.

Then again, historically the organizers didn't have access to superpowered geniuses and gadgeteers....

In this timeline, due to being in a different location and having a little more time, the organizers have indeed managed to put up a fence and are charging for admission with mixed success. That's actually the first issue in the scenario!

Green Bean posted:

1. "What would happen if the United States immediately and fully committed to the war in Vietnam. Full on, everything up to but not including nuclear level commitment."

America's mysterious "metahuman combatants" have already dramatically escalated the conflict, and the highly publicized destruction of the St. Louis Arch last year is only one example of superpowered Vietcong retribution within the United States. The fact that your intelligence has increased so far beyond normal human conception after being exposed to someone else's superpowers has staggering implications for the spread of superpowers among hostile combatants if the war escalates further, and worryingly, the US government does not appear to realize that powers spread in this way.

The stated American objective is to end the Vietcong insurgency and secure South Vietnam as a non-Communist state. An increased military presence would help in rooting out and overwhelming conventional forces, but would not resolve the underlying problem of lack of mass support for the South Vietnamese government, and would cast serious doubt on the increasingly dubious claim by President Johnson that the US is not "at war" as they were in Korea. Furthermore, while Vietcong metahuman attacks on the USA have so far had suspiciously few civilian casualties, American escalation would probably reduce the scruples of whoever is responsible, and attacks on civilian areas would only pour gas on the flames of escalation and quickly spiral out of control. This would certainly inflame anti-war radicals into a repeat of last year's violence at the Democratic Convention in Chicago, and if radicals acquired superpowered patrons of their own, the domestic situation could become very grave indeed.

Green Bean posted:

2. "What would happen if the United States withdrew from Vietnam?"

North Vietnam would quickly invade and conquer the South with the help of its new army of metahumans, and the United States would suffer a major loss of face to its regional anti-Communist allies such as Taiwan and South Korea. Before superpowers entered the equation, it would have been unlikely for the predicted "domino theory" of Communism spreading throughout the region to come true, but North Vietnam could now be emboldened by its victory and invade Laos and Cambodia. The United States military would have to find some other use for its "metahuman combatants"- simply retiring them so early in the game would be ridiculous. President Johnson's political fortunes dramatically improved shortly after their deployment to Vietnam, but a complete withdrawal after the revelation of these incredible new soldiers would be shocking to the American public and almost certainly see a major Democratic defeat in the 1970 elections unless LBJ had an ace up his sleeve.

This would probably spell the end of the radical anti-war movement, but violent radicals and gravely disillusioned returning soldiers alike would have to go somewhere unless some major peaceful initiative was founded to redirect them to productive ends.

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 19, 2015

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I'm looking at my build and the gadgeteering rules, and I realize I only have a base will of 9. Is this going to be a problem? It looks like I'm not actually going to be able to do much with it. Or am I reading this wrong?

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Interesting. I guess my final question before game start would be, "what would have to change before a stable status-quo in the region could be plausibly created. Peacefully or otherwise."

Also, a non-IC question, would Les be aware of LBJ's power, at least in a vague sense? It seems like since hypercharm doesn't work over television and with Les' hyperempathy, when he saw interviews or recordings of speeches he'd notice that people's reactions to him are out of proportion to what is actually being said?

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Alright, I think I will drop my artistic hyperskills to 2HD and raise my base will by 4. 2HD alone is enough to ensure a great success all on its own and I'm already at 10HD because those would mostly be mind actions anyway. I'll probably get more use out of a little extra will. It's fitting for Lazenby's base will to be a little low for a gadgeteer anyway, since he's mostly going to be making small things rather than killer robot armies and lasers to carve his name into the moon.

Regarding questions, Lazenby has arrived in town a week or so early to scope out locations, take B Roll and do some preliminary interviews. He's become aware of the building tension between the town and the concert-goers as more and more hippies begin to fill in to town, and it's got him a little nervous. What would the fallout look like if there's a major disturbance at Woodstock? Would it be better or worse if it's met with an obvious metahuman response?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Alright, let's do this thing. I'm gonna put up the game thread within 24 hours unless something goes wrong.

Epicurius posted:

I'm looking at my build and the gadgeteering rules, and I realize I only have a base will of 9. Is this going to be a problem? It looks like I'm not actually going to be able to do much with it. Or am I reading this wrong?

That's completely my mistake, I forgot the gadgeteering connection. You will probably want more base will to be effective, yeah. I would suggest dropping 2d from Flight and 1d from Control Plants to get +6 base will, which should put you in a good spot for this scenario.

Green Bean posted:

Also, a non-IC question, would Les be aware of LBJ's power, at least in a vague sense? It seems like since hypercharm doesn't work over television and with Les' hyperempathy, when he saw interviews or recordings of speeches he'd notice that people's reactions to him are out of proportion to what is actually being said?

Also an oversight on my part, haha. Les would definitely have picked up on that and may even be thinking of ways to try to counter it, because he obviously was not on track to win the '68 election before that happened. In the timeline as written Jason Weeks creates Inoculus around this time to make people more resistant to Hypercharm after exposure, Les might look into something similar. That would be a pretty solid b-plot during this adventure if you were interested.

Green Bean posted:

Interesting. I guess my final question before game start would be, "what would have to change before a stable status-quo in the region could be plausibly created. Peacefully or otherwise."

Further war and intervention in the region would have to be made an extremely unwelcoming prospect for the Western and Communist blocs alike. One possibility would be a metahuman-enforced peace, possibly even an individual or group powerful enough to defy the superpowers (in the global politics sense) turning Vietnam into their personal protectorate. North and South would have to be united to prevent future conflict, and neighboring countries would have to be prevented from going to war as superpower proxies. If any of the Vietnamese metahumans empowered by the war have developed intelligence on your level, they are undoubtedly working on this question as well, with their own biases and value judgments on a "good outcome". Most optimistically, perhaps Vietnam could act as a sort of Duchy of Grand Fenwick and develop a widely publicized and potentially world-changing invention that will only come to fruition if it is at peace. Metahuman support of the new status quo would be the deciding factor in any event, even if it were simply a refusal to back military intervention- the cat's out of the bag now.

Baby Babbeh posted:

Regarding questions, Lazenby has arrived in town a week or so early to scope out locations, take B Roll and do some preliminary interviews. He's become aware of the building tension between the town and the concert-goers as more and more hippies begin to fill in to town, and it's got him a little nervous. What would the fallout look like if there's a major disturbance at Woodstock? Would it be better or worse if it's met with an obvious metahuman response?

Absolute worst case scenario: massive civil disorder, widespread arson and looting by the concertgoers (who greatly outnumber the locals) is met by vigilante violence and the eventual calling of the National Guard- it would be very ugly and people would die, turning the concert into a national symbol for the utterly unbridgeable generation gap and certainly provoking further unrest.

Still, that's the worst case scenario. No matter what happens, the cultural forces around Woodstock are shaping up to be something that will set the tone for whatever future is coming with the emergence of metahumans. Everyone feels like this is the start of a new "Age of Aquarius", and that might just be enough to make it one. An obvious metahuman response will make a good event better or a bad event worse- see, people haven't made up their minds about metahumans yet. They're soldiers and supervillains and wild talents, but there's no clear national sense of how things are going to pan out in the next few years and beyond, what roles these people will play. If you can get out in front of this thing, it could set the tone for something good. People with powers don't have to put on masks and fight crime like the comics, but civic-minded artists and entertainers who inspire people to be the best they can be would be a decent standard to set on a national stage, and this would be the place to do it.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

So... is this still happening?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Yes: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697565

Isn't it amazing how long 24 hours is these days? Tell me if I forgot something, I just wanted to get us started.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
An idle thought - at this point, how well-known are the upper-tier hyperbrains? Jason Weeks I believe has recently published Innoculus, and obviously Nguyet Cam is running Progressive Harmony, but are they public figures or mostly just known to the well-connected?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I was looking at that earlier. I think Jason Weeks is known, he was in the group that took down Jarvis West recently in a big confrontation and he's active in patenting stuff. A hypermind would notice the guy. I don't think Cam is known outside of Vietnam right now unless you've been following the Vietcong raids on US soil really closely, she's released syntergenes on those in person. The thing about the Woodstock moment is that things are still pretty in flux and the big names haven't really stepped out yet. Amanda Sykes' identity isn't known yet, for example, and the general public hasn't realized why people are getting superpowers.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Sorry I haven't posted for Lucas yet: busy week at work + needing to finish my certification by Saturday = too exhausted to post coherently ibntumart.

Lucas will make his grand entrance after I get off work tonight, though, promise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Did Weeks help take down Jarvis West? I vaguely recall that it was a different group of metahumans, though I'm trying not to look at the timeline or bios too closely now that play has started.

• Locked thread