Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

I kind of, sort of liked Frontlines :saddowns:

You're replying to a dude who qa tested the game.

God gently caress Connor. "I sweetened the deal. I got White Phosphorous!"
"What."
"Quit being a bitch!"

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

edit: VVV Well, right now this thread is above the Final Fantasy VIII one, could take some pointers about terrible soldiery from there.

Yeah, FF8 is actually fun to play. :v:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Being a Warframe Goon, I can tell you that Digital Extremes are pretty cool guys. They have some good ideas and know how to have fun when they're not breaking their own game. Surprised they worked on this poo poo.

I still find it funny how a certain other game used white phosphorus, but it was a lot more effective and more realistic. Then it grabbed you by the collar and made you walk through the carnage you made.

EDIT: Seriously! Who thought Connor was a good idea, let alone a good character!? WHO!?

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 12, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

drkeiscool posted:

The worst part is how the WP scene in Spec Ops: The Line is supposed to be the pivotal moment of the game where you realize how far you've gone and recoil from all the terrible things you've done, but the moment just falls on its face.

No that scene is okay. The worst part is that the game gets super preachy about it afterwards. With some bonus hypocrisy to boot. "There is always a choice!" my rear end. I still admire Spec Ops for its attempt at doing something like that, even if the execution was less than stellar.
I think the scene likely works better if you're a big time FPS player, since you are basically just going through the motions up to this point. IIRC the devs even noted that there were three reactions to the scene: players who were horrified but kept playing to see what happens next, players who broke down and couldn't continue and players who just said "eh, it's a video game" and just kept going.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

drkeiscool posted:

What. Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of Conrad's ghost/hallucination ranting about how you could have just stopped?

How does it defeat the purpose? On the contrary, Conrad would have been entirely justified in calling the player out on this. If the player willingly stayed in Dubai after all that happened, then the lecture makes sense. As it stands, it feels hollow because the game never let the player make any choices while sniping at them that they willingly continued through the story. That also would have made Conrad a lot more likable because he was one of my most hated characters in that game.
And I know the devs later said "you had a choice to stop playing" but that's not an argument I can accept because they're arguing outside the scope of the game.

• Locked thread