Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

radintorov posted:

Yeah, the whole thing was and still is so stupid as to be laughable and leaves me wondering why the devs thought it was a good idea. Or why there are people in general that thought this scenario plausible.
Although a minor :spergin: nitpick: diesel-electric submarines, as long as they have a half-competent crew, are scary.

As for the game itself, I think I got it from a Steam Sale as part of a bundle deal, but I never bothered installing it, and seeing this LP I don't really regret it. :v:

I have no idea how true it is but I remember hearing rumours when this game was released hearing that they had originally planned to have the invaders be the Chinese but that was scrapped and they were replaced with North Koreans because reasons.

Frankly while the game would still be total poo poo the giant army out of nowhere would at least vaguely make sense if it was a giant Chinese army. That's almost plausible, North Korea is just a joke though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Lazyfire posted:

It's been mentioned a couple times in the thread that the original intention was indeed to have the Chinese be the invaders, but that makes even less sense than the North Koreans because the majority of Chinese goods end up in the US and the Chinese depend on us to develop technology and manufacturing techniques for them to steal. Taking over the US and turning it into a prison nation makes zero sense considering that whole situation.

Politically, economically and common-sensically there is no reason for anyone to engage in any large scale warfare between Regional Powers (or Superpowers) at present; the age of massive conventional World Wars is over and will hopefully never come back because most of the world generally decided that those things are a loving terrible idea after the second one, though to be fair the fact that we needed to do it twice first probably says something about humanity.

There is just straight up never going to be a good reason for a Regional Power to outright invade another Regional Power in the current state of affairs and barring major changes in international policy, weapons and strategy such a situation is simply not going to happen; this is the era of the proxy war where Regional Powers and our one surviving Superpower fight by using smaller and less powerful countries that have important resources or diplomatic connections and are typically somewhere in the middle east.

So given that you will never have a good reason for a massive conventional force to invade the modern USA you could at least have the invading force be a nation that could theoretically have the resources and manpower to actually launch an invasion.

And not goddamn North 'we're afraid of christmas trees' Korea.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

David D. Davidson posted:

Incidentally here's the games official timeline of events: http://homefront.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

'Kim Jong-un achieves in negotiating peace between North and South Korea, forming the foundation for the Greater Korean Republic. He also receives the Nobel Peace Prize for his accomplishment of Korean reunification'

This may in fact be the least plausible plot point ever programmed into a video game.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It's astonishing how bad Hollywood is at understanding what is and is not realistic and plausible.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I expect he probably understands 'Yourop' to be a mythical land far across the sea where strange inhuman creatures wander about in broad daylight and Nazis once reigned supreme.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Lotish posted:

I feel like this game would have been more plausible if they kept most of the set design and just said "alien invasion." If you wanted, you could keep the Koreans, but rather than going through all these bizarre contortions to explain why they have become suddenly powerful, have the cast asking the same question and then make it their mission to find out that the Koreans either stole advanced technology (a la Wolfenstein: New Order), are collaborators in an alien invasion or are in fact conquerors from a parallel dimension or something. Just go full sci fi with it.

It turns out the North Koreans accidentally summoned a Great Old One :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Flesnolk posted:

Masterkeys are often used to blow open door locks, hence the name, if I recall.

Yup, its an attachment shotgun for sticking on M16's or M4's intended to be used for door breaching.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Destructible environments is one of those things that tends to be either ignored or hilariously misused by modern game devs.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

goatface posted:

Why would they ever do anything that isn't building fifty more of the robot things? That loving thing's killed about a hundred dudes and half a unit of air-cavalry.

I don't understand why it needs manual targeting either; it clearly has the ability to automatically seek targets with its shooty gun why do the rockets need manual aiming?

Why not just build a bunch of these things and set them loose blowing up any Koreans they come across?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I just don't understand why it can automatically target enemies for its gun but not for its rockets. I can understand it maybe needing manual driving or having a remote control function but if it can automatically target enemy combatants with its gun; which it can, then why can't it do the same with rockets? :psyduck:

Who built this thing?!?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
A land war in the US would be almost as impossible as a land war in Russia and I think we all know how those have historically gone for everyone who wasn't the Mongols.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

JcDent posted:

From my time spent on /k/ Igot the impression that the rabid gun nuts spent as much time thinking how they'll fight The Man when he comes to take their guns away/make them gay/send them to FEMA deathcams as dreaming about Chicom invasion.

On State/Church holidays, weekends and February 29th they relax by fantasizing about shooting house invaders in general and marauding gangs of black people in particular.

Seriously, the survivalist camp is their wet dream.

Sometimes I wish there was a way to turn people gay just so these idiots can be afraid of something that actually exists.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Magni posted:

The 2012 Dredd movie also had a pretty horrifying depiction of it.

That movie turned out to be way better than it had any right to be.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Spec Ops was one of those games where if it worked for you the result was absolutely amazing and if it didn't then you got to sit around wondering what the hell everyone is going on about. It was basically built as a deconstruction of a specific type of FPS player and if you aren't one of those then the story simply doesn't work.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Flesnolk posted:

In an original version of the game, didn't you have the option to leave Dubai whenever you wanted and end the game right then and there? IIRC they took it out because people kept doing it ASAP.

They were originally going to give the player options to just say 'we're in too deep, pull out of this stinking mess we've gone way off mission' but testing showed that it only confused the hell of out players so they removed it.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
From memory one of the devs mentioned that the very first draft of the game allowed the player to decide right at the start that the mission was hosed and it was time to bail out (aka the correct decision and the one that a real soldier in Walker's position would take) but the vast majority of testers never even thought to just turn around and leave so most of them ended up accidentally doing so while trying to explore the area which confused them a lot.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

JcDent posted:

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

They were trying to make a deconstructive point about how there are all these modern military FPS games running around where the player is supposedly a soldier and yet acts absolutely nothing like a real soldier and instead appears to be some kind crazed psychopath on a leash. Like I said it either worked really well for you or it didn't work at all depending on how you approached the game.

If it did work for you though Spec Ops was pretty mind-blowing.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Korean war doesn't get a lot of attention in media because it didn't have a nice clean resolution and is technically ongoing even today.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

JcDent posted:

I'd say it resoluted itself pretty well, when you compare South Korea to Best Korea.

An armistice was signed, but one of the signatories was North Korea so...

The war is certainly no longer hot, but it probably wouldn't be entirely wrong to say that something like a state of Cold War exists between North and South Korea.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
You could do different perspectives; you could do some missions following a South Korean soldier, then follow a North Korean soldier, then follow an American soldier, then follow a Chinese soldier. Each one tells their short story of ~3 - 5 missions.

That would require work though so :effort:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I've got to be honest if I saw that car I would probably try and set the flag on fire.

Not because it's the American flag mind you; but because it's that rear end in a top hat's American flag.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
He wants those people to exist so he can have justifiable targets for his desire to inflict violence on others.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

JcDent posted:

I would be a lot happier playing a game where a resurgent British empire invades the US in 2030 and there are Pakistani redcoats milling around, Irish brigades taking New York, Royal Marine Commandos in power armor assaulting Guantanamo and elite Gurkha troops. Maybe a future Sharpe expy, too.

Don't forget the weaponized bagpipes of the Highland Irregulars. Note that you do not in fact need to change bagpipes to weaponize them; just playing is sufficient.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

JcDent posted:

But... but I like bagpipes :(

The English used to consider soldiers playing bagpipes to be armed with said bagpipes due to the morale boosting effect they had on friendly troops in battle. Back when the English and the Scots were all stabby over who got to rule Great Britain.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 8, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

JcDent posted:

Has there ever been a game or a movie where aliens didn't have an easily exploitable centralized control system? "The Monolith! We destroy that and this is all over" is such a God drat plot writing crutch it makes me wanna puke". One of the reasons why I don't like the Avengers movie: close the gate and the aliens just shut down on the street. No mess, no fuss, no clean up operations.

The aliens need an exploitable weakness that when used renders them entirely impotent otherwise it's completely implausible that Humans can win. To use Independence Day as an example if those ships had been intelligently built so that the shield generators were inside each ship instead of being all centrally connected to a mothership with Apple compatible code then Humanity just flat out could not have won the fight and would have just slowly been ground into dust.

It's one of those 'hey if they have technology that lets them travel between stars why on earth would be we any threat to them?' things. The answer is of course that we wouldn't and if real FTL capable aliens showed up tomorrow and invaded Earth we would lose, hard.

drkeiscool posted:

I don't think they shot down the aircraft with a rocket launcher, they did other stuff. Also, the helicopter with civvies was totally blown up. It was very tragic and heart-wrenching.

Right at the end when they're guiding in the cruise missiles the aliens try to intercept the last missile with a drone and one of the soldiers shoots the drone down with a bazooka, landing the most improbable shot in the entire movie and allowing the final cruise missile to strike the target and destroy the central control thingy before it can be carried away.

That said I love how headshots work in the game despite the fact that a significant portion of the movie is dedicated to the soldiers tearing apart an alien to figure out where its vitals are because headshots don't work and the aliens are capable of taking an entire magazine of assault rifle bullets from a few feet away and still keep going (it's suggested that the aliens are biomechanical\genetically engineered cyborgs) and they eventually figure out that you need to shoot for the upper torso, opposite side of where the heart would be on a human as that is basically their one weak point; the aforementioned water heart thing.

Sometimes I wonder if the people who make these stupid movie games even actually watch the movies they are making a game out of :v:

Neruz fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 11, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

chitoryu12 posted:

Edit: Hang on, didn't Independence Day have a line somewhere about how human computing technology was reverse-engineered from the Roswell crash ship? Because while it would be neat as an excuse for why a Macintosh interfaces with an extraterrestrial, it doesn't really mesh with what's known about computers.

They did yes; that was their thinly veiled justification for why an Apple computer could seamlessly integrate into the alien mothership and insert a virus.

That said, anyone who watches Independence Day and comes away at the end complaining about an Apple computer being able to insert a human-written virus into the alien mothership to disable it completely missed the point :v:
Independence Day is not a sci-fi movie; it is an action movie with aliens.

"What do you want us to do!?"
"DIE."

Neruz fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 11, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Evil Tim posted:

Which is kind of weird since soldiers are drilled to aim for the centre of mass rather than the head, so those aliens would only actually be a problem if the US military tried to fight them with a force comprised entirely of snipers or robots controlled via videogames.

It's been awhile since I saw it but from memory they were aiming at the wrong side of the chest; going for where the heart would be on a human; being basically cybernetic clone soldiers the aliens are incredibly resilient and can survive almost anything short of the total destruction of their water heart thing so the 'kill zone' on the aliens is basically a 2 inch square on their upper torso opposite of where the heart would be on a human. Shots elsewhere will cause damage and pain and sufficient firepower will eventually bring them down but if you want to kill them quick you pretty much have to hit that square.

Once the soldiers know where to aim they actually start performing much better against the aliens, the problem is that just shooting generally for the center of mass doesn't work very well because the heart is off center and when they tried switching to head shots (because the aliens have big, easy to shoot heads) those didn't work either.

Evil Tim posted:

I did like the scene with the tank on the highway, though, the way the aliens are moving around does a nice job of making it look like they don't know what the hell this thing is or what they're supposed to do to it, and it's kind of nice to have alien infantry acting like they're on a weird alien planet rather knowing their way around ventilation systems instinctively like usual. Same with how most of their technology isn't directly suited to fighting humans, like that doofy hoverbike-thing they have near the end.

There's actually a ton of really nice touches like that in Battle: Los Angeles. I honestly think its one of the best depictions of hostile alien invaders ever done in film, unfortunately the acting by the humans and the overall story really drags everything down but the alien designs and how they behave really sells the fact that they don't really understand half of what they're seeing here.

There are several scenes where the alien soldiers appear to be visibly confused and their tactics and weapons are clearly optimized for a completely different kind of warfare to the kind they end up fighting on Earth, the fact that the animators managed to sell all of that on faceless aliens that you almost never see from up close is really impressive and I'm kind of sad the script for the movie was so bland because if they'd paid for a decent writer I reckon it could have been a genuinely good action movie with aliens in it.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
An alien invasion is highly unlikely purely because any entity that can travel between stars doesn't need to engage in warfare for resources against us. Based on current astronomical knowledge almost every star can be assumed to have a number of planets orbiting it, almost all of which do not have aggressive intelligent life that will fight back against your resource collecting efforts.

If they can come here, then they can go to other stars with uninhabited planets that are much easier to mine for resources. The only real reasons an alien invasion would occur are if they were specifically interested in Humans or if they are using alien logic that makes zero sense to Humans.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

chitoryu12 posted:

In Independence Day the exact reason the aliens came is because they literally survive off of strip-mining planets that have necessary resources. If the planet has sentient life, they wipe it out. Their sheer power thanks to their energy weapons and impregnable shields means that they've likely been pretty successful so far, since the whole planet was barely able to do more than take out one lone fighter out of the entire planet-wide invasion force. If you had all the armies, navies, air forces, etc. of the planet band together to invade a country and they only managed to shoot down a single plane and kill two or three soldiers and that was all they managed to do, you'd consider it a pretty successful invasion. Had they not happened to accidentally provide humanity with all of their modern computing technology from a crashed scout craft, wiping it clean and preparing to break down the planet would have taken a few hours.

The thing is if they want to strip mine planets for resources there are seven other planets, a couple of dwarf planets and dozens of moons that all have useful resources on them and none of those planets have angry intelligent natives that are liable to shoot at you and generally be a nuisance. All that energy they used up running their shields and firing their weapons and flying their combat ships and building armies could instead have been used to just eat Venus, or Mars, or various other parts of the solar system.

It's not a case of they can't win easily; they manifestly can. But its even easier still to just eat uninhabited planets. If Earth had some kind of unique resource on it then there might be justification but as far as we can tell the only thing Earth has on it that is unique in the solar system is life; all the resources; minerals, water, whatever are available on other planets in our solar system in much larger quantities and without interference.

And based on the astronomical data we have on planets orbiting nearby stars this is the norm, it seems safe to assume at the moment that most stars have at least half a dozen planets orbiting them and in many cases a lot more than that with much larger planets as well. Any group that possesses the ability to travel between stars on a reasonable cost\time scale should have access to quantities of resources that make the entire contents of Earth look like peanuts in comparison.

It's just a failure of scale; sci-fi writers often have really terrible senses of scale and don't fully understand just how freaking big space is and how much energy and mass is just floating around out there doing sweet gently caress all so they end up thinking that Earth actually has enough resources on it to be worth an interstellar invasion while forgetting that possession of the technology required to launch an interstellar invasion also renders an interstellar invasion utterly pointless and a waste of time and resources because they don't fully comprehend the scale difference.

It's like a man in New York flying to Australia to pillage a termite mound for resources only even more so.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

JcDent posted:

Well, at least the Strogg are invading for our one unique resource...

Quite, if the aliens want biomass then yeah Earth is the only place around to get it that we know of.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

JcDent posted:

Not just any biomass, since you never see bovine Strogg...

It's been a long time but didn't they basically process nonhuman animals into food and Humans into cyborg soldiers? Either way the Strogg did indeed have a legit reason to invade Earth since they were apparently after Humans to cyborg and Earth is definitely the only place where you can find Humans right now.

Now whether that was a good plan or not is another matter entirely, but at least it's something.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Sticking bombs on remote control cars to drive them under tanks and detonate is actually quite clever.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah the dogs failed miserably, fortunately RC cars lack a survival instinct so they tended to work better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Which is interesting because I'm pretty sure the biggest conventional bomb the USA has is a fuel air bomb that blows up so big that it gets picked up by satellites in space as a nuclear detonation.

That thing would flatten the Golden Gate Bridge, literally flatten it.

• Locked thread