Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The human race deserves to be wiped out because stupid poo poo like "two pageant contestants from the wrong countries are smiling in a picture together" is a loving issue.

e: and then there is Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
See, this is how Jon should always have countered these idiotic republican talking points.

"No." "Nah." "Nope."

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Stewart :iceburn:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Huckabee is completely flat footed on this. After all these years.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
Ugh, Huckabee. Why do you keep inviting terrible human beings on your show, Jon?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Jesus gently caress he got so fat.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This man will be devoured whole on the campaign trail.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

TLG James posted:

Jesus gently caress he got so fat.

He was only not a fat piece of poo poo for a little while, and returned to being a fat piece of poo poo after everyone stopped taking him seriously as a presidential candidate.

It sure is fun watching his fat rear end die on camera here though.

e: "I read it. It ain't Shakespeare." :drat:

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 20, 2015

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

I wonder how that dumbass hypothetical with the "two good ol' boys in a pickup truck" would've been responded to by the host of the next show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Von Sloneker posted:

I wonder how that dumbass hypothetical with the "two good ol' boys in a pickup truck" would've been responded to by the host of the next show.

Haha, as if any Republicans will be brave enough to go on that show.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Holy poo poo, that moment of zen. :psyduck:

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Did he forget about Chocolate News?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rhonne posted:

:stare:

... :stare:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
A final word of advice from Dave Chappelle on this show would cement it for me.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Is he going to have a panel section on this show? His table looks like it's set up for it.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.

raditts posted:

Is he going to have a panel section on this show? His table looks like it's set up for it.

That's what the description for the episode says, so I'm thinking yes.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

TLG James posted:

Did he forget about Chocolate News?

David Alan Grier has forgotten about Chocolate News.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
God I loving hate Huckabee. "The bubble people, those who live in the bubble lands of NY, Washington, and Hollywood"

You LIVE in NYC, Huckabee. You want to work in Washington. Get the gently caress out.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

Booker/Kweli 2016

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ughhhh, didn't realize this show would be "group chatting at a table."
Not really a fan of this format.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

This format only works when you have Cornel West and a supremely drunk Michael Ware.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING
I can't imagine a world where this show lasts more than a year, the panel discussion format is a horrible idea and has been painfully unfunny. Not in a "jokes aren't landing" way, in a "these people think they are on MSNBC" way.

It'd be a fine show there, but it doesn't make sense on this network in this timeslot.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Von Sloneker posted:

Bubba may know how to replace a spark plug in his garage, but I think I know who I'd rather have help me negotiate a trade agreement with the EU or any of the million other things we need government to do.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Maybe the format is a 1 time thing? I got a hard time believing they can get this many people to show up 4 times a week

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

berserker posted:

God I loving hate Huckabee. "The bubble people, those who live in the bubble lands of NY, Washington, and Hollywood"

You LIVE in NYC, Huckabee. You want to work in Washington. Get the gently caress out.

It's the classic Republican tactic of pretending they are all "Washington outsiders" who are all salt-of-the-earth even though most of them are millionaires that have been in office for half a century, and assuming their voting base is retarded enough to buy it.

JazzFlight posted:

Ughhhh, didn't realize this show would be "group chatting at a table."
Not really a fan of this format.

I'd prefer this to an interview segment, but two segments of this? Ehhhh...

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

Winkie01 posted:

Maybe the format is a 1 time thing? I got a hard time believing they can get this many people to show up 4 times a week

I kind of hope so - that last segment was actually kind of funny, and I'd like to see more like that. The middle part was horrible.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Winkie01 posted:

Why? There are like 20 different panel-format news shows on the various news channels every day. Why can't it work? I remember when Colbert Report started and people were saying "there's no way he's going to be able to keep up the faux-Bill O'Reilly schtick for long!"

Personally I think this first episode was pretty good/funny, and what will hold it up will be the quality of the writing, not the chosen format to parody.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

amaranthine posted:

I kind of hope so - that last segment was actually kind of funny, and I'd like to see more like that. The middle part was horrible.

I thought the middle part was okay, but the last part fell flat for me.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

This isn't a parody show. It's just Politically Incorrect. Which is fine, but every discussion feels truncated and will always seem poorly edited.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Steve Vader posted:

This isn't a parody show. It's just Politically Incorrect. Which is fine, but every discussion feels truncated and will always seem poorly edited.

Wilmore doesn't have the advantage of having a pre-crafted "character" like Colbert did, so I think he might need some time for the show to find a groove. Hopefully the show manages to hang in there until that happens, but it's not as though they have anything better to replace it either way.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Steve Vader posted:

I don't like when the guests all have to one-up each other and try to be both funny and intelligent-sounding at the same time. Shows like Tough Crowd annoyed me because sometimes the comedians would just spout off edgy comedy off the top of their head even if what they were saying was horrible garbage.

I guess I just expected the "scripted conversations with correspondents" style of The Daily Show.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
I liked it. I don't mind the panel format, though maybe not for 2/3 of the show. With the right mix of comedians and more serious guests it has the potential to be interesting and funny. Keep it 100 was interesting too but I'd be worried about it scaring away some guests.

But hey it's the first show and I doubt every show will be all panel discussion.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Afro posted:

I liked it. I don't mind the panel format, though maybe not for 2/3 of the show

You mean 3/5ths

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Conservatives constantly deriding intelligence and education never ceases to infuriate me. What a fucker.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Haven't been able to view the episodes yet, though based on comments, I'm gonna ask: The States wouldn't happen to have any kjnd of equivalent to Have I Got News For You or Mock the Week, would it? Because panel formats for satire actually have a set precedent over here.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Rhonne posted:

There's just so much there to unpack.

EDIT: So The Nightly Show isn't going to be uploaded to Hulu? That kind of sucks.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 20, 2015

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I just watched The Nightly Show on Hulu. So it's there.

I'll see how the show goes. I could do with or without the panel format. I'd like to see a panel of comedians address Cosby and actually talk about whatever unofficial rules exist for going after other comedians.

I know it's far from the biggest race issue out there, but I want to see Larry Wilmore go after the Oscars and Hollywood more for their poo poo too.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I liked it. I'll give it a fair shot. Having the graphic in the lower corner was a little distracting though, since it caused my eyes to focus on his hands, and how they barely moved.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The middle panel section was the only part of that I didn't like. It seemed like it was being played pretty much straight, but in such a short format it's even worse than usual because there isn't time for people to really talk. Both versions of the Keep it 100 thing were funny though. Hopefully they can figure out a better balance in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Keep It 100 is the sort of thing I'd expect to be quietly dropped in a few weeks like the Daily Show Seat of Heat.

• Locked thread