Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

Madkal posted:

I work in a college and this year we were given a brief seminar/workshop on what to do if there was an active shooter situation and it all seemed pretty bleak. Pretty much what the guy told us was that if we were outdoors when it is announced that there is an active shooter situation we must run away from the college as soon as possible and under no circumstances enter any building. If we are indoors during such a situation we must find a room and lock/barricade it as soon as possible. The room must remained locked and barricaded until emergency crews arrive and deliver an all clear. All this sounds logical and rational and such, but the downer part of it was that once you are in the room you must not open it up for anyone, even co-workers. It goes under the assumption that the shooter might pose as someone trying to hide to gain entry to a locked room. Again, all very practical but the idea that people are outside running for the lives trying to get into locked rooms where there might be just one person holed up in seems terrifying to me.

Oh yeah. No chance I would refuse to let someone in. Not saying this to sound high and mighty or to flatter myself. When I read about heroic people charging shooters and sacrificing themselves for others, I always think: I am not selfless enough to do that. But in the situation you described, I don't see how a person could possibly refuse entry to another.

Not saying it's right or wrong, just looking at it from a (my) realistic perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
The guy giving the workshop tried to explain it to us as much as possible, probably seeing how freaked out we were about it, that what he was describing was the best way to survive the situation. He said that he knows it sounds hosed up to lock the door and and not let anyone in, but if you are looking to survive that is the best way to do it. He admitted that it was pretty much every man for himself.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pillow Hat posted:

Oh yeah. No chance I would refuse to let someone in. Not saying this to sound high and mighty or to flatter myself. When I read about heroic people charging shooters and sacrificing themselves for others, I always think: I am not selfless enough to do that. But in the situation you described, I don't see how a person could possibly refuse entry to another.

Not saying it's right or wrong, just looking at it from a (my) realistic perspective.

Well, you have to think of it in terms of whether your good intentions will lead to the deaths of yourself and everyone else in the room.

I've never been in such a situation but I have to imagine that poo poo changes real quick when a person who wants to murder you for no particular reason gets thrown in the mix.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

raditts posted:

Well, you have to think of it in terms of whether your good intentions will lead to the deaths of yourself and everyone else in the room.

I've never been in such a situation but I have to imagine that poo poo changes real quick when a person who wants to murder you for no particular reason gets thrown in the mix.

No doubt. Definitely something to plan for. I think my point is exactly what you said, though. I cannot really predict how I would react in that situation.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Madkal posted:

The guy giving the workshop tried to explain it to us as much as possible, probably seeing how freaked out we were about it, that what he was describing was the best way to survive the situation. He said that he knows it sounds hosed up to lock the door and and not let anyone in, but if you are looking to survive that is the best way to do it. He admitted that it was pretty much every man for himself.

It's the same idea as silencing your phone, turning out the lights, and locking the door. The whole point is to look as much as possible as if no one is in there so their rear end in a top hat desire to kill more people keeps them trucking once they meet the minimal resistance of a closed door. Letting people in makes the hiding place more noticeable as there's no way for you to know they aren't literally running from the shooter who is now watching the targets in the field of view increase, or that the sound of the door opening and closing hasn't now caught their attention.

Active shooter drills are really hosed up poo poo. The hardest for me is just leaving people as you evacuate. It's way easier for me to rationalize turtleing up in a hidey hole than not making sure everyone along my exit route is also getting the gently caress out of there.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

coyo7e posted:

but the last time I heard "Worldstar" mentioned anywhere outside of my teenage nephews' facebook video posts, was some hick on a podcast using worldstar hiphop as an example of why we need armed police in schools.

Best of the Left? That guy Wade is a trip but I like how the host always plays his calls, it's a nice little balance after an hour and fifteen minutes of The Young Turks pretending to be angry. But anyway the next week the first call in comment was about how WSH is just a dogwhistle that gets used to conveniently validate every "not racist just realist" reddit rear end in a top hat's opinion.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gyges posted:

It's the same idea as silencing your phone, turning out the lights, and locking the door. The whole point is to look as much as possible as if no one is in there so their rear end in a top hat desire to kill more people keeps them trucking once they meet the minimal resistance of a closed door. Letting people in makes the hiding place more noticeable as there's no way for you to know they aren't literally running from the shooter who is now watching the targets in the field of view increase, or that the sound of the door opening and closing hasn't now caught their attention.

Active shooter drills are really hosed up poo poo. The hardest for me is just leaving people as you evacuate. It's way easier for me to rationalize turtleing up in a hidey hole than not making sure everyone along my exit route is also getting the gently caress out of there.

Yea, turning off lights and cell phones were mentioned too. Also not standing anywhere near a window or door, not making any phone calls until the all clear (good luck with that one at a college though). The worst feeling when we did the workshop was (for at least myself) wondering if a situation like that ever happened and if I would have to be the one leaving my co-workers locked outside or vice versa.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I would probably perform and execute some flips and kicks that both incapacitate the threat(s) and remove me from the premises as quickly as possible.
It would look really cool.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

MariusLecter posted:

Watching Klepper's segment again.

Yeah.
The first thought in my mind during his dick-towel scenario was some aside I heard from the big paris hostage situation recently, where they talked about how they had hostages in a hallway and they couldn't move toward them or something because they couldn't tell if there was a shooter hiding amon or behind them. Then I thought of how effective it would be to let someone run down a hallway toward the authorities, and then lean out behind them and just sweep the hallway clear while focus was away. It really chilled me to any thoughts of "well ya know what I would do," :clint:

Madkal posted:

Yeah this is super hosed, but also on the money because in an active shooter situation, unless you literally have laid eyes on the attacker, it could be your roommate or classmate or coworker WITH the gun, calling through the door to be let in.

Kings Of Calabria posted:

Best of the Left? That guy Wade is a trip but I like how the host always plays his calls, it's a nice little balance after an hour and fifteen minutes of The Young Turks pretending to be angry. But anyway the next week the first call in comment was about how WSH is just a dogwhistle that gets used to conveniently validate every "not racist just realist" reddit rear end in a top hat's opinion.
Word. I like the podcast although the call-in gets skippable on and off. It's interesting that he's got this one trucker who's really interested in learning about other perspectives while still quickly and easily falling back on stuff like dogwhistles and fallacious arguments and false equivalencies, and then seeing when/if he takes it to heart or gets upset. It's also a good way to find other podcasts, although lee camp and tyt get pretty insufferable after a short while.

But it also feels like the poor podcaster only has like 3 callers and he's just desperate for more content :laugh:

But worldstar is a huge dogwhistle imho, because I've literally never been to the site but I "know" that it features pictures of black toddlers being sent into fights against each other while their parents egg them on, also probably bumfights and people lighting themselves on fire or some poo poo but the only thing I can remember is they had baby fights.

Does anyone remember the Faces of Death series of videos? That was the Worldstar equivalent for when I was like pre-teen and teen.. Was it racist or anything? I never watched one so I don't even know what the bodies looked like but now I'm curious if it happend to be like "look at all these terrible black dead people who died for bad reasons", or if it was just equal opportunity foul.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 15, 2015

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Are there any decent political podcasts out there that aren't just audio-versions of news outlets? Slate's political gabfest is awesome, but only once a week.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

Are there any decent political podcasts out there that aren't just audio-versions of news outlets? Slate's political gabfest is awesome, but only once a week.

This is Hell (long, interesting interviews [though annoyingly many are by phone]),
The Axe Files (David Axelrod doing p good interviews w some heavy-hitters),
Backstory (3 academic guys who focus on different eras discuss past events that lead to present political situations),
Decode DC (similar to gabfest),
On the Media always ends up discussing political journalism.

There's more but those are a p good start, though like all podcasts they can sometimes seem a little unpolished (except the NPR ones).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

coyo7e posted:

But worldstar is a huge dogwhistle imho, because I've literally never been to the site but I "know" that it features pictures of black toddlers being sent into fights against each other while their parents egg them on, also probably bumfights and people lighting themselves on fire or some poo poo but the only thing I can remember is they had baby fights.

I think that's the general image of the site, yeah. Dude didn't seem to be terribly interested in changing that image, he seemed pretty proud of building a reputation off candid videos of people beating the poo poo out of each other. Which I think is pretty gross, but to each his own I guess.

coyo7e posted:

Does anyone remember the Faces of Death series of videos? That was the Worldstar equivalent for when I was like pre-teen and teen.. Was it racist or anything? I never watched one so I don't even know what the bodies looked like but now I'm curious if it happend to be like "look at all these terrible black dead people who died for bad reasons", or if it was just equal opportunity foul.

Faces of Death was a simpler time when we weren't so fascinated with the races of the people we were watching die, just the fact that they were dying on camera.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 15, 2015

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
People like Ted Cruz make we wish there was some kind of libel law regarding scientific data.

Though that does remind me - exactly how much of a challenge has ratifying the agreement got in the houses of Congress?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Narcissus1916 posted:

You can also try The Todd Glass Show. It's a comedy podcast but he does end up talking a lot about political correctness and some politics stuff as it pertains to comedy.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I know Bill Nye debated that creationist; so sometimes I wish Bill Nye or NDT would directly challenge politicians to a debate on climate science.

But then I wonder if I really want to see those two guys get dragged out of their "science is awesome!" bubble and into the nasty world of mainstream politics. I don't doubt for a second that the right wing media would be willing to do everything to discredit them.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 15, 2015

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Echo Chamber posted:

I know Bill Nye debated that creationist; so sometimes I wish Bill Nye or NDT directly challeng politicians to a debate on climate science.

But then I wonder if I really want to see those two guys get dragged out of their "science is awesome!" bubble and into the nasty world of mainstream politics. I don't doubt for a second that the right wing media would be willing to do everything to discredit them.

I don't understand why Nye debated Ken Ham tbh. I think debating someone like Cruz would be much more fruitful.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Echo Chamber posted:

I know Bill Nye debated that creationist; so sometimes I wish Bill Nye or NDT directly challeng politicians to a debate on climate science.

You say that as though it hasn't already happened before.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

raditts posted:

You say that as though it hasn't already happened before.
I haven't encountered any right wing anti-NDT facebook memes with JPEG artifacts yet.

I've seen more venom thrown at Nye from the anti-GMO/anti-vaxxer crowd than right-wingers. But maybe it's the internet/media bubble I live in.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Hmm, Monday's show seemed to be super caffeinated or something. The segment with all four correspondents hollering over each other followed by holy poo poo is this guy animated and rapid-firing back and forth with trevor during the interview. I'm not quite sure what happened but i don't remember anything about the show except war on christmas and get people drunk on your late night show.

Kings Of Calabria posted:

This is Hell (long, interesting interviews [though annoyingly many are by phone]),
The Axe Files (David Axelrod doing p good interviews w some heavy-hitters),
Backstory (3 academic guys who focus on different eras discuss past events that lead to present political situations),
Decode DC (similar to gabfest),
On the Media always ends up discussing political journalism.

There's more but those are a p good start, though like all podcasts they can sometimes seem a little unpolished (except the NPR ones).
I really like Backstory a lot, I'd say it's more of a historical than political podcast though.

Radio Dispatch is a pretty alright regular show, which features a lot of interesting interviews and discussions on recent/current events.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

coyo7e posted:

Hmm, Monday's show seemed to be super caffeinated or something. The segment with all four correspondents hollering over each other followed by holy poo poo is this guy animated and rapid-firing back and forth with trevor during the interview. I'm not quite sure what happened but i don't remember anything about the show except war on christmas and get people drunk on your late night show.

100% agreed. In fact, even reading your comment, it still took me a minute to remember what the second segment was.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Pillow Hat posted:

100% agreed. In fact, even reading your comment, it still took me a minute to remember what the second segment was.
It was weird, it really was so cacophonous that I sat back and was like "poo poo, was there even a moment of zen? what the gently caress happened? I ought to check out Trevor's teeth"

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Man I thought that second segment was aces.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Guy in the back REALLY liked the Jew registry.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Trump supporters are fascist pricks, racist shitheads, and the biggest goddamn idiots on the face of the planet. I'm just calling it like I see it, sorry that I'm not sorry that it offends your delicate politically correct sensibilities. Go cry in your safe space if that offends you.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The trump supporters made me cringe a bit.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I can't wait for Trump v Clinton: Politicsmania 2016 - We're All hosed. It's going to be the best pay-per-view ever.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

trump vs biden would've been better

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Dr Christmas posted:

Trump supporters are fascist pricks, racist shitheads, and the biggest goddamn idiots on the face of the planet. I'm just calling it like I see it, sorry that I'm not sorry that it offends your delicate politically correct sensibilities. Go cry in your safe space if that offends you.

The worst part of that whole thing is you KNOW it wasn't edited to make them look that way. That is just awful.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Zero One posted:

Guy in the back REALLY liked the Jew registry.

That one confuses me, is hating jews a big thing again or are they trying to play off the muslim registry as no big deal like let's register jews too what's the problem?

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

IRQ posted:

That one confuses me, is hating jews a big thing again or are they trying to play off the muslim registry as no big deal like let's register jews too what's the problem?

drawing a comparison between modern practices and convictions with those of one of the worst genocides in history turns out to be a pretty effective argumentative strategy

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

Hatin' the Jews is a perennial bigo-tree, it never really went away. It's not that surprising that you would get a noticeable concentration of anti-semites when you're pulling a sample of Trump supporters.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

IRQ posted:

You've got to have some embers glowing so your back up bonfire of hate is ready to go on the off chance the socialist demon Woman actually loses to the communist daemon Jew.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Well saying you would want a registry for one minority and not another makes you a hypocrite so at least that go was being honest about his bigotry, and we appreciate that. Maybe he should run for president.

The whole who said it: Trump or a racist sandwich was hilarious. Klepper is becoming my fave correspondent just for the sheer amount of balls on him.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

The show is firing on all cylinders. Klepper's bit was genius, I also liked the one-act play with Hasan and Roy Wood, Jr. Honestly, it's so hard for me to pick a favorite correspondent right now. Klepper, Minhaj, J Willy, and Roy Wood, Jr. are all killing it in my opinion. There have been so many excellent shows lately, I'm so excited things are going this well with Trevor at the helm. I did not expect this much this soon.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I am enjoying the fruit ninja bit too much.

Cool Cherry Cream
Jun 15, 2013

Dr Christmas posted:

It's not that I agree with you, it's just that I hope Klepper does more of these segments. Instead of interviewing them; however, maybe just lock them in a room and go home? Is that bad?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

...I realise a lot of people, both in office and out, don't really understand how global politics work... but jesus. It says something when one of the more sane remarks is utterly wrong on who they'd be speaking to. I'm morbidly curious as to what would happen, and how fast poo poo would fall apart globally, if one of them did get in.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/18/business/shkreli-fraud-charges.html?smtyp=cur

Can't wait for tonight.

And I hope they point out that Shrekli was loving with the Wutang and the next day he's in the poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opbUESNnCe0

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The Onion has competition.

Lawyer for Martin Shkreli Hikes Fees Five Thousand Per Cent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/17/politics/russia-putin-trump/

Tonight could be a really fun night.

• Locked thread