Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Acquilae posted:

I love how this is totally not the response that the NYPD expected from their pouty little strike.

Not enforcing parking violations or traffic laws will do wonders for their public image, just not for the reasons they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Winkie01 posted:

It truly is amazing to watch these people talk and how out of touch with reality they are out side of the country club.

For instance when they get my order wrong I think to my self for 8 bucks a hour I wouldn't give a poo poo either and would just throw random poo poo in the bag.

For 7.25 an hour I just hope they didn't rub their dick on my burger.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I liked it fine overall, but my early thoughts are that "keep it 100" is a real waste of time to do with the panel every night, but if it becomes like the moment of zen that could totally work.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The panel thing is growing on me, while keep it 100 is going in the opposite direction. It's not a terrible bit exactly, but having it be both the third act and the closing segment every single day is not going to work.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

A black person writing for The Blaze... so we're just gonna glaze right over that one, huh.

"I do not believe in equal pay for women" - a black woman

Let me guess, she's already rich as gently caress?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

JT Jag posted:

How hard is the dick-punch? Is Obama angry at me?

Does Castro have his Weekend at Bernie's team or is he just strapped to a hand truck under a showerhead?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Are you an Irish Joe parachute account?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

I'm trying to figure that out myself, that entire episode felt like a waste of everyone's time.
I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I think I was expecting him to at least not be terrified of saying something the vets on the panel might not agree with.

After the anti-vax episode I'm wondering if this is just going to be his MO. Have someone with bad opinions in the front left seat and refuse to call them out.

I get that his is a new show and that eviscerating the opposing opinion could make it hard to get them on the show but come on. The big fluffy kid gloves he's handling them with only get even more starkly apparent when keepin' it 100 is blatantly not keeping it 100 with bullshit softball questions to the one panelist.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I don't see the problem, at least someone saying they voted for Obama because he's a republican are being both honest with themselves and with what Obama really is. Just because the Koch brothers don't agree, he still has corporate Kochcock lodged deeply down his throat. "Obamacare" is a corporate welfare loveletter identical to the 90s republican plan for gently caress's sake and is supposed to be his legacy.

spronk posted:

This "keep it 100" stuff just feels so forced and dumb, especially the last episode where it was involved in pretty much everything he talked about the whole episode. Is this some new college thing or is he honestly trying to make this a new thing?

I'll probably stop watching too, the episodes are just not that good so far. The obesity episode on monday sounds interesting though, I'll watch that. They definitely need to retool some things, hope they realize that and do it.

As I said very early on, and it's still early on, the keep it 100 poo poo is terrible as a nightly thing, and could maybe work as a The Word type thing, but TNS keeps doubling down on it. I really hope someone steps in and talks some sense, because I'm very close to turning off TNS after the panel like I do/did with TDS and Colbert for the interview most of the time.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

reignofevil posted:

I'm starting to come around to thinking the panels need more time.

Maybe three days a week they could change it to a proto-daily show style opening bit like we got tonight for our first segment; and then an issues discussion with someone of interest to Larry about the topic; then for Thursday we could have a full episode of four person panel.

Or scrap keep it 100, which continues to be a total waste of time.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

which makes you wonder if Larry brings them on simply so they'll get national exposure and something to put on their resumes.

That's pretty clearly what it is.

They dob't add anything to the show either, usually just bad one-liners in the panel.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I Am A Robot posted:

He's not just anti-vaxxer either. He's pro-alternative medicine in general.

Also a PETA board member and an anti-GMO nutbar who just weeks ago tried to get an actual doctor to admit the flu shot is bullshit because this year it was only 70% effective. The flu shot is based on what the medical community thinks will be the major strains that year, Maher knew this and continually tried to make it sound like the shot is based on voodoo or the president of science throwing darts at a board..

Bill Maher is an idiot. His show can be decent when he's on topics I agree with him about.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

He also laughs at his own jokes. Like every single one.

Roughly 40% of which are HEY GUYS GUESS WHO LIKES WEED!?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

achillesforever6 posted:

Oh boy Penn Jillette is going to be the next guest on The Nightly Show, I hope he just does magic while the panelists talk. I don't want to be reminded how I became a Libertarian because of Bullshit and a community college Philosophy class :smith:

I'm at a total loss as to how Penn Jillette is relevant to a "designer babies" discussion other than he should never be allowed to name a baby. But then again a "designer babies" discussion is completely on rails anyway so whatever. Cue the Gattica references and the vague disease gene points.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Had to happen eventually. Maybe Rosewater was his career move, it was only just ok, but whatever.

No idea how CC can replace him though, and Jason Jones/Sam Bee are practically the 2008 John McCain of it just being Their Turn to take the helm, so I fully expect it to be them doing it Weekend Update style or something. Which I have mixed feelings about. And I'm still not sold on The Nightly Show's format (the black fatherhood episode is how you should do them all).

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

They'll probably try and fail to replace him. The show will become a shambling ghoul of its former self, like The Price is Right.

In all fairness the price is right is only entertaining if your age begins with an 8.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

When Stewart first started, people were wondering who this motherfucker from MTV blew to get the gig. It'll be interesting to see who gets picked.

Yep. I remember thinking that nobody could possibly be as good as Craig Killborn and who the gently caress is this Jon Stewart guy?

Then again, 16 years of Stewbeef is a lot more to live up to than 2 years of what in retrospect was kind of just ok. But I'm willing to give whoever a chance, as long as it's not Hardwick.

In other news, we're old.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Craptacular! posted:

Run a spike through the heart of Weekend Update while it's paralyzed: The Daily Show with Norm McDonald.

It'll never happen, but I would love this.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bass Bottles posted:

I thought SE Cupp actually had the best answer to the anti-vaxxer question out of anyone. Shame and ostracize people who don't get vaccines.

Seriously, making me feel anything positive towards SE Cupp outside of a boner is pissing me off.

The Nightly Show was something I really tried to give a chance to, but between the continued unwillingness to call bullshit for what it is, the continued total waste of time that is keeping it 100, the panels filled with idiots and lovely comedians Willmore is trying to give a break to, this is just turning out to be bad. I was thinking I'd ditch it for Late Night with Colbert when that comes on, but after this week I'm pretty sure.

Maybe I should DVR Jimmy Kimmel for lunch viewing after TDS instead of TNS. I feel like I've given this show a fair shot.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 13, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

CSM posted:

I've only watched the first Wilmore episode, is the rest just as bad?

Nothing changes about the format, no. Some episodes were ok, but the fundamental problems the show has (keep it 100, southpark style "truth is in the middle" and Larry giving airtime to his "comedian" buddies panel casting, milquetoast toothless hosting) have thus far not been addressed at all. Based on the appearance of an EP on the last episode, it doesn't look like they realize that things aren't working.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea it's best when the topic is an actual discussion, and it sucks that the only way that happens is if it's something like black fatherhood when there literally isn't an 'other side' to represent unless he's gonna get just like the worst dude ever to be all 'yea gently caress those kids'.

I actually thought that episode was very lacking in not having a black mother to give some perspective.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

"durr it sure is cold so much for global warming lol!" is a level of loving stupidity and ignorance exceeded only by anti-vaxxers.

This despite it being like the two consecutive coldest winters in DC ever or something close. lol global warming more like global cooling... oh wait, that's what climate change actually is. Look forward to more of that retarded poo poo when DC is snowed in Thursday.

The ice is so bad here I'm running out of kitty litter to throw on it, and I have a cat. Actual salt is sold out everywhere.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 4, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

old dog child posted:

The Daily Show with Chris Hardwick followed by The Hardwick Report and then @Midnight with Chris Hardwick

who's ready?

You joke but it seems more and more likely as time goes by.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

jojoinnit posted:

Why is it still called a fake news show anyway? It's been more about a different look at the real news for most of its existence at this point.

It's not a [fake news] show, it's a fake [news show].

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mr. Fowl posted:

What the hell was that guy from Shark Tank wearing?

Did he go straight from the skate park to the Nightly Show?

I saw that thing on Shark Tank, I forget exactly what it is but I think it's like a weight shirt or something.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hopkins FBI posted:

I think it's funny how whenever there's a late night talk show job opening, everyone clamors for a minority to get it, then once a black guy gets a show everyone shits all over him. :shrug:

It's almost as if we're judging him by the content of his comedy.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

To his credit, keeping it 100 seems to be largely being left out lately. It doesn't help with the not very good writing and the laughing at his own jokes parts though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Speaking of which, why did he quit answering questions at the end of the episode? He still says that people should post on Twitter or whatever, but what's the point in that if all you're going to get is other dipshits on Twitter reading your dumb comments.

I think they're ostensibly going to be questions for the next panel. How true that is is open to interpretation. Either way, I give him credit for seemingly reconsidering keep it 100, although I still don't think the show works very well overall, but it's better.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

And he laughs at ALL of his own jokes. That poo poo is so bad.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Echo Chamber posted:

Barney Frank was pretty good on the panel. He also seemed very annoyed at the panel format.

I don't want to defend Nightly's problems too much, but Colbert has entrenched the feeling that I want a little bit more after The Daily Show, and Nightly still does exactly that, without feeling like a network Late Night show. The problem is it doesn't do too much more. (And I'm not worrying about Stewart leaving TDS yet.)

I'll repeat that if they want to do a panel, it should probably just be the full episode and maybe only once a week; with the rest of week having a format closer to Stewart and Colbert. It won't solve Larry's lacking presence and bite; but it'd still be a "good enough" program for "a little more" after TDS. Without Stewart, I'll be even less likely to watch Nightly, even if the show improves a bit. I'm not sure if Nightly will even last until Stewart's run on TDS ends.

Barney was straight up saying "I thought I was here to sell my book."

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Echo Chamber posted:

If I wanted to see comedians being buds and just hanging out with each other and making first draft jokes that aren't sharp or funny, I'd watch an Adam Sandler movie.

Okay, I want four mimes.

Larry even called himself out on laughing at his own jokes on Monday. That somehow made me even madder. I wish Colbert would hurry up and come back on the air.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The Prosperity Gospel is a good topic. It's such a weird and lovely thing, and more people need to know about it.

And Larry did nothing to further that. As usual.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

White people sure love grasping at anything that might help them ignore any challenge to their worldview, don't they.

Never mind that nobody is going to ever know exactly what happened and that there are utter shitloads of very explicit examples of unarmed black people being killed by the police (which these same people conveniently pretend never happened when they realize there is no room for argument)

Not all white people are Fox News viewers. Although all Fox News viewers are probably white people.

Not that you're not right about a ton of people.

raditts posted:

Michelle Rodriguez is a unique superhero and her superpower is sucking and dying in every movie she stars in.

...and really, the only thing that keeps her from totally ripping off Sean Bean's superpower is that she sucks, so maybe she should take her own advice.

Michelle Rodriguez's superpower is her adamantium liver. She got killed off on Lost because she kept getting DUIs in Hawaii, judging from that clip, nothing's changed.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 21, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

SyRauk posted:

I just gotta laugh at all the people who are making a big deal about this Starbucks thing. They fell hook, line and sinker for this marketing ploy by talking about it which is exactly what the PR agency who Starbucks hired wanted.

No this actually is something the guy running Starbucks would do.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

To be fair, Larry actually showed some backbone against her dumb poo poo this time, and somehow Lewis Black would up being the most intelligent and well-spoken person at the table.
I'm really only watching anymore because I haven't trained myself to go to sleep before midnight again yet.

I keep watching out of habit, and because TDS/Colbert used to be my go to "watch this during lunch break" thing but god Larry's writing and delivery is loving painful, the panels are usually terrible, and whoever decided party games needed to be the third act was terribly misguided, even post-keep it 100 every episode. When Stewbeef leaves CC is going to be in pretty dire straits unless the new guy/gal hits it out of the park.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Wasn't this guy on that Ramsay show. Hotel Hell? It looks like all the renovations are still in place.

:lol: that deer is high as poo poo!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.

I want that guy's life. Just chill in your own hotel with your dog and your deer and your weed.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gyges posted:

Trevor Noah has, or at least had a couple weeks ago, a documentary up on Netflix about him putting together South Africa's first Comedy One Man Show. It was pretty good and goes into his first appearances on the Daily Show. The only issue with him taking over the Daily Show is he'd have to move to the US full time, which he seemed somewhat reluctant to do.

A more outside perspective Daily Show could be pretty interesting.

What was that called?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Well I doubt Noah will be making fun of jews and Jersey as often as Jon.

But Arby's is still fair game. :unsmith:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

kayakyakr posted:

I'm worried Larry's not going to make it the year. His ratings are really, really bad.

Well his show is really, really bad so that tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Someone said earlier in the thread that the Nightly Show and Larry as a host are perfectly encapsulated in that clip of Larry playing air guitar in a bathroom in the opening sequence.

Why is it there? What's it supposed to mean? It isn't funny, but Larry sure seems to think it is.

• Locked thread