Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Quasimango posted:

On the other hand, I feel like an un-PC comic may be the best choice to take over the Daily Show, given the typical Daily Show viewer.

I feel like this phrasing makes way more sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Y-Hat posted:

I've hardly seen Irish Joe post but even I know his opinions aren't worth the bandwidth his posts occupy

Even for him, that's pretty bad. I'd watch Hannibal host the Daily Show.

Anyone follow TYT here? Their host had a bizarre meltdown because Noah used to do radio. I couldn't make sense of it, but I really love his standup. I'm very excited for TDS in a way I don't think I've ever been.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Four years is long enough he could be an atheist himself now. Calm your tits.

His "without god there would be no atheists" is pretty bad, on the level of "how me a dog learn English," but the religious haven't understanded atheism for THOUSANDS of years.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Strobe posted:

And I suppose it's totally impossible that he meant "God created athiests" which considering he's Christian is something that he earnestly believed?

It's very funny next to his musings on Satan, when as an atheist, if you've realized the bible is fiction and heaven is mythical, Satan and hell just naturally follow suit. No mental activity or considering needed.

in_cahoots posted:

I read it as more of a philosophical statement - without the concept of God there would be no atheism, any more than people flock around the absence of a second sun or whatever. But either way, it's not exactly worth boycotting the show over.

That is an interesting read, but doesn't really add depth to his comment.

Without (a tyrannical religious structure sculpting societies for ages) there is no (lame attempt to counter religious claims, "militant atheism" indeed)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Bass Bottles posted:

I feel like he was just making a dumb joke with that one.

I feel like he was only making dumb jokes the entire time and this entire conversation (nationally, not here) is pointless.

But any chance to preach the word of no lord!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

kayakyakr posted:

Alright, sorry about contributing to that derail, back to your regularly scheduled Larry Wilmore hating.

I was actually considering going back and checking out the latest episodes that saw good reactions here. He's no Colbert, but if his show resembles Real Time without the smug or constant shouting it could be great.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

spronk posted:

I'm generally a pro-death penalty guy

Knowing innocents have died?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Echo Chamber posted:

So is it cool to make fun of Ben Affleck again?

Because gently caress Argo.

Ben Affleck went on Real Time and called out Bill Maher's lovely Islamophobia, he's cool in my book.

Maybe not Batman cool but he can have a go at it. Clooney did.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Roughly 400,000-600,000 Daily Show viewers out of a million change the channel after the Moment of Zen.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/04/16/late-night-tv-ratings-for-april-6-10-2015/389838/ 454,000 lost @ 11:30

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/04/23/late-night-tv-ratings-for-april-13-17-2015/393626/ 522,000 lost @ 11:30

Stewart/Colbert typically kept it closer to 1:1.

I'd be in that group. I stream the show myself (can we discuss how lovely the Comedy Central video player is here?) and I haven't bothered with Nightly since the third or fourth episode.

Seriously though, let me pause with the drat space bar!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

swickles posted:

Why would they, there is no reason to cover it.

That's interesting, it's like you don't understand geopolitical relations or human death in one fell swoop.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

jerichojx posted:

It's such a shame that this will end after the next month. Once the week starts, I'll miss many of the episodes I missed because I was too young

I know they haven't announced anything, but why wouldn't they make every episode available online after this? Only makes sense to me.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

:neckbeard:I am an android and don't need sleep so I will be liveposting all my thoughts here for the next 40 days, as I use no other forms of social media.

For the love of god, loving don't.

Do you know how many babies I can rape in 20 seconds?

If u had a time machine and could either kill hitlēr or GWB, who do you choose?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Wow, Kimmel on The Daily Show. This is mature and hilarious. :v:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mr. Fowl posted:

I have a feeling that this episode is going to get uncomfortable. It's an episode from 1999 with Mo Rocca interviewing a transwoman. I'm sure it will be perfectly sensitive.

We were just discussing how that piece probably wouldn't air today, though it didn't have much to it.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

kayakyakr posted:

Oh Irish Joe, I'm going to miss you the most.

Unfortunately reports of his retirement have been greatly exaggerated.

Too bad, would really make the Last Week Tonight thread tolerable.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

Stewart (or anyone who supposedly 'talks truth to power')

Irish Joe posted:

every clip was of John wagging his finger at some politician.

"Let ME tell you why Global Warming is real, congressMAN!" :nyd:

Which isn't really funny and entertaining as it is boring and preachy.

Will you finally stop posting? You're contradicting yourself in an effort to poo poo all over people celebrating a man's work on an excellent show.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Lord Lambeth posted:

I don't think the show really declined when obama came into power. It shifted tone, because of course it had to, but I still found it really funny to watch. The whole Superpac thing with Colbert is another favorite of mine.

The latest episodes have had biting satire as well, the writers have really been on-point even while Jon was in short time mode. I don't think they need all this time off, but what do I know.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

The problem with TDS correspondents is virtually all of them just imitated Colbert's character and none of them do that character half as well as Colbert.

The newer ones don't do this as much, it's why I hope the show has legs.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

quote:

Without the GoT boost, LWT does about as well as reruns of Modern Family.

That's awesome, Modern Family is very popular and HBO is more restricted than most cable :)

Especially considering those numbers don't factor in pirates and Youtube viewers, I'm really happy with how popular this show is. Every time I show a clip to a friend it's a hit.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

jerichojx posted:

The Daily Show is usually my source for messed up things in the US. Other than LWT, are there any other shows that try their best to cover such stuff without being pants-on-head stupid or lying?

I watched the Fox Rep debate and it was quite disappointing to see Jeb denounce "Obama's pull-out from Iraq".

The Young Turks on YouTube?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

IRQ posted:

Maher is very fond of the old "you know who else did X?":godwin: chestnut.

This is an understatement. I've watched a lot of Real Time, he loving loves that joke.

I really enjoyed the end of Religulous, but yeah it was a complete tonal shift. It wasn't a conclusion to anything the movie set up, but it was a drat strong closing point.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

MrPablo posted:

I can't say I disagree with that assessment, but I do agree that focusing on Sanders seems kind of counterproductive.

Does it? He's a populist pledging real change, I'd expect more results out of him. And people are noticing and talking, so I'd say it was successful in the moment.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

loving took long enough.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Charles Martel posted:

I'll always miss Jon with his knowledge, intuition, and his Jersey/Wiseguy accent and wish he would do something like a stand-up show, podcast, etc., but I think the show is going to be just fine.

Unless he dives right in to movie production, I fully expect a stand-up special from Jon Stewart. I think he's entirely capable and has plenty of subject matter.

I don't care what he does with his life, honestly, it just seems like a logical progression.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

mcbexx posted:

So wait, if I'm a stoner and I open a parody twitter account, step on a couple of toes with some lewd tweets ... chances are that Jessica Williams will show up on my doorstep? And I might get 125,000 dollars out of it?

DONE!

I basically said this watching the show.

We may never be as funny as bill_nye_tho or dick_nixon, but goonspeed.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

zakharov posted:

Klepper's really good at NOT being the straight man. He's an excellent correspondent, stop messing with success!

He's really getting the chance to show how versatile he is, Jason and Jon tended to fill the spotlight well (I loved it all the same, miss u guys).

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Echo Chamber posted:

Is there something cynical about this CEO trying to make himself look good?

Or am I cynical for thinking there must be a catch? I'm inclined to think every CEO who tries to paint himself as some forward-minded progressive is actually some secret libertarian shitlord.

That's healthy cynicism at work. I've read a few articles and even applied to work for Gravity Payments, he sounds genuine to me. Seeing him speak helped me drop my cynical attitude too - he looked like he gives a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Everything's been excellent and all fears regarding TDS should be laid to rest.

The only correspondent I haven't genuinely enjoyed yet has been Ronnie Chieng, and I think that will change over time. (Or he'll just constantly be playing Ken Jeong's character from The Hangover...)

• Locked thread