Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Bit of a long shot but does anybody know of a good training spear? My club has a couple of 8' and 16' spears we can mess about with but I wouldn't mind one of my own for a bit of practice and maybe some mixed weapon combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Siivola posted:

Darkwood Armory makes a flexible blade for spear practice, but I have no idea how much you have to kit up to make it safe. Purpleheart Armory uses rubber heads, they're alright if a bit stiff. Purpleheart's are also available from European vendors, but I can't remember which ones.

Thanks, looks like I may have to have a go at making some. My instructors made the spears we use and they are pretty safe plus we tend not to attack as hard as possible with them, rather if you get hit with the spear tip you tend to accept you've been hit. Before I had a long term injury I had a pretty fun sparring session that was 2v2 two people with the 8' spears me with a longsword and a friend of mine with a rapier and buckler.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

ScratchAndSniff posted:

Typical HEMA bout:

Two fatties hit each other at the same time and then argue over who would have died first.

That's why you snipe the hands :v:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Hazzard posted:

To be fair, the media jumps the gun all the time on this. And actually looking at what people are saying is more effort than people are willing to go.

More on topic, does anyone here do anything other than sword or polearm? I was curious about who does bayonet, club or axe, because I haven't seen much mention of it online.

The club I'm in pretty much does anything as long as it's safe to do it. We have two bayonet's a few people have axes/tomahawks and sickles, daggers are pretty popular as are shields, staves and spears.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Hazzard posted:

We're planning on getting some bayonet soon. To my understanding, one of our guys owns a Brown Bess and is carving copies out of wood. Then attaching some strips of blunt iron to the end.

And to see how casual my club is, one of our Facebook posts

I forget the type of rifle the wood part is supposed to represent on the ones we use but they bayonet part has a flat end and is spring loaded so we can thrust them and it really won't hurt if it hits a person.

Your club sounds good. My instructors like mixed weapon sparring even if the weapons probably would have never met in real life or make a lot of sense. They also have been recording a lot of fights so we can evaluate our own performances, here's the channel they are all on

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Hazzard posted:

Right now we only have broadswords and quarterstaves, so mixed weapon fighting doesn't work. An experienced spearman will beat a swordsman, at least in our club, every time. Getting past the point is not easy. As soon as the spearman knows that thrusting with one hand is a bad idea, they've won.

I'll take pictures once we've got the bayonet simulators.

I like my club and to clarify, there are no nazis.

If you have just a sword even a beginner with a spear should own you most of the time, the spear is a great weapon. Though I do like fighting against a spear, great sense of achievement if you manage to get a hit.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Interesting saber drill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMNKLFn41IU

This is cavalry training so it's nothing like I have ever drilled before.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

What is everyone's favourite weapon to pair with a buckler? I'm having trouble getting into fighting with a buckler at the moment. I've tried it with an arming sword, a saber, messer, rapier, basket-hilt, dagger, axe and a sickle and just can't seem to get into it maybe I'm just not mible enough to really make good use of the buckler but at the moment my main tactic is to stick it out in front of me then mostly ignore it :effort:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Siivola posted:

That sounds like a good strategy to start with, to be honest. Also try sticking your hands together so that the buckler protects your sword hand, that's another reasonable way of using a buckler. What are you having trouble with?

Mostly using them effectively together. If I want to hit someone i basically forget I have a buckler and either bring it into my chest or drop it to my waist. Or if I'm defending I tend to either retreat to a weird hanging guard/buckler thrust out combination that I find it difficult to counter attack with. It becomes all martial and no art. TBH I think it'll work better when I lose a bit of weight.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

DandyLion posted:

I actually have found a lot of success with buckler/arming sword by using the sword as my defensive tool to parry->bind their weapon while I close explosively and let them eat the rim of my buckler. It also takes almost no practice since you really treat the buckler more like an offensive dagger rather than a defensive aid. Unfortunately I don't have any far reaching codified examples to say this was a valid historical method (unlike the I.33 manual's direction to utilize the buckler as a sword hand guard as Siivola mentioned).

Thanks. I'll try it I'm pretty confident with a single hander only so using it as a more defensive object and using the buckler as the offensive weapon. I have hit people in the face with a buckler before when we get in close which I feel is valid as the buckle could have a spike on the front.

Siivola posted:

Losing weight won't hurt, but this sounds like an issue you just have to patiently drill out. Grab a buddy, hand them a sword and then just take a proper guard with your buckler well extended towards them so that it covers your head and left side (check in a mirror) and practice parrying and returning their attacks. Unless the attack hits your buckler, only use your sword for the parry. Start off slow enough that you keep good form, speed up until it breaks and then slow down again.

...Of course, I haven't done much buckler so I might be full of poo poo! But that ought to help, I think. :v:

Well thanks for replying that's always welcome. Its not as if we haven't spent time in class on it we've been going over the sword and buckler for the past 6 weeks but I just can't transfer it to sparring. I'll keep your advice in mind.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

So I've just gotten back from a session. We had a newish guy there that is enthusiastic about the long sword but hasn't done much with it. So we went through the master cuts and I sparred with him a bit gave him some advice before saying I'd mostly defend so he could get used to going through the master cuts and get used to the movement, I said don't worry about when you hit me just keep attacking until you can't etc... He battered poo poo out of me so much so that after about the 20th hit when he came at me again I just stabbed him in the throat to get some rest, then he came back at me so I hit him in the head and came back at me so I managed a good mittlehau to the ribs before letting him batter me some more. I am going to be so sore in the morning. He was so thankful and enthuseastic about it helping him get the forms correct though, it made it all worth it :D

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I had a pretty fun fight last night. I had a saber and my opponent had a kriegsmesser. I've used a kriegsmesser before but never fought against one especially with a sword that is much shorter. It was a warm night so we went outside and I think that helped a bit I was able to use the uneven ground and trees to a bit of an advantage. Hanging guard was really helpful as well. I'm a big fan of sparring with mixed weapons and that was a good one.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

DandyLion posted:

A steel kriegsmesser!? Pray-tell who's the manufacturer?

Ah sorry it was a Black Fencer synthetic. Both were.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Siivola posted:

I passed! :toot:

Edit: Oh and I also flicked myself in the eye with my body cord.

Hey congrats, on both counts, now get out there and get involved in reffing controversy.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

How about some Rapier and Cloak sparring

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

10 Beers posted:

I got a thread relevant tattoo on my honeymoon!

Ha, ha. That's really nice. Congratulations on getting married.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Also, I went to my first competition of the year and put in a surprisingly decent result, coming in around the middle of the pack. Pity I didn't have time to do anything other than foil, though.

Feeling good about getting your first competition under your belt? Did you learn a lot from it?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Siivola posted:

Pretty sure Achmed's an old hand already.

I should do a better job of following this thread.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

Mainly condescending armchair-fencers who think Liechtenauer's tradition is The One True Martial Art. Anything He didn't prescribe is foolish and pointless. So gekken sparring? Sparring in gear? Sparring with sharps? Cutting with sharps? Tournaments? All useless. Edit: Anything that isn't drilling at 70% speed is not The Art (this was just told to me, I at least thought their school sparred, but I was wrong). Here is an exact quote in response to the video:

"How did this add to our collective knowledge of the Liechtenauer tradition? It did not."

No poo poo! It's two people from completely different schools of swordsmanship sparring for funsies, and people keep applying their own neurotic insecurities on it.

I guess they've never heard of the "One True God" Joachim Meÿer :smug:

Seriously though, that vid sounds dumb.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

My fencing club had a bit of fun and did some "mounted" sabre sparring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cxphEi_1mI

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

Mike Edelson finally released his book on cutting mechanics with the longsword. Cutting with the Medieval Sword: Theory and Application

I can attest to his cutting and martial abilities. He is well-respected in the HEMA community, and his background in cutting mechanics stems from his time as a practioner of various JSAs.

Have you read The Art of Combat: A German Martial Arts Treatise of 1570 if so what did you think?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

I haven’t, but the response I’ve seen to that book has been mostly positive.

I'm really embarrassed to say I've got a copy of it but didn't realise I had until I was sorting out my back room and found it this week. :blush:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

inscrutable horse posted:

Is that Forgeng's translation? If so, I can recommend it. It's quite easy to read, it's got an excellent glossary, and Meyer himself is quite pedagogical in his lessons and doesn't take much for granted.

Yes that's right it's Forgeng's translation. I've given it a quick look and it seems very interesting.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Wow, $99 a month for a class a week? Mine is around $20 (£15) a month and you can go to two classes a week. Mind you my teachers are running it at cost and it isn't their source of income.

Verisimilidude posted:

Smith is a huge baby with a rotten attitude and has weird regressive borderline alt-righty politics. He was straight up banned from Longpoint for being a tremendous sore loser and throwing a tantrum between fights. It’s a shame that the person managing that fight was one of his own students and it was their first time as ring boss, because he should have been red carded after the first offense and disqualified after the second.

I'd never heard of this guy before but he seems like a bit of a dick, I've had people deliver late blows and harder than necessary blows but nothing like that.

Here is a duel from my school where the basic rules are fighters stop on any strike, and reset. But the fight does not end until a killing or incapacitating blow has been made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEbEoFrTG1M

bessantj fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Dec 13, 2017

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

your friend a dog posted:

my buddies went to a hema tournament and someone put their quillion through someones hand 8|

During the competition or did they just not like the guy?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

during the competition. they didnt even pull the guy lmao. he was like 6'3 270 and he went on to almost break my buddies fore arm with a cut (good thing he was wearing a bracer)

I don't get people who seem to go psycho at tournaments. I don't really fight in tournaments but I did fight in one unofficial tournament put together by my school and a few others in the local area. We were using bespoke rules because HEMA rules can be a bit poo poo. In a match that was first to ten I was nine - one up and my opponent charged me so I just thought he'd given up and I hit him with a thrust to the head. Only he didn't stop and kept on charging eventually colliding with me and we both went over where he held my head down and stabbed me in the side of my neck. I didn't react too well and we got into a fight. But I'll never understand why he decided to do what he did (beyond him being an arsehole.)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

I think the real question there is if he got his card pulled. Because that's pretty unacceptable behavior for any competitive sport.

They just had him go to the car park and cool off. His schools instructor apologised to me and after about an hour and a bit of cajoling he came over and apologised. I then watched my friend massacre him in the long sword tournament. He was about 6' 3" and my friend is 5' 8" so it was enough to put a smile on my face.

EDIT: Actually thinking back I sparred with someone from his school and he said the guy was a bit of a wanker.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

At least he apologized, I suppose, but still not a good look.

His apology was funny because it was so obvious he'd been told to do it and didn't want to like when you're 10 and your mother makes you say sorry to someone when you don't want to.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

Protip : longsword to the thumb loving hurts.

Still very happy with this hobby. Gonna buy some real hefty gloves for next time an idiot decides that their turn holding Longpoint in a practice drill is their opportunity to practice cutting hands.

This post brought to you entirely by my left hand in what I presume to be a novel reason in the history of the internet.

There's a guy in my school that broke a few fingers and both thumbs at different times because no matter how many times he was shown and we practised blocking with the blade for some reason he insisted in blocking with the grip.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Don't you guys wear armored gauntlets when doing longsword?

I still wear a tatty pair of lacrosse gloves, but he does wear armoured gauntlets these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

I know someone who has been using (with massive success) a pair of lacrosse gloves with a layer of thick leather over top for the past 5+ years. His hands look like giant hamburgers.

I'm thinking of coming up with a homemade solution since I have some friends who have access to commercial equipment. I just want something that doesn't require force to close my hand. Kote seem to be a solid foundational choice in terms of shape and comfort, but I also really appreciate aesthetics.

I never thought of that. My lacrosse gloves have a few big holes in them now. Sometimes my right index finger will pop out the side. I really should replace them.