Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

OH poo poo I AM IN

I have All Hail West Texas on Vinyl and I really want to listen through their discography at some point, I started with some of the cassettes last year after I bought AHWT but got distracted but I can use this as a reason to get back into it!

Yayyy~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Confirming that I got my role and that I haven't listened to my song yet because I just put a Boz Scaggs record on my turntable. Friday night best night~

Antivehicular posted:

Also Transcendental Youth, We Shall All Be Healed, The Sunset Tree, Tallahassee...

Basically just get a Mountain Goats album and start listening until you're done. Maybe avoid the weird early material, but even then it's really hard to go wrong.

I listened to the first early weird tape cause I was trying to go in order (the one with the weird japanese tv show stuff he recorded over on it) and I liked it a lot!

If you do listen to All Hail West Texas, get your hands on the liner notes from the vinyl release where he talks about each song. It's really interesting to read about his life and what he was doing at the time he wrote that album.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

Musicals are bad because the acting and emotion are complete artifice, like a fake plastered-on grin. It is the uncanny valley of emotion. It grates like a scraped chalkboard.

This is incorrect and quite probably because you are listening to the wrong musicals. Songs in musicals are all written as poetry - i.e., the absolute truth of what the character is saying (this goes back to Shakespeare; characters in Shakespeare talk primarily in poetry because they are all speaking exactly how they feel; subtext as a concept in theatre hadn't arrived yet.) Yes in real life characters aren't going to burst into singing and dancing, but in real life we also aren't going to pour our feelings about death and life out to an empty room by saying "To be or not to be" to start.

A character is so overcome with emotion that he has no choice but to sing the truth about it.
Then said character is so overcome with emotion that he has no choice but to dance about how he feels.

^ That's musical theatre.

/end Choral Teacher & Musical Theatre Director rant

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

If you want recent albums with great emotion behind them I would heavily recommend Sun Kil Moon's most recent album, Benji. He's also not the best singer and the lyrics are more stream of thought meandering than polished lyrics at times but it's wonderfully and tragically autobiographical and a pretty hard hitting ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBNdOTu2Wn0

First track there. I actually haven't heard the whole thing (had to stop before the last two tracks) but if you dig it I recommend listening all the way through for full impact.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Also capps we should talk about music sometimes I listen to a ton of poo poo and it sounds like our tastes would overlap~

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I started collecting vinyl again in October and I have a pretty ok size collection now between my old records, new records that I've purchased, dollar records at Savers, and my mom giving me poo poo she doesn't care about.

I've been using Discog's "random item in your collection" lately to listen through my poo poo. Right now it says I need to listen to....

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Jazz Goes to College

So on to the TT that goes!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Rascyc posted:

My girlfriend likes going to Operas so that's my NEXT STEP in the savvy music world

Listen to some John Cage next~

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Asiina posted:

##vote quidnose

I refrained from voting you when you said your favorite musical was Les Mis, Asiina, don't you tempt me now! :v:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Today I am listening to jazz records! Started with Duke Ellington's Piano Sketches, now I'm listening to Ahmad Jamal Live at Blackhawk. Maybe some Bill Evans next? I'm in a piano jazz mood~

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Go listen to Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue and get back to me! It has Bill Evans on it.

Seriously though listen to the whole thing there's a reason it is the best selling Jazz album of all time.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

ahahahaha that's hilarious, i gotta show that to my ap music theory class

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

capps what are you listening to tonight :allears:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

franki cosmos is on there i like franki cosmos!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah I don't know why we're making all kinds of flavor arguments, who gives a poo poo, let's talk about music until tomorrow and then look at people doing all the scummy poo poo~

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Can I comment on it? Because I like it!

Capps what do you think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqKPe9w5bUs

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Dude that Klaus Nomi track is the original Ariel Pink, I am hardcore jiving on that. Wanna snag it on vinyl.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Me too!

For reference this the track Klaus Nomi reminded me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etpWxQ8noUc

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Hi thread, I just got home from work! Let's play some mafia!~

Epsilon Plus posted:

yo we got seven hours to lynch someone

Asiina posted a bunch of youtubes which isn't really a crime but that's the best I got to go on

either Asiina for f_v for liking Pearl Jam imo

this is highly suspect!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Asiina posted:

I don't want to lynch Meinberg D1 of his first game back.

agree with this where from where i am sitting right now (the toilet)

Really though I was just in a game with meinberg where he replaced out because he didn't have time and was doing this poo poo initially and he ended up being town, I think? Meinberg can you confirm that, be honest now!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Epsilon Plus posted:

I'm completely serious about hating Pearl Jam.

I wasn't joking about trying to get things moving. I don't think posting hella Youtubes is bad but it got you two going so

also I can buy ##vote meinberg

see this is awful, everyone was posting youtubes, i don't see why the specific callout, and then a random shift over? this is a terrible post.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

i don't know what the gently caress that allen meltdown was but it hella reminds me of every town quidnose meltdown i have had so i think he is probably town. why did you freak out, allen?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

OK so the actual question is:

Epsilon Plus posted:

yo we got seven hours to lynch someone

Asiina posted a bunch of youtubes which isn't really a crime but that's the best I got to go on

either Asiina for f_v for liking Pearl Jam imo

Does a scum team member make a post that is this blatantly stupid and lazy?

I actually want people to weigh in on this.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Rascyc posted:

this feels like the town epsilon I saw in hotel california where he just says whatever was on his mind

Yeah I dunno I'm flip flopping on this :\ on the one hand I feel like he's doing this but on the other hand why as town wouldn't he just say "yeah I know that was kinda terrible sorry about that"

He's referencing all these other random things like post count without actually addressing "why did you pick her over every other person who posted videos"

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

What's the case on meinberg? He assumed Kumba's claim was true too fast?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Did someone set ##vote e+ to go to f_v

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Yes they did. That's weird as gently caress.

##unvote

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

##vote Epsilon Plus for real this time!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

:zombie: BOOOOOOOOOO :zombie:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu