Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love this show, and the movie. Feel free to shoot the poo poo about one of the best shows to air in the last decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Now you have to make this thread 8 times right?

Kylra fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 9, 2015

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
It was okay, very much a show that lived on hype, the live viewing experience and mildly quirky humor rather than lasting quality (much like the monogatari series).

Disappearance was good though.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Insurrectionist posted:

It was okay, very much a show that lived on hype, the live viewing experience and mildly quirky humor rather than lasting quality (much like the monogatari series).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Insurrectionist posted:

You can watch it again and get a lot out of it. Thankfully the creators were nice enough to provide 8 episodes in the middle of their show for you to consider again and again

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

In a far off land, there exists a buddhist temple, in which the eight episodes of endless eight play on repeat for a single, chosen monk of the temple. It is said that once all 512 monks of the temple watch all eight episodes eight times, we will finally get a season 3.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Are they literally exactly the same so I could watch the first one then skip ahead seven episodes?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

no

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Sakurazuka posted:

Are they literally exactly the same so I could watch the first one then skip ahead seven episodes?

They are completely reanimated, redubbed, and with small differences in dialogue.

The first and the last episodes of the eight are slightly different from the 6 in between, but you could just watch the very last one without missing anything.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Sakurazuka posted:

Not literally exactly, there are different angles and stuff. But it's fine to skip episodes in the middle, as long as you watch the first and the last one, imo.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I think the series is dead.

The only virtue of light novels is that they're quick to write and quick to read, you can pump a whole bunch out in a year if you're motivated. But in the last 7 years only two have come out (two parts of one novel, technically). And nothing in the last 3 years.

RIP

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Endless Eight #2 and #4 were great.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Vengarr posted:

The only virtue of light novels is that they're quick to write and quick to read, you can pump a whole bunch out in a year if you're motivated. But in the last 7 years only two have come out (two parts of one novel, technically). And nothing in the last 3 years.

RIP

Nobody cares about the light novels

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The light novels are poo poo from my rear end

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

Endless Eight #2 and #4 were great.

#7 is good as well

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

whichever endless eight had the k-on cameo is the best one

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

coathat posted:

Nobody cares about the light novels

The Disappearance one was good, but the rest were pretty hit and miss. The first one is pretty much completely supplanted by the show.

As for the show itself, first season was cool and the out of order airing was interesting. Second season was not so good, but I appreciate how gutsy it was. Endless Eight worked better in the book though, I think.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

I didn't really mind the build-up of Endless Eight, considering I watched them all in a row. It started to drag on around 5.

I like the first season better, for the reasons above. The elements they introduced were interesting enough for me.

I felt obligated to comment for some reason.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vengarr posted:

They are literally making another anime this year.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I completely understand why no one cares, but season three is incoming.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Disappearance of Nagato Yuki is actually a spin-off manga about the world where Yuki has a personality and dates Kyon.

Also, Haruhi is alright, but Haruhi-chan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKeXjyGwxf8

superior.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

neat

Mordaedil posted:

Also, Haruhi is alright, but Haruhi-chan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKeXjyGwxf8

superior.

agreed

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yuki Nagato Chan is written by the guy who did Haruhi-chan

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

I still haven't decided whether im going to watch it or launch an all out assault on the creative studio and level their building with a combination of pipebombs and bazookas.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I have never seen a show piss away collective fan goodwill so thoroughly as when Endless Eight happened.

I know they got a movie greenlit and everything but write another filler episode or adapt a different arc or something.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I still haven't decided whether im going to watch it or launch an all out assault on the creative studio and level their building with a combination of pipebombs and bazookas.

Hell, why not both.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

The Devil Tesla posted:

Disappearance is just a spinoff.

And yeah the light novels are okay-to-bad, but without poo poo to adapt there is no adaptation. They can't even really do an OVA of Surprise because the main conflict (the existence of the Anti-SOS Brigade and the Anti-Haruhi) hasn't been resolved yet, and has in fact been dangling for three years.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

I have only watched the first season but reading the anime chit chat thread a while back made me interested in checking out the second season and movie. Are they on any streaming sites?

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Everything that I know about Haruhi, I learned from Lucky Star.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmZxvHMRhK4

Melancholy is on my list of stuff to watch, I promise I'll get to it right after I finish Barakamon.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Famous TV Dad posted:

I have only watched the first season but reading the anime chit chat thread a while back made me interested in checking out the second season and movie. Are they on any streaming sites?

The license has been abandoned for some time and was readily available on youtube. Funimation picked it up so the official Crunchyroll streams ended.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Maybe wait a year for Funimation to get their act (relatively) together or :filez:

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Dehry posted:

The license has been abandoned for some time and was readily available on youtube. Funimation picked it up so the official Crunchyroll streams ended.

I see. Thank you.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They should make a tight combo set of Haruhi and Lucky Star

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

They should make a tight combo set of Haruhi and Lucky Star

This but without the Lucky Star

Also they're never actually going to continue those novels are they

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lucky Star is the real Season 3 of Haruhi.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it was a good warm up for the kyoani golden age

i havent watched any of their older stuff because they look like harem shows though

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Please watch Hyouka.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

The Devil Tesla posted:

Please watch Hyouka.

This is exactly the kind of shitposting I'm hoping will stop in ADTRW 2.0

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

it's moderately entertaining moeshit, OP. i will say that at least kyoani shows are scrupulously clean and non-creepy compared to what could be, but it's still a show about a random high school student and his magic tsundere girlfriend and assorted moeblob sidekicks

PotU posted:

i havent watched any of their older stuff because they look like harem shows though

haruhi is a harem show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Delicious tears of disappointment
I'm going to rewatch season 1 soon. This show was one of my favorites in 2006, along with Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni and Ergo Proxy, but I'm not sure if I'll like it as much after all this time has passed. The DVD set I own puts all the episodes in order, do people generally recommend watching it in the original broadcast order?

If I find myself enjoying the series again I'll finally check out season 2 and the movie, endless 8 and all.

• Locked thread