Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I liked chronological order myself. The only hard part is getting through the endless eight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Vengarr posted:

This is exactly the kind of shitposting I'm hoping will stop in ADTRW 2.0

Don't even joke about Hyouka being bad, tia.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Srice posted:

I found another show you might like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qorkD6nPYQM

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

it's moderately entertaining moeshit, OP. i will say that at least kyoani shows are scrupulously clean and non-creepy compared to what could be, but it's still a show about a random high school student and his magic tsundere girlfriend and assorted moeblob sidekicks

haruhi is a harem show

Is it actually though

I thought the only ones who actually thought of Kyon like that were Haruhi (who will win) and Nagato

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i mean it's a high schooler surrounded entirely by cute girls multiple of whom are romantically interested in him or vice versa

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Srice posted:

Whenever I see the name Hyouka it gets mentally replaced by Hyakko, which was cool and fun.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

i mean it's a high schooler surrounded entirely by cute girls multiple of whom are romantically interested in him or vice versa

One of them is a genderbended Marty McFly.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

But what does this mean for Archie comics

E:^ didn't they mention a bunch of times that Mikuru has probably been manipulating Kyon more than a little bit under orders from her superiors?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

But what does this mean for Archie comics

also a harem series

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Kyon will wind up with Koizumi

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

also a harem series

What would you do, if your dad(and mom) had the hots for you?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vengarr posted:

I found another show you might like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qorkD6nPYQM

I slept v well, thank you.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Kyon will wind up with Koizumi
based on everyone's memories being erased that one time it'd actually be more likely for Koizumi to end up with Haruhi

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hyouka is a show about the often painful depths within even the most mundane of lives, and how the characters grow into adults by discovering them. Congratulations to Vengarr for having the insight of a small child and completely missing the point of a young adult novel adaption.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 9, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hyouka was KyoAni's last good show and even then I thought it was just OK. That six part culture festival episode was rad though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

it's moderately entertaining moeshit, OP. i will say that at least kyoani shows are scrupulously clean and non-creepy compared to what could be, but it's still a show about a random high school student and his magic tsundere girlfriend and assorted moeblob sidekicks

haruhi is a harem show

You dumb motherfucker

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I watched the first season of Haruhi a while back because people said it was the second coming of Anime Jesus. It was interesting, even good, but afterward I felt like, "okay, that's that." The ending provided a sense of closure and I just didn't find myself wanting to watch the movie or the second season. It's weird, because the non-linear airing order (which was how I watched most of it, I think I might have skipped around for the island-mystery two-parter) both makes it much better and also a bit worse.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

The Devil Tesla posted:

Hyouka is a show about the often painful depths within even the most mundane of lives, and how the characters grow into adults by discovering them. Congratulations to Vengarr for having the insight of a small child and completely missing the point of a young adult novel adaption.

the only painful thing in the show was watching it

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
I thought the books were p good if consisting of stacking up more and more philosophical dead ends and purposely left ambiguities.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Also I didn't like any of the cast, they were all jerks. Except whatshername who was just there as eye candy.

I guess Yuki was alright, in a silly kind of way.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Haruhi isn't an rear end in a top hat, she's a hormonal teen

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

this might be difficult to understand for some people

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

On the other hand the other normal hormonal teenager thought it was p. hosed up that she drugged that one chick

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

On the other hand the other normal hormonal teenager thought it was p. hosed up that she drugged that one chick

That was actually hosed up and the only time violence is even remotely threatened in the show. It's one of my favorite scenes

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

That was actually hosed up and the only time violence is even remotely threatened in the show. It's one of my favorite scenes

I actually wish Koizumi didn't stop Kyon from throwing that punch because goddamn

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

TheKingofSprings posted:

I actually wish Koizumi didn't stop Kyon from throwing that punch because goddamn

It felt like an overreaction in the show since she only slipped her the weakest of weak alcohol that couldn't get mice drunk. It's the equivalent of that scene in HYOUKA where the main girl gets drunk off chocolates with alcohol in them. You don't expect people to get falling-over drunk from that.

In the books she makes her drink vodka which is pretty squicky. They also get smashed on the summer trip, which I think caused a bit of a kerfuffle in Japan because underage drinking is perceived as a major problem there.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Vengarr posted:

the only painful thing in the show was watching it

it was scientifically proven that hyouka was the best

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

actually it looks like it was proven that hyouka is third place

you know what we do with shows that aren't winners, don't you?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
hyouka is both first and third place.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

icantfindaname posted:

actually it looks like it was proven that hyouka is third place

you know what we do with shows that aren't winners, don't you?

no worries, hyouka is so great it earned 1st and 3rd simultaneously

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Saber looks hilariously out of place in that lineup.

AnacondaHL posted:

hyouka is so great
:agreed:

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its good to see tamako market there, the third best kyoani show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed Hyouka, but I was consistently thinking of AnacondaHL's avatar when watching it, which may actually have made it better.

I might have enjoyed that everybody except the main character were idiots and were really disappointed when the main character time and again just proved he wasn't psychic, he just put two and two together.

• Locked thread