Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I went to Scottsdale recently and played some golf there at three different courses. You couldn't walk any of them (one would have been very practical to walk but it was Not Allowed).

What's up with the dudes in polo shirts that go up to your bag and start wiping down your clubs when you bring the cart in?

I'm glad I'm back in California, played Cinnabar Mountain/Canyon today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
When I first started playing golf again as an adult, I found that practicing putting would tire out my back muscles. Of course this was while having a huge gut and a desk job with bad posture. In a full swing I think you can compensate for back weakness with feet and knees and hand-eye coordination, and maybe the muscles are just used differently.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
One of my favorite things about the Masters is how Jeff Knox, a +2 who serves as a noncompeting marker if the post-cut field is odd, often beats his pro opponents.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
A hard shell case, four five bag, and shoes and clubs and dozens of balls stayed within 50 lbs, so did other people's soft travel bags with legs, the weight limit is not a problem.

I did hard shell bag with luggage and carryon and I'd do it again with a soft kick out leg bag any time. And that was with a shuttle bus to SFO long term parking. But I'm afraid of doing new things.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
After playing pretty badly on a windy morning, on the 17th hole par 3, I hit a 6-iron in a cross-wind off the water hazard to a tucked pin to 2 feet. The putt was flat and straight.

Missed the putt.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
The course I played at as a kid, and where my dad still plays now, had a sharp 90 degree dogleg par 5 around a residential property that had a huge > 1 acre lawn. I had occasion to cut the corner when I was a kid, after a topped drive, and a consistent hitter would probably be well-served by taking a direct route. Now they've sold a parcel and built a house in there. A family moves in, anddddd you know the rest, now they're bitching about golf balls.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Did I ever post this?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I'm super happy with the used irons I bought over eBay more than a year ago. Also happy with the new bargain bin 3-wood I got 9 months ago at the largest golf superstore in East Palo Alto.

If you're worried about the clubs not fitting, just take a month off and then you won't have a swing to fit them to!

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Tips like that probably don't work so well for people whose elbows don't go fully straight like mine.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I was watching yesterday and he looked like he was in pain, unhappy at minus 2, I don't get what he's doing.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Mr. BT posted:

The last course I played had very few yardage markers. I haven't been playing that long so I certainly can't eyeball it, but I know how far I can hit each club.

Is there a reason not to get the Bushnell Tour Z6?

I have a Tour V3, and I've had problems with water getting into it and temporarily making it inoperable. Also, I had problems with range, in comparison to some longer-ranged Bushnell that I used to have, before it got stolen. If you're going to get a rangefinder, the Z6 seems like a good choice.

A reason not to get it is that the game isn't really any more fun with it.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I don't think I've played one course like that in California.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
What annoyed me most about my trip to Scottsdale is that McCormick Ranch is perfectly walkable -- dead flat, short walks from green to tee -- but they were like, "Nope, you have to have a cart."

Meanwhile Poppy Hills has two long walks to the 10th and 17th tees, pretty substantial elevation changes, but if you want to walk 36 holes in a day, be their guest! Of course it would be politically incorrect for the NCGA to run their course otherwise.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
That's quite a retinal screenshot you've got there.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

MacDougall posted:

I am contemplating taking up golf as a hobby. I only have one issue. An injury to my right elbow means I cannot straighten my right arm. It sits about 140 degrees fully extended. Will being unable to fully extend my right arm as a right hander make the whole exercise pointless?

Both my arms extend to 150 degrees, and golf is fine, but that's symmetric. Your main problem here is that the right arm is 6% shorter, in distance from the shoulder to the hand, if the other straightens out to 180. Also, the right hand already has to reach below the left when swinging the club. It's important that you be able to swing the club with your left arm straight. I think you can make your golf swing less ridiculous than 80% of golfers'.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

corn in the fridge posted:

Oh cool it seems people actually play golf in this thread. I have just started to pick the game up and today I will be out playing my third ever round. Any tips for beginners?? 🐣

Don't ride a cart.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I hit my 3-wood better than the driver because I don't try to kill the ball.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
There's nothing more relaxing than spending 4 hours in my own personal hell.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I think the British Open is also kind of early too -- I remember it playing on July 30.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Yep.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Yes, hit down on the ball. It'll launch at an upward angle right from the get-go.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Myrtle Beach has full-sized golf courses too, not just mini-golf, right? You might want to try those instead.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Prediction: Tiger beats Davis Love III in a playoff, and never wins again.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Ribsauce posted:

drat David Feherty got fired.

You mean they couldn't agree to a contract? Or did he actually get fired?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Every night.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

skaboomizzy posted:

:lol: at your snake.

Aww he's a cutie.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
The problem wasn't the decade, it was his sponsor.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Summit posted:

So you actually consciously control the club face throughout the swing?

This instructional video explains how:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsN2sMM1qmA

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Bandon is just so good. My toenails started breaking apart from the walking (I was a fatso) but I'd have gone another 1 day / 36 holes if I didn't have a plane to catch.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
:aaa: I live in La Jolla and a big tree a block away blew over. Shopping carts were moving all on their own! That's not supposed to happen. I don't even think they have the ability to remove trees in this city. They'll have to let it rot.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Correction: two had fallen within a teeshot distance by then, both took out some parked cars. Another in a nearby park. Just now I had to detour around a third road blockage.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Merely by being from the wrong fairway, even though it's a fairway, you're hitting from "trouble," which makes the shot more heroic!

Also having to dodge the teeshots of an oncoming group usually puts me in a better mindset.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Christ almighty.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I know the feeling. For a while if I tried to hit the ball shorter than the normal distance for the club, it'd go long.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Unknownmass posted:

How urgent should i get this fixed?

If it breaks and flips up, stabs you in the jugular, I'll send you a sleeve of Pro-V1's.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Dimebag posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a carry/stand bag that would also play nice with a push cart?

I like my Four 5 on a push cart and carry it too. I'm pretty sure I considered the Hoofer 14 before buying, I can't remember how I made the decision.

Edit: what's an external mechanism?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I think the reason I preferred the Sun Mountain over any Ping option was the comfort of the straps. Also the Four 5 lets you lock the legs too. The part sticking out of the base isn't any extra mechanism, it's just the base that sticks out to give some leverage. Edit: You know what maybe it is extra, and now I'm going to have to check tomorrow.

sarehu fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 28, 2016

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Dimebag posted:

The only problem with sun mountain is that they are hard to come by in Australia. Titleist and Ping bags you can get from most golf retailers but sun mountain I would need to order online from the US which takes the price with shipping over what the Hoofer would cost. I believe that sun mountain makes the titleist bags correct?

Hey I'd just get one of those then. I'd probably prefer the Titliest 14's strap, but that's something to see for yourself, maybe check how far down the club dividers go, too.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Keyser S0ze posted:

Finally, create a time machine and go back to the R&A in 1891 and make the fuckin' hole 6 inches instead of 4.25.

Imagine how much fun the USGA would have protecting par then!

Also the most relevant quote from the Adidas story:

"It will keep Adidas-branded golf shoes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

ironlung posted:

What's the best way to calculate handicap strokes in a two man best ball match?

Team 1: handicaps 3 and 10
Team 2: handicaps 12 and 14

See http://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/Handi_Ref_Manual.pdf where it's called a four-ball.

ironlung posted:

Is it easiest to just give everyone strokes based on their handicap or would it make more sense to have the lowest guy play as a scratch and then calculate based off of that - so the 10 would get 7 strokes, 12 gets 9 and the 14 gets 11

If it's match play, the latter is what it recommends.