Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Douchebag posted:

That loving fist bump from Roger Maltbie was unreal. And I don’t think I’ve ever seen Tiger smile or enjoy something like this ever.

I saw that and it was awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

First RC matchups:

2:10 a.m. (ET) - Brooks Koepka-Tony Finau v. Justin Rose-Jon Rahm
2:25 a.m. (ET) - Rickie Fowler-Dustin Johnson v. Thorbjorn Olesen-Rory McIlroy
2:40 a.m. (ET) - Jordan Spieth-Justin Thomas v. Paul Casey-Tyrell Hatton
2:55 a.m. (ET) - Patrick Reed-Tiger Woods v. Francesco Molinari-Tommy Fleetwood

I’m up before 6am for work anyway, think I’ll have to get up an hour early to watch some of it live.

My course is doing a one-round match against a nearby course on Saturday, 20 guys from each. 6 holes alternate shot, 6 holes best ball, 6 holes captain and mate. Not sure who I’m playing with yet but it’ll be fun. I just wish we were doing it at like 2pm instead of 11am since we’ll miss a chunk of the actual RC while we play.

Reed and Woods? What an odd pairing.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

Do you know why Reed put a hybrid in the bag this week?

Tight course with small fairways I imagine is the reason.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Had a pretty decent round on Saturday.

Stupid 2nd hole, especially after an opening birdie really pissed me off but was able to recover. I finally got my new putter rolling great and had quite a few 10'+ putts that I rolled in for par saves.

I'm playing Bay Hill next monday which I'm super stoked for and will probably hit the range a few times this week to prepare, maybe sneak in one more round this weekend, but it's anniversary weekend so, maybe not lol.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shapur posted:

Great round! What app is that information from?

Golfshot GPS.

Also, my precious!!

Thank you ebay 15% off coupon

I think I'm good for a while!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Daric posted:

My company will reimburse us $250 a year for fitness related purchases and I’m in need of new golf pants. Is Adidas the go to for pants now?

I have like 6 pairs of UA pants that I wear to work/when it's actually cold enough to wear them for golf. Absolutely love them. Get them at the outlet if you have one near you and pay $30-40/pair instead of the normal $80+/pair.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So I played Bay Hill yesterday! Played from the blues which plays 6895, and that's probably 3-500 yards longer than the courses I normally play, even from the tees one in from the tips, and boy did I notice lol. Oh ya, the 15-20mph wind thanks to the hurricane didn't help either!

A tale of 2 nines, or, how I couldn't shake the fact I was playing Bay Hill lol. My short game disappeared for basically the front nine, just couldn't hit an iron. I blame the fact that the driving range was mats only and I just can't do that, just doesn't give me that feeling you need when warming up. That was about the only thing that I was disappointed in, having to hit offa mats when the whole range seemed in perfect condition. If it was a few weeks or a month before the tournament I could kinda understand, but a random week day months away, kinda sucked.

Completely happy with my score though, I know if I played it again I could be down to my regular mid/high 70's scores.

Course is in awesome shape, but man, if you're off the fairway it can punish you. Greens rolled truer than any other course I play in the area. Sand shots killed me as I've suddenly forgotten how to hit outta sand traps so I lost some strokes there.

Dad(Mark) had a great time, he last played it 32 years ago during a work tournament and it def brought back some memories for him. All in all, I'd say it's worth it. We stayed one night at the lodge and the cost split between us was $250 or so, not outlandish considering it's a PGA Tour stop course. I really need to make friends with a member somehow so I can get on without staying lol.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

Have any of you guys completely changed your grip? I never had a lesson or anything when I started playing and just used a ten finger baseball grip. Lately I’ve felt like it’s really been a struggle to keep my face angle consistent between swings so my last few rounds I switched to an interlock grip and so far it seems to have helped. It’s easier to grip the club with my fingers rather than my palms and kept a lower grip pressure. I’ve tried this a couple times before but within a few days reverted back to my ten finger grip, and this time I think I’m really going to commit to it.

I did the exact thing recently. Went from a 10 finger baseball grip to not quite interlock, but more of an overlap, my pinky on my right hand kind sits in between and on top of my middle and pointer finger on my left hand. I did it initially because I somehow hurt my hand working on my Jeep where I couldn't do my normal 10 finger grip but the overlap grip felt fine. I've stuck with it and it feels completely natural now. No idea if it's helped my game at all, still sitting low single digit handicap, but it at least feels better now.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

zapplez posted:

Anyone else excited about Tiger vs Mickelson or am I the only rube?

Super excited!

There's already a 200k bet on the first hole lol

I would've loved them to go fully Caddyshack and carry a briefcase with stacks of cash and just pull some out anytime a bet is made lol

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Their app on Roku finally fixed itself. I was watching for free on a web browser but I’ll pay $20 to watch it on my big screen lol

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

Wow I would have made Phil try that birdie putt on 18. Playoff here we come!

Ya I imagine Tiger doesn’t want to win on a miss like that.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

soppi posted:

Is Honma supposed to be considered special? I started paying attention to golf again after a 10 year break and when I looked at Justin's "winning bag" on some website I had to google what Honma was. A lot has happened in the last 10 years so I'm completely out of the loop, but when I looked that driver up they were $800-$1300. Are they trying to be the new big thing/have they been around for a while?

It's a high-end Japanese brand that's been around for 60 years. Handmade clubs, custom fit to each player etc/etc.

See also, Miura

PXG is trying to be like them I suppose.

mattfl fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 31, 2019

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

soppi posted:

Oh. When I say "paying attention again" I guess I mean "10 years ago I played every day and would sometimes watch golf for a bit when it was on". I've also never heard of Epon or Miura, so shows how much I know hah.

Miura was the company that was rumored to be making Tigers Titleist/Nike clubs

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

pmac posted:

The former TaylorMade CEO is now working for Honma, so I'm sure he played a role in spending boatloads of money to sign Rose.

Oh wow I didn't know that.

Ya I'm 100% sure that's what happened. He probably told Rose that they'll make him whatever type of clubs he wants and backed up a dump truck of money to his house.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

pmac posted:

One round of golf per month for $99/year makes zero sense. There must be some ridiculous blackout dates and weird conditions around that part of the deal. Seems like not the worst idea until they start raising the price...I think?

Guarantee it's one of GolfNow's hot deal times, which can only be used tuesday-thursday after 1pm. This is really how their hotdeal rewards work now.

Oh you can get at time at Sawgrass though golfnow, not the Stadium course though.

edit:

HA, loving called it. From their ToS

All GOLFPASS Program Members will receive one (1) GOLFNOW promotional code (the “PLAY Promo Code”) per month while their GOLFPASS membership is current and valid, which may be used to redeem one (1) Hot Deal* tee time of any value** (for one (1) golfer only), playable Monday through Thursday after 12:00 p.m. only.

I have never seen a hot deal time at TPC or any of the other high profile courses. So while you CAN book a tee time through golfnow to play TPC(non stadium course) you'll NEVER get a free round there with this program.

mattfl fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 5, 2019

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I hooked a fellow goon up with tickets the year I won. We had Wednesday tickets but got rained out. Had enough time to spend too much money in the souvenir shop and make a quick round of the entire course though. Sucked, but at least I can say I've been on the grounds!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kameh posted:

Who's the guy who goes to Bay Hill?

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/66219499

I got to play it last year and went to the tourney the past couple years.

All of those have the tags still on them, kinda a weird donation. Just one of those covers usually runs around $40-50 in their pro shop.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

drat Sergio gonna miss the cut!

Edit: whoops wrong golf thread.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anyone want a free round of golf on Xfinity?

https://memberships.golfnow.com/xfinity-offer/

I just used this to book a hot deal tee time in orlando on whatever the most expensive course I could find that had a hot deal time and it worked!

You gotta use the golfnow app and use the promo code XFINITYFREE

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

2020 Masters Tickets applications are now open!

https://tickets.masters.com

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

It says you can request any and all says but only win 1. So do they pick your name then you pick which day? Or do they pick which day?

They pick the day.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

RideTheSpiral posted:

it’s good for cutting unnecessary poo poo from your bag. see: ball retriever, umbrella, 5 wood, and 2 iron

You can take my 2 iron from my cold dead heads!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

gently caress

If you entered and haven't received the email yet, login to tickets.masters.com to see your rejection!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I have these Callaway Lamkin grips on my clubs

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015GAUIPU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mostly because they looking loving sick on my black Nike RZN Vapor Fly Pro clubs lol

But they really are nice grips. I read somewhere that you should re-grip your clubs after about 30-40 rounds which works out to once a year for me.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Brooks is my new favorite player. Golf needs to evolve if it wants to stay relevant and Brooks is the person to do that.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Farking Bastage posted:

I would not want to run into Brooks in a dark alley.

Bryson looks so much less like a dbag when he's not wearing that stupid hat of his. It doesn't look like Brooks has that much size on Bryson although it's probably the looser fitting shirt Brooks is wearing I guess.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

nerox posted:

You can't wait 3 minutes to take your swing in a fight though. :v:

I imagine Bryson doing the thing Robert Downy Jr does in Sherlock when he fights. Fully calculates all his moves out beforehand lol. Meanwhile Brooks just steps up and knocks his teeth in!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Guys,

Phil Mickelson just replied to my comment on Instagram

Who wants to be my friend now that me and Phil are besties?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Phil's social media game is so strong I love it!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DJExile posted:

yeah it's very likely some young PR flak running it, but hey it's fun

Shhhhhhhh, let me dream that Phil was randomly browsing instagram and saw my comment on that video and thought hey, I'll reply to this cool guy!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So I had a drat good round this morning

Same ball all round and the greens were in pristine condition which allowed me to have a pretty decent putting day. On 16 I sunk a 35' putt for birdie to get it back to even par and then of course I get to 4' on 18 for birdie and loving miss :( My driver was working great today and I birdied my least favorite hole on the entire course(10) so that made me feel loving great. Oh and my dad(Mark) drilled me with a ball on my arm on 18 which I'll blame missing the putt on lol. I had just parked the cart near the green and he was behind the cart pitching to the green, he goes heads up and I start to get out of the way and all of a sudden his ball drills my arm. I'm like dude, if you say heads up at least give me a chance to move! It's all good though, still happy about my round and might even frame the card/ball as it's been like 2 years since I shot even and it was a completely legit round, no mulligans/gimmies/etc.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

https://sports.yahoo.com/pga-tour-announces-revolutionary-first-144512006.html

If you have PGA Tour Live you can watch every single shot of the 2020 Players live. Not every televised shot, every shot every golfer hits over the four days. You can pick one golfer and follow them around the entire tournament if you want.

That's a pretty cool thing and I'll definitely be tuning in for at least some of the tournament to see how that feature works. It'll be nice to watch guys hit shots other than the usual drive, approach, putt, occasional bunker shot or pitch.

This is what I've wanted since they announced PGA Tour Live. loving awesome!!!!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

RCarr posted:

I got selected to buy tickets for the 2020 Ryder Cup. Is that rare or is it one of those things where everyone who puts in gets selected?

I got the same email and the consensus on reddit is that it’s not a guarantee like The Masters is and it seems everyone on reddit who entered got selected. Who knows, I’m going to try for 4 practice day tickets and 4 match day tickets if I get in. Take my pops a friend and his dad and make a week outta it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

RCarr posted:

Yea I entered in my name and my girlfriend’s name and we both got selected. My friend who entered also got selected...

Looks like it puts you in the queue with a randomly assigned number when they go on sale, so I guess you still need to be lucky enough to get a good spot.

Ya probably. Thankfully I’m on vacation next week so I’ll be sitting at my computer all morning trying to get tickets lol.

I heard they had 100k people at Whistling in 2004 so hopefully they just allow a poo poo load of tickets lol

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Playing Hilton Head National right now. Really great course and basically completely different than anything we play in Florida.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Golf channel is showing round 3 and Tiger is just about to finish the 1st hole if anyone cares.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

I wonder how many players other than Tiger still wear pin spikes, it can’t be many

I read Justin Thomas does as well.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Does anyone here use any of the stat trackers like the Arccos system? The wife wants some ideas for Xmas presents and I’d really love something that can track distances better while playing.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

torgeaux posted:

The Grint Pro. Set club, push button, hit, go to ball, hit button again. It will give you accurate stats, and you can track pretty much anything.

But, not much of a gift.

Hmm, I've been using GolfShot GPS on my iPhone for like 4 years now and I think this can do the same thing, I've never looked that much into it though. I'll check them both out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anyone else watching the Hero Challenge? Tiger is playing like a loving rock star and is 1 off the lead. Also, they just caught Reed improving his lie in a sand trap and he's about to take a few penalty strokes lol