Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Do you love the setting of Kill la Kill but can't stomach the gross, creepy bullshit? If so, then you should watch:

The Rolling Girls is the first original anime by Wit Studio, whose pedigree includes Attack on Titan and Hozuki no Reitetsu, and is being directed by Kotomi Deai (Assistant Director for Silver Spoon and Director for its second season). It takes the fast and frenetic action of Kill la Kill, mixes it with the vivid imagery of Kyousougiga, and slam dunks it all into a wonderful kaleidoscope of insanity.

PLOT

Following the Great Tokyo War 10 years ago, Japan's prefectures have been divided into independent nations. Each nation is ruled by figures called "Mosa" (Best in the subs) along with an army called "Mobs" (Rest in the subs), who are locked in an endless struggle to dominate the other nations. Four "Mob" girls from the Saitama clan are ordered by their "Mosa" to travel around Japan and mediate battles between nations as they occur.

CAST

Nozomi Moritomo
VA: Ari Ozawa

A normal girl who's family runs the "Moritomo" restaurant in Tokorozawa. She's a new recruit for the "Hiyoshi Town Propellers" vigilante group and loves her neighbor Masami Utoku like an older sister. Her childhood nickname was "Nonsuke" and her favorite food is melonpan.

Yukina Kosaka
VA: Rina Hidaka

A tone-deaf runaway girl traveling with Nozomi even when it looks like she'd rather travel alone. Speaks politely if she's aware that she's being watched. Her childhood nickname was "Yukippe" and her favorite food is sushi with sake.

Ai Hibiki
VA: Risa Taneda

An upbeat girl traveling with Nozomi, she has a one-track mind, but has a big heart and adapts quickly to different situations. Her childhood nickname was "Uu-tan" and her favorite foods are hamburgers, curry rice, and grilled meat.

Chiaya Misono
VA: Yumiri Hanamori

A fanged girl tagging along with Nozomi in search of mysterious "power stones." For some reason, she knows the childhood names of Nozomi, Yukina, and Ai. Her favorite food is Moritomo Takoyaki.

Masami Utoko
VA: Ayumi Fujimura

Maccha Green
VA: ????????

Yukari Otanashi
VA: Nozomi Furuki

Shigyo Kuniko
VA: Fuyuka Ooura

President of Tokorozawa
VA: Sayaka Ohara

STAFF
Director: Kotomi Deai
Screenplay: Yasuyuki Muto
Character Designs: tanu/Katsuhiko Kitada

Show has been licensed for streaming in the US by Funimation.

The first episode actually turned out pretty solid! There's a lot of quirky and exciting stuff being poured into this show backed up by a lot of gorgeous animation. If they can pull together a good, cohesive story to go along with the awesome and fun-to-watch setting, this could turn out to be one of the best shows of the season.

Alfalfa The Roach fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

This show is close to being interesting, but isn't quite there. Like a meal where you can tell it's missing an ingredient, but not immediately sure what is missing. It's a show that the three episode test was made for.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
If nothing else, this show has a ton of enthusiasm, which is at least enough for me to give it a few episodes to see if the plot and characters are going anywhere.

I think some people were trying to compare it to Kyousougiga? I don't really think that comparison really works, though, but Kill la Kill and maybe World Conquest Zvezda do.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yep, I'm definitely getting Zvezda-ish vibes for the setting here. It seems to be heading somewhere fun, so far.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AnacondaHL posted:

This show is close to being interesting, but isn't quite there. Like a meal where you can tell it's missing an ingredient, but not immediately sure what is missing. It's a show that the three episode test was made for.

As an animan of discerning taste, I think it's clear that what's wrong is how hard it is for a viewer to figure out a point. While they spilled a thousand words explaining why Macha Green and clothespin lady were fighting, it was so convoluted that it ended up dragging the whole thing down.

Like, if they had just shown us this cool lady and this dork fighting, we could make our own narrative in our heads and get invested in figuring out what's going on. Or, you could build up the politics and characters of the show in the first half, so when they get around to fighting we know what it's about and why it's significant. Instead, they tried do both at once, and it ended up really messy and made what was some cool looking poo poo feel really boring. And when you have cool looking poo poo but viewers feel bored? You really hosed up then.

There's a good reason why the ramen fight later in the episode was much more enjoyable, and not just because an impromptu eating contest is hilarious in and of itself. We knew who the characters are, why they were fighting, and the results made sense.

This isn't the only show that's had a bad start like this, and there's some that have eventually found a fun grove. Another show by the screenwriter, Sengoku Basara, was the same way if I remember correctly.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 20, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

As an animan of discerning taste it's clear that what's wrong is that it's hard for the viewer to figure out a point to watching. While they spilled a thousand words explaining why Macha Green and clothespin lady were fighting, it was so convoluted that it ended up dragging the whole thing down.

Like, if you just shown us this cool lady and this dork fighting, we could make our own narrative in our heads and get invested in figuring out what's going on. Or, you could build up the politics and characters of the show in the first half, so when they get around to fighting we know what it's about and why it's significant. Instead, they tried do both at once, and it ended up really messy and made what was some cool looking poo poo feel really boring. And when you have cool looking poo poo but viewers feel bored? You really hosed up then.

There's a good reason why the ramen fight later in the episode was much more enjoyable, and not just because an impromptu eating contest is hilarious in and of itself. We knew who the characters are, why they were fighting, and the results made sense.

This isn't the only show that's had a bad start like this, and there's some that have eventually found a fun grove. Another show by the screenwriter, Sengoku Basara, was the same way if I remember correctly.

Yeah this is pretty much what I thought about it as well. I think it does have potential and I'll probably see where the next episode or two goes. I feel like Green's sister is gonna be a weak link in the show since they specifically said that she's plain and average and etc etc but hopefully I'm wrong and that focus was just a trick or something.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

How the hell did Sengoku Basara have a bad start

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
What was worst about all that plot dumping at the beginning was the bit where the narration was literally "then a bunch of things happened and now prefectures are nations". Either explain it fully or don't bother dumping at all. Or at the very least don't acknowledge that you're half-assing your own plot dump. If it was meant as a joke it fell flat.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sengoku Basara has a bad start because it does a really bad job of living up to the intense, high-action nature of the series by not only expositing on the big characters in the series, but the fights take an aside to the story which is not good enough to justify that. It does not help that Sengoku Basara has one of the most rear end-kicking anime OPs and it wasn't until Episode 3 where Yukimura and Masamune are fighting like 4 different significant dudes at once that the show started living up to it and by the time season 2 rolls around it knows how to keep going with what it does strongly.

I haven't started watching this show, but I will give it a shot because I am for quirky action shows.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
The explosions in this first episode reminded me of LWA so much I had to double check that this wasn't Trigger.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i guess there was a lot of backstory in the first episode that i didnt really fully get, but i think this show looks really good and im sure it will be one if the best this season

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
This is basically Kyousogiga by way of KLK while being entirely devoid of fanservice. I think throwing us right into it with a bare-minimum explanation of the world really worked for it, and it helps that the animation and art direction is almost Kyousogiga level bonkers while keeping the world pretty well defined.

I'm in.

e: The only other thing Deai has directed is Silver Spoon S2, which he did a really good job with. Someone to watch?

Also I have a lot of respect for Wit after pulling off AoT (the good parts at least) and this amazing first episode.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 12, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I don't know why everyone keeps bringing up Kyousougiga. Except for both of them being very colourful, vibrant affairs I struggle to find any similarities between them. Even that is just is just similarities in the art style, at best.

As a first episode this was kind of weird. It had too much exposition that explained nothing and what appears to be, so far, a very confused setting. On the other hand it wasn't actively bad and I'll at least give it three episodes because I want it to turn out well.

e: Seconding that just dumping us into the opening fight and having us hit the ground running without exposition would have been better. Fill in the backstory later, and actually do a proper job of it rather than making such a mess trying to force it into two minutes of narration.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who immediately thought of what the thread title is when they said best and rest. :allears:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Considering how unique Kyousogiga's art style is, being similar to that is pretty noteworthy. There's just something about the feel of it that instantly reminded me of Kyousogiga.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Desuwa posted:

I don't know why everyone keeps bringing up Kyousougiga. Except for both of them being very colourful, vibrant affairs I struggle to find any similarities between them. Even that is just is just similarities in the art style, at best.

It's just colour palette and super pretty explosions I guess, the first thing I thought of when I started watching it was Kyousougiga then a few minutes later realised it was nothing like it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Both of them like having a vibrant color palette and extravagant explosions, so I can sort of see the comparison. So far it seems to be a fun show, which is really all I ask. Hopefully there's an interesting story in there.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Both this and Kyousogiga feel like something that started from the scribbles in the animator's notebooks in high school.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

The silky smooth animation reminds me more of Yozakura Quartet more than anything, which was Deviantart as gently caress in story. What I'm saying is that I'll stick with this unless it fucks up.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This was a good first episode.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
I had no problem with the setup. It said everything it needed to: Japan got all messed up, and now prefectures are countries. There's some law that says they have to settle disputes via 1-on-1 Best fights. Then there's a really cool fight scene. It was good. Later there's some characterization that I wish was more fight scenes, and an eating competition that was cool but that I still wish was a fight scene. Hopefully next episode will have more fight scenes.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i hope theres less fight scenes actually. or i mean, there was only like one so i guess i hope theres not a lot of them, but other cool stuff instead

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
I gave your post some consideration and realized I can't come up with anything cooler than anime fights, so I'm not sure what kind of stuff you mean.

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

Paper Triangle posted:

I gave your post some consideration and realized I can't come up with anything cooler than anime fights, so I'm not sure what kind of stuff you mean.

eating cake

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

uh, maybe RACING??

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cool stuff where all of the characters can end up happy and i dont have to feel bad. like eating cake. i watch anime to feel good, not bad

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
This seems like a huge change from the original Hatsune Miku video

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Ai Hibiki
VA: Risa Taneda

This is a pretty bad outfit. Is it actually impossible to close that jacket?

ViggyNash posted:

This is basically Kyousogiga by way of KLK while being entirely devoid of fanservice.

Uhhh.. maybe compared to KLK, sure.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The_Frag_Man posted:

Viggy has a disorder where they are unable to identify when something is supposed to be sexy.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

If Ai is the one at the end of the episode looking around really concerned about dropping people off a roller coaster she is already my favorite character - silly jacket aside.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

someone let me know when the Maccha Green character is strung up naked in a cage and getting her butt slapped

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The_Frag_Man posted:

Ok, mostly devoid, and also she was not in the first episode (at least in that getup) which is what I was judging off of.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
This needs to be somewhere in the OP:

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

The animation during the fights was pretty cool, hope the rest of the show has more of that.
Definitely giving it a few more episodes to see where it goes.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Great Rumbler posted:

Done and done.

The_Frag_Man posted:

It's kinda not great, yeah.

Can we just take a moment to appreciate how cool Masami is both in design and personality though.

I hope she doesn't disappear from the main cast too early because goddamn she works so well.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

TELL ME YOUR SECRETS CROCODILE MAN

this anime has some good animation can't wait to see more

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i like this show.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Dryzen posted:

this anime has some good animation can't wait to see more

that dog is STRUTTIN

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Great Rumbler posted:

And people said this show doesn't have any fanservice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
So far, so good. This show's looking to be the kind of colorful, high-energy comedy action that anime does so well. As nice as the action scenes are, I'm also enjoying the cheerful goofiness that everyone in the show exhibits.

Dryzen posted:

That's clearly an alligator. Look at the snout. Crocodiles don't have snouts shaped like that. Bailing that, I get the feeling that we're never going to get an explanation as to why this guy is wearing a sideways crocodile alligator mask, and I'm okay with that.

The Devil Tesla posted:

Viggy Most of the people who post on ADTRW hasve a disorder where they are unable to identify when something is supposed to be sexy.

Bloody prudes, the whole lot of you.

• Locked thread