Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Fairly solid Raw. The matches weren't all that great but segment-wise it was pretty balanced for the roster and went so far as to make Rollins look like he actually belongs in the main event, by standing up to Brock of all people.

Also with all the Macho Man talk, a reminder that this is a thing that exists:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bifmj1O3D24

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

oatgan posted:

wwe actually said at the beginning of the show "we've received word that WWE MIGHT be announcing Randy Savage as the first member of the HOF Class of 2015" and even made a video of wrestlers doing Macho Man impressions to promote this rumor but would not confirm that Randy Savage was being inducted in the hall of fame until 2 hours later

It was that he was "expected" to be inducted, and they didn't show any video of him, so I'm wondering if there was a call they were waiting for.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

TheJoker138 posted:

Basically exactly what they did with them at NXT.

A point they utterly failed to grasp with Emma.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Paige's persona isn't hard to grasp, and her debut was phenomenal. Emma's actually had to take time to build in NXT.

Everblight posted:

with 3 shows (charitably counting SmackDown!! as a show where plots get advanced) until the Royal Rumble, this is shaping up to be a :geno: card.

To be fair, the move to Thursdays probably means they're going to try to draw in viewers for at least the first couple weeks, like Bryan's return to the ring.
Then again, it's also main evented by

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Don't worry, Roman will do one next week too, in which he'll reference Deputy Dawg.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If 40% is the over/under, I say over.

Where is Sheamus, btw? Is he injured? He hasn't been around since November.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
2011 was a fun Rumble, where they just had Punk come in early and then The Nexus threw everyone out one at a time to protect him. This worked until Cena entered, of course.

Delsaber posted:

Cesaro's best theme by a mile was a rework of Dean Malenko's.

He actually used Malenko's theme in FCW, so it was a straight up re-use originally.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
HHH wanted WWE to go back to bullet-pointed promos, didn't he? I wonder how far he got with that proposal.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
You know what's even more baffling about JBL making GBS threads on Ascension promos: It's not like great tag teams in the 80s fought other great teams every week either. LOD and Demolition were squashing jobbers on Wrestling Challenge and Superstars all the time back in the day too. So it's not just intentionally burying them on commentary, it's also WWE's usual revisionist history.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

StarkRavingMad posted:

Handed to him about two minutes before he goes out there. With a side comment of "we need you to stretch it to about 10 minutes."

Also do it in a high-pitched babytalk voice.

That was honestly the worst part for me.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If they do go with DB winning the Rumble and going to Mania again, him returning now might be exactly what Roman Reigns needed, in a roundabout way: Another year to establish himself and get ready for the main event. Because he sure as hell isn't in that position yet.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That leaves the question of what you do with Reigns at WM. Build up to Reigns vs Rusev?

I'm still really hoping for a Shield triple threat. It wouldn't be hard to build tension between Ambrose and Reigns given their history of Rollins being the only one who could unite them, especially if he's actively sowing those seeds now instead.

Which probably means it won't happen because it's good writing, but it would be a good way to get Reigns a big win AND it would be something the crowd would want to see.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Luigi Thirty posted:

Stephanie was interviewed recently about Fast Lane. She said that they cut the Elimination Chamber because now that modern arenas all have enormous hanging scoreboards it's impossible to hang something the size of the Chamber just about anywhere they'd want to run it. The whole thing is solid steel and it weighs upwards of 10 tons which really limits where they can use it, logistically.

(also probably budget cuts but she didn't say that)

And yet out of the two matches they could potentially cut, they still somehow want Hell in a Cell.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Don't like, because Dean would turn heel and yeah. Besides, no it's not good writing, right now Dean and Roman are still bros and barring some dastardly act by one to the other there's no reason they'd fight each other before taking out Seth 2 on 1 which is terrible logic for any triple threat.

It'd be face/tweener/heel dynamic. Roman's not over enough that people would hate Ambrose for fighting him. You wouldn't have to do much for this, just make the Authority book it and then have a bunch of "accidental" spots where Roman and Ambrose can't work together in a team anymore. This is WWE Booking 101 since like, the 80s.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I watched the Intercontinental Champions episode of Countdown, and I'm very pleased to see Cody so high on the list. I wouldn't agree with the #1 spot being who it is, but they reel it back at the end with the interviewers, basically saying "It wasn't Honky Tonk Man...but it's totally Honky Tonk Man."

CapnAndy posted:

I'd mark for that pretty hard, honestly, and I feel like "the man who brought down Rusev" would actually go a long way to making Reigns look unironically strong.

They could make his laser tag vest Amurrica colors.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MassRafTer posted:

I think he didn't want it, then decided he needed it, then went with therapy to get it. I don't know who was behind the therapy but he always seemed pretty much against additional surgeries.

Don't you watch Raw it was some girl he boned and then Brie slapped her and got arrested.

Hace posted:

It was really weird seeing Rusev have a competitive match with Justin Gabriel of all people

Welcome to C-shows, where the good workers are allowed to work and the points don't matter.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

oatgan posted:

it was taped before they decided to write him insufferably

Insufferable succotash.

Angular Landbury posted:

Gilligan's Island is actually Purgatory.

NXT is the Dharma Initiative?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Kukash posted:

Yeah but at least Sean Bean is willing to do the job in every film/tv show he is in.

Have him guest host Raw so Roman Reigns can be his best friend.

Have them both sit in a skybox in bean bag chairs watching the show together.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
No way would Roman Reigns ever attack a fellow bean.

He would have to die at the hands of Roman's enemy so Roman could get revenge.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Hoss Corncave posted:

He didn't die in Ronin. He was just made to leave the group early when it turned out he was not what he said he was and was talking out of his arse.

That said, a WWE films remake of Ronin would be both interesting, and most likely a war crime.

Can it be called Ronin Reigns?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Perdido posted:

Also, you're a goddamned idiot, if you think there's some intricate conspiracy or failure of the justice system to protect Heath Slater.

The Ascension got the charges dismissed with their Illuminati powers.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gonz posted:

Rollins is becoming a pro level heel as of late; it's beautiful. Him saying "JOHNNNNNNN" 20-30 times several weeks ago was just so grating and effective.

He's been great lately, though I wish he'd do something about his fake laugh. It doesn't sound convincing in the slightest and it gives me Final Fantasy X flashbacks.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Meltzer says it was Lanny Poffo's idea to have Hogan induct Randy Savage. He said underneath it all they really did love each other. So there's that.

Benne posted:

I dunno, I kinda love it in that goofy wrestling way. Rollins is so good at getting people to hate him, I wonder if he's been watching Edge segments and taking notes. Never thought the dude had it in him during his Shield run.

I've seen a ton of people compare him to Edge in the past couple months. It rules.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Bryan's done the dive through the ropes to the floor twice this week, and both times I've noticed he's done a 'soft' version of the way he used to. On Raw he did a midair turn so he didn't go headfirst into the barricade, on Smackdown he didn't project as far so he fell short of the barricade. He's working safer and smarter, and it shows.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gonz posted:

Vince McMahon will still be in control of the company and the booking of the company come 2040. The man is the Peter Weyland of pro wrestling. He'll do whatever it takes to live forever.

RIP Vince McMahon; killed 40 years from now by an Engineer on LV-223

Would that make Yutani the CEO of Bushiroad?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Konnor: "We will challenge any tag team from any era!"
Viktor: "The Road Warriors! Demolition!"
(music hits)
"Yo, you dealin' wit da X-Factor!"

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

St Evan Echoes posted:

Scotty 2 Hotty was great and no one should feel bad about loving him :colbert:

Brian Christopher, on the other hand, somehow got gassed on the way to cut a promo against his dad.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Swap out Hall for Triple H and this is the single biggest collection of top wrestling politickers ever assembled.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Roman "Looney Tunes" Reigns isn't ready now,

I believe you mean Roman "Bean Enthusiast" Reigns.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

By the way, remember when the IC title used to be specifically for this purpose, guys who were approaching the top but not quite there yet? The championships aren't on the same spectrum anymore. There's a complete divide between the main event and the midcard. The same few guys stay in the main event scene while the midcard is nothing but parity booking where nobody ever gets anywhere. It seems like these days you're either in midcard hell, or rushed to the top. There's no natural progression, it's like there are two separate rosters. We're a long way from WrestleMania 6 when IC champ Warrior was booked in a match with World champ Hogan. These days it's like sure, let's have the IC champion lose to Sin Cara, whatever.

I've said for a while now that Roman would be the perfect person to revitalize the credibility of the IC title back to the "next in line" level. If they're going to push him as the next big star but he isn't quite ready, give him a nice lengthy run with a minor title, because they won't have him job all the time. It needs to be a "we're currently protecting this guy" belt.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

TheJoker138 posted:

No, it's a bunch of doomsaying with no real evidence backing it up. Surgery probably fixed most of his issues, and the physical therapy he got along with time handled the residual effects. Until proven otherwise he's probably fine.

The "Daniel Bryan is a farm" joke came out of this exact brand of paranoia last year when everyone was doomsaying that his career was over and he was probably going to die in surgery or some poo poo.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Argument Stadium > Hyperbole Pagoda

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Writer Cath posted:

But John Cena had to get that rental car zinger in there or he would have lost all credibility.

Punk literally said the same thing in 2011 as champ and nobody gave him poo poo for it and they kept giving ADR his cars. That line is nowhere near as damaging as anyone thinks.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I forgot Brock used to do that thing where he'd stare at someone, then roll his shoulder forward and then hit a wicked charging clothesline from a standing position. It was early in his first run but I remember the move made it into a bunch of WWE games.

Heavy Metal posted:

And call me crazy, I hope we get a Sting/Undertaker moment during the Rumble match. Maybe I'm aiming a bit high here, but hey.
I'd like if they didn't mention Taker at all, had Sting show up sporadically to taunt HHH, then have Sting/HHH at Wrestlemania. Sting wins, then GONG/blackout, staredown, setup for next year.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Saw this in my recommended videos and got a chuckle out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItPfRpcs8fI

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Between the new Miz shirt and that Big Show "Strength" hoodie from a while ago, someone in the WWE design department is clearly a KMFDM cover art fan.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

StarkRavingMad posted:

Has Daniel Bryan's running knee ever been officially referred to as "Knee Plus" by WWE? I've seen people say that name would be cool for it in threads on here, but I don't think I've heard it called that on the show. That's what they call it in the new Immortals game now.

I believe the official onscreen name for it is The Knee The Knee Bryan Hit The Knee.

Same naming style as The Gator Roll Designed To Disorient Your Opponent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

I can't even look at this picture. It's too sweet.

• Locked thread