Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

phthalocyanine posted:

Cast iron is actually terrible at evenly conducting heat. If you've got a range with burners that can get the entire surface, preheating in the oven might not be necessary, but if you've got a piddly gas burner like me, and you need that sucker to be hot all across the surface, preheating it in the oven is the way to go unless you want (or don't care if) the center of whatever you're searing to be much more seared than the edges.
Seriously, when people are ready to accept that cast iron sucks for a lot of things, aluminum will be there waiting for them.

I just picked this up today for thirty bucks. Aluminum is superior for cooking with in almost every way. Heat distribution, cost, preheat time, no having to season, not being a huge pan sperg, weight, you name it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it
You know if you eat out at any restaurant there is almost a 100% chance you ate something cooked in an alumimum skillet or pot, right?

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

d3rt posted:

Will I be able to get an amazing sear and crust on my steak in an aluminium pan?
Yes and and arguably a better one since the heat will be spread more evenly.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

shankerz posted:

Crack is cheaper
And aluminum is even cheaper :zoid:

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Paper With Lines posted:

Did you see how the female part of the equation had nothing to do with the steak?
This is probably the gooniest thing I have ever seen in all my years on this forum.

Plus those two people are making 9 pans a day. Of course they're not comparable to the $20 Lodge pan that's made in a large factory that shits out hundreds of pans a day. The pans may not be worth $300, but the cost to produce them is undoubtedly higher than it costs Lodge to make a pan.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Paper With Lines posted:

So what does that have to do with your continued insistence that everyone in this thread should stop using cast iron and use aluminium instead?

Also, I meant that the woman in the AB commercial seemed to be a vegetarian. If that is the "gooniest thing I have ever seen in all my years on this forum" then good for you, I spose.
I think you're putting words in my mouth, but I'm not certain because I can't hear you over the sizzling of my even, steady fond

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

But Not Tonight posted:

Hurray, just what the cast iron thread needs, more aluminum chat!

:frogout:
Someday all our castware will be able to live together in harmony,

But Not Tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

GreaseGunner posted:

Yeah I always used a fry/candy thermometer but it was old so I don't know how accurate it could have been. My oven always seemed to cook things way too hot anyway. The fish would always come out way too oily along with the fries, but when I did the same recipe with an actual fryer and the same oil they came out fine.
You can always test to see if your fry oil is hot enough by testing it with a small handful of ice cubes.