Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Cast iron goons, I need your help. I put my Lodge 10 incher thru the oven self-cleaning a couple weeks ago, for only 2.5 hours. This produced quite a pile of brown particles on the sheet of foil I set below it. But the pan still had a tinge of brown. I seasoned it anyway and tried it out, but wasn't happy with it.

On Thursday morning I put it in the oven and did the self-clean for 4 hours, I did this in the morning before I went to work and didn't get home until late that evening (I know, risk of fire and all). When I got home my roommate had taken it out and set it aside, so I didn't see the result it produced as he cleaned up any mess it left behind.

It was still pretty rusty looking so I put some water & vinegar in it and let it sit for over an hour. After that it looks even worse:

http://imgur.com/a/hSwF7

So what's the next step here, for getting the rust out? Is electrolysis my only hope? I don't have the resources for that but I could see about getting them if it's my best choice.

I did pick up a fresh quart of white vinegar. I also got an 8oz bottle of organic flax oil from Whole Foods to season with. Just wondering what my best next step here is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hexigrammus posted:

What Biscuit Joiner joiner said. You`ll need to go after that rust with something abrasive. Vinegar might help but that rust will need to be scrubbed off with wire brushes, sand paper, steel wool, or green scrubbing pads. Dry and oil immediately or you`ll see where the name `flash rust` comes from.

Well I scrubbed white vinegar into it with a green scouring pad, rinsed off and set it on a hot stove burner, and it came out more rusty than before. Tried it twice, same result. It's back in the oven for another self-clean cycle, 3 hours.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Well poo poo, only 1:54 to go.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Tried scrubbing with steel wool and white vinegar, but I'm probably not strong enough as it made very little difference. I've got the pan soaking in 4 cups white vinegar + 4 cups water for now. I have friends I can talk to about the methods involving tools.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

my turn in the barrel posted:

Post a pic, light surface rust will wipe off with vinegar...

I already took that advice, I was told to stop that.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Okay, so a while back I picked up these:

Borrowed a drill and went to town on it. Here's how it turned out:

That's after a good couple hours at it. Am I right in thinking that's rust I see in some of the pics there?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Okay thanks goons, looking forward to making my skillet great again :buddy:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Hamburger House. It rolls off the tongue.

Welcome to McDonaldLand!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Merry Christmas, cast iron goons! Can anyone identify what maker and vintage my mom's pan is?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks, it has three notches.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Santa was good to me 🙂

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

gently caress IT

SEND IT BACK

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If anybody's in the market for it, woot.com has some enameled cast iron for sale: http://home.woot.com/plus/cuisinart-the-legend?ref=hm_cnt_wp_6

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Biscuit Joiner posted:

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Merry Christmas, cast iron goons! Can anyone identify what maker and vintage my mom's pan is?

Without seeing the rest of the bottom of the pan and the handle --
I believe that is a Lodge pan. If that is the only notch in the heat ring then it is from the 1930's. If there are three notches in the heat ring it is going to be from 1940's.
-- Is my best estimate

So I told my mom tonight that I want to season this thing, and she let me take it. She said she could never get a successful season on it, but I'll have to ask her how she was doing it. In any case, I'm going to strip it with the self-cleaning cycle either overnight or early in the morning, then season and reseason throughout the day (with flaxseed oil) as I'm working from home. May do the same for my grill pan, too. Anyway, here are some "before" pics of the antique (and yes, I'll have to teach her not to clean it via soaking):

http://imgur.com/a/sfUKI

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

After a cycle in the self-clean, this thing came out pretty brown:

I gave it a good wipe down with a dry green scrubber, then a quick rinse under the tap and onto a hot burner to dry. Also wiped with a paper towel while on the burner:

Next step: Gonna obtain a drill (borrow or buy cheap) and use my brushes to grind out as much rust as I can. Then the seasoning begins.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Wish I could read those prices. Got any bigger photos?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sweet, thanks!

Barrel, are the prices shown before or after the 50% off?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks! Tempted to make the trip from Chicago tomorrow.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So last night I obtained a drill and went to work on my mother's vintage skillet. After the better part of an hour the cooking surface and inner walls look pretty good, but the rest of the pan still has a reddish hue. Am I right in thinking I should go another round with the drill on it? These pics are after a quick rinse off and drying over a hot burner, I'm rather gun-shy about using water for more than that (or vinegar at all) after the flash rust problems I was having a while back with my own pan:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Stopped by the sale and picked up two fajita pans, the last 6.5" skillet, the last 13.5" skillet, and a 10" griddle. Not bad for $67 out the door after tax.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So I got my big 13" pan, first thing I did was strip it with the self-clean and then season it half a dozen times with flaxseed oil. So far so good, my mom wants me to bring it tomorrow for its inaugural cook with birthday steaks :3:

I also got an 11 pound turkey just before Christmas which is still in my freezer. I've never cooked one before and I know very little about it. I was thinking of cooking it next Friday night (I'd start the thaw Wednesday morning).

I got a vertical turkey roaster so I was going to stand it up on that, in the big pan, in the oven. Does this sound like a good idea, or is there a problem with this plan? Will the drippings in the pan be viable for a gravy?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I figured I should ask elsewhere too, but didn't see a turkey thread in particular. Anyway, just wanted to make sure that this is a good use of the cast iron, and that there's no problem using it this way.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Okay, so this application of the cast iron doesn't seem to be a problem. Got it, thanks.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That new grill pan I got for Christmas has a crack in it. Lodge is sending me a new one and told me to dispose of this cracked one. Just curious if there's any way to fix it? Here's a picture and yes, the crack does go through to the other side:

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 13, 2017

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm giving it to a friend of mine who is a professional metalworker, if he can fix it he gets a free pan - but he's smart enough to know if it's fixed or not.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Drifter posted:

I'd actually suggest you buy a cast iron skillet (I don't know what they're called, the long thing that you cook lots of pancakes on)

Griddle

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

ColdPie posted:

Ask in general questions or just start a new thread. IMO we have too many megathreads and chat threads and not enough little "here's what I'm doing, what do you think" threads.

Took your advice: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806056

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Drifter posted:

Salt is for seasoning. :colbert:

Which is what cast iron needs.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Cast iron goons (I know there are several of you!), this is my roommate's Dutch oven. I got him the trivet insert for Christmas, however I think he's given up on this as a lost cause. How would he (or I) go about cleaning this thing and restoring it to working order?

If it helps, I do have the Lodge scrubbing brush:

I also have a chain mail square.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I did as FGR advised and now it looks like this:

Let water simmer in it, are you sure? I'm a little gun-shy of long exposure to water, don't want to rust something that isn't mine.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

I tried (re)seasoning my cast iron deep pan (not exactly sure what you'd call it, looks like this:
)

turns out i either used too much oil, too low a temperature in the oven (~180c instead of 200c+), or not long enough in the oven, because the seasoning now looks a gross sorta yellow/brown and is all sticky.

Anyway I won't be doing that when I re-season it, but what's the best way to strip off the sticky poo poo prior to re-seasoning?

I read about using kosher salt (I presume sea salt is the EU equivalent?) + kitchen roll, and this sort of worked on the inside base of the pan, but just the kitchen roll simply disintegrates when you do this on the side of the pan.

Also! Is there any special technique for seasoning lids?

I believe that's a Dutch oven. You should be shooting for 260 Celsius (500 Fahrenheit). Best way to strip off and start from scratch? IMO, put it in the oven and run the self-clean. Lids are cast iron same as the rest so nothing special there, probably best to leave it with the seasoning it shipped with but if you already stripped it then season it the same as any other CI cookware.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

hogmartin posted:

The best are the ones at highway rest stops, which I have never seen in use. Presumably at some point there were people who would load a cooler with hamburgers and hot dogs, pack the kids in the car in the early morning, and drive 30 miles to enjoy a leisurely cookout 100 yards from an interstate highway and 20 miles from anything else.

"Look, kids! Another convoy of semis!"

"Ooooh!, a FedEx triple trailer!"

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Does/did Lodge make skillets without their name stamped in the helper handle?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yes, already did mine a couple times.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Stalizard posted:

I just bought a small logo Griswold number 9 for personal reasons and it came today! It smells like holy gently caress cigarettes and whoever tried to season it last hosed it up baaaad with like obvious splotches and big pools of grease on whatever side their stove slanted.

I can fix the seasoning no problem, but how the hell do I get the cigarette smoke out of it? I was just gonna set it on some charcoal until it all burned off and redo it from scratch but if you guys have any easier ideas I'm all ears!

The odor is likely absorbed in the seasoning. I'd put it in the over and run it thru a couple hours of self-cleaning, which will evaporate all the seasoning. It will smell like both evaporated oil and cigarette smoke when you do this, but once it's gone it's gone for good.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Pics? Congrats btw

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yeah they're meant to span two burners.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Today's email from Brad's Deals has a deal on 3 skillets for $17, plus a $10 mail-in rebate (must download the form):

https://www.bradsdeals.com/p/371309?c_id=3474&u_id=67424549&d=110118

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Flaxseed, though I've also heard (I think here) that for really old (and typically smooth) pieces that lard is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Enameled cast iron doesn't need seasoning, and still gets you the heat retention properties of cast iron plus you can cook up a tomato sauce without worrying about the acidity.

Not really sure how it compares in apples-to-apples usage with regular CI cookware though.