Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Those On My Left posted:

why are you suss on gaspy? Is it the high rate of posting?

Partly that and partly all the vague theorizing in it without having come up with anything more solid. He might just be coming off weird as a newbie though, but hey it worked for Anidav before. So it's just a pretty mild ping right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ooh, speaking of Anidav though, scrolling up, he looks very slightly suss again cause "no lynch" does NOT mean "just chill out", at least in my book. Wanting to likely spare a townie by not going through with a lynch is great. But not going through with discussion or voting or anything to make the day have any worth makes it a bit of a wasted exercise.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
I agree that Gough is looking shady, but I'm standing by no first day lynch. There's just not enough to go on.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
No one is going to act suss enough for much of a shot in d1. There's a 80% chance we will hit a town if we kill today. You guys are acting on day one how you should be acting in day two.

black_tangled
Aug 2, 2004

Those On My Left posted:

people yet to post on D1:

black_tangled
Harold Krell
Plotterboy

Been watching with interest but still working it all out.

Seems it's in our best interest to avoid a d1 lynch so suspicious of those quick to vote.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Being suspicious of me for posting a lot would be a bit like being suspicious of me for breathing really. I'm petrified that the first game I get scum I'm going to clam up and give myself away in seconds.

Theory: beet is not scum he's just being a shitstirrer. I think beet plays scum smart and being a massive todger day one and picking on people isn't some crafty double bluff but him having fun being a dickhead.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
I have my suspicions but a) I'm new and think I might be prone to falling for whatever the standard plays are and b) I think though loudly announcing who I'm suspicious of might be rollicking good fun to watch, it'll actually hamper my observations. Sorry about that bif, I promise that if I notice anything solid I'll put it out there.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Asphyxious posted:

Being suspicious of me for posting a lot would be a bit like being suspicious of me for breathing really. I'm petrified that the first game I get scum I'm going to clam up and give myself away in seconds.

Theory: beet is not scum he's just being a shitstirrer. I think beet plays scum smart and being a massive todger day one and picking on people isn't some crafty double bluff but him having fun being a dickhead.

:mad:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Hey, don't argue, he's making the point that you're not scum, just a dickhead

The last part of which everyone knows is true

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:

Asphyxious posted:

I have my suspicions but a) I'm new and think I might be prone to falling for whatever the standard plays are and b) I think though loudly announcing who I'm suspicious of might be rollicking good fun to watch, it'll actually hamper my observations. Sorry about that bif, I promise that if I notice anything solid I'll put it out there.

Quite frankly, this just seems like a bunch of backtracking and qualifying in order to make themselves look less suspicious. You have GOT to make a better point the next time you post.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

tithin posted:

What does that say about old dickheads ? :smith:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I'm pushing a lynch to see how people react.

Mills time and time again had told us waiting for data and relying on night actions is not the best way to progress. Sitting on our hands means we stop talking about posting, stop talking about voting and stop voting - three which would give us the data that some of you seem worried take action without.

A day one lynch has a what, roughly one in five chance of getting scum out of the gate just by luck? That's not as impossible as tithin, who didn't like people talking about voting but would rather talk about not voting, would have you believe. Not saying your scummy tithin I'm just saying I don't think sitting back and doing nothing helps town as much as you all think it does.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

tithin posted:

It wasn't arguing it was me responding in an amusing way.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I think you're misreading what I'm saying, though not on purpose.

The corollary to the "no lynch day 1" rule should be "unless you have a damned good reason to" which we seldom do day 1.

Matthew Beet posted:

A day one lynch has a what, roughly one in five chance of getting scum out of the gate just by luck? That's not as impossible as tithin, who didn't like people talking about voting but would rather talk about not voting, would have you believe. Not saying your scummy tithin I'm just saying I don't think sitting back and doing nothing helps town as much as you all think it does.

Conversely, that's a 4/5 chance of hitting town, which aids scum.

Also, I wasn't getting lovely about you guys voting, I was getting lovely about the name calling and stuff straight off the bat :v:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Actually waiting for night actions is dumb. What if no one comes out tomorrow and says "I'm a cop and x is scum"? Are we gonna kick back and wait and do the same poo poo we did today?

At best you'll be able to say "oh look at that dead townie who got night killed, glad I know they are town now!" how does that help town? The scum will night kill someone they're not interacting with and they'll get a free kill and we will have nothing else to show for it.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

tithin posted:

Also, I wasn't getting lovely about you guys voting, I was getting lovely about the name calling and stuff straight off the bat :v:

That's the fun part?

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Harold Krell posted:

Quite frankly, this just seems like a bunch of backtracking and qualifying in order to make themselves look less suspicious. You have GOT to make a better point the next time you post.

couldn't agree more.

I've been suss on Asphyxious for a while. he's posting a shitload and not much of it has been particularly valuable.

Bifauxnen is also suss on Asphyxious. so now's a good time to remind you all that Bif won the last game for town almost single-handedly through her scum-reading abilities. so I'd always listen to Bif. I mean I guess she could be scum but her posting currently is identical to her last game posting - no white noise, a few paragraphs per post, posting theories, putting her voting where he mouth is

(Bif is even more suss on Gough but I don't know wtf to make of the Gough/Beet slapfight, plus I am suss about how people have been piling onto Gough)

all that said I am still not sure it's the right move to lynch on day 1.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
I favour day one lynches atm because otherwise the first days sucks and is boring

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

I would put the myub/hambeet slapfight up to them being fuckin' myub and fuckin' hambeet.

Id vote the lot of you if i could, but yeah, fixie is being very odd.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

hey plopperbot is here

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

Those On My Left posted:

couldn't agree more.

I've been suss on Asphyxious for a while. he's posting a shitload and not much of it has been particularly valuable.

Bifauxnen is also suss on Asphyxious. so now's a good time to remind you all that Bif won the last game for town almost single-handedly through her scum-reading abilities. so I'd always listen to Bif. I mean I guess she could be scum but her posting currently is identical to her last game posting - no white noise, a few paragraphs per post, posting theories, putting her voting where he mouth is

(Bif is even more suss on Gough but I don't know wtf to make of the Gough/Beet slapfight, plus I am suss about how people have been piling onto Gough)

all that said I am still not sure it's the right move to lynch on day 1.

See, that's what I was thinking too. A lot of that person's posting has been nothing but rubbish, and I figure a lot of the stuff this person's been saying is going to be regretful too. That's the worst part.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Lynch or no lynch, either way there should be more talking. Voting is great! Slapfights are great! Right now there's a lot of "hmmmm let's just wait and see" going on, but waiting to see what? It looks bad to me, but it applies to like half of everybody right now so it's annoying cause it's not really a way to distinguish between anybody.

Harold Krell posted:

See, that's what I was thinking too. A lot of that person's posting has been nothing but rubbish, and I figure a lot of the stuff this person's been saying is going to be regretful too. That's the worst part.

:confused:

##vote this person

by that I mean

##vote Harold Krell

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Matthew Beet posted:

hey plopperbot is here

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

Lynch or no lynch, either way there should be more talking. Voting is great! Slapfights are great! Right now there's a lot of "hmmmm let's just wait and see" going on, but waiting to see what? It looks bad to me, but it applies to like half of everybody right now so it's annoying cause it's not really a way to distinguish between anybody.

:confused:

##vote this person

by that I mean

##vote Harold Krell

What is your rationale behind this? I've never spoken to you before and you treat me like poo poo right off the bat?

##vote Bifauxnen

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

this:

Bifauxnen posted:

Lynch or no lynch, either way there should be more talking.
and this:

Matthew Beet posted:

The scum will night kill someone they're not interacting with and they'll get a free kill and we will have nothing else to show for it.
are the exact reasons why i tried to draw out the silent parties into posting more. it hasn't really worked. there are also people who've made exactly 1 D1 post and then disappeared again, eg mithranderp and small keating

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Harold Krell posted:

What is your rationale behind this? I've never spoken to you before and you treat me like poo poo right off the bat?

##vote Bifauxnen

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Well he just OMGUS'd. This guy seems like a bit of a dick.

I mainly voted for muyb because I don't like him, but I don't like this guy either.

##vote Harold Krell

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

Those On My Left posted:

That's merely hearsay. You can't use hearsay to support an infallible argument.

Splode posted:

Well he just OMGUS'd. This guy seems like a bit of a dick.

I mainly voted for muyb because I don't like him, but I don't like this guy either.

##vote Harold Krell

The game just started and you already presume me to be a bad person? I only voted for that guy because I wanted to defend myself.

In fact, voting on the basis of only whether some one is good or bad in the real life does not correlate to some one to being someone who is either mafia or not mafia in the game.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Harold Krell posted:

##vote Bifauxnen

Don't vote for the person who just voted for you that looks suss. If you're town and you don't have any reason to believe they're scum you wouldn't vote for them, would you? That doesn't help town at all. What you do is try and get their reasoning out of it, which she has sort of explained, she's poking randomly into the dirt trying to stir up an ant hill. That's why you responding that way isn't the best.

Splode's very quick to jump on two lynches now I noticed. Not tickling my radar like a few of the other posters here today but it was just worth mentioning

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Those On My Left posted:

are the exact reasons why i tried to draw out the silent parties into posting more. it hasn't really worked. there are also people who've made exactly 1 D1 post and then disappeared again, eg mithranderp and small keating

Yeah, this is pretty much what I'm doing and I'm surprised it worked twice in a row. It's not to "treat you like poo poo" or anything Howard.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

Matthew Beet posted:

Don't vote for the person who just voted for you that looks suss. If you're town and you don't have any reason to believe they're scum you wouldn't vote for them, would you? That doesn't help town at all. What you do is try and get their reasoning out of it, which she has sort of explained, she's poking randomly into the dirt trying to stir up an ant hill. That's why you responding that way isn't the best.

Splode's very quick to jump on two lynches now I noticed. Not tickling my radar like a few of the other posters here today but it was just worth mentioning

What? If that person was trying to intentionally stir up trouble in the first place, wouldn't they be more likely to be mafia? I don't see how defending myself is a more suspicious action than a person trying to stir up an anthill.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Matthew Beet posted:

I like bif's reasoning and don't believe in sitting around waiting to die. Also lol at harold doubling down on the omgus.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Harold Krell posted:

What? If that person was trying to intentionally stir up trouble in the first place, wouldn't they be more likely to be mafia? I don't see how defending myself is a more suspicious action than a person trying to stir up an anthill.

They're stirring up trouble to view reactions.

The supposition being that in doing so they may root out nervous scum who may overreact.

This is of course, if you believe her to be town, otherwise, she's scum trying to stir up reactions and make other people think she's scum hunting.

Depends on how deep the particular rabbit hole you subscrube to goes.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Harold Krell posted:

Why do you need to defend yourself? If your town you shouldn't be freaking out so much honestly. If you're vanilla town you're literally the equivalent of a pawn in a game of chess.

The smarter move would be to ask them why, take the high road and don't pull a 'NO, YOU SUCK' and vote them back.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

tithin posted:

The supposition being that in doing so they may root out nervous scum who may overreact.

This is of course, if you believe her to be town, otherwise, she's scum trying to stir up reactions and make other people think she's scum hunting.

Either way, it's data for the auspol data god :black101:

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

tithin posted:

uh, you can't subscribe to a rabbit hole

##vote tithin

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

massive slip up from scumlord tithin there imho

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
heads up im going to a mates birthday party tonight and he intends to make sure we get "white girl wasted" so I'm probably not going to be able to make an informed decision later in the evening.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Matthew Beet posted:

Either way, it's data for the auspol data god :black101:

Noted IT Administrator Matthew Beet :tinfoil:

But yeah, you're right overall

Those On My Left posted:

uh, you can't subscribe to a rabbit hole

##vote tithin

Um excuse u, I clearly said "subscrubed" to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Lol jokes aside tits is pretty fence sitty this game.

Gaspy is white noise posting so not out of character... Still I opinions though but it is his first game ever.

Anidav is always suss.

Splode jumped on two votes quickly. Not that big a deal but worth mentioning.

TOML you are trying to hard to post without it being white noise, what tripped you up last game, it's kinda like you're trying too hard.

Bif is all over the shop but I can't fault her reasoning because it's kind of my approach atm.

Harold from neighbours is freaking out too hard about one vote. Maybe he saw bouncers ghost?

Muyb freaked out a bit too.

Umm a lot of people trying to fly under the radar as well. Post more!

• Locked thread