Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
List the players dork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Bifauxnen posted:

You think so? Most of the information I gleaned last game was from throwing votes around and seeing who flinched.

##vote Gough Suppressant

holy poo poo that's aggressive, bif.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Asphyxious posted:

I forget doesn't quoting votes count as votes?

nope votefinder is smart enough to handle it, I believe

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Gough Suppressant posted:

For a guy who cast the first vote, Matthew Beet sure seems to be bent out of shape about having a vote cast against him

Immediately trying to fling poo poo on day 1 as scum seems like a bad tactic, if one were scum surely it would be better to delay (and wait for night killing time) than to immediately throw accusations and draw attention to oneself.

For that reason, I am not very suspicious of hambeet, but I'm becoming more and more suspicious of you.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

This is pretty dumb even for an engineer

sick burn bottleshop boy

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Wow muyb you're really taking that single vote against you badly! I know it'd be upsetting to get lynched on day 1 when you get to be scum, but there's no need to be petty.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

thatbastardken posted:

anyway as bikies I think we should act with sudden violence and lynch someone asap

##vote Gough Suppressant

This could be scum keen to bandwagon, but y'know what? gently caress muyb.

##vote Gough Suppressant

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Don't have excel installed, so lists will have to do.

People who said wait, don't lynch on day 1
GSC points finger at beet, doesn't vote
anidav (chill out)
bif voted fast, then backed off and unvoted

people who said day 1 lynch
tithin ("smart scum will play cool and let us hang ourselves")
beet encouraged to go with your gut (and voted for muyb)
I voted for muyb
TOML (points out that, according to mills, refusing to take a side is scummy)
TBK said gun it

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Well he just OMGUS'd. This guy seems like a bit of a dick.

I mainly voted for muyb because I don't like him, but I don't like this guy either.

##vote Harold Krell

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Matthew Beet posted:

Don't vote for the person who just voted for you that looks suss. If you're town and you don't have any reason to believe they're scum you wouldn't vote for them, would you? That doesn't help town at all. What you do is try and get their reasoning out of it, which she has sort of explained, she's poking randomly into the dirt trying to stir up an ant hill. That's why you responding that way isn't the best.

Splode's very quick to jump on two lynches now I noticed. Not tickling my radar like a few of the other posters here today but it was just worth mentioning

I like bif's reasoning and don't believe in sitting around waiting to die. Also lol at harold doubling down on the omgus.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Harold Krell posted:

What? When did I ever freak out? You critique everyone else yet never dole out this phrase to anyone, so it's very peculiar that you reserve this "honor" for me.

Coincidentally, this list happens to omit your name. Would you care to elaborate?

You're freaking out right now.

Also, are you an idiot? Why would he be suspicious about himself?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

SKY COQ posted:

Ugh, busy day with cleaning up after the trip and introducing a cat to the apartment.

Off to a BBQ now so won't be able to follow the thread for a bit without being That Guy at the BBQ, so going to ##vote Harold Krell just because:

Votefinder has not recognised your vote, presumably because you didn't bold it.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

tithin posted:

I'm surprised he signed up for an Auspol game tbh, I've only ever seen him play in one game (where he was picked in spite of people knowing he was town because they found him irritating) and sign up for a second one and be refused due to the game I mentioned.

Shame we didn't know this sooner.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

That's worked, enjoy your bbq!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

:holymoley: you are bad at this.

Harold Krell posted:

What? That was like ten posts ago.

You can't just dredge up posts from the past and misconstrue them into something negative about someone else. Posts lose context over time so it's easy for anyone to reach back and take something and warp it into something that can be used against someone else.

Right now, the argument isn't even about who was "freaking out". In fact, this was never an issue because no one was freaking out in the first place. You, in fact, were actually the one to bring up freak-outs in the first place, so it's kind of confusing why you're still so fixated on the concept. Perhaps you are the one who is having a freak out (this is why I brought up self-awareness earlier).

But back to the issue at hand, I seem to recall that Asphyxious hasn't replied to my last rebuttal against him. This makes it seem likely they are "dodging the evidence" by having them lurk until they lose focus from the townies.

So see? I am thinking about others. It's just that I don't randomly sink my fangs into whoever thinks I have a vendetta against them.

Posts don't lose context over time in the space of a few hours, and generally don't lose context at all over the course of a game of mafia.

Plenty of people have panicked. muyb got very defensive when people voted for him, and you melted down into a gibbering wreck. It's an excellent concept, as vanilla town players don't really care, we're just along for the ride. Also, No, YOU'RE freaking out is an abysmal argument. What are you, 6 years old?

Asphyxious did reply to your argument, with "Huh? what are you on about?" which is pretty reasonable, as your arguments haven't been very coherent.

You are bad at this game.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

black_tangled posted:

If you believe that, why not change your vote?

Because if he gets lynched, he can't post anymore. Who cares if he's scum or town, he's annoying as hell.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Bifauxnen posted:

Splode - been quick to jump on lynches, which is definitely worth remembering for the future, but I'm not holding this against him yet. I think they were good wagons to try and start, and with 9 votes needed it's not like he really had to worry about them getting too carried away too fast cause of his vote.

Nailed it, this is exactly my thinking

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Asphyxious posted:

Good list Bif. I'm sure I'll earn your trust eventually (probably as a corpse :v:), sorry if it's distracting. I'll try to be more reserved in my approach from here on in?

That being said you're actually on my suspicion list as you keep throwing stuff over my way and I'm not entirely convinced it's not just a more nuanced version of Harold's poo poo.

The accusations being made are reasonably valid. You haven't accused anyone or even presented any theories, you've only posted to defend yourself. Tell us your opinions! What if you die tonight? If your one opinion is "the person who accused me seems suspicious", yeah, you look suss as hell.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

tithin posted:

IF you're not on this list, you're too quiet.

pffft, you've left off a bunch of people who are posting a lot, like me.

I'd also argue that "he's annoying" and "he's muddying the waters" are effectively the same argument. By being annoying, he's also managed to completely derail the last 2 pages. It's very difficult to play the game when this guy is flinging his poo poo. auspol is very bad at ignoring bad posters after all. This is muddying the waters but it's also very annoying.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Harold Krell posted:

Well, sorry, but everyone I've ever known always called it tenants of personality, so I not just about to change something I've known for 60 years just because someone in a mafia game told me different.

You have misheard. This whole time. This is exactly the same as people who say "irregardless". Also are you 60 years old??

GoldStandardConure posted:

Is this about standard for a day one meltdown when someone posts something as outrageous as "HAY MAYBE WE SHOULDNT LYNCH DAY ONE HUH?!"?

Because its pretty loving funny to watch.

I've never heard of a day 1 meltdown, this is a rare spectacle.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

QM you must have a lot of faith in us if you think we, auspol posters, can actually ignore this guy and get something constructive done. It'll be grammar correction and pointless screaming matches until he gets lynched.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

he still could be scum. This meltdown was triggered by someone voting for him, he only cares about saving his own life, and he's only played one game before apparently (potentially explaining his incredible incompetence).

He's a better bet than our other potential scum targets IMO.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

How did you work out it was me from my hand writing? You wouldn't have seen it anywhere else and all I wrote was the address?

I have no theories right now, I'm suspicious of beet and bif mainly due to their lack of consistency. I'm pretty confident tithin is town.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Asphyxious posted:

You can pack a lot of data into just an address :) its not about pinpoint accuracy its more about whats the most likely. Stuff like the way you did a lower case b for my street name then amended it later. It says things.

That's really interesting! Btw, if I were you I wouldn't worry about HK. He's not going to be starting any bandwagons because nobody is bothering to read his hysterical arguments.

I am also suss on small Keating, but I'm concerned I'm just being led around by bif and beet. Great if they're just clever town, I like the arguments put forward, not so great if they're scum leading us in a wild goose chase.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Asphyxious posted:

I think Bif must be town because if she was scum she'd probably be doing a better job of a mock investigation and focusing on better targets. Like scumbif would probably do well to push harder on me, as I can see how my posts lend themselves to that, as is we have townbif who is trying to piece something together from very limited information.

Yeah, fair enough.

If I was scum, I'd be leading a crusade against the silent players. Statistically, they're likely town (also behaviourally. If you role scum you're always more keen to play. On the other hand, being silent can be a great scum tactic, maybe they're posting extensively in the scum doc).
Bif isn't doing that, and all her arguments seem very good to me, so maybe we should get the ball rolling. Even if it goes wrong it will at least give us some more information to work with.

Small Keating has posted like, once, but seems to be around. He posted once with a "yeah cool lets go with that". Seems like pretty bog standard "low but not too low" profile scum play.

##vote Small Keating

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Gough seems really upset about bif voting for him. Perhaps he is concerned that bif is on the right track, and a dangerous townie, and is seeking to discredit and perhaps even lynch her?
Or, perhaps he is just an angry, angry man.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Mithranderp posted:

That being said, I do get a weird vibe from Bif's "let's lynch Gough" thing. So I'm not unwilling to vote for her either.

The "lets lynch gough" thing makes lots of sense. He OMGUS'd really hard on day 1, which is suss as hell. There really isn't much of a reason to do this if you're town.

I'm concerned that bif is town after all, and that scum are capitalising on doubt to try and take out a very active scum hunter.

Mithranderp is squarely in the band of goldilocks posting that is suspicious too.

For the record though, I don't think gough is scum, I think he's just cranky.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I don't think bifauxnen is necessarily trying to draw attention away from beet and Anidav, Because mentioning that slap fight at all and saying one side seemed scummy does the opposite.

I think it was more about setting up a narrative to spin the next vote after lynching me. Also if you're scum saying you think one side of a townie slap fight is backed by scum without confirming which is a good tactic, because if one of them dies and flips town it casts a lot of shade on the other person.

This is a good argument, but so far all of your arguments have been against bif, who accused you. It doesn't do a lot for your credibility when you seem obsessed with your own defence.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Anidav posted:

This is for a vote that basically happened as soon as the thread opened. Beet sounds like he's trying to summon bloodthirst, I don't like it. It's hard to be constructive without a report back from a power role and even if I tried, I'd just end up looking just as suss as Beet is with his hyperactive connect-the-dots on day TWO. This is the exact same kind of "framing myself as the saviour" play Milky Moor did on my very first game and Beet looks like he's trying to do the same thing.

I still won't vote for you Beet but you are trying SO HARD to connect dots and you merely saying you might be together with bif is a stupid fat red herring. Your true intention is to get me lynched today because you already have a plan for it tomorrow.

Which list, your hit list?

Anidav, getting data from a power role is not a given in mafia, and not necessary at all. You're just begging for a scum player to announce "I'm a detective, X is scum" and for you to merrily lynch them. Stop relying on data we have so much to go on.

If you call for playing conservative one more time then I am pretty confident you're scum. You're playing totally differently to how you played last game and your howls for "sit on your hands and wait to die" are not doing you any favours.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Asphyxious posted:

Both GSC and Coq have actually been suspiciously quiet. What little they've posted has also been generally unhelpful.

Coq posted to get on the HK bandwagon, when it was a midway through, and... that's it, isn't it?

Suss as gently caress

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Anidav posted:

Huh, lets see, my first game I was scum and town power roles didn't concern me as much.

My second game with Mills had NO POWER ROLES

My third game here has power roles and you think it's scummy that I'm suddenly curious and wanting to hear from somebody for once?

So lets get this out of the way because you all seemed to have forgotten this one fact

This is my second game with power roles, it is not scummy for wanting to try and ask if any power roles have anything of value, even if they are scum pretending. That is a learning experience for me. I apologize for being oblivious on how this might hurt town and thank you for bringing that up.

Ok well this is back to the original style of your play. "But guys I'm new" - he was scum.

Stop bickering, lets vote on what we all agree on. ##vote Anidav

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Matthew Beet posted:

Okay I went back and read your post I missed this morning about not voting d1. You have a 1 in 5 chance this game (roughly) of hitting scum on a d1 lynch. We outnumber the scum vastly we can afford to lose town at this rate. It only takes as many days as there are scum players to win. (eg 4 scum= 4 lynches) It takes a lot, lot longer for scum to win. We've got time, we've got a big margin for error to get info. Hitting town on day 1 isn't that big of a deal as you make it out to be. Secondly, as town dwindles, you increase the percentages of hitting scum on a random lynch. Thirsdly, lynching one scum could take a quarter to a third of their team out in one go. Lynching one town accidentally is what, a 7% lost to town?

d1 no lynch is dumb.

if you weren't supposed to lynch day 1, the game would start at night 1.

So far I've deeply disagreed with everything QM has posted, but with nobody backing him up or even "just asking questions" and discussing his ideas, he seems to be acting alone, which isn't very scummy.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Harold Krell posted:

What? Why aren't you going after Asphyxious after all the stuff I said about that person? Instead, you go after some other person and ultimately won't vote because you don't think they're mafia?

All of your arguments are terrible, that's why?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Anidav posted:

A very interesting post Splode, you should be more cautious and patient with your vote. You surely are too hasty and unforgiving towards a guy who's playing his first game of mafia that differs from previous. I have every right to post differently, your sample size for the games I've played is too small to try and draw suspicions from. Look elsewhere unless you wish to mark a scar on town's chances of winning.

With 9 votes to lynch, my vote isn't that dangerous, and I can always change it. This defence won't cut it, last time you did exactly the same thing: 'guys I'm new' . You were scum. Also, this is only my third game of mafia (forum based anyway). Two games is plenty of information to work with.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Hambeet and bif are scum hunting, and leading the accusations. Being scum and trying this is very risky, but it's just excellent play regardless of their alignment.

What you're not getting, Anidav, is that the best defence is to post good, reasonable theories about who is scum and why. This is obviously hard to do if you're scum, because you need to come up with a reasonable theory that is plausible yet bogus. It's much easier as scum to defend yourself by directly arguing against people pointing the finger at you, which is why we think you're inexperienced scum.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

My thoughts on the bif/hambeet/muyb shitfight

If either bif or beet are scum, town is in trouble, as these two are dominating discussion already.

However, I don't think they're talented enough to have faked that argument they just had. They're either both town, or only one of them is scum. The only other remote possibility is that we have multiple scum factions, but that's unlikely, as this isn't being run by FS.

Both agree Anidav is scummy

If they're both town, and they both think Anidav is scum (with good reason), well, Anidav is a good bet for lynching.

If one of them is scum, Anidav is town, as scum wouldn't vote for other scum this early, Anidav's fate is nowhere near sealed.

muyb is suss as hell, but maybe he's just really bad at mafia?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Harold Krell posted:

I never melted down yesterday. I only used that term because that person used that term first, hence the quotes.

:laugh:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Plotterboy posted:

I'm suss on the lot of you and waiting for either someone to really slip up or for someone to pull a successful bandwagon. There is a shitload of white noise preventing that at the moment. Fixies comment of forensic lingustics with the comment that that is how he worked out splode sent him an iron cross is flawed, as splode straight out said he would do it. Beet and Bif are leading the pack here but not much is getting done about it. Splode and small jumped on the Harold bandwagon yesterday without much fanfare which may mean that there was a discussion out of chat with could mean they are either mason or scum.

Quit getting angry about videogames and chill out. :v:

I voted for Harold because he is an annoying dickhead, I thought that was obvious?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

tithin posted:

We've 1.25 days to make a call, and I don't feel comfortable picking anyone.

If I was forced to make a choice, I'd probably lean Anidav at this stage, but even saying that, I'm reading some real desperation in his recent posts - which I can't 100% discount as frustrated newbie townie.

That said, he's played surprisingly well in the first two games, so it's possible it's a ruse.

Except he was very desperate when he was scum and being bandwagon'd in his first game. frustrated town noobs tend to just give up and wait for death, much like I did in that game when we had no lynch on day 2 either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Plotterboy posted:

Its a pretty good excuse. Harold is an annoying dickhead, giving scum the perfect cover to go for a twofer in the first night, bandwagogning a town and getting a night kill in one day.

yeah yeah it's good for scum to kill a townie, however, HK completely ruined any further discussion yesterday. The big argument today between bif, hambeet and muyb might have happened last night if we weren't all too busy laughing at meltdowns. It's also possible he's a scum playing a very good strategy. The arguments for him being scum were pretty valid.

• Locked thread