Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

naem posted:

On the other hand it's chock full of hot single women who've moved here looking for single straight dudes and they're just as thirsty

not really the Bay Area world revolves around tech jobs, which means less hot women compared to DC or NYC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Tinder should charge based on BMI.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Another SV fun fact is Mountain View has multiple superfund sites since tech companies did lots of illegal dumping during the 70s semiconductor boom.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol yeah i'ma pay tinder $10/mo instead of just changing apps

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

lol yeah i'ma pay tinder $10/mo instead of just changing apps

For apps people also tend to migrate away over time since there's always something better out there especially for relationship/booty call apps.

naem
May 29, 2011

etalian posted:

not really the Bay Area world revolves around tech jobs, which means less hot women compared to DC or NYC

There's as many if not more hot women as other major cities, there are just a higher number of male nerds making me look awesome by comparison

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

naem posted:

There's as many if not more hot women as other major cities, there are just a higher number of male nerds making me look awesome by comparison

Santa Clara county now has more guys than girls.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I dig naem's argument of "nuh uh"

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTH14kk2IrI

sign me up

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

raditts posted:

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.

bringing SV disruption to your mouth

etalian fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 5, 2015

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

etalian posted:

brining SV disruption yo your mouth

hire ludacris as the spokesman and i'd be completely on board.

naem
May 29, 2011

Zelder posted:

I dig naem's argument of "nuh uh"

Maybe "being handsome" is throwing off my views of women in SF sry

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Mr. Stingly posted:

This is what I'm talking about. If you live in some prairie town caked in cow poo poo then all this is a total joke. You hop in your Corolla you paid a couple nickels for at the Piggly Wiggly or HEB, and blow down the 2-lane freeway to whatever IT job you work for whatever farm equipment company and share a laugh about hipsters, clad in your Seinfeld era mom jeans. Unaware like an untouched Amazonian tribe that a few thousand miles away the future is a real thing. There are Teslas all over the road, and if its not a Tesla its a Volt or a Prius or a Leaf or a hybrid. They are a necessity in a densely populated metropolis that must carefully manage and regulate its pollution. You're already an old man, confused by changes you disagree with or don't understand. I saved $15,000 you cry!

Motherfucker, I spend that much on guac.

these days it is very "un hip" and "not groovy" to say that you like thing but this post was funny and I enjoyed it

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2015/04/02/uber_leaves_san_antonio_to_protest_regulations_it_wasn_t_an_empty_threat.html

quote:

On Tuesday, Uber announced on its blog that it would mark its first anniversary in San Antonio by suspending operations there after April 1. “City officials have created a regulatory climate that makes it impossible for us to meet the high standard of service that riders from over 170 cities across the U.S. have come to expect,” Uber’s blog post stated. “By adopting these rules, San Antonio officials have eliminated thousands of jobs and a safe transportation alternative from their city.”

:qq:

Good

http://www.chron.com/houston/article/Houston-Uber-driver-accused-of-rape-6177712.php

quote:

Jermaine Bulies shared the cab with the unnamed woman when they traveled back to the Crowne Plaza hotel where he and another friend were staying. The woman was sick and vomiting, so Bulies found the woman's ID, found her address and left her in the custody of the driver, who he asked to take her home....Burton told police that he and the woman were unable to determine where she lived, so she asked Burton to let her rest at his home, which he did. There, Burton had sex with the woman, he admitted to police. He woke up in the morning and left home for work, leaving the woman in his bed.

A fine and outstanding Uber driver at your service!

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 7, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I like how cities are now forced yo make Uber crisis plans like sv startups are some natural disaster or criminal gang riding into town

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

In other Uber news, if a driver picks you up at your house, drops you off at the airport, and then drives back to your house to rob it, Uber will totally refund your fair
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_27820884/denver-police-seek-uberx-driver-accused-trying-break

quote:

The Tuesday arrest of an UberX driver accused of dropping off a fare at the airport last week — only to return to her Denver home and unsuccessfully attempt to break in — exposes some risks of riding with strangers.

quote:

Uber officials said they have spoken with Montgomery's passenger, refunded her ride and let her know that Montgomery, who operated on the UberX platform, has been deactivated

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Uber is pretty awesome assuming you don't get a hammer to your face or your home robbed the uber driver.

.random
May 7, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

quote:

Montgomery...has been deactivated

:tinfoil:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

How much did she have to pay for her rape?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I am enjoying watching people get what they paid for with Uber & the like.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SaltLick posted:

A fine and outstanding Uber driver at your service!

That's super scummy obviously but at the same time asking a random driver to take a drunk woman back to his place alone so she could sleep it off is a hilariously bad idea.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Why is it even called Uber?

Never mind I think I know why. gently caress nerds.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

In other Uber news, if a driver picks you up at your house, drops you off at the airport, and then drives back to your house to rob it, Uber will totally refund your fair
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_27820884/denver-police-seek-uberx-driver-accused-trying-break

etalian posted:

Uber is pretty awesome assuming you don't get a hammer to your face or your home robbed the uber driver.

Explain to me why this EXACT SAME THING could not happen with a regular cab.

Oh wait, you can't. The only reason this is news is because it's Uber. Regular cab drivers treat people like crap all the time, but you never hear about it because it's such a common occurrence and therefore not news.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

enraged_camel posted:

Oh wait, you can't. The only reason this is news is because it's Uber.

regular cabbies are smelly sad people that used to be doctors in their home countries and now drive other people around for a living. Uber people are a 70/30 mix of actors and various extroverts attempting to supplement income by gamely letting strangers into their cars, and criminals looking to get paid while arranging the details for various as of yet uncommitted crimes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Oh wait, you can't. The only reason this is news is because it's Uber. Regular cab drivers treat people like crap all the time, but you never hear about it because it's such a common occurrence and therefore not news.

Yup it's a vast conspiracy to make Uber look bad.

Just overlook how Uber was caught lying about things such as their background checks.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

enraged_camel posted:

Because techies are the worst people in the world

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

enraged_camel posted:

Because taxi services have regulations and legal requirements and background checks. Y'know, the stuff Uber deliberately and illegally avoids because they're morally bankrupt libertarian parasites.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I saw a new startup the other day on HN. Their service is that theyll pick your car up from your house and go fill it with gas and then return it to your home. loving lol. The idea is bad enough before you realize all the gas for the return trips would be wasted.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

thathonkey posted:

I saw a new startup the other day on HN. Their service is that theyll pick your car up from your house and go fill it with gas and then return it to your home. loving lol. The idea is bad enough before you realize all the gas for the return trips would be wasted.

There's a startup in San Francisco that will not only do that, but also wash your car, park it in a garage, and provide on demand valet service within 15 minutes anywhere in the city. For $5 and hour and a $15 daily max. :lol:

http://luxevalet.com/home#how_it_works

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

enraged_camel posted:

It could, but it would be less likely (due to background checks) and it would be easier to follow up (due to more stringent regulation.)

Uber is taking something that isn't broken, making it worse, and calling it a revolution.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

It could, but it would be less likely (due to background checks) and it would be easier to follow up (due to more stringent regulation.)

Uber is taking something that isn't broken, making it worse, and calling it a revolution.

I want Uber to perform background checks too but the quality of service as a whole has been noticeably and consistently better than a regular cab service whenever and wherever I've used it. It's not as good as Lyft, but much more widespread and available.

A few bad apples doesn't make the entire thing bad, no matter how much goons want it to.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kobayashi posted:

There's a startup in San Francisco that will not only do that, but also wash your car, park it in a garage, and provide on demand valet service within 15 minutes anywhere in the city. For $5 and hour and a $15 daily max. :lol:

http://luxevalet.com/home#how_it_works

An Angry Bug posted:

Because taxi services have regulations and legal requirements and background checks. Y'know, the stuff Uber deliberately and illegally avoids because they're morally bankrupt libertarian parasites.

Not to mention all the Uber things like like intensive screening and background checks for drivers turned out to BS, uber drivers could also swap login info too.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Gutcruncher posted:

Why is it even called Uber?

Never mind I think I know why. gently caress nerds ze Germans.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

enraged_camel posted:

I want Uber to perform background checks too but the quality of service as a whole has been noticeably and consistently better than a regular cab service whenever and wherever I've used it. It's not as good as Lyft, but much more widespread and available.

A few bad apples doesn't make the entire thing bad, no matter how much goons want it to.

Actually yeah it does when one of the main selling points of the service is the same thing that causes poo poo like this to happen

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

enraged_camel posted:

yeah, whats a little rape between friends

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Actually yeah it does when one of the main selling points of the service is the same thing that causes poo poo like this to happen

Not to mention how Uber has been caught outright lying on multiple things like their "comprehensive" criminal background checks

Also Uber learns the hard way that it can be regulated by the government:

(Uber banned from providing service in Germany)
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/uber-faces-another-setback-in-europe/

.random
May 7, 2007

All this hate because they're providing better, faster, cleaner, and SAFER service than government subsidized taxis. Liberal GBS attacks efficient private sector. News at 10.

</troll>

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

thathonkey posted:

There is a service that is getting ready to ramp up in Seattle where, in select neighborhoods, you can drive your car to your destination and they will take your car and find a parking spot for you so you don't have to do it. This means at any given time, densely populated areas like Capitol Hill may have people just driving around looking for spots that don't exist for an hour or more?

I think the idea of the service is to cater to people with disabilities but unfortunately I think it's more likely to cater to idiots with money and Teslas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
as bad as uber can be, to be fair taxi service is the loving worst. i switched to uber from taxi in providence b/c it was so absurd

oh sorry, drunk and downtown, but you don't live within a 2 mile vicinity? sorry not going to drive you there, no matter what you offer to pay. oh you need us to pick you up at 1pm? sure we'll be there. 30 minutes late, because gently caress you. and you can go to a competitor if you want, but they're all just as bad. eat poo poo.

• Locked thread