Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Wafflz posted:

Aren't flavorless food squares/paste a key part of pretty much every sci-fi dystopia story?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

naem posted:

This is the best thing, that this ALL ALREADY HAPPENED and we KNOW it is a bubble and how it will end.

Google, Apple, yahoo, weathered the last one, anyone else?? They'll be fine I'm sure. This time I bet Facebook and Twitter will remain popular for a couple years at least, probably. Facebook will exist as a company if they can keep buying smaller social media things for a decade or so.

Bubbles are rarely as "unpredictable" or "sudden" as people who lose money during them claim they were afterwards.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Kobayashi posted:

Finally, an app that'll help me figure out who keeps giving me that raging boner.

pplkpr

It's called pplkpr

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

paranoid randroid posted:

thank god someone streamlined my smiley face deliverables. i was tired of having to fish them out of the trash.

Some sort of "freecycling" app to streamline the "strangers digging through you trash for scrap metal" experience?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Burn down the SV, drag the VCs into the street and hang them from the intestines of the techies

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
IMHO

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Silicon Valley is a very funny show and I hope that they get more aggressively mocking in the future

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

enraged_camel posted:

The funny thing is that there's probably a lot of parallels between dressing like a slob and having a website that looks like crap. Both of them signal the same thing: that you care more about function than form.

And yet people in this thread have been relentlessly making fun of SV folks for their terrible clothing.

DOES NOT COMPUTE

These people dress badly because they never learned how to dress themselves and now that mommy isn't picking out clothes for them they just throw anything together. It has nothing to do with form over function, when it comes to clothes form follows function.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Concerned Citizen posted:

i like elon musk because he develops actual useful technologies instead of a social network revolving around photos of your laundry

He has a dumb name

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

pie-in-the-sky research is important but so is basic science, which can be made much cheaper to do if space-x's reusable parts technology saves as much money as elon musk claims it will.

It won't, hth

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

oh ok thanks for clearing that up

You're welcome, I'm always happy to help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Kinda old news but
http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Google-workers-at-Superfund-site-exposed-4368421.php

quote:

For at least two months, Google employees were exposed to excessive levels of a hazardous chemical after workers disabled a critical part of the ventilation system at the company's new satellite campus on a Superfund toxic waste site, records show.

From mid-November to mid-January, levels of trichloroethylene, or TCE, exceeded concentrations considered safe by the federal Environmental Protection Agency at a Google office complex in Mountain View, according to a detailed report to the EPA obtained by the Center for Investigative Reporting. The buildings sit on a Superfund site 3 miles from the company's headquarters.

quote:

Pregnant women who are exposed to low levels of the chemical during a crucial three-week period in their first trimester face an increased risk of having a baby born with holes in the heart, a 2011 EPA analysis found.

quote:

On a recent afternoon, young women, pregnant women and visitors with young children could be seen relaxing in the courtyard. One Google employee who was visibly pregnant was asked if she was aware of risks associated with TCE exposure.
"We're really not allowed to talk about it," she said. "Sorry."

• Locked thread