Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

massive spider posted:

Also radiohead are another obvious ripoff point for muse but they too probably could have done a sick rear end track about drone warfare.

Interestingly enough both Radiohead and Muse have used 1984 as a point of reference for at least one of their songs (Radiohead's 2+2=5 and Muse's United States of Eurasia). Yorke is a much better lyricist than Bellamy will ever be though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Madkal posted:

Interestingly enough both Radiohead and Muse have used 1984 as a point of reference for at least one of their songs (Radiohead's 2+2=5 and Muse's United States of Eurasia).

Resistance too. YOU'LL WAKE THE THOUGHT POLICE~~~~

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That train goes all the way to Citizen Erased.

I like 'Drones' just fine, but comparing it to their older records makes me a bit sad. The older lyrical style (OoS - Black Holes) was just less ... silly.

The Resistance onwards just seems to be very literal and direct. It's one thing to write about lofty, 'high minded' global issues and interpersonal trauma, but stuff like "I'll be your commander-in-chief" is just so blunt it feels comedic.

It feels like all the poetry has leaked out.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The lyrics and the singing in general have gotten a lot worse. He's got no edge to his voice anymore. If you listen to stuff from hullabaloo, Matt's sound is just so much more intense and good. Now he can only sing in a really soft and generic way. Combine that with the poo poo lyrics and it's gotten really grating.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

I saw them last week in London. It was still good. The 'in the round' stage is a good idea and the overall production is very high quality.

They released a bunch of standing tickets close to the event so i sold my seated ones and got standing. This was a good idea as even at the back you are really close. Plus it was super easy to get to the front. I moved forwards for the encore and ended up 1 row back from the barrier which is something that would have been impossible any other time I've seen them.

We got butterflies and hurricanes, plug in baby, Stockholm syndrome, take a bow, a bunch of new ones, nothing from showbiz. Biggest unexpected audience pop of the night was for Mercy (!?) which goes to show that many of the fans must actually prefer the new material.

I don't like their new albums much but will probably see them next time they come round as well.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

GTO posted:

I saw them last week in London. It was still good. The 'in the round' stage is a good idea and the overall production is very high quality.

They released a bunch of standing tickets close to the event so i sold my seated ones and got standing. This was a good idea as even at the back you are really close. Plus it was super easy to get to the front. I moved forwards for the encore and ended up 1 row back from the barrier which is something that would have been impossible any other time I've seen them.

We got butterflies and hurricanes, plug in baby, Stockholm syndrome, take a bow, a bunch of new ones, nothing from showbiz. Biggest unexpected audience pop of the night was for Mercy (!?) which goes to show that many of the fans must actually prefer the new material.

I don't like their new albums much but will probably see them next time they come round as well.

Yeah, when I saw them in London I wondered what the hell the pop for Mercy was about. That song's loving dull.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

I wonder if it's been on an advert or TV show or something?

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

GTO posted:

I wonder if it's been on an advert or TV show or something?
well it was on that Batman video game commercial in the U.S. forever too

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Mercy is so cheesy that it comes back around being awesome, especially live. You can just pump your fist into air to the "Show me MEEEEEERCY" and that's all you really need. I hope it pushes Starlight out of the setlist forever. That is one dull song.

I mean, I wish that old stuff would push out most of the newer stuff, but I'd be happy if at least Starlight gets the axe. But people like to clap along so let's keep that sucker forever...

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Well, the clapping is morse code for "tits", so...

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Remember when they used to do stuff like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT-p7QTc6Bs

They have a lot of awesome B-sides.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

AlexF posted:

Mercy is so cheesy that it comes back around being awesome, especially live. You can just pump your fist into air to the "Show me MEEEEEERCY" and that's all you really need. I hope it pushes Starlight out of the setlist forever. That is one dull song.

I mean, I wish that old stuff would push out most of the newer stuff, but I'd be happy if at least Starlight gets the axe. But people like to clap along so let's keep that sucker forever...

I figure as it used to be a show closer, it'll probably be sticking around for a long time. It apparently edges out Knights Of Cydonia for live performances. Unless LP8 has more hits than say, BH&R or Absolution, we'll be hearing Starlight for a lot, lot longer.

Speak of setlists, it really sucks that stuff like MK Ultra or Space Dementia is left by the wayside. It's exciting that they crop up now & again for shows, but I think it's a little sad that we all probably have old personal classics that won't show up very often.

That being said, Black Holes & Revelations is 10 years old in July. I really hope that they record whatever they do, if they do anything at all.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I think it's interesting/neat that a lot of fans today consider BHAR one of the Good Ones, because at the time a lot of fans totally decried it. It definitely introduced a lot of the elements that spelled the band's future downtrend, I think - the pop element, the beginning of crap "resistance" lyrics (especially Invincible), the weirdly underwritten instrumentals (Supermassive Black Hole's bridge, the final bit of Knights of Cydonia).

I thought it was a bit shaky at the time, but it always had a lot of stuff I really liked, and today I see Origin and Absolution's flaws more clearly, so BHAR doesn't seem so inferior anymore. Like those albums, it has some duds but the strong stuff just rules so much. Map of the Problematique in particular is one of their best, still.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams
Yeah I remember hearing Supermassive Black Hole as the first single. Prior to that the only new stuff was early live recordings of Assassin, Exo-Politics, and Glorious. Awesome songs, especially the thunderous Assassin. I actually recall seeing Glorious live during that period.

Anyway, hearing SMBH as the first recorded song was totally underwhelming. I only needed to spin it a few times before I got supremely bored of it. I still remember my reaction after hearing Assassin on the album, it was just so flat and lifeless compared to the earthshaking live version. The Muse message boards were full of hardcore fans in full-on denial, which carried through all the way to 2nd Law where I feel like a lot of the hardcore fans bailed entirely. Look at muselive now, the last post was November. That site used to be a hive of energy related to the band. It's a shame.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

KillerMojo posted:

Yeah I remember hearing Supermassive Black Hole as the first single. Prior to that the only new stuff was early live recordings of Assassin, Exo-Politics, and Glorious. Awesome songs, especially the thunderous Assassin. I actually recall seeing Glorious live during that period.

Anyway, hearing SMBH as the first recorded song was totally underwhelming. I only needed to spin it a few times before I got supremely bored of it. I still remember my reaction after hearing Assassin on the album, it was just so flat and lifeless compared to the earthshaking live version. The Muse message boards were full of hardcore fans in full-on denial

Yeah, I remember all that.

A lot of fans get misty-eyed about Debase Mason's Grog/Assassin, but to me Glorious was the real tragedy from that era. I love that main riff, the way the bass note moves underneath it, but they absolutely caked it in production nonsense. Should have been guitar-drums-bass-vocals, nothing else, razor-sharp. It just doesn't need the piano or the ten thousand guitar overdubs.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 28, 2016

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I remember before Muselive showed up all the action used to be at Microcuts. But that said goodbye when The Resistance came out, with the webmaster writing: " after more than 10 years following MUSE, and a huge amount of work, let's face it, we (or I) don't really care anymore."

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
SMBH is still right up there with the worst songs they've ever made. The album as a whole was hit or miss, but there were still a ton of good songs on it. Exo-politics, map of the problematique, knights of cydonia, city of delusion, not to mention, assassin, hoodoo, take a bow. All good to great songs. Compare that to the resistance where it was like uh, I like uprising I guess.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I consider BHAR to be in my top 3 favorite albums of all time. SMBH and Invincible are pretty cheesy, but in a way I actually like.

The 2nd half of the album though..

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Paperback Writer posted:

The 2nd half of the album though..

:dogbutton:

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

For me BHAR was where they nailed the arpeggiated synth and bass driven songs to the next level, with take a bow, map and cydonia.

Its also where the pomposity and overblown 'rock epic' problems of their albums since started to creep in.

Was there something that happened around that time that triggered this? Did selling 80k tickets at Wembley stadium on back to back nights push them over the edge?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

City of Delusion is a truly, truly bad name for a song.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Popcorn posted:

City of Delusion is a truly, truly bad name for a song.

it is but it's one of their best songs when it comes to mixing in orchestra elements, which was a lot of the identity of BHaR.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

City Of Delusion may be a bad name but it's one of the best tracks on that album for sure.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Volkerball posted:

it is but it's one of their best songs when it comes to mixing in orchestra elements, which was a lot of the identity of BHaR.

Was it? Only City of Delusion and Hoodoo have orchestral components, from memory.

That song's a weird one for me, actually. I thought it was a low point when the album came out, but I've come to like it. I like the bassline and the acoustic strumming. The strings work well but I can't help but think they're a bit of a Butterflies and Hurricane rehash.

The main chorus lyric is so shite though.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 2, 2016

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Popcorn posted:

Was it? Only City of Delusion and Hoodoo have orchestral components, from memory.

Those and then Knights of Cydonia has a really cool trumpet part in it. In Soldiers poem, the guitar part sounds almost like a harp, and they use brushes on the snare drum. And the intro to Assassin has a really saxophoney sound to it. BHaR had a lot of little elements like that they stuck to in certain songs and didn't touch at all in others, so there were all sorts of different identities you could pick out as you listened to the album more and more. There were a handful of songs that had Ennio Morricone style Western elements in them. Plus a few songs like Take a Bow, Map of the Problematique, and Supermassive Black Hole that just had their own distinct epic synth style. Then they tossed in exo-politics for one of their best garage band style songs they've ever made, just for good measure. It might be my favorite album of theirs.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Those and then Knights of Cydonia has a really cool trumpet part in it. In Soldiers poem, the guitar part sounds almost like a harp, and they use brushes on the snare drum. And the intro to Assassin has a really saxophoney sound to it. BHaR had a lot of little elements like that they stuck to in certain songs and didn't touch at all in others, so there were all sorts of different identities you could pick out as you listened to the album more and more. There were a handful of songs that had Ennio Morricone style Western elements in them. Plus a few songs like Take a Bow, Map of the Problematique, and Supermassive Black Hole that just had their own distinct epic synth style. Then they tossed in exo-politics for one of their best garage band style songs they've ever made, just for good measure. It might be my favorite album of theirs.

I find "there is a trumpet on one track, and they use brushes on another track" a bit unconvincing when you're arguing for orchestral elements. But I think you've identified one of the defining motifs of the album, which is the desert-flamenco element that runs throughout it. Morricone for sure, yes.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Setlist from Montreaux, Switzerland, July 2nd:

Psycho (w/ Drill Sergeant)
Agitated
Hyper Music
Plug In Baby
Fury
Butterflies And Hurricanes
The Groove
Assassin
Munich Jam
Futurism
Uprising
Micro Cuts
Knights Of Cydonia
What's He Building In There?
Panic Station (w/ Music Video costumes)
Starlight (w/ Hullaballoons)
Supermassive Black Hole
Mercy

...I hope someone recorded that :aaa:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Hedrigall posted:

Agitated
Hyper Music
Plug In Baby
Fury
The Groove
Assassin
Munich Jam
Futurism
Uprising
Micro Cuts
Knights Of Cydonia
Supermassive Black Hole
Mercy

GodDAMN that's a pretty deep cut for 2016

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

With a set like that, I am surprised they didn't throw in a live debut of Easily or Falling Away With You.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Hedrigall posted:

Agitated
Hyper Music
Plug In Baby
Fury
The Groove
Assassin
Munich Jam
Futurism
Uprising
Micro Cuts
Knights Of Cydonia
Supermassive Black Hole
Mercy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38XavHpAtac

Audio sucks, but I think this is right.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I can't believe that person spent the whole show worrying about it and recording it rather than having a beer and enjoying it instead.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

They seem to do a show like that every few years now. Wasn't there one a bit ago when they played only bsides and rarities in Japan?

Anyone know why they did it? I would travel to see a gig like that...

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
It's because they hate their own music and themselves for making it. They'd much rather go back to doing old stuff and obscure gigs but that is not possible any more.

See Biffy Clyro for a band on the same path.

Why, yes. I am that old fart at concerts who's just standing around during the new stuff and then totally goes bonkers for the two songs that don't suck for long time fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Considering Muse would sell out concerts pretty much irrespective of what they put out, I'm pretty sure they're happy with their new stuff if they are trotting it out instead of playing their old stuff.

Noone wants to believe their peak is behind them.

• Locked thread