Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

It's gonna be loving stupid and you're gonna embrace that stupidity and enjoy the guitars bass and drums on top of falsetto wailing about really dumb poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The music video is really done dirty by those drill sergeant samples, I'm hoping in vain that's not in the final mix.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

they're probably not on as many drugs as they were for origin of symmetry

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

every single song on Load is better than Psycho though.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dead Inside is a pretty loving good song. The lyrics are a weak point again, but the vocal style is still great. The drums and bass are sick, too. I like it.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Lyric video up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5bjJzJ-T4c

I kinda like it.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Resistance is not that bad. Uprising, Unnatural Selection, Exogenesis, MK Ultra, all good songs. The rest of it's kind of bad I guess.

The 2nd law is the biggest stinker they have, I think. I only really like Panic Station off that album.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Popcorn posted:

Finally, a decent song from this album. I feared this might be Muse's first 100% disaster record (the last two albums suck but they each have one song that doesn't.) Sounds like the song actually has a loving backbone.

The live versions made me worry Reapers would just be a shite hair metal pastiche, but somehow the studio version sounds urgent and current. The intro drum sound alone is a strong statement of intent. It's still obviously high-production-values, but it sounds alive. Great to hear they resisted putting yet more Queen-style layered backing vocals in the chorus - the distorted falsetto almost sounds like OoS, believe it or not. (The outro is a a dead ringer for the Hyper Music feedback to boot.) And it's actually catchy!

Music is really subjective stuff but man I can't disagree more about this album so far. Psycho is the only song I've been really disappointed in. So far this album has kicked the poo poo out of The 2nd Law in terms of quality, note for note, and stands a good chance of being a lot better than Resistance too.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Psycho is a really simple rock song, and while I'm not very interested in cataloging what is and isn't Muse based on their prog rock hits, it's pretty fuckin' lame compared to the rest of this album so far. The Handler is really, really good.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I loving love Defector. Like too much, maybe. I love this poo poo. So goddamn tacky but in a way that jives well with me

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

To me that's crazy, since the only songs I enjoy from the 2nd law are Panic Station and Survival. Panic Station dares to be a really dumb funk rock pastiche and I dunno it works for me, and survival has some of my favorite guitar playing from matt. It's not his best, but it's some of the most fun.

2nd Law was so disappointing in general though, I was surprised they bounced back at all with Drones. I was pretty ready to write them off and move on. Drones isn't a perfect album by any stretch and is still worse than any 'classic' muse, but i'm glad they can still make good music even if it seems like they sabotage themselves quite a bit.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Citizen Rat posted:

Oh good, I am not the only one who thinks this. I know some people who really like that song and I just don't understand it.

I hated it at first but something clicked and I stopped treating it like a Muse song. I just pretend they're covering a cheesey 80s pop rock ballad and it makes sense to me as an okay song.

I understand why it's polarizing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

City Of Delusion may be a bad name but it's one of the best tracks on that album for sure.

• Locked thread