Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

Unimpressed posted:

The Sri Lankans body language is weak, they need to puff up their chests.

On a serious note, is that a very small ground? Some of Ronchi's sixes were crazy.

Ground looks oddly shaped and maybe a bit small in some spots but most of those 6s were a good 90 - 100 meters in length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

-Spiffy- posted:

Afghanistan
One of the propaganda stories that came out of Afghanistan, after they have the poo poo bombed out of them, was that cricket was becoming important as a social outlet.
Whether or not that is true, they have managed to turn out a team which have played a few associate level games versus other countries and hopefully will do well.
Fan activity in the cricket thread: None

they've not only played against test playing nations, they've beaten Bangladesh in the only game they've played against them, and beaten zimbabwe twice (and even beat zim twice in 2 'unofficial tests').

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

Feral Jesus posted:

Been sat here for like an hour and a half with my tv off because I thought this game was going to be poo poo after NZ were four down so early :ughh:

shouldn't have been such a dick i guess?

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

Unimpressed posted:

Well in that case, I can't wait for him to play in a game commentated by Brayshaw.

??? plz explain :(

i want to see someone hit the ball out the park and down into that massive quarry hole right next it.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

Mister Chief posted:

I'm sure he wouldn't mention how he's Australian every two minutes.

aside from being born in nz to nz parents and all that.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I liked when Ronchi hit the 6s but then also didn't get out.

I like it when our batsmen score runs
I don't like it when our batsmen get out
I don't like it when their batsmen score runs
I like it when their batsmen get out

lol weird

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
and also no one can blame ronchis parents for wanting to leave the country in the first place. I would too if i lived in dannevirke.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

nzspambot posted:

why so racist towards bowlers?

dunno what u mean some of my best friends are bowlers

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
HH!

Gibbs

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

tanglewood1420 posted:

Sounds like that dumb Cricket Max thing where you could hit a 12.

cricket max was never dumb :colbert:

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
so what do u aussies think of david warner?

i think he's a nice chap and a great ambassador for your country

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
whats worse, making jokes about ross taylor liking kfc or that time that nzc gave recovering (at the time) alcoholic jesse ryder a bottle of champagne for his man of the match performance a few years back

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
knuc u knight, are you

a) regretting bringing up the kfc thing?
b) glad you bought up the kfc thing?

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
cricinfo captures the moment;

"A fairly rotund spectator dives over the boundary hoarding and falls into the playing area in a doomed attempt at fielding the ball"

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
makes me wonder if he might've been more successful if fried chicken was involved what do you think nuck u nite?

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

Lungboy posted:

In fact I welcome it as I think 50 over cricket is dead and should be binned.

as an englishman i think that all sports and derivatives of said sports become irrelevant when england start to suck at them.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
ODIs encapsulate the joys of test cricket much better than T20. Games often swing multiple ways, the last ODI between SL and NZ was a good example, SL run through top order, game swings to SL, lower order NZ rip SL to shreds, game swings to NZ, SL top order fight hard and game swings back towards SL, NZ rip through SL batting line up and NZ eventually win. You see this over and over with ODI cricket.

T20 generally seems to be "team does well for a brief period of time, wins game". There are a few occasions with tense close finishes and impetus swings, but these are so contracted that a lot of the tension is lost.

The tweaks made to the ODI game of late have really improved it.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy T20 cricket.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
The best things about T20 is you can play (or watch) a game after work before the sun goes down, and that for those not interested in cricket, it's a great way to get people into the sport, where they would hopefully drift towards enjoying ODIs and then tests as they start to understand the game and the subtleties (the tactics, the rivalries, the struggling player, the little battles, which bring about the most enjoyment) that are lost on those who just aren't interested in the sport and don't understand them (and I don't mean that as a criticism of anyone who isn't into the sport).

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

IceAgeComing posted:

A genuinely excellent test series can get people into the game by itself - look at the 2005 Ashes and the way that it seemed to get lots of younger people to actually care a bit about cricket. Although that series is most probably a once in a generation thing and normally T20s do have that sort of role.

Getting some cricket back on terrestrial TV would help - its hard to get people to care about a game they can't really ever watch. I'm not actually sure whether there's even any free highlights of the World Cup this time - I can't remember there being any of the Ashes last year as well!

i don't disagree with that at all, you could argue that the massive upswing in support for the nz cricket team here at home has had more to do with our progress as a test team than our rise back to where we used to sit in terms of T20 and ODI performances.

you're right that a series of that quality could draw in non fans (i suppose in the same way that non-league fans get drawn into league through the state of origin), but the test team here in nz has drawn in more of the 'jaded old fans' than out right newbies to cricket.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

Varkk posted:

Have tickets to the NZ Sri Lanka match. Will be taking my boy to his first cricket match.

nice. i went to the boxing day test (first day) and aside from the poorly run ticket entry to the ground (two lines of entry to get your ticket taken. one line basically didn't move at all, while the other line flowed like melted butter), that you could only buy two alcoholic beverages at a time (which was a problem when trying to do 'rounds' with a group of three) and that it was potentially a little oversold (we arrived about 45 minutes before the start and struggled to find a spot), everything else was great.

given it was the first big match there, i'm assuming that the ticketing will be better run, and the number of people allowed in will be more accurate by the time the wc rolls around.

plenty of toilets, the food and drink vending was super quick, the ground was lovely.

oh, and one of the ladies running the beer vending threw a massive wobbler when i didn't have my id immediately at hand and treated me like i was a 15 year old trying to sneak some brews. i'm in my 30s, so it was kind of nice at the same time.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

Brett824 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qC3HF7wfEc

Do you guys think Warner would still sledge a 14 year old girl?

I was playing in a game against Cricketers Club of NSW for our local Tawa team, and one of the Wellington Blazes players (our local Women's team) bowlers was playing for us. Says she's massively over-rated.

Guess I'm the David Warner.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

Brett824 posted:

Sounds like she may be jealous of a 14 year old, tbh

thought did cross my mind, definitely.

can't imagine that the 14 year olds grandad being an ex black cap prob hurts her chances tho.

Pakistan cricketer Haris Sohail sees ghost in hotel

Davfff fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 27, 2015

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
i hope someone resurrects (lol) darren goughs classic 'ghost' "sledge" on haris sohail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pCJI-_LHC0

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
i would like broad to further clarify his comments on how minimum wage earners in the UK representing part of the top 10% of earners in the world correlates with 'how big the world is'.

a man who has travelled the four corners of the globe for cricket, how big did he think the world was before?

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
bollocks, dude's been to india and south africa plenty of times, did he never look out a damned window?

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

Airstream Driver posted:

Has anyone heard about that Pakistani guy who is scared of ghosts?

hey don't drag me into this, i was the first to know, other than haris sohail, anyone he told, the guy who wrote the article and anyone who read it before me but didn't post about it :colbert:

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
Pakistani cricket team cannot rule out possibility that ghost tampered with ball

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
did anyone else see that fat kid on the tv?

what a fat little gently caress

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
don't worry wandle cax, defender of the universe knuc u kinte is here he will protect everyones honour.

even that useless twat mark richardson.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
skytv ran an experiment where they literally fed a senile labrador suffering from distemper a dozen rotten eggs and left it in the commentary box for half an hour during the recent pakistan ODI, to see if anyone could tell the difference between the labrador and mark richardson.

it didn't go to plan when the labrador loving shat everywhere, shed all over the seats and then pissed itself but no one watching TV noticed and scott styris decided he liked the dog better than richardson and asked to make the switch permenant.

but richardson had an ironclad contract so they let the fucker back in.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
you say that like its a bad thing

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You're really normal.

and your posts are tip top awesome :)

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
just put 9 fielders around third man/slip cordon, plug south africas favourite scoring zone

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
amla got so sexually aroused he hung around the field and had to be ushered off by a match official

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

Shmoses posted:

South Africa will still make 330+ here

i wouldn't be so sure, this isn't england playing here

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

goatface posted:

Triple the score at 20 overs. Zimbers won't break 200 anyway.

bollocks

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
believe!

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
another south african hangs around on the pitch after dismissal hoping they can catch a glimpse of simulated floor sex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
how could i forget? i spaff one off thinking of it every morning in the shower