Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

RideTheSpiral posted:

Here's KP arguing with an imaginary person he invented.

I can imagine him turning into some kind of Colonel Kurtz character in his old age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Big cheer for the seagull that's recovered from trying to "field" the ball

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Now it's actually trying to field the ball, he thinks he's a Star

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

KP = poo

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I remember when they had Dollar Days at the WACA for Sheffield Shield matches, you could have a whole grandstand to yourself.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

-Spiffy- posted:

The crowds have been mental this year. I dunno what they changed, but I have been more engaged this year than the others.

I was at the Scorchers/Stars game during the week, was really surprised how many people were there. LOTS of kids in their green gear, and they go crazy at every six and wicket the home team gets. It really reminded me of being at a baseball game.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Cat Terrist posted:

Honestly thought BBL was going to die after three seasons. Nooooope!

(WTF Adeaide, 40,000 per match?!?!?! Does soccer / AFL even get that much?)

I'd imagine is the revamped Adelaide Oval thats done the trick, all the AFL games had at least 40k last year.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Airstream Driver posted:

Yeah average for the afl at Adelaide was over 46,000 (MCG was 47,000 lol). I suppose the novelty of Adelaide having something new hasn't worn off yet.

e: Didn't they have massive queues for krispy kreme donuts when the first store opened there last year? Some dude got robbed of his donuts by a guy with a knife iirc. Adelaide is a strange place.

I heard Perth wasn't much better, people camping out for the drat things, along with private traffic control and security to make sure the opening didn't get out of hand.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Wokesful

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Still Woaksful.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Only logical things I can think of is they were going for an outright, or they could get points for the extra runs, pushing them up the ladder.

Having said that, they're probably a bunch of cunts from A grade who love being bullies on the weekend, as they can't cut it up the grades anymore, and can't handle the idea of spending time on the weekend with their stupid, ugly families. I may or may not be speaking from experience.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Or they're more likely to be playing on a concrete strip covered in astro turf, which makes batting silly easy once the shine is off the ball.

The only real option is the fielding side taking forever between and during overs, putting everyone on the boundary and making the batsmen run as much as possible. Also, those kind of pricks hate it when you give zero fucks about getting smashed around, so ignoring them and joking amongst yourselves can get wickets surprisingly.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

nzspambot posted:

Sounds a lot like brawshaw

HE'S A MASSIVE MAN

They're from the same school of boofhead Aussie bloke commentating, ie yelling like you're drunk with your dickhead mates.

HE'S GOT THE DUKES OUT

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I saw some adds showing the 1992 replica shirts are selling for around $60, while the current WC replicas are selling for a ridiculous $120.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Wasn't the '99 shirt design due to the phasing out of cigarette advertising, with one last hurrah for B&H with the southern cross looking like ciggies coming out of a packet?

Much like what Ferrari keeping the not so subtle illusion to their Marlboro sponsorship in F1.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I honestly thought the worst one was England/Broad, he looks like his mum just told him couldn't have a Freddo at the supermarket.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Somehow FIFA manage to get a much bigger (in every sense) 32 team tournament done in 32 days, where the winners always come from a small handful of nations, why not just copy that? And just rig it to always have an India vs Pakistan match to keep the Bcci happy.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Those tyres aren't going to sell themselves

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

goatface posted:

Two games a day, at the same time, on the same pitch.

Two pitches but in a cross shape would be the way to do it

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

He was smashing wickets in the nets

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Remember they used to have rest days DURING test matches back in the day:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Can't help it

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Afganistan have been good in the field

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

notaspy posted:

With just the one token white boy it does look dodge!

But seriously its down to the testing in the UK is more stringent than else where. At one point the ecb begged the guy to be a bit loser and he said gently caress off

I remember Murali getting his action tested and okayed by bio-mechanics experts at my old university UWA in Perth many years ago, has it all been left up to one hard-arse in England these days?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Saw this one plastered up in Melbourne a few weeks ago:

A bit lame really, also not enough swear words for real Australian cricket fans.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Having to self umpire lower grade club games in Perth was the worst, not enough umpires wanted to put up with a bunch of idiots for a few bucks every Saturday afternoon.

Worst match was against Swanborne, where the opposition captain (and club president) had the umpire changed 5 times during the match, and the square leg umpire changed a few times too, as was allowed when without a proper ump. I personally walked off the field when at square leg when I was called a "cheating mother loving oval office" by said captain screaming in my face, for not giving a run out that was well in. A couple of the opposition were very apologetic after the game (the ones who weren't getting upset during the match), while the rest called us all cunts again and sped off in their cars. Worst game ever.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Surely you just start awarding penalty runs?

And risk inciting actual violence? They really lost the plot when it was becoming obvious they weren't going to win the game. We just kept battling sensibly and won by 5 or 6 wickets, while copping a tirade of abuse from the opposition, basically the quickest way to get it over with.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

webmeister posted:

Did that sign say "fruit and vegetables must not be taken out of Eden Park"? Lmao

It's imported like the camera crew

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I think Steyn has been running at about 75% the whole tournament, his body wouldn't let him bowl well.

The ACC call of Gestapo Chic was spot on however.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

subroc posted:

I lost my poo poo when someone said, "Do you think he's annoyed at the dew?"

This was my first time listening to ACC and it's going to be hard to go back during non-NZ games. Even the 2 second delay didn't bother me. The best thing is that in between all joking around they were calling the game really well.

I was in tears when he asked about the Steyn's opinion of the dew, just brilliant.

After listening for about 10mins I couldn't stop recommending the ACC to everyone within earshot, my office mate thought it was pretty grouse.

I reckon a decent Australian version of the ACC could be made out of the old D-generation crew, Tom/Rob/Santo with Ed Kavalee thrown in, Warwick Todd could even make an appearance.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

cpaf posted:

Roy & HG are the only ones close to ACC imo. It's basically a cricket version of their state of origin commentary, but with more genitalia.

Very true, I'm not sure how great their cricket knowledge is, but it never stopped them from doing amazing calls for AFL grand finals. Roy & HG were always more implicit with their genital chat, I had the Club Buggery deck of cards that had the flute, tool, snag and date as the playing suits.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

*Push to cover*

International signal for having a bat after winning the toss

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Varkk posted:

ICC should limit batsmen to only using three bats in a calendar year.

Just like the F1, 4 engines in a season.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Butt Wizard posted:

Can't wait to see England using Honda bats.

The bat exploding in Joe Root's hands, inuring him for an entire ashes series.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

The Deadly Hume posted:

ALRIGHT GET OFF THE GROUND WE GOTTA GET IT READY FOR FOOTY

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

-Spiffy- posted:

I like Geoff Lawson he seems like a normal dude.

Terry Alderman is good too.

Madness! TA prattles on about nothing in a bad way, and GL can't help but tell you he went to university every 5 seconds during any match at the SCG (from the GL named UNSW end), and he talks non-stop poo poo to boot. When he and Drew Morphett were on together on Grandstand during the tests it was almost unlistenable.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

The rookie commentators they get in on the ABC are almost always really good. The older ones are good too, I can't think of a single Grandstand commentator that really pisses me off the way the Ch9 ones do.

Very much agree with this, its just the two mentioned above are two of the worst on Grandstand, put them on Ch 9 and they'd easily be the best.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Ritchie Benaud RIP :smith:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

goatface posted:

So many shirts open to the navel. Truly it was a golden age.

And unfortunately his undoing with skin cancer getting the better of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Seams posted:

To be fair the only England batsmen who didn't contribute were Cook and Trott.

England's bowling looks pretty miserable still. Maybe they need a bowler who can bowl really fast. Just one ordinary blokes opinion.

Not trying to be a jerk, but who was England's last terrifyingly quick fast bowler?