Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

I think Ross Taylor is really loving stupid, if he wasn't good at cricket he'd be on minimum wage somewhere.

He's much better at cricket than Martin Guptill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Guptill's also arguably the best fielder in the world.

Yeah for sure. McCullum's been amazing in the field too.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Lmao Scott Styris said that Ross Taylor would have taken that catch in his mouth if it was a piece of kfc.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

Because Styris has been his friend and traveled around the world with him for about 15 years and probably knows a thing or two about his food preferences?

I dunno if it's a south Auckland thing but Samoans liking kfc is a thing and probably not appropriate to say in a commentary box. I am 100 percent sure it wasn't intentional, but someone might have been offended.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Why.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Airstream Driver posted:

Heaven forbid someone gets offended!

Err, I don't care if anyone gets offended, I'm just explaining why someone might get offended. If that gets your knickers in a twist, you're definitely very stupid.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

If you jump to that then maybe it is you who is the racist?

I know plenty of people - Samoan and otherwise - who enjoy KFC and we regularly joke about each other and our KFC liking ways.

I thought it was funny, but recognised it as something you might not want to say. As did Simon Doull who immediately was like "wtf, you shouldn't say that".

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The "I have x race friends, and they have never been offended by offensive thing" is something that would be lampooned in a late season simpson episode. It's a pathetic thing to say.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Airstream Driver posted:

Tbf if you (I don't mean you) get offended by people who know you (I don't mean you) suggesting you (I don't mean you) eat a lot of fried chicken maybe you (I don't mean you) should stop eating so much fried chicken.

Tbf you (yes you) sound like you (you) have a learning difficulty.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

dusty posted:

Are the NZ Sky commentators worse than ever? yes It's a crying shame more of them can't be removed for max fixing. Even Ian Smith is a fuckwad these days - too much exposure to the cunts who call the rugby. Whoever is providing the Sri Lankan colour commentary is just a whinging little bitch.

I've just had to turn the Sky audio off. On the plus side the endless stream of scrotum and poo jokes on the ACC is pretty solid - even with audio 30 seconds out of sync it's preferable to the double intellects of Squeaky Styris and Simon Drool.

Acc is so loving good.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

dusty posted:

It's that grey area of intent versus context.

Say a black female tennis player has the impressive musculature of a silver-back gorilla, but if a commentator describes her as such he'll be falling into the morass of societal racism that surrounds black people and sports women in particular. Best for us all if the commentator just shuts his gob lest we drown under 888-screeds from the offended - this is why morons with microphones earn the big bucks as professionals.

Taylor could have a KFC tattoo for all I know, but laughing that the one PI guy on the field must be a fried chicken fiend is always gonna be dumb

tl/dr best commentators don't talk about anything except WASP

The legalise cannabis party has my vote.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

OK say Brendon McCullum is known in the team for loving KFC, is it alright to make jokes about his love of KFC? I would assume you would say yes. If amongst the same group of guys Ross Taylor also loves KFC, there must be no jokes about his love of KFC because Knuc U Knite has racist ideas about Samoans so whoever jokes about Ross is racist?

Stop insinuating I made up the Samoan kfc thing you dull oval office.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I made a team and Adam Milne is my dark horse even though he's injured and he sucks and i hate him.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I wish I had a dollar for everytime simon doull makes a premature call that's completely wrong. I'd have made 10 dollars sitting on my rear end this afternoon.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Noxin of Shame posted:

Why are you not listening to the ACC?

I don't have my sky so I can't sync it. :negative:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Varkk posted:

The only way nz is going to stop Afridi from getting a hundred is to get the other players out around him.

Booya.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Wandle Cax posted:

If you listen straight off the iheart website on your computer it's only slightly ahead of the TV so it's alright to listen to without adjustment.

e. if you really want i think you can load it in VLC and adjust it to be in sync on using that

How do I do this.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Guptill batting like Classic Guptill.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The Nards Pan posted:

Probably should have let that last one go by.

Shame that ball didn't go the other way. Would have liked to see him go on.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

webmeister posted:

Stick Cricket removed the "knocked over by a bouncer, dismissed hit wicket" animation from their iOS app out of respect for Phil Hughes :laugh:

Why's that funny.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Also lol at Smorgasbord the racist retard implying that laura mcgoldrick is a ladder climbing slut for marrying a cricketer.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Varkk posted:

Her job is to do the human interest cutaway talk to fans in the crowd segment. She does that part as well as could be expected. Whether such segments have any place in the coverage is another matter entirely. But at least she isn't Craig McMillan or Mark Richardson arguing with Scott Styris.

We really need the World Cup to start so we can talk about that instead of arguing over this.

I was with you until you dogged on rigor. gently caress you.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Her segments are there to build hype for the world cup I don't think they're offensive or intrusive and i expect them to go away after or even before the tournament.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I think the nigh scripted crap the players feed to the commentators lately is more of a waste because it could be something good.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

He's literally the only non poo poo commentator we have. Idgaf what popularity contests he's winning or losing in new Zealand cricket.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Noxin of Shame posted:

Counterpoint -- Leigh Hart

All the acc guys rule. I should have said sky commentator.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Davfff posted:

skytv ran an experiment where they literally fed a senile labrador suffering from distemper a dozen rotten eggs and left it in the commentary box for half an hour during the recent pakistan ODI, to see if anyone could tell the difference between the labrador and mark richardson.

it didn't go to plan when the labrador loving shat everywhere, shed all over the seats and then pissed itself but no one watching TV noticed and scott styris decided he liked the dog better than richardson and asked to make the switch permenant.

but richardson had an ironclad contract so they let the fucker back in.

You're really normal.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

exmachina posted:

gently caress the haters rigor rules OK

I've got some mark richardson based dog poo poo fan fiction that says otherwise.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Doull loving sucks rear end. He talks endlessly about poo poo he doesn't know dick about and he constantly fucks up the most important part of being a cricket commentator; calling the cricket.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Wandle Cax posted:

He's on TV, it's much less important to actually call the cricket when the viewer can see what's going on.

It's still important because 1. The viewer sees a single camera while the commentators have access to everything and 2. Not everyone who watches sport is an expert who knows the consequences of every play. Cricket is one of those games that is especially difficult to master a complete understanding of every rule.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

So sky nz are playing aus and England's warm ups but neither of nz's?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

Probably neither. Each side has more than 11 players.

Do the cops know about this?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Is Australia having their own opening ceremony. This thing is embarrassing.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Nystral posted:

My in laws are from Guyana and so we'll be watching the Windies. I'm far more of a T20 watcher, but it seems like the Windies are little improved from the 2011 CWC - middling team with some strong bats and lacking in overall depth on offense and everywhere on defense.

Typically I consider it a success if WI can beat out the likes of NZ or SL. However in Pool B who should I be watching as a stalking horse given that South Africa seems to be out of reach?

Lmfao.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Shmoses posted:

This article is spot on.. Geoff Lemon is a great writer (and a product of my high school actually). The McNamara stuff is particularly unhinged, I'd read the Gideon Haigh comments, but the Roar article that he references is a level above. It's literally one throwaway line and McNamara comes in to mercilessly slate the guy:

Keep in mind that most of the articles at The Roar - including this guy's - are sourced from readers and very few columnists are professional or paid. Classy stuff from the head of cricket at Channel 9.

Lol that's insane.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Sri Lanka's anthem ftw.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The opening game of the wc being delayed by rain in nz is just perfect.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Russel Arnold ftw.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Everyone knows that the best part of a CWC is the awkward player portraits, and now you can see them at any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

-Spiffy- posted:

Our Kane™ doesn't have the same ring to it as Our Dan™ but hes a beautiful man.

He's a Dan style character.