Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
A man examines a ruby through a loupe, notating every flaw and imperfection. The price is adjusted a fragment of a percent, enough to feed a family of four for a year. A bartender serves a group of men and women shot after shot and rakes in tips pulled from designer wallets and immaculate jacket pockets. The sound of a pencil scratching fills a quiet retirement home as a woman recounts seven generations of small town politics as intricate as they are petty. After a show, the band signs their first album before handing it back to Ernest Bickle who laughs at the comments on his name. With all the holidays Death takes, it's a wonder anyone dies these days.

When those psychopomps and afterkings walk the world of the living they become enmeshed with it. That is the whole point of the exercise, to connect with the people as they are before they leave the carnal for the supernal or chthonic. The world of the living is not just and many are the betrayed and the victimized. Those gods of the dead may not realize it, but the injustice of the world worries upon their divine souls. Theirs is the land in which the just and unjust receive what is owed. But on occasion an opportunity arises to bring justice across that abyss of the undiscovered country. On occasion there is a loophole in the laws of the afterlife or credit accumulated on the cosmic balance. On occasion the dead may be sent back to the living world to live out new lives in exchange for service to the abused and manipulated.

On occasion, you can walk the earth in return for LEVERAGE

------------------------

Marvel Heroic Roleplaying is a pretty hot potato in The Game Room these days, but it's not the only Cortex+ game. So let's steal some poo poo and play The Leverage Roleplaying Game! It is literally a game system designed only for MAXIMUM HEIST, which is handy because it is the official RPG of the best heist show on television. You don't need the game to apply, but unlike MHR Leverage is still fully licensed so anything more than approximate knowledge is not to be posted here. The major wrench in the works for this game is ghosts! You are one, most probably a famous one. Certainly a very skilled ex-person of a Hacker, Grifter, Hitter, Thief or Mastermind. You've got a chance to live again in a handy 'borrowed' body, so long as you do just one favor for your to be determined sponsor. Of course, the body has memories still kicking about. Which is handy when you need that actor's charisma or freerunner's mad ups, less handy when you start caring about people you've never even seen let alone met. And sure, you did a favor for your boss, but they're not the only game in town and other higher ups may call in favors of their own to keep you firmly in the quite well discovered countries.

On the other hand you can taste food again. Feel the wind on your skin. Smell the salt of the sea. Hear the laughter of children. See justice done. Because for all their faults, those who control you never take on an unjust cause.

Let's steal us a game thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
HOW TO PLAY LEVERAGE
Leverage is a Cortex+ game, so if you've played Smallville or (more likely) Marvel Heroic the basics are the same. Grab dice, roll dice, add two dice. Rolled 1s are opportunities and cannot be used in a roll. You can buy GM's opportunities to make Assets, but they can do the same for yours.

Leverage has a more direct roll-off structure of stakes raising with the GM and the player. The most basic action is GM rolling to set stakes, with the player rolling to beat it. Contested actions, like dramatic fights or similar table turning events, involve rolling multiple times to beat escalating stakes until one side concedes or fails.

Character Creation is pretty different from Marvel, mostly because you actually create a character. Characters are made up of Roles, Stats, Distinctions, Talents, and Specializations. Character Creation also gets completed by playing out an accelerated "First Job", so you'll only need a partial sheet when applying.

Roles are how good you are at the five types of ne'er-do-well, and the area you are a master of. Grifters deal in Trust, both gaining it and manipulating it. Hackers deal in Information, taking information from people and giving false information right back. Hitters deal in Violence, mostly minimizing the necessary application of it. You're thieves, not murder-hobos. Masterminds deal in Plans, properly applying the other four areas to complete objectives. Thieves deal in access. They go where they're not allowed and let others in as necessary.

Your character has a die for all five Roles, but for now you only need to worry about two. One role, the primary roll, is a d10 and is quite literally your raison de vivre. This roll is your claim to fame before you passed beyond and the skills your patron want to tap to get things done. Patton is a d10 Mastermind, Cleopatra a d10 Grifter, Jack Dempsey a d10 Hitter and so on.

Your secondary role, represented by a d8, flavors your approach with your primary role. A Hitter d10/Hacker d8 is quite different from a Hitter d10/Mastermind d8. In this game, it also represents something about the person who's body is now yours. A d8 Thief may have been someone more agile than the norm, a d8 grifter probably made a living being less than accurate with the truth. Something to keep in mind when creating a character.

The other three roles (1 d6 and 2 d4) will be determined in play!

Stats are self evident. There are six: Strength, Intelligence, Alertness, Agility, Willpower, and Endurance. One wrinkle is that all six stats are used for social roles, depending on the situation. Stats can be distributed in two arrays: Focused (2 d10, 2 d8, 2d6) and Versatile (1 d10, 4 d8, 1 d6).

Distinctions are just like Marvel Heroic, pithy single phrases that describe your character. Just like Marvel, when the Distinction is positive you can add a d8 to your pool and when it's a hindrance you can add it as a d4 to the pool and earn a Plot Point. As such, you'll want your Distinctions to be a double edged sword to keep a steady flow of good dice and plot points.

You start with one distinction, and two more will be added in play.

Talents are the equivalent of Sfx, special tricks that distinguish you from the crowd. They can modify rolls, change the point economy, or allow you to ignore complications under certain circumstances. You start with two Talents which are generated in play.

Specializations are specific skills such as Cooking, Drinking, or Terrible Accents. They're attached to one of your roles, and add a d6 to any role that includes that role and an applicable situation. In addition, which role you attach a specialization to defines how you apply that skill. Driving (Hitter) and Driving (Mastermind) are two very different approaches to moving a car around.

Specializations are also generated during play!

In short, an application is going to require at the least your two roles, one distinction, and stats. If you have a burning need to emphasize how bad Caligula is at hacking feel free to fill out more of the sheet, but it does reduce some of the fun of the first job.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
I don't know what the gently caress any of this is, but you are one of my favourite posters and I need to learn new games systems anyway.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
FUUUUCK YES!

Would you be fine with a Hacker doing his thang via :ghost: powers? More specifically, I think about brushing up on the Leverage Noir companion book and perhaps slightly tweaking its wireman stuff for something slightly more ghostly and modern (gently caress computers though).

[edit] It'd also involve poo poo sparking as it's being ghosted.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 21, 2015

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

This looks hella interesting. I am not familiar with the system, but would like to learn it.

Do you want a description of the person before they died and the body they occupy now, or just the former?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Lichtenstein posted:

FUUUUCK YES!

Would you be fine with a Hacker doing his thang via :ghost: powers? More specifically, I think about brushing up on the Leverage Noir companion book and perhaps slightly tweaking its wireman stuff for something slightly more ghostly and modern (gently caress computers though).

[edit] It'd also involve poo poo sparking as it's being ghosted.

Unfortunately you are no longer a ghost! You are 100 percent bonafide living human person, except that you have the memories and experiences of someone quite familiar with being an ex-person. While that does limit you to normal person things, think of all the hilarious montage opportunities as you go from speaking into the mouse to popping firewalls like bubblewrap. Anything too spoopy would be a violation of those mysterious laws of existence and your patron has seen fit to limit your options on that scale.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I guess then I'll go with a horrible IT nerd that suddenly found himself possessed by an oldschool swanky lady-killing grifter.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Ooh, Leverage. Shiny. Before I start making a character (Thinking Mastermind/Hacker or Mastermind/Hitter?) what's the intended tone and setting of the game? I mean, yeah, the crew share a background in being recently dead, but is this, like, 1970s America, modern day Europe, near future Japan? I have an idea in my head, but it might not fit the setting depending on how that shakes out.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

I'm gonna go for a Hitter/Grifter, methinks. Thug with a heart of gold, that sort of thing.

About the "host" of the spirit... is this somebody that also died recently recently, or is it more of a merge thing?

Actually, is there an IRC channel for this thing? Might be easier to ask questions then :v:

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

I imagine a skateboarding young Thief would do well with the spirit of a well-worn Mastermind with a fiery disposition and a taste for the good life. The very embodiment of a lit cigar trapped in form of a punk kid who can't even smoke 'em.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
Hellé Nice was never a humble woman. A dancer, model, and budding sex icon in 1920's Paris, she had a lust for excitement that couldn't be satisfied. Though automobile racing had started as one of her many pastime amusements, when a skiing accident ended her dancing career, she decided to make a go of racing professionally. And go she did! Racing, winning, breaking records, and courting disaster. On the track, she was unstoppable! But off the track, the Nazi terror was brewing, and just as she was poised to have it all, auto racing was halted by the machinery of war.

In her Côte d'Azur Chateau, she waited, hoping for the day when the Fascist occupation would lift, and things would go back to normal. But when that day finally came, it was bitter-sweet at best. At a party to celebrate the return of racing to Europe, a rival racer, Grand Prix champion, Louis Chiron, denounced Hellé, falsely accusing her of having been a Gestapo informant and spy. Though it was in fact Chiron who had worked with the Nazis during the war, no one would dare question the word of Monaco's favorite son. And so, once again, the Nazis took racing away from Hellé, and with it her lovers, admirers, wealth, and fame. She died, alone, penniless, and almost entirely forgotten, decades later.

But they couldn't take her records, her triumphs, or her thrill-seeking spirit. Hellé Nice would race again! And Imani Darzi, a fairly average Arizona dramatic arts student, would be in for the ride-along of her lifetime.

Imani, an immigrant from Mali, raised in the U.S., was nearing the end of her degree program. Though she'd initially set out with dreams of becoming an actor, over time, she started seeing that as a less viable option. Set design, prop building, and costumes seemed to be a more natural fit for her, and she was settling into the role quite well, working on a musical interpretation of the 1927 classic "Metropolis."

Unfortunately, while helping to rig up a backdrop to the stage pulleys, she was accidentally knocked off a ladder, and landed heavily on her neck. Her last memory before blacking out was of a bright blue Bugatti Type 35 flying through the elaborate matte painting of Fredersen's Tower of Babel that she'd worked so hard on, and crashing down onto her.

pre:
Imani Darzi/Hellé Nice

Roles: 
	Thief [d10], Grifter [d8]

Stats:
	Strength     [d6]
        Intelligence [d6]
        Alertness    [d8]
        Agility      [d10]
        Willpower    [d10]
        Endurance    [d8]

Distinctions:
	The Queen of Speed

Talents:

Specialties: 
	?

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 23, 2015

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Al Capone, by way of Justin Lamarck

Now I know why tigers eat their young.

Alphonse Gabriel Capone was a legendary American gangster, known for his bootlegging and racketeering empire. He was regarded as a celebrity for his acts of kindness, including donations to several charities, opening soup kitchens, and fighting against prohibition laws. However, he was still a criminal at heart and his image was forever tarnished by the Saint Valentine's Day Massacre, ending the lives of seven rival gang members by his command. He was tried and convicted at 33 for income tax evasion, soon after which he fell ill. He perished in 1947 from cardiac arrest in his lovely Palm Island mansion.

Justin failed that particular test in high school, but managed to skate by with his diploma regardless. Now a freshman in community college, he's exploring the idea of a career as a sketch artist. He's already taken out a student loan which will no doubt go unpaid for some time. He often shoplifts from Spencer's, Hot Topic and Hollister (when he feels ballsy) to get by on his swag quota. His criminal record is gradually growing, though it's hardly intimidating: loitering, trespassing, and one count of petty theft (his first count as a minor, a slap on the wrists).

His divorced mother provides him with little enough: a trailer, TV, internet, a smartphone, and a half-decent deck. His father out-of-state lets him sit in the bar and recount his crazy-rear end skating stories. Of course, it's not all rum and roses. He can see the fist of the government ready to come down on both his folks; they have poo poo for credit and borrowed most of their success. When he suddenly has the business know-how of the most infamous benefactor of the last century, what's to stop him from taking back what the feds are keeping from his family?

quote:

Al Capone/Justin Lamarck

Role:
Mastermind: d10
Thief: d8

Stats:
Agility: d10
Alertness: d8
Endurance: d6
Intelligence: d10
Strength: d6
Willpower: d8

Distinctions:
Modern-Day Robin Hood

Talents:

Specialties:

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Hacker/Mastermind will be here soon! I'm thinking Alan Turing and someone suitably Mastermind-ish.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Davin Valkri posted:

Ooh, Leverage. Shiny. Before I start making a character (Thinking Mastermind/Hacker or Mastermind/Hitter?) what's the intended tone and setting of the game? I mean, yeah, the crew share a background in being recently dead, but is this, like, 1970s America, modern day Europe, near future Japan? I have an idea in my head, but it might not fit the setting depending on how that shakes out.

Kerzoro posted:

I'm gonna go for a Hitter/Grifter, methinks. Thug with a heart of gold, that sort of thing.

About the "host" of the spirit... is this somebody that also died recently recently, or is it more of a merge thing?

Actually, is there an IRC channel for this thing? Might be easier to ask questions then :v:

Sorry for not making these more explicitely clear, but I did write the OP at 1 in the morning. The setting is modern, the location at least beginning in the US. You may or may not need to take over a small European island nation or two, we'll play it by ear.

You are definitely not required to be a recently dead person, because then we couldn't have people app Hella Nice or Confucius. Your body, however, IS recently dead. Metaphysically, Soul (no expiration date) + Body (not too far past useby date) = Character. How detailed you want your body's previous owner is up to you, and I will gladly fill in back detail if all you really want to flesh out is "Dude hit good, I guess?" should it become applicable.

I am not an IRC going fellow, myself, but if everyone hangs out at #Partyhard or whichever I can pop in on occasion.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Also, here's a MASTERLIST of current and pending apps to reference and see what we may be missing

Completed
Danger-Pumpkin: Hella Nice Thief/Grifter
Rather Watch Them: Al Capone Mastermind/Thief

Tentative
Lichtenstein: Hacker/Grifter?
Davin Valkri: Mastermind/Hacker or Mastermind/Hitter?
Tempus Rimeblood: Hacker/Mastermind?

So if you are interested in making an app perhaps make a punch man. Or punch woman. Someone what does the punching.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
I can switch over to Hitter/Mastermind, I think. Just means the final chara will be less "grown up Naoto Shirogane" and more "flesh and blood Maj. Motoko Kusanagi".

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Marianne - "Flash"/ Diana Perez

If you had asked her, Marianne-- or Flash, as she vastly preferred to be called-- would tell you that she considers herself pretty fortunate. Certainly, she was pretty much born and raised on the streets, and she never accumulated even a modicum of wealth, but she was content.

She didn't really ever go hungry, even if the meals she often had were rarely sufficient. She never had to do anything unsavory to earn her keep-- some might disagree, certainly, but anybody that stepped into that cage with her knew exactly what they were getting into.

What did she do? Why, she fought, of course. She grew tall and strong, in part thanks to the old man that taught her how to fight, in exchange for scraps of food she brought him.

Where did she fight? Well, some people will pay well to see nice and bloody fights away from the world of sanctioned sports. Plenty of hoodlums like herself could earn a quick buck by beating the hell out of each other in an enclosed space, while the crowd roared around them.

Death? Well, it happened. Sometimes. Rarely, actually. No weapons were really allowed in that cage (perhaps one of the few rules actually enforced), but fighting is dangerous. Flash knew a few old timers that went into the cage never expecting to come back out-- welcoming it even.

She knew the feeling well. Fighting filled something primal in her. As she aged, she thought that one day, she would step into that cage, facing against somebody younger and better, and would not come back out. She liked that thought, but she also sought to make things better to those around her, to those living in the street. Childless, she thought to leave a legacy.

Living in the gutter is no excuse to be a piece of crap. Help your neighbors, they may just return the favor. Don't push others around, you would not like to be in their shoes. Stand for others as you would for yourself. That sort of thing.

Flash would never meet her end on the ring. A piece of poo poo drug peddler looking for more territory would shoot her on the back. And so her story came to an end.

Or it should have.

Diana Perez is a slightly plump woman, working hard as a waitress, in order to maintain her small household as well as her two siblings, Hernando, a troubled teenage boy and Carolina, a young girl.

Diana would, sadly, be the victim of a hit-and-run, which left her in a coma. As the doctors were prepared to declare her brain-dead, she woke up.

Only thing is, she's not the one at the wheel anymore.

quote:

Role:
Hitter d10
Grifter d8

Stats (Focused)
Strength: d10
Intelligence: d6
Alertness: d6
Endurance: d8

Distinction:
With Power for a Better Tomorrow

---

Not somebody famous, perhaps. I'm kinda bad at that.

Kerzoro fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 22, 2015

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

When asked to explain what he did for a living during the 1929 murder trial of mob boss Arnold Rothstein, Titanic Thompson answered “I play a little golf for money.”

While not technically a lie, it was a rather understated way to sum up the freewheeling life of the infamous hustler, card shark, crack shot and an "unsinkable" gambler that travelled all across the America. He had won millions living by his wits, had slain four men and divorced four women - but they'd all agree they had it coming. The poor, illiterate boy from rural Arkansas would go on to gamble with gangsters, drink with Hollywood elites, dance with dames and hustle his way through both World Wars.

Anton Price, on the other hand, was a son of a wealthy San Franciscan real estate broker and a fashion photographer. Despite being one of the top students, he flunked out of MIT due to a (temporary) Everquest addiction. Following a rather heated discussion with his parents, he moved out and found a job at Lineham Industries' IT Department. The unassuming and underappreciated job - in his words - was a perfect cover for the lucrative world of cybercrime, or as others would put it, an opportunity to turn company servers into bitcoin rigs and waste all days hanging out with Anonymous. Anton died on August 21, hit by a car after having crossed the red light while browsing Reddit on his smartphone.

About the only thing the two had in common was the fondness for fedoras.

quote:

Role:
Grifter: d10
Hacker: d8

Stats:
Agility: d8
Alertness: d10

Distinctions:
Never Tell Me The Odds

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 22, 2015

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Well, all the roles just got swiped. And we have two hacker-primary roles waiting in the wings. So maybe I'll go Hitter/Thief instead. I've found the perfect spirit... come to think of it, she works perfectly well as any combination of Hitter, Thief, and Mastermind. Aaaah, I don't know which to pick! :confused:

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 22, 2015

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Well, there's an app for a Thief primary, a Thief secondary, a Mastermind primary, and a Hitter primary. So there's going to be overlap no matter what you choose. I'd say, go with your gut.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Okay, I think I'll go Hitter/Thief then. Here we go...

Hikari Hatsuka, possessed by Mochizuki Chiyome

/

In the 16th century there lived a noble named Mochizuki Chiyome. It is said that she was descended from a clan famous for their shinobi. While her husband fought in active war, she was employed to make an all-female class of kuniochi for her ruler. She and her agents served professionally and well in their role of infiltration and assassination. Then their ruler was killed and their clan dispersed, whereupon she and her organization faded and died in obscurity. Ah well.

In the 20th century there lived a private investigator named Hikari Hatsuka. Her specialty was, in her words, "direct investigation". That meant that she liked to break into houses and search for infidelity or evidence that someone with a false name was actually an escaped suspect. One day she broke into the underground archives of a suspect company and started digging through their paper records, searching for information about a bad dismissal. Then an earthquake happened, an improperly secured cabinet landed on her head, and she died. Ah well.

In the modern day, there are ways to come back from apparently fatal brain damage. Possession is one of them, apparently. Now a 16th century murderer is going to have to get used to 20th century morals. And a 20th century investigator will have to live with 16th century break-in methods. Ah well. At least she's back on her feet.

Role:
Hitter: d10
Thief: d8
(Mastermind: d6?)

Stats (Generalist):
Alertness: d6
Endurance: d8
Intelligence: d8
Strength: d8

Distinction:
Calm Minds make Fast Hands

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 23, 2015

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

What are we missing? Just a Hacker app? I keep thinking like there's a sixth class, and their isn't.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Everybody is looking real good! I'm going to leave this open another two/three days to see if anyone else wants to get a character in, otherwise we're going to have a surfeit of punching. Which is not actually a problem, although the lack of computer access may be....

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

Everybody is looking real good! I'm going to leave this open another two/three days to see if anyone else wants to get a character in, otherwise we're going to have a surfeit of punching. Which is not actually a problem, although the lack of computer access may be....

Well the entire reason I didn't go hacking is because two people claimed the role already!

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I hope at least one of them (or an as yet undetermined third person) apps it. I really want to see Genghis Khan conquer the entire world of warcraft.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Davin Valkri posted:

Well the entire reason I didn't go hacking is because two people claimed the role already!

Well, if no one else applies you can feel free and change your sheet if you want. gently caress it, change your sheet even if someone else applies! Follow your bliss!

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

I hope at least one of them (or an as yet undetermined third person) apps it. I really want to see Genghis Khan conquer the entire world of warcraft.

When I mentioned Caligula being really bad at hacking in the OP, I was secretly daring someone to prove me wrong. The dare still stands....

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Caligula in the body of the late Steve Jobs.

The ultimate criminal.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
John Maringelli, opening his brainpan to Grace Hopper

Admiral Grace Hopper was seven different kinds of ridiculous. First, you have getting a doctorate in 1934, from Yale of all places, not exactly the least stodgy center for higher learning in the world. Then, after nine years teaching math at Vassar, she ups and joins the Navy, despite weighing 105 pounds, 15 below their minimum. Working on the closest thing to a computer at the time, and publishing three papers on programming? Yeah, no big. After the war was over, she liked the Navy so much she stayed in the reserves, and at Harvard even though Vassar offered professorship.

She kept working on computers for the rest of her life, which is the major reason she got to be an admiral, since Navy regs required retirement at age 60 from reservists, and she was a commander on that birthday. They kept calling her out of retirement, though, and in 1983 after she was on 60 Minutes Illinois Rep. Phil Crane thought she deserved a little more recognition. Congress promoted her to commodore (which eventually was renamed rear admiral), and for the next three years she kept talking about how computers were loving awesome and you folks really oughta stop doing all this math yourselves when they're better at it. The Navy does have its limits, though, and she finally quit for good at four months short of 80, at which point many people have already been dead for several years. Hopper finally stopped giving out 11.8-inch lengths of telephone wire (light-nanoseconds) in 1992, when the Grim Reaper got his scythe into the crafty beldame, giving her a nice cozy spot in Arlington National Cemetary.

John Maringelli, on the other hand, worked as a profiler for the FBI, and took down a fair number of unsavory characters during that time. His specialty was managing the team, and in particular assembling a good enough picture of the suspect that he could poke the fucker into running right past three feds and into a pair of handcuffs. Unfortunately, even the savviest LEO can be unlucky, and his last unsub pulled out a gun and got a few shots off. Normally, that wouldn't have mattered, since they wore body armor, but John was sitting across the street, and caught one bullet right in the neck. It wasn't a calm death, and the car went down and off the pier. They never found the body, because John's now doing a bit of a different job, and he doesn't really have time to go to the morgue.

Role:
Hacker d10
Mastermind d8

Stats:
Agility: d8
Alertness: d10

Distinction: Look Before You Leap

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?
You want ancient hackers? Here's an ancient hacker.

Hero of Alexandria in the body of Stewart Quentin Millington Jr.

There were no computers in ancient Greece, but there was no shortage of thinkers. Hero was one of the best, being the first to invent vending machines, steam engines, and a couple of other things we take for granted today. He died long before any of those inventions really caught on, of course. Time happens to everyone. But he always wondered what the future would look like.

Stewart (Stu-Dog to his friends) was one of those middle-class kids who thought his life was just the absolute worst. Nothing exciting ever happened in his stupid hometown, and his mom? Ugh, such a busybody. So Stewart fell in with the bad kids, because at least they weren't so lame. Shoplifting, vandalizing, and doing incredibly unsafe freerunning stunts. In retrospect, that last one was bound to end poorly eventually.

Now that he's both alive and young again, Hero is quickly adapting to the modern world. Stewart was carrying his laptop when he died, and Hero wasted no time learning the ways of the internet. Including trying to find out how the whole thing works. With a little help from Stewart's muscle memory, Hero is well on his way to becoming a cyber-savvy techno-menace.

He still types like the most stereotypical of teenagers, though.

pre:
Roles
Hacker			d10
Thief			d8
???			d6
???			d4
???			d4

Stats
Agility			d10
Alertness		d6
Endurance		d8
Intelligence		d10
Strength		d8
Willpower		d6

Distinctions
Insufferable Academic
???
???

Talents
???
???

Specializations
???

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Dang. Those are some good choices.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Mr. Maltose posted:

Getting a hacker doesn't look like it'll be a problem now.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Ugh ugh ugh this has been a very difficult recruit but I've going to close it out here.

The team will be

Hero of Alexandria who hacks Gibsons for
Helle Nice who opens doors for
Titanic Thompson who tricks marks (possibly by throwing walnuts over buildings) for
Mochizuki Chiyome who does not do violence very specifically for
Al Capone who plans out the entire thing for
??????

Now isn't that a good question.

There are several probable suspects in this endeavour, but only you five really know who brought you back. The gods of the dead have different interests and different desires to be met, and will no doubt have different jobs to complete.

Were you all brought back by:

Dis Pater, the Rich Father of Rome who's domain is everything under the earth including its riches?
The Ghede, cool dude party gods who in knowing death know the joys of life?
Osiris, Rightful King of the Dead to whom all kings must one day kneel?
Bonne Mort, the guy with the scythe and the black wardrobe
Somebody else? Maybe you know something I don't, specifically the actual divinity that threw back the crew.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Dis Pater would have a lot of sense sending us to steal money, rather than build wells in Darfur and whatever. Especially if that money rightfully belonged to the dead/underworld.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I like Osiris, myself. Everybody equal under death has an...appeal.

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?
Dis Pater. Can't go wrong with money! Or oil. Or gold. Point is, we'll probably be dealing with wealth in some form or another.

Auraboks fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 5, 2015

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Uhgg... I flipped a coin (three East Caribbean $1 coins, to be precise,) between Bonne Mort and The Ghede...

And with three heads, it's gotta' be The Ghede.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

The Ghede and me have nudged elbows before, but my business lies mainly with Dis Pater.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

...are we going to have to steal us a GM? :ohdear:

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Rip in pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Game thread has been delayed by technical issues. It will be up by Tuesday.

• Locked thread