Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.

quote:

Black Sails is an American dramatic adventure television series set on New Providence Island and a prequel to Robert Louis Stevenson's novel Treasure Island. The series was created by Jonathan E. Steinberg and Robert Levine for Starz that debuted online for free on Youtube and other various streaming platform and video on demand services on January 18, 2014.[4] The debut on cable tv followed a week later on January 25, 2014. Steinberg is executive producer, alongside Michael Bay, Brad Fuller and Andrew Form, while Michael Angeli, Doris Egan, and Levine are co-executive producers. On July 26, 2013, Starz renewed the show for a ten-episode second season. The early renewal was based on the positive fan reaction to the show at the San Diego Comic-Con. In France and Germany the Premiere came out two weeks earlier on January 10, 2014, on the Pay TV Channel Starz. On January 17, 2014, Starz released the first episode on YouTube.

The series was renewed for a third season on October 12, 2014, before its second season had started airing

Set roughly two decades before the events of Treasure Island and during the Golden Age of Piracy, the feared Captain Flint brings on a younger crew member as they fight for the survival of New Providence Island. According to the first episode, "In 1715, West Indies, the pirates of New Providence Island threaten maritime trade in the region. The laws of every civilized nation declare them hostis humani generis; enemies of all mankind. In response, the pirates adhere to a doctrine of their own....war against the world."

Real life pirates that are fictionalized in the show include Anne Bonny, Benjamin Hornigold, Jack Rackham, and Charles Vane.

The plot focuses on the hunt for the Spanish treasure galleon Urca de Lima.

Wikipedia page

Previously on Black Sails...

Captain James "Tiberius" Flint and Co. attempt to track down the Urca de Lima.

Things.. do not go well....

And Flint, Silver, and co. end up on an island complete with the missing treasure wrecked ashore.

Meanwhile, Captain Vane, after eliminating Blackbeard a mysterious man with a black beard, goes :black101: and takes over Nassau, putting himself in charge

Season 2 Premieres this Saturday!

Season 2 Teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljw0svd-pVg

=============

Liam Emsa fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Yeah woo pirates yarrr

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Yarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, it be back. Plus they have a decided impetus to get the gently caress off the island and do piratey poo poo quick smart.

Show makers, I want more of Anne Bonney and less of bad blondie main actress, thank you. Also describing Flint in terms of Kirk is bizarrely fitting, good call.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Fuckin right, it seemed like none of the shows I watch started in the regular fall season, glad to have one coming back. I hope the AV Club will have the same retard reviewing this, it was funny just how piss poorly he followed and understood it from week to week.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
FYI, that wasn't Blackbeard that Vane defeated.

Blackbeard survived her stabbing ;)

Burning_Monk fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 23, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

poo poo. I had no idea this was back so soon. Can't wait.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Yay pirates! Man o' War.gif is :tviv: as gently caress

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

i forgot how much that last episode owned

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Awesome. This was definitely one of the better new shows in recent times.

That engagement in the season finale was intense. Might have to rewatch before the new episode airs.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I like how the John Silver really walks the fine line between completely unlikable and just charming enough.

This show was a lot of fun.

I'm sad the hurdy gurdy didn't get a mention in the thread title, that is an instrument of musical brilliance.

Also R.I.P. Gates.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Yeah, Gates. :(

I just wanted to see him buckle and swash.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
I'm so hyped for this! I hope Rackham has an even bigger role in the upcoming season, I love his caracter. He's like Jay Baruchel in pirate garb, it's hilarious

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Here we go again :) Season 3 is shooting now. Post production starts this may. The is the hardest job I have to do by far so hope you guys like it.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Oh c'mon, drop a hint or reference or something.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

rejutka posted:

Oh c'mon, drop a hint or reference or something.

no spoilers!

Cat Sidhe
Jan 9, 2015
Oh cool, been looking forward to this. I hope Blackbeard returns :blush:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

"Arca de Lima" homey.

jamoncorona
Apr 9, 2014
Usually I skip intros, but the model work and the song make this a must see. Love that hurdy gurdy.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

rejutka posted:

Yeah, Gates. :(

I just wanted to see him buckle and swash.

Aw, man... the pain had just started to fade :( He had so much more to teach the young upstarts.

Will the opening credits models be the same? On the one hand, it'd be a shame to lose such an awesome intro, but on the other, I'd love to see what else the team could come up with.

Also, what's the O/U on when Billy Bones shows back up in a puff of smoke and biceps? Treasure Island canon aside, Tom Hopper all but confirmed it in an interview.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

KatWithHands posted:

Will the opening credits models be the same? On the one hand, it'd be a shame to lose such an awesome intro, but on the other, I'd love to see what else the team could come up with.

I watched it On Demand tonight. It's a mix of the older models and some newer ones and is still awesome as hell.

The episode was fantastic too.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

KatWithHands posted:

Also, what's the O/U on when Billy Bones shows back up in a puff of smoke and biceps? Treasure Island canon aside, Tom Hopper all but confirmed it in an interview.

Next episode if it were up to me. Qualified guess would be at the halfway point of the season.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

savinhill posted:

Fuckin right, it seemed like none of the shows I watch started in the regular fall season, glad to have one coming back. I hope the AV Club will have the same retard reviewing this, it was funny just how piss poorly he followed and understood it from week to week.

Thank you for reminding me about this. Those reviews (and the general decline of others) is why I stopped reading the AV Club. They used to be good; now most of the writers think that using half-assed critical theory to look at a television show is the same as real insight.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 24, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Did they recast the head of the mutineers?

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Bahahaha poor John.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

muscles like this? posted:

Did they recast the head of the mutineers?

Yeah, thought he looked different. Confirmed by the credits.

Good start to the season.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Well then, sounds like Ned Low was a god awful person, this should be fun. :munch:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Teek posted:

Yeah, thought he looked different. Confirmed by the credits.

Good start to the season.

Kind of weird they got a guy that looked almost but not quite exactly the same.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
So happy the show's back. Great premiere, glad we're finally getting some Captain backstory.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Kind of weird they got a guy that looked almost but not quite exactly the same.

Unfortunately the old guy had a medical issue and had to leave the show.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jst0rm posted:

Unfortunately the old guy had a medical issue and had to leave the show.

Nooooooo, bummer. Really liked the old guy. :(

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
who left? Mr Gates?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Pirates with a loving warship.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

ded posted:

Now they only need to find about 600 more pirates needed to effectively crew it :haw:

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

ded posted:

Silver was glorious.

Expected him to sell out, did not expect him to turn around and backstab the interrogator.

Also

KatWithHands posted:

I hope they find him in the brigg. :ohdear:

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Xoidanor posted:

Nooooooo, bummer. Really liked the old guy. :(

He did a great job with that character. Hopefully the production will bring him back in some capacity. There is talk...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

who left? Mr Gates?

The original Dufresne, the pirate on Flint's crew with the glasses.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Ah man, he got brain cancer:

http://www.janneseiselen.com/

Hoping things turn out well for him.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Teek posted:

Ah man, he got brain cancer:

http://www.janneseiselen.com/

Hoping things turn out well for him.

Starz is loving cursed.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I always like seeing the characters in their old life before they pursue the life of piracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Poor Jack :(

• Locked thread