Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mid_Ben
Apr 10, 2008
DFW Goon checking in, seconding Lockheart Smokehouse. Its not EXACTLY in Dallas (just a few miles Southwest of downtown) but it's my favorite barbecue that i've ever had in a restaurant.

Also, Terra's hummus is bananas good, reminds me of the stuff I got when I visited Israel a few years ago. IDK if it's worthwhile driving all the way to Fort Worth for it though.

Finally, if you want a place for beer AND food, go to The Flying Saucer. They've got locations all around the metroplex, and while the Dallas Gingerman is really cool, the food selection is... lacking. If you want to go there, eat somewhere else first and then head there.

My recommendations for Dallas:

PIZZA: Serious Pizza in Deep Ellum. They make these MONSTER PIES and while that can seem gimmicky, they do a really good job with their crust. I am a NY transplant and can say that this place makes one of my favorite slices around. Just get 1-2 slices, you will not regret it!

BEER: Down the street from Serious Pizza is the Deep Ellum Brewing Company. They run tours from 12-3 on Saturdays for $10 and that gets you the glass and 3 beers. There are plenty of breweries in the DFW area but that's my favorite in Dallas proper.

BARBECUE: See above, I will fight a guy to get Lockheart Smokehouse BBQ. The owner is a member of the Kreuz family, and they source their sausage from Kreuz Market (located in Lockheart TX).

Get you some.

Eat it with your hands like an animal.

TACOS: You have two options, Velvet Taco and Fuel City Tacos. Starting with Fuel City, they're located at a gas station. Go there at 2 AM when you're done drinking and eat all of the tacos. They are awesome. Go to Velvet Taco if you're in the mood for a Chicken Tikka Masala 'Taco' (served on roti) with basmatti rice and topped with raita. In short, Velvet Taco is fancy but doesn't qualify as authentic at all, whereas Fuel City is super authentic but you're hanging out at an oversized gas station market to get them.

BURGERS: Rodeo Goat! It's run by the same people that run the Flying Saucer chain, but there's currently 2 locations (Dallas and Fort Worth). I've been to the Fort Worth location a bunch and they've always got an inventive lineup of hamburgers to try.

PM me if you have any questions or are looking for something specific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mid_Ben
Apr 10, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

Nobody's touched on Houston yet, so I'll give that a shot. I'm gonna stay away from Cajun, since you're going to be in New Orleans and you can do better there (why has nobody mentioned Coop's Place? Go there in NOLA)

Revival Market - Butcher shop, specialty market, but they have a cafe inside and do pretty drat good stuff. Their charcuterie is pretty on point as well, if you want to pick some up.

Ninfa's on Navigation - Great old school Tex-Mex. Go here if you want enchiladas with lots of cheese while in Houston. That said, there's a ton of good Tex-Mex in Austin and DFW also, so this isn't that unique.

For good beer, your best bets in Houston are either Petrol Station or Hay Merchant. I have a strong preference for Petrol Station personally, but they're both good.

Don't bother trying to get BBQ in Houston. There are a couple good places, but you have to be there early and you can expect a wait. Get BBQ in Austin.

Burgers - hoo boy. Hubcap Grill is a local favorite, my personal choice is Bernie's Burger Bus, Miller's Cafe is a solid old style Texas burger, there's really too many places to list. Houston's gone burger crazy over the last 5 years.

Queen Vic Pub - British Indian food. Himalaya is also really good, as is London Sizzler.

La Guadalupana for Mexican

Dolce Vita if you want pizza here, I'd put those guys up against anyone in the state

There's a ton of good food here, I'm struggling to add more without knowing if you're actually going to be in town for a couple days, or just spending a day here and looking for a couple highlights.

I've heard the Chinese food scene is actually decent in Houston, Care to elaborate?

• Locked thread