Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003
I've lived in downtown Dallas for years, though I now split my time between there and DC. When you're in Dallas, you should probably try Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum. Dallas has, historically, been a barbecue wasteland, but that has changed in recent years, and Pecan Lodge is considered one of the best in the state. Alternatively, Lockhart Smokehouse is quite good too (I usually make a point of visiting Lockhart whenever I'm back in Dallas), and for a more upscale barbecue experience, Smoke, on Ft. Worth avenue in Dallas is very good. The Dallas/Ft. Worth area also has some outstanding local breweries, so you should keep an eye out for locally brewed beer if you drink. And Balcones whiskey, if you can find it (good luck with that). Kreuz Market, about half an hour south of Austin, is considered one of the legendary barbecue joints in the state - you might give that a try as well. There will probably be a line.

There are a million and one hole-in-the-wall Mexican and Tex-Mex joints in Texas, obviously. In Dallas, Herrera's is good. Wild Salsa in downtown Dallas is one of my favorites. I also highly recommend CBD Provisions at the Joule Hotel in downtown - try the Berkshire pig's head carnitas, if there's enough of you to make it worthwhile. These are both on Main St., and not far from each other at all, and both pride themselves on using local ingredients. CBD has a thoughtfully chosen beer list as well.

And if you want to spend some time at a nice, civilized bar in either Dallas or Austin, with an outstanding beer selection, I suggest the Ginger Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003
One thing to keeping mind is that during tourist season not many people are bothering to make reservations. When I was in New Orleans for New Year's, and we spontaneously decided to try a well-known place, we would just make an Open Table reservation on the walk up to the restaurant. Worked wonders.

• Locked thread