Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Lord Superchrome posted:

Like I said, I'm only 2 hours into Skyrim and I've never played a TES game previously, but I'm into it. If you put yourself in my shoes, I'm sure you can understand where I'd see similarities with this snowy dragon-world.

Also when my friend heard I was getting into Skyrim, he immediately recommended like 3GB of mods and said the un-modded game was bad. Am I making a mistake by playing the game normally here?

Your friend is an idiot. If anything I'd echo what's been said about getting a few basic things like the Unofficial Patches, and SkyUI. Then hit up this thread once you have an idea of what you actually want to change.

Anyway, anyone know what happened to this bigass project?

E: Turns out that project was cancelled. Would have been cool to see some off-the-rails batshit insane stuff like a Thalmor Space Station.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

FutonForensic posted:

That had Kirkbride involved, right? It'd make sense that the project would be as unstable as he is. :cheeky:

Apparently Kirkbride and Trainwiz only had advisory roles, with Kirkbride only providing a small amount of capital for them to work with. Here's a thread that sort of explains what happened

Also

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Even better once people started making trick arrow mods.

Why yes, I think I'll launch a frenzy arrow into the crowd during the Solitude wedding.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

But no, by and large Indarys and Rethan have been left aside because House Telvanni is by far the most popular of the three Great Houses.

I fail to see the problem here :colbert:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Superstring posted:

Can't they just, I dunno, take the landmass that's already modeled for TES:O and use it for TES VI? I want payoff for the Thalmor stuff.

Hammerfell WOULD be a payoff for the Thalmor stuff. Having to reunite Hammerfell with what remains of the Empire (assuming you took the side of the Imperials in Skyrim) through some political machinations and occasional elf/human traitor slaughtering would be cool.

On top of that I'd like to see a game where they take some of the poo poo that came out of Skyrim modding (mainly Frostfall and iNeed/RN&D) and make it a base feature (a la hardcore mode from NV). A title based in a desert environment would be perfect for that (managing heat exposure, staying fed and hydrated, etc.)

Gameplay-wise, I'll just post what I posted back in the Skyrim subforum threads a while back

quote:

What I want to see:
-Useful skill trees, not overpowered ones (archery) or useless ones (alteration). I figured that since they took out Acrobatics from Oblivion, they'd at least do some movement enhancing spells in the Alteration tree, but nope.
-Use seorin's passive skill leveling as a base. None of this stupid "waste 5 perk points to make a skill actually useful" poo poo. And perks that are actually useful, not just filler crap.
-Weapon & armor degradation. It's kind of boring to just buy/make gear, upgrade it, and never have to worry about it going bad ever.
-A built-in Hardcore mode like New Vegas. Maybe toss in weather adaptation like Frostfall too.
-Synergy between the schools of magic.
-Make the different weapon styles actually different, so people don't just default to sword and board the whole way.
-Bring back Oblivion's morality system.
-Better questlines, less of the "Hey yeah you started two days ago, but you saved the guild so we're making you leader" like the Companions and more like "I run this poo poo, you may have saved us from the vampire menace, but I'm still in charge here," like the Dawnguard. Make the small sidejobs actually count before progressing through the questlines. Oh and make them actually take your skillset into account, so you don't end up running the warrior's guild as a lanky mage-type.

quote:

Another thing. Make training actually worthwhile. Not just some stupid "here's some cash, please give me 5 skill ups" thing; make training actually train you in whatever you're training for. Like:

-Archery? Here's a bow and some arrows, go hunt me down 5 bears and bring me their pelts.
-Alchemy? Go find me these ingredients, and make me this potion and bring it to me.

quote:

It'd be awesome if they went back to Morrowind's loot system while removing the dumb loot scaling system, and made the economy a lot more brutal.

Smithing
Maybe they could make it so that if you start as an Orc, you could craft Orcish weapons and armor from the start. Or maybe if you roll Altmer, you already had the knowledge of crafting with Moonstone. And toss Dwarven crafting straight out the window. Even the best goddamn blacksmiths couldn't reproduce Dwarven metal/weapons/armors, so why the gently caress does the PC get sudden magical knowledge on how they work. Make all Dwarven stuff artifacts, and stick them in either museums, private houses owned by super rich/powerful people, or in dwarven ruins, guarded by automatons, but make them pretty high-tier, because the Dwemer were pretty goddamn good at crafting. They could introduce some sort of Blacksmith's guild, and add a questline in there that doesn't make you leader of said guild, but instead granted you knowledge on how to craft different materials as you proceeded to the questline, culminating in a final quest where you ventured into a Daedric realm in some sort of crazy rear end plan to craft an entire set of Daedric armor, either for yourself, or for some schlub who couldn't bother to do it himself (at which point you doublecross said client and keep the stuff for yourself). Each major city would have a guildhall, and specific guildhalls would have a small questline to learn how to craft with a material type (Malachite/Glass, Ebony, Moonstone).

Alchemy
Basically the same as smithing, only with alchemical ingredients. Stuff like Human Hearts, Daedra Hearts, Human Flesh, and other very dangerous ingredients/potions would fall under some sort of contraband/illegal to make category that would only be sellable in black markets, and getting caught with them would land you a high bounty/jail time and said items would immediately be confiscated.

Enchanting
Once again, the same as the previous two, only with enchantments. Also, they should branch out the enchantments completely, ranking them from Minor all the way to Peerless. Minor up to Major type enchantments would be found throughout the game world, while items with the higher level enchantments (Extreme, Peerless) would fall under the artifact category. Learning and using one of those two should also lead to a choice: Do you disenchant/learn the enchantment and destroy the item itself, or do you keep the enchanted item (This one will make sense in a bit)? Again, stuff like Black Soul Gems would fall under the illegal category, and will land you in jail for possesion of those items if you're caught committing a crime.

Also, any crafting or upgrading (in the case of smithing) attempt should have a chance to fail completely. (see Enchanting thing I mentioned earlier) Why should the player character be able to perfectly craft items every single time? This always bothered me. I took this mainly from playing Ragnarok Online where alchemists and blacksmiths had to craft stuff, but had chances to fail while crafting or upgrading, and certain weapon/armor types were harder to craft and upgrade as well. Obviously the failure chance would decrease as your skill in that crafting tree went up, but you would still have that one chance to fail. This would also help alleviate the burden of grinding out gold necklaces of increase weight to level up smithing and enchanting, and then running out of places to sell them. It would also give players a choice when looting bodies: Do you loot their weapons and melt them down into scrap to help you get some crafting going, or do you leave them there? As mentioned earlier, the failure/success rate would also depend on the material being used. It'll be a lot easier to craft out Iron and Steel weapons, but they won't provide as much experience as, say, crafting Elven type stuff with Moonstone, which would also be harder to craft, but give out a lot more reward and exp.

Finally, for the love of god Bethesda, MAKE IT SO THAT SMITHING, ENCHANTING, AND ALCHEMY DON'T AFFECT YOUR OVERALL LEVEL. Make them work on a separate system

Economy
Looking at what Trade & Barter does, they seem to have an idea of how to make sure you don't end up ultra-rich in like 10 levels. It'd be cool if your skillset was taken into account when trading. For instance, the higher your crafting skills (alchemy, enchanting, smithing), the better prices you'll get from their respective markets (Alchemists, Enchanters/Magic Item Sellers, Blacksmiths). Relationships should probably be taken into account too. You do a favor for a local merchant, and now that merchant likes you enough so that whenever you purchase from them, you get better prices. The same thing should apply for factions. Joined the mages guild? Have a discount on scrolls, spell tomes, and enchanted items! Fighter's Guild/Companions/some warrior-type guild? Blacksmiths now sell you weapons and armor for less. Hell even joining the Imperial Legion should get you discounts across the board. Race should also factor in too. Like for instance, Khajits can sell to Khajit caravans no problem, but they'll get a lot less for their items in a major city given their reputation.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Paarthurnax pretty much explains it that the Elder Scrolls are basically a way to simulate what happens at any given time. So yeah, TES is beyond batshit insane and it's probably likely that Akavir is some future thing.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

If I had to guess, TESVI will take place with the Stormcloaks winning and the Empire in an even more precarious place with the very fabric of existence at stake. Daggerfall was the last game I can think of where everything turned up "okay" after the actions of the hero.

Alternatively, they pull another loving Dragon Break (via the convenient reading of the Elder Scroll at the Time Wound atop the Throat of the World) and do some weird poo poo where Skyrim is essentially independent but still a part of the Empire (a la 2nd Era Morrowind).

E:

Col. Roy Campbell posted:

Yeah, Skyrim really took the allure out of the Scrolls. By the end of Dawnguard you're lousy with them, you're just giving them away. At least you had to earn one in Oblivion instead of people just handing them to you.
gently caress that, you had to endure one of the most brutal parts of the game (Blackreach) to get the first one. The second one I'll give you because PLOT demanded it, and the third one, well no one likes to talk about the third one because gently caress the Soul Cairn :colbert:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Reason posted:

Why not just make spells that use physics? I really didn't like having a right click, left click and then another extra spell button in Skyrim. One thing I really, reaaaalllyy loving hope they focus on is UI and tightening up their control scheme. Installing mods like SkyUI helps, but it doesn't ever completely fix the jankiness that all Bethesda games seem to have in regards to their lovely UIs

Yeah that's not going to happen as long as they have to develop and dumb down the game for consoles.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Always roll Redguard with Long Blades :colbert:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Lore and gameplay aside, I really want Bethesda to get their heads out of the sand for the next TES/Fallout game and actually develop a 64-bit title. Not only would that solve the dumb 3.1 GB memory limit, it would allow users to go insane with textures and mods which is what we all want.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Man, the Bethesda news is everywhere now.

Hopefully they man up and decide to give us a 64-bit engine so we can go crazy with mods in the future and not have to worry about that 3.1 GB memory limit.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Sentinel is a Hammerfell city, fyi.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

LoonShia posted:

Thank you for that.

From what I've read in the linked pages, when Felldir read the Elder Scroll at Alduin (along with using the Dragonrend Shout), he created the Time-Wound where Alduin was thrown forward in time (destroying Helgen and making it possible for Ulfric Stormcloak to escape).

Felldir's actions created a timey-wimey vortex, so that the Summit of Snow-Throat didn't really exist in the same time-line as the rest of Mundus. This might have been what broke the Snow-Throat Tower to begin with.

Wow, this lore is simultaneously awesome and kind of stupid.

The Snow Tower was never a physical thing to begin with, but rather a metaphysical concept. That being the "unity of the Nordic people."

Which really makes sense in the context of the prophecy's terms. "When the Snow Tower lies sundered, kingless, and bleeding," practically refers to the ongoing Civil War in Skyrim before and during the events of the game.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

LoonShia posted:

Ah, yes, the Skyrim Thieves Guild questline, where the final act is returning something which was stolen.

Because it was causing bad luck to everyone in the guild.

God, gently caress that quest-line. Even more so because without mods, it's p much the one questline you have to actively avoid.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Honestly the concept of a thieves guild doesn't really work well outside of a Renaissance or Roman Empire setting, IMO.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Simsmagic posted:

is eso a good game yet

Come patch 1.7 it will be. They're getting rid of the stupid as gently caress Veteran Rank system in that patch.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Having mortal characters would solve so many drat things. Like the stupid Thieves Guild.

Wish I could gently caress off with the Key after murdering Brynjolf, Karliah, AND Mercer. Just tell the guild they died in battle and then secretly fund the guild coffer myself.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

You can actually corroborate the Alik'r story if you poke around some of the books. The Redguards didn't want anything to do with the Thalmor evidenced by kicking them out of Hammerfell during the Great War. Her selling the city out to the Thalmor is far more reasonable than speaking out against the Thalmor because she would have been protected.

Also what kind of loving moron draws a knife on you and then asks for help.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Man I will never not consider the Volenfell origin story to be hilarious. Literally throwing a loving warhammer (Malacath's eventual symboli warhammer specifically) into the air and following it and settling down there. That's something you'd expect from the loving Nords man.

Also, wasn't Dumac called Dumac Dwarf-King or something like that? Kinda odd considering that the Dwemer were not in fact short, and were about the same height as the Chimer/Dunmer.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

All signs seem to be pointing to either Hammerfell or Black Marsh.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I just use the Battlecat mod in Skyrim so I don't have to deal with a bitch horse all the time. Oh, you want to hold up the guy kitted out in Dwarven armor riding a giant battle cat? Go ahead, :unsmigghh:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, that stuff was pretty standard back then. I sort of wish they would bring back some of the good mechanics from Morrowind over to modern games though. It gets boring being a demi-god who happens ro be the leader of every drat faction after the second time.

You'd figure Bethesda would *want* people to replay their games by locking out factions based on choice (i.e. can't join the Companions if you're DB or Thieves guild) or by being able to progress through the stories via branching paths (i.e. Morrowind's Back Path). I imagine Skyrim would have been more fun if you could legitimately murder Delphine or Brynjolf and then have to find a way to finish those respective storylines through a different method (like having to figure out where Esbern is on your own, or deducing that Mercer was the one responsible for the TG's bad luck, and then deciding to either side with him, with Karliah, or stand on your own).

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

Is there an active Skyrim thread? I just started playing it for the first time and I can't find one here.

There is an active Skyrim modding thread, but good luck getting anything useful out of the thread beyond the OP, because right now the near-entirety of the Skyrim community is collectively losing their poo poo over Valve's latest move to introduce paid mods. We're keeping it out of this thread though, since this is an overall thread for the entire series, not just Skyrim.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Well you can't exactly say that they came back bigger and better after the Oblivion Crisis. Otherwise we would not have had this whole bullshit with the Thalmor and Skyrim's Civil War.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Return of the Cliffracers

This would really be the best thing. We need another cleansing of the casuals who have never experienced the terror of cliffracers.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

My first playthrough is always the appropriate race for the game. So Dunmer for Morrowind, Imperial for Oblivion, and Nord for Skyrim. After that it's all Dunmer/Argonian/Khajiit.

Though, if you don't play through at least once as a Nord who chugs down 6+ bottles of alcohol before each fight with a needs/alcoholic effects mod then you have failed TES gaming. My last roll in Skyrim was a Nord called Hafthor Ale-Fist :black101:

Though it makes me wish you could use broken bottles as weapons. :sigh:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Amazing :golfclap:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Holy poo poo I JUST noticed the earrings :lol:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

So I was browsing the ESO forums and came across this as someone's sig:

quote:

Why I think ESO occurs in a Dragon Break:

Exhibit A - I am the soul shriven who assisted in the formation of my alliance, and defeated Molag Bal. And so are you.

Exhibit B - the premise behind the Soulburst suggests a loss of control as it is a rather direct move against the God of Time.

Exhibit C - the entire premise of Cadwell's silver and gold suggests that time is not under control as you are able to travel around to the beginnings of each alliance, which occur at the same relative time.

Exhibit D - Despite having defeated Molag Bal, dark anchors still spawn, and there is still the massive anchor over the Imperial City.

Pretty solid evidence if Bethesda were to retcon ESO out of TES VI, imo.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

quote:

It's CHIM, ain't gotta explain poo poo.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

If they're going forward in time following Skyrim, there's no reason to not ignore it. Cities and landscapes can and will change in the span of >1000 years (which is how far apart ESO and Skyrim are set)

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Gyshall posted:

the CoC became an anime tittie princess bodypillow actually

This is the canonical ending to the CoC, I will hear no other argument :colbert:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Recently got a :siren:NEW LAPTOP:siren: and one of my first missions is to install Skyrim and all my mods again. It's... not going smoothly. I'm currently playing the "tinkering with mod load order" game, my favourite Skyrim minigame.

e: Also Nexus Mod Manager is bad and stupid and I hate it

Use Mod Organizer you dolt.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

That was a dumb read and I want my 5 minutes back :colbert:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Looking over the concepts of the Towers that hold Mundus together, I think it's safe to assume that any future TES game that is set in Summerset will revolve around finding the stone necessary to keep the tower safe. Except the "stone" is a living person.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

FutonForensic posted:

What tower, the Crystal Tower? That got knocked over in Oblivion:

There's arguments that the tower had already transcended its physical existence and that the tower itself was only there for appearances.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Tried explaining CHIM to my brother the other day. He's played through the main quests of Morrowind multiple times and has a couple hundred hours invested in Skyrim and has never heard of the concept of CHIM before. :psyduck:

Disown him.

Also break his copy of Morrowind.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

lol if you didn't shout them off the mountain when they walked off after the ceremony.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

CHIM is just using the console, plain and simple.

Also, it's the most popular way to explain poo poo that happens in TES games, the other being Dragon Breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Duodecimal posted:

The point of traps is to use them against your enemies. When there's a few grouped together it is hilarious. Watching that idiot get ragdolled across the room a couple times like a pinball.

This dude knows what's up.

First time I did Bleak Falls Barrow and led a Draugr into that spiked wall trap I did not stop laughing for a good five minutes at how stupid they were to walk straight into it.

Imagine :fuckoff: but with Draugrs and Spiked Walls.