Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

if oblivion had some more effort put into the landscape (maybe cut down on world size a bit because its mostly garbage empty space) and didn't have completely hosed level scaling, it would be looked upon as better than skyrim.

even with OOO or maskars oblivion still isn't good though so :shrug:

I played oblivion to ~100% last year, every faction, every dlc, everything except a handful of generic quests (I had a checklist) and while some quests were amazing, I can't say it was a good game. Skyrim despite all of its flaws just felt more fun.

just play morrowind every day of every year forever

So I have that rarest of things in this day and age, a (mostly) functional FCOM install. And y'know what? Oblivion's pretty good if you stuff it full of items and monsters with FCOM, get all the Unique Landscapes and Better Cities mods, and use a magicka mod like Supreme Magicka to make magic pretty deadly since the Francesco's components of FCOM makes weapons very lethal. Not at the level of Morrowind obviously, but it's better than Skyrim I think.

Without spending like 10 hours of your life wrangling the mods though I agree, it's not a very good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

I wasn't very bothered by the setting. The leveling combined with enemy scaling was v bad tho

Fortunately this has been trivial to fix with OOO for years. I do wish there was a little more variety in Cyrodiil - the Leyawiin and Bruma areas are neat because they're like pieces of Black Marsh and Skyrim, and it would have been cool to maybe see some ashlands northeast of Cheydinhal, desert near Anvil and Bravil, etc. It would have really driven home that Cyrodiil is the capital, central, Imperial province. Most of the mechanical concerns with Oblivion have solutions though - just getting rid of the scaling makes a huge difference in making the game feel more like an actual setting, like Morrowind, instead of a universe dependent entirely on the player.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Buschmaki posted:

When people think of worldbuilding they usually think about things like created history, philosophy, and politics, not the most banal poo poo imaginable. Bethesda games even fail on that level as food production location doesn't make sense or is too small to feed the people of their gamespaces. This doesn't even take into account the demographic problem of there being hundreds of monocultured raiders/bandits but like 20 farmers. And at the end of the day worldbuilding is still just the dressing for an interesting story to be told which bethesda also fails at.

Morrowind has 36 short stories in the style of ancient myth, but the ancient myth itself is entirely alien and divorced from the basic structures of myths on Earth, except where it is identical. These exist to build up many facets of the game world - the Tribunal itself, but also the Temple, the forms of Dunmer culture, the divisions in the society of Morrowind. They are simultaneously history, philosophy, politics, and religion. Taken together though they're still just one of many books which do the same for many more aspects of the world, until the context in which you're playing the game is substantially shifted from taking everything about the gameplay at face value. This is where Morrowind stands apart - more than any of the other Elder Scrolls games, there is an exceptional amount of writing and dialogue about how Vvardenfell works, and if you know things about how Vvardenfell works, it pays off during actual gameplay. A lot of fairly vague words like worldbuilding have been applied to describe this quality, but all of the Elder Scrolls games fall apart on some level in worldbuilding, and the newer games succeed in places where the older ones failed so it's not a clear descriptor of what makes Morrowind good.

Morrowind is good because people who really, really cared about creating an extremely alien context did so, and then explained it in exhaustive detail in a way that doesn't come off as your DM putting on an extremely elven voice and expositing for ten minutes. Then, they linked all of those details to actual gameplay events, visual design philosophy, and basically every other aspect of the game design such that a player who learns about Vvardenfell and the world around it has an advantage, just like a well-traveled and well-read adventurer has an advantage over their world due to their knowledge of it.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 1, 2016

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

I figured it'd be used during his boss fight, but alas. I probably would have drowned myself in excitement if it was, blending into "your" version of the theme tune as you started getting the upper hand. Ah, what could be...

On that subject, just how much effect can the Daedric Lords have on Tamriel? I'm getting weird mixed signals between this and Oblivion/TESO. In the latter two games Mehunes Dagon and Molag Bal can launch full scale invasions of their forces onto the planet (unless it's the Black Marsh in which case your devoted demon armies get drowned and counter-invaded :black101:), but Hermaeus Mora can't so much as steal the secrets of a single shaman tribe without them willingly giving up and submitting to his will. Is there a quick idiot's prima guide to how they interfere with us?

There is no Emperor in Oblivion and TESO. The Emperors maintain the dragonfires which hold the daedra to the rules, and I guess Martin eliminates the need for an actual living emperor by sacrificing himself.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Xinlum posted:

I'm playing morrowind for the first time since it came out. Which of these is the better potion? Restore fatigue 20 points over 5 seconds or restore fatigue 20 points over 50 seconds? Is long duration good or bad?

It's not "over", it's "for". You get 100 points of fatigue from the first potion and 1000 from the second.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

It's dumb for me to use the r-word here, but I don't think Vivec "really" did that, any more than he was "really" hatched from a cosmic egg by the netchiman's wife. The 36 sermons are him trying to invent a new origin for himself that fits with his stolen divinity, but he can't help but have some references and connections to the original "historical" reality (most obviously in the coded message).

My interpretation of that episode specifically is that it's a metaphor for his being a warrior and a general, having seen (and probably done) some bad things, and come out of it changed but not destroyed.

"So Vivec how can I learn about CHIM?"

"Well..."

":stonk:" *walks away*

"Phew, another idiot deterred! Good thing that poo poo never happened though, that would be the worst."

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

One weird trick DISCOVERED BY A CLAN MOTHER to create Nirn

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE - STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL.

I am Helseth Hlaalu, the son of a retired General in the Imperial Legions and a former King Consort of Morrowind. I came to know of you in my search for a reliable person to handle a very confidential transaction, which involves the carrying of a huge sum of money to a foreign account. There were series of contracts executed by East Empire Company for the city in which my father was King Consort in our province. The original values of these contracts were deliberately over-charged to the tune of forty-one Million Imperial Septims. The over-charged sum he purposed to acquire for himself after retirement. Unfortunately, things took another turn.I will explain more to you when you show your interest to assist me. Consequently, I am looking for someone who will help me to receive the money on my behalf. Needless to say, the trust reposed on you at this juncture is enormous. In return, I shall offer you 20% of the total sum you shall carry. While I shall take 75% and the balance 5% has been set aside to take care of any expenses you shall incure in the process of carrying this fund to Mournhold from the Imprial City.

Yours faithfully,

Prince Helseth Hlaalu ("H")

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 24, 2016

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

By seed and spleen I erect the spine of rage, what did you just say about me, you dry skin filth? Ill have you know Im a Saxhleel shadowscale, and Ive been involved in numerous secret raids on Morrowind, and I have over 300 confirmed dry skin kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top shadowscale in the entirety of the An-Xileel. You are nothing to me but just another dry skin. I will wipe you out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before in Tamriel, mark my words you dry skin trash. You think you can get away with saying that kaoc to me? Think again, dry skin. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of An-Xileel agents across Tamriel and your life force is being detected right at this moment, so you better prepare for the storm, you thin-scaled swine. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. Youre dead, dry skin. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and thats just with my bare claws. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the An-Xileel and I will use it to its full extent to send you down a dark fatal river off the face of every plane of existence, not even the void will accept your soul, you little kaoc. If only you could have known what ixtaxh retribution your little clever comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your tongue. But you couldnt, you didnt, and now youre paying the price, by the hist youre an egg-sac. I will kaoc fury all over you and you will drown in it while I swim around your petty corpse. Youre dead, you thin-scaled dry skin kaoc.

Friend,

Unfortunately, there have been complications in freeing up the funds within the bureacracy of the Imprerial City. To resolve these difficulties, please hurry to deposit 400 septims with my contact in Cyrodiil, Armand Christophe. I insure you that this expense shall be to be included in the 5 percent of funds already set aside for such struggles when it is released by the East Empire Compeny.

H

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Part of the charm of Morrowind is that you're going to bash your head off of the world for a while until you manage to get your feet underneath you.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

The Forsworn Conspiracy is seriously the dumbest quest. Skyrim is pretty bad at times in regards to pigeonholing the player into bone-headed, repugnant, or otherwise extreme choices, but I think it's the only quest where you're actually given a choice where one of the options is just completely invalid, but it's a) the completely sensible option for once, and b) you can actually choose it without the game forcing you back onto the 'correct' route.I've killed so many Markarth guards after resisting the false arrest; at first because I didn't understand what was going on (seriously, who would actually just give up and go to jail without a fight?), but since I've just refused to ever let myself get arrested and just fight my way through Markarth every single time I visit.

The stupidest part is that if you kill all the guards, life just continues on as normal. Nobody cares that you've slaughtered dozens of men right in front of them and have a bounty that could buy a small country. High-end Illusion magic is even funnier because you can just Calm the guards and ignore your bounty without getting your hands dirty.

I still have no idea if they actually intended for Madanach to be a sympathetic character or not. The only time I've ever let myself go to Cidhna Mine, I just made a beeline for him and nuked him with magic and left. Did none of the designers realize "oh yeah, it doesn't matter if you get your gear taken if you're a mage"?

yes madanach is supposed to be sympathetic

a better game (i.e. morrowind) would have let you join the forsworn after that quest

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ehhh maybe. I'd say more fallout new vegas tbh, that happens many many times

I'm a morrowind apologist but morrowind deliberately doesnt let you join the antagonist factions (sixth house / camonna tong). The first because that would be an insane amount of work (done by modders years later), and the second because the camonna tong are explicitly the "gently caress off outlander" faction.

that being said its a bit apples and oranges because morrowind was a shoestring budget to save a failing company and skyrim is a multi billion dollar franchise

e: skyrim feels like a tabletop game with a bad dm.
"I kill the guy"
"no you can't he comes back alive and you have a bounty. Please don't mess up my quests I spent a lot of time on them."

the forsworn are more like ashlanders, in terms of their relationship to the rest of the world/the feasibility of joining them. they're just, y'know, in skyrim, so they're an antagonist faction to give you stuff to kill

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rough Lobster posted:

Perhaps I'd be more sympathetic to the Forsworn if I'd never gone inside Forsworn dungeons. You know the ones with human spines and poo poo just laying around like leftovers everywhere? Bloody fuckin voodoo altars and poo poo, and freaky bird women who suck out people's eyeballs for snacktime and grant their best warriors an unholy artificial life by replacing their hearts with magic artichokes. Also maybe you guys missed this but their armor has literal human skulls festooned about.

I kill as many Stormcloaks as possible on most of my playthroughs but its clear the Reach is waaaay better off in Nord hands.

the bosmer are cannibals. the good bosmer, i mean; the bad ones transform into immortal beasts that hunger for the blood of all that lives. they also have a skull thing going on

traditionalist orcs live in polygamist compounds and have brutally raided high rock and hammerfell for centuries

dunmer raise giant hordes of undead to protect their tombs, practice slavery, and brutally suppress heresy

what i'm saying is that relative morality in tamriel is a bit bonkers and it generally works out better for everyone to deprive the nastier cultures of targets by giving them their own province in the empire

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Next game will be Elder Scrolls Skyfall where an oblivion gate freaks out and pours Fallout into Tamriel Todd Howard you baby you loving baby piece of poo poo pay me Todd Coward I am your father Todd I am your husband

this would actually be fun because unlike every other swords-against-guns story ever told, the people with guns could very well lose horribly to the people with swords

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Midig posted:

As a guy who has modded Oblivion and Skyrim quite extensively, I also want to do this for Morrowind to some extent. However, while MGSO is an easy to follow guide and download, it is prone to bad performance and crashing. Also, I think it goes quite beyond improving the game, adding some seriously dumb looking faces for example, and I am pretty sure one NPC had the face of Olivia Wilde and another Macgyver. What I want is:

-A solid mod manager for Morrowind with bashed patch and load order sorting
-Some lighting fixes (Either MGE XE or OpenMW)
-Watercolor v2. with some textures to overwrite it such as signposts, faces, fire, water etc.
-Any quality of life mods or ini changes provided by MGSO.
-Tamriel rebuilt
-Rebalance of end game bosses, cant find them now, but seems like someone made those mods for a good reason

This should make the game playable with good performance and none of the MGSO 3.0 sillyness.

Any help I can receive would be appreciated as I am in partly unknown territory here.

imagine modding oblivion except the engine doesn't fall apart under mild stress without 5 anti-crash script extender plugins and the game is already good so big overhauls are unnecessary, and that's what morrowind modding is like

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

"I have not played a lot of morrowind"

"I want overhauls that completely rework how attributes work"

Dude play the game lmao

Morrowind ain't hard, in a handful of hours you'll be melting gods with an iron hammer and that's why it's good

the +s system is awful. it has always been awful and will always be awful. the extremely simple fix that all of those mods make that just ties attributes to skills directly is how the game should have always worked.

Neurolimal posted:

Let's not go overboard here, the MW engine is still big B Bad. It lacks a lot of common sense solutions and implementations that were obvious even for its time.

Also the story and atmosphere is great but modding the combat isn't a bad idea at all.

it is bad but any attempt to make a modlist that makes oblivion actually good is an extremely long slog, because every single aspect of the game must be changed somehow. morrowind starts from a place where an "overhaul" is a mod for a single system, or a couple of systems. oblivion overhaul mods change everything, and must be layered over each other in very specific orders to get a game that is good at the end of the process

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

It's to represent the collision of the multiverse

Playing through Oblivion again, can anyone explain Falcar's (cheydinhal mage leader) diabolical plan? It seems like it's supposed to be some horrible revelation, but it goes like this:

- If you want my recommendation get my Ring Of Burden out of the well. It's heavy, dont say I didn't warn you!

Second in command warns you that the last person to look for the Ring of Burden in the Well...disappeared! Where could the associate looking for the Ring of Burden in the Well have gone??? Anyways here's a feather spell.

Falcar is then confronted by SiC, and is warned that she'll tell the academy that he....has a Ring of Burden that he wants out of a well, that he warns people about. This is a dire enough threat that he flees the guild.

Obviously I understand the intent (Falcar getting people killed to soul trap them), but I'm just not sure where in this plan he's supposed to have been compromised. Presume he stayed in the guild when you came back with the ring. SiC finds out the last guy searching for the Ring of Burden in the Well died, in the well, after being warned by Falcar (presumably he gives the same warning to all associates, and you're not the exception). She's mad but has nothing actually on Falcar, he writes your recommendation, you gently caress off out of Cheydinhal none the wiser.

Instead he unlocks his black gem room and runs away ranting, stupid elf.

it's just horribly written, and like an annoying number of oblivion and skyrim quests, it kind of implicitly assumes your character is a mostly incapable child who shouldn't be expected to face such, uh, danger. and the "mystery" of retrieving the ring of burden without dying is even mostly circumvented by the feather spell, because why assume the player will be competent enough to figure out how to carry out this dangerous task from a capricious wizard?

if it were even a dangerous task at all, that is. the ring isn't even very heavy, the dead associate must have had a strength of 20 or so to be drowned by it

maybe falcar just thought everyone involved knew more than they actually did about his motives. he probably would have been fine if he hadn't panicked - after all, retrieving a ring of burden from the bottom of a well actually shouldn't be outside the skillset of a mage. it was a perfectly reasonable task to evaluate for mild proficiency in alteration, and less dangerous than several of the other recommendation quests.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 10, 2018

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

I've actually been playing Oblivion too for the first time in many, many years (no idea why, must be some sort of inner masochistic urge) and what's really funny is that when you find the black soul gems the lizard girl goes "oh no black soul gems!" but then you later find out that the Mages Guild doesn't actually have a clue what they are.

oblivion can be pretty good but it takes a solid week of modding to get there

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Midig posted:

I wish there was a mod that added the blue scrolls from Diablo games.

i haven't modded skyrim very extensively but googling "skyrim mark and recall" indicates there are at least 5 mods that provide teleport functionality

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

Haha let's not say anything we can't take back. With enough modding Oblivion can potentially go from a diarrhea turd to a regular turd. It's an improvement but it's still poo poo.

it's not the same kind of experience as morrowind but i'd argue that in 2018 it's definitely possible to make it pretty good. until fairly recently what you said was correct, though. a lot of the improvement has to do with the increasing sophistication of maskar's oblivion overhaul

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

I've been watching DansGaming play through oblivion and he's using maskars.

It looked interesting enough until he ran into a situation where he legit could not damage vampire enemies fast enough to outrun their constant in-darkness health regen.

Then destroyed by nonstop Morag Tong attacks.

you can tweak their regen or turn it off entirely. same with the morag tong attacks

every feature is implemented separately

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mill Village posted:

Any reason why Maskar's overhaul messes up Oblivion XP? If I turn the mod off, Oblivion XP works again.

messes up how? maskar's does add its content into the oblivion xp framework - they interact much more than maskar's does with almost any other mod, from what i understand

maskar is extremely responsive though, if you post a detailed description of the issue on the MOO nexus page he will probably have it figured out pretty quickly

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mill Village posted:

It took me a minute to realize I somehow disabled both Oblivion XP and Maskar. Everything is working fine since I fixed that.

How bad is the level scaling in Maskar's overhaul? I looked through the ini files, but I'm not sure what I should change to disable it without blowing up the mod. I changed the bosses so they don't scale as high, but that's about it.

you want the bosses to scale very high imo, they don't spawn 50 levels above you or anything but when you're high level the max scaling on bosses needs to be high so that you still run into challenging enemies while sweeping grunts aside easily. which is basically the whole purpose of the level scaling; it's pretty good with the OOO-intended settings in my experience.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Grab OBSE, Oblivion Reloaded, and Oblivion Stutter Remover. Enable Heap Management in the OSR ini.

heap management is the One Weird Trick of oblivion modding, yeah

the game's not really all that unstable if the engine isn't pretending your GPU is from 2005

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

So if it's cool to just talk about lore: The Elder Scrolls seems a lot like the Forgotten Realms insofar as there's a bunch of gods, and they like to meddle in the affairs of mortals, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to how often they can interfere, or how much. Mostly they seem to act on the fringes, interacting with exceptional adventurer types like our PCs, but one whole game (that I haven't played) was based around a god trying to conquer the world, yes?

almost all of the "gods" are originally the same type of being, but events surrounding the creation of the world separated them into different categories:

the aedra are asleep because they gave their power to the mortal world. they can't do very much except, apparently, during prophesized key events, when they sort of can, especially talos as mentioned above, who is possibly in a weird asleep/awake state like vivec (which is a long story) since he was once three mortals.

some spirits are awake, but neither aedra nor daedra. this is because they got the hell out of dodge when they realized that creating the world was going to put them to sleep. the sun and stars are holes to aetherius created by fleeing spirits. they aren't usually relevant except for magnus, who created the sun in his flight and left part of himself behind, which is why mortals can use magic. meridia was one of these, too, but returned, making her a daedra.

the daedra are awake because they refused to participate in creation. they can interfere with the world as much as they can get away with. there is not really any kind of inherent limit on how much they can interact with mortals - they used to run around on nirn personally all the time - but the first empire made a pact with akatosh that made travel to and from nirn (or maybe just tamriel? it's not clear really) much less energy-efficient. so the daedric lords can't really pull themselves through anymore but can send servants, artifacts with pieces of themselves in them, their voices, etc. though it helps a lot if a mortal is summoning or doing a ritual or whatever to provide magical energy from the other side too.

oblivion is about one of the daedric lords bringing the barrier down so he can do whatever the hell he wants again

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 20, 2018

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Simsmagic posted:

Something I'm curious about : have any of the Aedra been witnessed actually having an impact on the world as it is today? Akatosh seems to have some sort of impact between his various avatars and reincarnations, but we don't see Mara or Kynareth or even Talos doing much in the world. How limited are their powers? Are they all capable of manifestations or is it something that's limited to Akatosh?

talos manifests to give you a pep talk before you go into red mountain to fight dagoth ur in morrowind. aside from akatosh and talos, the others aren't active in visible ways as far as we can tell.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I assumed the Aedra/Daedra dichotomy has its roots in the Aesir and Vanir, but it's a very superficial connection. The Vanir aren't exactly the especially-active-lords-of-edginess in Norse myth.

it is, sort of. the aesir and vanir dichotomy in norse religion is very possibly rooted, ultimately, in the asuras and devas of ancient indian mythology. these are spirits present today in hinduism, buddhism, and probably other east asian religions i am forgetting, as well as a bunch of dead central asian religions including zoroastrianism.

much like the aedra and daedra, asuras and devas are of the same metaphysical type of being, with the category one falls into depending on its actions and disposition toward the world. asura are ruled by base desire and hunger for power, while deva are enlightened and do not act without sufficient cause. i'm definitely no vedic scholar so i can't say all that much more on the subject but kirkbride went on a deep dive into buddhism to write the 36 sermons of vivec so i'd be surprised if he didn't bring some of it into the broader lore too

a lot of the more esoteric details of the cosmology originated in morrowind and were built around the structure that daggerfall had already created

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 20, 2018

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Randaconda posted:

Wouldn't it be much more likely they just had the same starting point, the standard Proto Indo-European pantheon?

yes, of course. the ancient indian stuff is just the oldest extant written material describing concepts traceable back to the PIE pantheon in detail and people are more familiar with it as a comparison point :shrug:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

frajaq posted:

Doesn't one of the factions have a base/colony on the moon or something

Or some spaceship

Maybe I'm getting my lore seriously hosed up here

the imperial battlemages maintained the battlespire, a space station where massive destruction spells could be used safely, until mehrunes dagon blew it up

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

That's Nerevar's face.

Symbolically, they cut off his face so that he can return wearing any face.

They cut off his feet so when he returns, he can walk any path.

Allegedly Vivec stabs him with Muatra so when he returns he can be either man or woman, but I'm not really sure how that winds up.

anything vivec touches becomes gender-ambiguous, i guess

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Randaconda posted:

I'm getting less FPS on Oblivion than I do on Skyrim or FO4, wtf.

get oblivion stutter remover, turn on its heap management feature using either algorithm 6 or algorithm 9 (this will make sense when you are looking at the settings file for oblivion stutter remover)

oblivion's engine is permanently stuck in 2005 as far as its ability to utilize VRAM, without a mod such as this to take over that function for it. there are a wide variety of engine fix mods that are basically required to enjoy oblivion on a modern PC, but OSR is the most important one. this is, as far as i can tell, the main reason oblivion has always had a reputation as a terror to assemble a stable modlist for; PCs were not able to handle its full potential at launch, but the engine also has no built-in provisions for utilizing a PC that is strong enough now that they exist.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 28, 2018

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Randaconda posted:

I don't know what voodoo that does, but it went from 10 fps to 30-35. :randstare:

it convinces oblivion that it's okay to dump more memory onto your video card than it believes video cards can handle, because by default it believes that a geforce 6 is the most powerful video card that can possibly exist and refuses to listen when you inform it that that hasn't been the case for 13 years

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

prometheusbound2 posted:

What's the relationship between Oscuro's and Maskar's? Does Maskar's supersede Oscuro's, or supplement Oscuro's?

maskar's supplements everything, by design. it works really well with OOO or even the full FCOM.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Eh, I don't take anything that happened in Shivering Isles seriously. It's a play put on by Sheogorath, it's happened before (Arden Sul) and will happen again.

and there can't be seventeen daedra lords, spokes on the wheel, jyggalag is dumb

sheogorath is somewhere far away cackling madly about how he's managed to convince some dope that they are him by giving them a dinky little island and pieces of his power

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Meridian posted:

I'm doing a fresh install because some mods suggested manual installation, like Blockhead for Character Overhaul 2.0 dependency. I clearly hosed something up somewhere, going to start from the beginning, use Oblivion Mod Manager to create OMODs for everything and run boss with every new activation. Should only take another 12 hours.

oblivion is extremely temperamental, but unlike ten years ago it's entirely possible to assemble a perfectly smoothly running, extremely heavily modded setup with enough pounding away at it. there are serious engine bugs in oblivion that weren't even detected until someone ran the new vegas anti-crash mod on a whim and found that it, seriously, made oblivion more stable because the same crash bugs had been present in bethesda's engine since oblivion

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Meridian posted:

For anyone else who has some stupid rear end crash because of Blockhead and Oblivion Reloaded, you need to go into Oblivion Reloaded's ini and turn search for "equipment" and set that to 0.

edit: oh poo poo, that's funny. You're right!

oblivion: if it crashes, you need to go into the ini

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Bholder posted:

Most you'll get is M'aiq making fun of it.

Which is good because chim is a stupid joke people take way too seriously.

it's, uh, it's not a joke

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

I wonder what the ability to trap Vivec's soul in a gem means in terms of Dragon Breaks, etc. Is Vivec both trapped in a soul gem and not trapped in one?

since he is both in time and outside of time, i think you are correct

mortal vivec would be trapped/annihilated/whatever while immortal vivec, who is both momentary and eternal, remains

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

When I get my shiny new gaming PC I was thinking of giving Oblivion another try. I played it on console but was put off by the potato people and the Speechcraft system, both of which can be fixed on PC!

It's pretty far down on my list of PC Games I Can't Wait to Play but some people really stick up for Oblivion. Anti-Skyrim contrarians maybe or maybe the game isn't as bad as everyone said and I'd find more to like about it if I played more than five hours.

there's a lot to like about (extremely heavily modded) oblivion. without mods it's a poorly optimized, poorly designed mess, but there's a framework of a good dungeon crawler hidden inside the mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the imperials and stormcloaks are both pretty dumb. both have largely forgotten that the empire is as much nordic as it is cyrodiilic and are at each other's throats when the prudent thing would be for ulfric to target the thalmor and the imperials to drag their feet on everything and never bring the stormcloaks to a decisive battle.