Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Evil Canadian posted:

Konquest was great and fun
Deception's Konquest mode was so awful it was good. That voice acting :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjRMhFfuBao

The harder combo tutorials can go gently caress themselves, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Solomonic posted:

Friendship!
Friendship? Again?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Gavok posted:

Jarek: Shows up at the fight club to capture Cassie and Jacqui for the Black Dragon. Hasn't been mentioned since.
Obviously, Jax hunted him down and re-enacted that ending from MK4. :getin:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

YODOGAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

gently caress it, here it is again. I'm sure there's still someone somewhere who hasn't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW765DsN6Z0

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Is there a good video retrospective of the MK series anywhere? The one by Gametrailers was decent but it's a few years old now, and the MKSecrets one on youtube would be good if it wasn't literally narrated by Microsoft Sam. (seriously, they made this really extensive video series of the history of MK and decided that they didn't need a human being to narrate the drat thing :wtc:)

Youtube isn't giving me anything decent (aside from the 20th anniversary special by Gamespot, that was really cool and I wish they had more videos with Boon, Tobias and co. talking about the other games), so I guess I'll watch the Gametrailers series again for my "listen to some guy talk about all the old Mortal Kombat games" fix.

edit: here's the Gamespot vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32szzRbFYKE

Ho-Sung Pak apparently didn't age a day between 1992 and 2012, and John Tobias' mustache is still the most disturbing thing about this series.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Davincie posted:

man fatalities are just getting way too gross with these graphics
They should put in a mode that changes all the gore and fatalities to the MK3 style, with the old bright red blood sprites and the eight ribcages and five skulls flying out of people.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Oh god that Mileena fatality :gonk:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Gavok posted:

He and Liu then go to visit the Elder Gods for assistance, but they don't seem to be of much help.
mk-eldergods.txt

I wasn't planning on getting this yet, but I guess the hype was too much and I ended up buying the premium edition for xbone. Looking forward to getting punched a lot.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Lin Kuei aren't ninjas, just ask the original Sub-Zero. :colbert:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, aren't the Lin Kuei supposed to be Chinese rather than Japanese?
They are. Of course, The Immortals confused things a bit with their classic song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVIpnoptwSQ

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

XBL: Doc Morbid

I am bad at punchmans. :saddowns:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Uh didn't Killer Instinct switch to AI when opponents lagged? I remember seeing videos of the same match from both sides and them being way different
Killer Instinct occasionally has some sync issues caused by rollback weirdness, but I'm pretty sure the "switches to AI" thing was bullshit.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Agoat posted:

What faction did we decide on? Lin Kuei? (On Xbone)
Of course. We're Chinese ninja warriors!

Trip report: Xbone version looks and plays fantastic. Didn't try online yet, though, just messed around in practice and played through the ladder a couple of times. (on easy because I suck :eng99:)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 14, 2015

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Jesus christ these fatalities and xrays are gnarly :gonk:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

JetsGuy posted:

SO yeah, Corrupted Shinnok's fatality....

:stare:
My reactions when I saw that:

"Goddammit you fucker I had that poo poo won :argh:"

"Oh hey he has a fatality"

"Oh god :gonk:"

"OH GOD :gonk:"

":stonklol:"

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I got that too, but I'm using the MK3 toasty icon because come on

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

OK cheers, did it so fast the controller end up slipping out of my hand. Goddammit.
I was also cursing that part of the tutorial earlier. Eventually managed it by using my index and middle finger to hit the buttons.

I also found out that Corrupted Shinnok can spam his hype beam over and over again and basically stunlock you until you're dead, and as far as I can tell there's nothing you can do about it. :argh: At least this game is keeping up the grand tradition of MK bosses that can be huge dicks if they feel like it, even if he's not nearly as bad as Shao Kahn.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Billy Gnosis posted:

I know this is old news, but the voice actor for Johnny Cage is not an actor as much as the bassist for Dokken? How / why did that happen (not that he isn't good in that role).
He's what now :stare:

Oh poo poo, you're right. Aside from Dokken, this guy's also played bass for Dio and Foreigner (I think Johnny Cage would be a fan of all of these bands) and done a bit of acting on the side.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I tried out Kitana but couldn't get to grips with her, so I went back to Mileena. 28% meterless combos are pretty good by my standards, although it remains to be seen if I'll be able to do those on an opponent that fights back. :v:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

I for one am simply shocked that Lin Kuei are winning on PC by a landslide
Who doesn't want to be a Chinese ninja warrior

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Here's how you do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IaOaPJV1kk

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Holy loving poo poo level 9 of Test Your Might :gonk:

I will not be completing the Test Your Might tower.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Neo Helbeast posted:

It's not you it's them, their servers are barely working on the XB1 version and just about every time I go back to the main menu it tells me that it's unable to connect to faction server or unable to connect to the living towers.
Oh good, it's not just me having that problem.

I also can't finish the klassic tower anymore, the game just freezes before the Shinnok fight. This has now happened to me twice in a row, and after the second time I seem to have lost Kitana's samurai outfit (which she was wearing when the game crashed). Outstanding. :thumbsup:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I don't even care how she is as a character, I hate Jade because she was a horrible rear end in a top hat to fight against in the SNES version of UMK3.

Early Mortal Kombat AI :argh:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Liu Kang is also kind of a dick at the start of the film, especially in his scenes with Cage, and it's great. Unfortunately, he gets over that and becomes his usual boring ~Chosen One~ self pretty quickly.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Mr. Neutron posted:

I'd kind of want to know as well since I plan to buy the game on my Xbone too. According to Eurogamer's analysis it is slightly inferior to the PS4 version, not running in 1080p and dropping a frame here and there. But MK9 on X360 online was a superior experience to PC thanks to Xbox Live I guess so I am hoping for MKX to be great as well.
Xbone version has no region lock in online, so you can play with overseas dudes if you want. Of course, the netcode being what it is, this might not always be a good thing. :v: Still, that was what made me choose Xbone this time.

I've had a couple of freezes during Shinnok's intro in Klassic Tower and some of the samurai outfits briefly disappeared at one point, but other than that the Xbone version is fine. The lower resolution kinda sucks, I guess, but the game still looks great and I haven't noticed any major frame drops that would affect gameplay.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

Mortal Kombat needs to steal the Tekken-style "put a dumb hat and some accessories on an existing fighter" system
Pretty princess dressup is almost always the best feature of any game it shows up in, so I approve of this. Especially if we can have some really dumb clothes and accessories.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

kreate-a-weak-rear end-fatality Ala Armageddon.
But... but... you can rip out a dude's arms and heart and brain and then smash their head! (seriously, kreate-a-fatality was a cool idea that was executed really badly and was in a really bad game)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 23, 2015

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

Wasn't MKX supposed to be region locked?
Only the PS4 version.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

gently caress, now that I've clicked this YouTube is going to suggest a million maximilian dood videos to me for months.
I see no problem with this as long as they're Benny videos

(I actually like Max because I'm a worthless babby scrublord and therefore his target audience, but even I don't bother with most of his videos on youtube these days)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Ahnold as Mr. Freeze alt for Sub-Zero.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

ABACABB was the blood code in the Genesis version of MK1.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Eh, Tremor is no match for Jax.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Baraka was cool when he was literally a guy wearing a Nosferatu mask and had the bloodiest special moves in MKII. He's never been the same since the games went 3D.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Since we have Tremor already, the logical next batch of DLC characters is of course the Special Forces Pack: No-Face, Tasia, and Jarek!

:getin:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't know any of these names at all :confused:
:thejoke:

Belokk was planned for Mortal Kombat Gold (the "enhanced" port of MK4 for Dreamcast) but didn't make it in. Zebron is the fine zebra man you see in that picture, designed as a joke to troll MK fans who wanted to see new material of Deadly Alliance. Nimbus Terrafaux was an April Fool's joke in EGM back in 1994, and Kidd Thunder is a kid version of Raiden that shows up during Raiden's friendship in MKII.

why do i know this

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The turkey has a far better chance to be included in the game than Hsu Hao and Mavado.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

At least Jarek was in the best video game ending of all time. Hsu Hao doesn't even have that going for him.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

360/PS3 version of MKX officially cancelled: http://testyourmight.com/threads/nrs-officially-cancels-mkx-for-360-ps3.55588/

And no one on earth was surprised.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Because I'm a sad fun-hating individual, I'm really not too excited about all these guest characters in MK and would much rather see more old MK characters as DLC instead of the likes of Leatherface and Jason. Nothing against these guys, I just wish WB/NRS would put them in their own horror movie fighting game or something.

Well, at least we're getting the robots in some form so that's pretty cool. And Bo' Rai C--:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

Mention of Tremor makes me wish they'd included Graboids as one of the guest dlc characters.
Nah, what we really need is a pack with No Face, Tasia, Jarek and Black Dragon Thug #57.

• Locked thread