Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Right now I'm having to use an FTP to share files with clients, which isn't all that great.

I'm really looking for a good way to share folders/files with clients that will allow them to download everything and preserve the folder structure as well. Oh and I need to be able to make the links public, so I don't have to manage each clients login details.

Each project has about 50-150 files within a bunch of subfolders, that the client will have to download. I've looked at Box, but I'm not sure if it's a good fit. I don't really know what options are available.

Edit: The files are all typically JPEGs and PDFs. Although, some projects will mostly be video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

We are doing a bunch of that successfully with Box at my office but I can appreciate why it would be intimidating. The platform is pretty sweet overall from experience and it checks all of those boxes easily.

Beyond that the first question I would ask is "are my clients already on a given platform?" Ultimately ease of use will win this one, the less clients need to go through the better.

The second question I would ask is "what features do we need beyond basic file sharing?" This can help you pick between the litany of cloud file sharing options. I've used box successfully, I've also seen everything from dropbox to hightail to google drive to skydrive to github work out for various projects if they could check the right boxes and it was what people were used to.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Wouldn't WebDAV solve this?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

wwb posted:

We are doing a bunch of that successfully with Box at my office but I can appreciate why it would be intimidating. The platform is pretty sweet overall from experience and it checks all of those boxes easily.

I'll give the free trial a shot and see how it works out.

quote:

Beyond that the first question I would ask is "are my clients already on a given platform?" Ultimately ease of use will win this one, the less clients need to go through the better.

The second question I would ask is "what features do we need beyond basic file sharing?" This can help you pick between the litany of cloud file sharing options. I've used box successfully, I've also seen everything from dropbox to hightail to google drive to skydrive to github work out for various projects if they could check the right boxes and it was what people were used to.

None of my clients are using anything already. A lot of them are technically proficient, but others can have a pretty hard time. I guess whatever has the easiest interface for my clients.

incoherent posted:

Wouldn't WebDAV solve this?

A lot of my clients wouldn't even be able to do this. A lot of them are not able to make any changes to their computer, and there are a fair amount that wouldn't be technically proficent enough to do that. Simple web links work best.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Another vote for Box.com. We use it, it's great. It's basically designed to do exactly what you're asking.

• Locked thread