Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/11/survivor-host-jeff-probst-has-fascinating-theory-huge-no-collar-challenge-fail

quote:

"I don’t think you have ever had a season where varying definitions of work ethic have not created some major strife between contestants, and we saw some blow-ups on the Blue Collar tribe this week between Mike and Rodney and Mike and Lindsey. Did it surprise you to see this happen on the tribe defined by their physical hard-working life-style, or is that exactly what you expected to happen here? Plus, who really is to blame for those fights?

My initial reaction was surprise—I didn’t expect to see such emotion in every aspect of their game. But then I started thinking of our reality crews that shoot the tribes on their beaches [...] In other words, they do everything they do with total investment. That was really enlightening for me to make that connection. Blue Collars don’t just work hard, they do everything with intensity. I’m not the first to say it, but without blue collars, ‘merica doesn’t exist. They are the back bone of everything."

Jesus Christ, does Jeff's mind really only work in cliches? Maybe he's planning to run for office soon.

Also we should get a poll going: whose tattoo is worse - Mike or Lindsey's? As difficult as it is to figure out why someone who didn't get punched in the head for a living would tattoo their face, the decision-making that led to Mike's tattoo seems even more unfathomable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Unmerciful posted:

Also we should get a poll going: whose tattoo is worse - Mike or Lindsey's? As difficult as it is to figure out why someone who didn't get punched in the head for a living would tattoo their face, the decision-making that led to Mike's tattoo seems even more unfathomable.

I legitimately think that Mike told his artist to tattoo "Psalm 121" on his back, expecting to get the entire verse written out, and instead, the artist just literally wrote "Psalm 121."

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Poque posted:

I legitimately think that Mike told his artist to tattoo "Psalm 121" on his back, expecting to get the entire verse written out

I want to believe that he still thinks that's what he got

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Kind of a nothing episode but it was ok I guess. Lindsay is awesome and won me over a bit despite the terrible tattoos. Jenn is incredibly annoying and smug, I hope she goes early so I don't have to watch her confessionals all season.

Aside from that, it was an episode. Nothing damning the future of the season but nothing particularly enjoyable either.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Lindsey comes off worse every episode that goes by. Very unlikable.

Literally everything we've seen out of her is her whining, complaining, and insulting people.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The line about "Did your God come down and make this fire with his beard?" is the single most entertaining moment of the whole season so far. :colbert:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

BGrifter posted:

The line about "Did your God come down and make this fire with his beard?" is the single most entertaining moment of the whole season so far. :colbert:

That instantly made me a Lindsey fan.

Unrelated: Survivor Know it Alls was terrible this week. I'm sure it was a blast in person, but that live format with a bunch of geeks coming on stage and having nothing to say and trying to sing happy birthday was completely miserable.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

I kinda enjoyed how, in an episode where the boot was never really in doubt, we just spent a lot more time hanging out watching the dynamics of the tribes. Not a lot of focus on strategy just for the sake of misdirecting the audience.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

mancalamania posted:

Hindsight is 20/20. In a three tribe season, there is typically a big swap into 2 tribes around Episode 5. From Will's perspective, Vince was unreliable enough that his position as top 2 in an alliance of 3 was questionable. Being a secure 4th in an alliance of 4 can be better than a loose 2nd in an alliance of 3 if the alliances are essentially dissolved by Episode 5 anyway.

Of course, given that we now know that Vince probably wasn't going to backstab him, and that his position as 4th in this alliance wasn't even that secure, and that the No Collars lost Immunity in Ep 3 and are now one challenge loss away from booting Will before the swap, Will's move is looking pretty silly. But in the alternate universe where the No Collars win immunity and Will can safely enter the swap without the baggage or worry of Vince's insanity, the move would look a lot better.

You're forgetting that Will didn't vote how he had agreed to with Joe/Jenn/Hali, so there is no way Will was thinking about anything besides "gently caress Vince" with that terrible decision for tribal. If strategy had played into it, he would've been so much better off just sticking with voting out Jenn even if Vince truly was as shaky as he thought. Everybody already hated Vince, so it would be easy to get one of the minorities to work with him if he had to boot him in the future, and when you're so clearly the weakest person on a tribe like Will is, it's insane to throw away being top 2 in a majority alliance. The only reason he wasn't voted off last night was because Nina talked everybody into voting for her instead.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

SalTheBard posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2475395&perpage=40&pagenumber=20#post327803323

Don't take this as bragging, but I was the one who got him his account. I think I found his work email address and sent him an email not thinking he would ever respond. Not only did he respond but we struck up a semi regular correspondence with each other. He actually sent me an autographed picture via mail which I thought was really cool. Unfortunately over time I lost it :( He is a really cool person and I'm glad he took a few minutes every Friday to email me back.

Fantastic, thanks! That was really cool. Brag away I say.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

elgarbo posted:

I kinda enjoyed how, in an episode where the boot was never really in doubt, we just spent a lot more time hanging out watching the dynamics of the tribes. Not a lot of focus on strategy just for the sake of misdirecting the audience.

Welp, I totally misread your comment the first time :(

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Lone Goat posted:

That instantly made me a Lindsey fan.

Unrelated: Survivor Know it Alls was terrible this week. I'm sure it was a blast in person, but that live format with a bunch of geeks coming on stage and having nothing to say and trying to sing happy birthday was completely miserable.
Didn't help that after 2 blindsides, this week's vote was obvious and telegraphed.

KIA started off okay, but the time-crunch ending with Cesternino losing control of the stage was rough; he should only have called up all the former Survivors at once for a photo op. It's really hard to be insightful or amusing when someone asks a quick question and shoves a mic in your face.

Next week we get 2 hours; gotta be Will getting booted off then a swap or reshuffle.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Binary Logic posted:

Didn't help that after 2 blindsides, this week's vote was obvious and telegraphed.

KIA started off okay, but the time-crunch ending with Cesternino losing control of the stage was rough; he should only have called up all the former Survivors at once for a photo op. It's really hard to be insightful or amusing when someone asks a quick question and shoves a mic in your face.

Next week we get 2 hours; gotta be Will getting booted off then a swap or reshuffle.

Apparently a lot of this was because Rob told his viewing audience beforehand to limit the questions to less than 30 seconds but a bunch of them were drunk and ignored that rule and didn't get the hint when he was trying to tell them "OK, OK, thank you, now..." or "Let's save that for later"

Rob was trying to move them along but they weren't getting the hint and since most of them are Patrons who provide his wages and spent money to travel there and buy the tickets and whatnot he didn't have the heart to straight up tell them "Please sit down, that's enough"

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
With a little luck it'll be the last live Know-It-Alls they ever do. If they want to have a RHAP party for all that circle jerky bullshit it's fine, but ruining the show so drunken idiots can get their moment in sucked.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It wasn't a great Know-it-alls to listen to. Shirin, Parvati, and Spencer were amusing but quite a few of those random fans were obnoxious.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

BGrifter posted:

With a little luck it'll be the last live Know-It-Alls they ever do. If they want to have a RHAP party for all that circle jerky bullshit it's fine, but ruining the show so drunken idiots can get their moment in sucked.

Yeah I wish I was there too.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Unmerciful posted:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/11/survivor-host-jeff-probst-has-fascinating-theory-huge-no-collar-challenge-fail

Jesus Christ, does Jeff's mind really only work in cliches? Maybe he's planning to run for office soon.

If you read Mike's bio you'll see that he was molested as a kid, and essentially turned to religion - he calls his pastor dad and credits him with 'teaching him to be a man'

In light of that the crazy back tattoo makes more sense.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

People who respond to Mom Insults with DONTCHU SAY poo poo ABOWMY MOTHA!, especially in a game where the winner gets to be a millionaire, are idiots.

Not Rob isn't going to win.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Anyone else doing a rewatch along with the RHAP audiobook? I don't know whether I will be able to keep it up with every season, but just about finished watching Australia and loving it so far.

When do Jeff challenge commentaries start? These early season challenges are painful in that regard.

People poo poo talking recent season challenges with "lol budget cuts" are looking at it through rose colored glasses. Whilst there is some cool epic challenges (there still is these days), there is some goddamned stinkers when it comes to production value in the early seasons too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Finally was able to watch this episode. Nina's problems were like 80% in her head and about her own preconceptions about being an outsider but I still feel like Jenn and Hali were asses about it who weren't helping. Last week I said how I feel about Jenn will probably be partly shaped by how she treats Nina post Tribal and she basically went "we get it, you're deaf, get over it" while Joe actually seemed to genuinely try. Of course then he decide that being deaf means she couldn't carry stuff or walk so there you go.

Nina handled poo poo terribly and couldn't get past her own issues but her tribe sucked too.

And boy, Blue Collar seemed to be in a race to see who could bury themselves fastest. This cast has to be competing for most crazy people. Too bad White Collar is being massively boring and dragging down the number.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

xcore posted:

People poo poo talking recent season challenges with "lol budget cuts" are looking at it through rose colored glasses. Whilst there is some cool epic challenges (there still is these days), there is some goddamned stinkers when it comes to production value in the early seasons too.

To be honest some of those early low production challenges were pretty bad rear end though. Like why can't we have a push the boulder challenge like they had at the first challenge in Africa, was fun times.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

xcore posted:

Anyone else doing a rewatch along with the RHAP audiobook? I don't know whether I will be able to keep it up with every season, but just about finished watching Australia and loving it so far.

When do Jeff challenge commentaries start? These early season challenges are painful in that regard.

While I do miss the epic challenges of the early years (jumping off a cliff into the water will always be a favourite), my main gripe is the great equaliser: puzzle pieces. Must EVERY SINGLE challenge finish with a puzzle? I know they help encourage comebacks, but it'd be nice to see some strictly physical or strictly mental challenges.

And bring back the old 'build an SOS visible from the air' challenges too.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I don't mind the frequency of race + puzzle challenges, but they have to start using privacy walls or mirrored puzzles. It's tiresome to see comebacks based on copying the other tribe's half completed puzzle.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The weird thing about the pattern of obstacle/retrieve/untie/throw things/solve a puzzle challenges is that it doesn't seem like it should be any lighter on the budget than a lot of "iconic" challenges that they've abandoned. Stuff like gross food, memory quizzes, even fallen comrades (although I know that got them in some legal trouble in Africa) seem like they should be in the regular rotation to a greater degree than they are right now if they're into saving money and want to avoid monotony.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
In theory, I think the obstacle course followed by puzzle format should get monotonous, but in practice this is most likely to lead to an exciting finish. The last two episodes have had purely physical challenge, and quickly the No Collars fell behind quickly and never had a chance to recover. Whereas the first episode's challenge had a much more exciting finish.

In fact, all of the exciting challenges of the past few seasons that I can think of have stuck very closely to this format. Like at the Cagayan Final 4 when Chaos Kass casually strolled onto the beach 20 minutes behind everyone else and smugly put together the puzzle the other three were struggling with that whole time.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

xbilkis posted:

even fallen comrades

This should never come back

Show needs more Survivor Auction and Gross Food Challenge though.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

mancalamania posted:

In theory, I think the obstacle course followed by puzzle format should get monotonous, but in practice this is most likely to lead to an exciting finish. The last two episodes have had purely physical challenge, and quickly the No Collars fell behind quickly and never had a chance to recover. Whereas the first episode's challenge had a much more exciting finish.

In fact, all of the exciting challenges of the past few seasons that I can think of have stuck very closely to this format. Like at the Cagayan Final 4 when Chaos Kass casually strolled onto the beach 20 minutes behind everyone else and smugly put together the puzzle the other three were struggling with that whole time.

I get that physical+puzzle is a recipe for comebacks. However, it just seems so forced, particularly in the tribal challenges when you have one or two individuals in charge of the puzzle anyway. I'd much rather see challenges that require teamwork - that enormous building block stair challenge is a good example. Requires strength, teamwork and puzzle skills and doesn't seem like a collection of challenges arbitrarily tacked onto each other.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

xcore posted:

For the record, I meant the trivia challenge about booted contestants at the final 5/4 as opposed to the obligatory acknowledgement of all the booted contestants at the final 4/3

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

e:^^The trivia game is so much better to watch than the symbol memorization game.

I expect a series of knots made with giant ropes that can't be moved by only one person.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

xcore posted:

Show needs more Survivor Auction and Gross Food Challenge though.

The survivor auction is actually really boring since they just sit on their cash until Jeff says there's AN ADVANTAGE THAT WILL HELP YOU IN THE GAME and then it's a race to see who can say "$500" fastest.

If they were smart, they'd hide the immunity clue/whatever under one of the mystery meals.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

e:^^The trivia game is so much better to watch than the symbol memorization game.

Are we talking about a straight trivia game or that awesome one that has all the questions like "who is the most annoying person on the tribe" and "who is the most likely person to be voted out" type questions?

That is bloody brilliant and always leads to hilarious fallout. Survivor sheep game needs to happen to more often!

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 16, 2015

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

xcore posted:

Are we talking about a straight trivia game or that awesome one that has all the questions like "who is the most annoying person on the tribe" and "who is the most likely person to be voted out" type questions?

That is bloody brilliant and always leads to hilarious fallout. Survivor sheep game needs to happen to more often!
I meant the biographical trivia game but the poo poo stirring version is fantastic and doesn't allow for collusion like last season's abandoned rope chopping.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

elgarbo posted:

While I do miss the epic challenges of the early years (jumping off a cliff into the water will always be a favourite), my main gripe is the great equaliser: puzzle pieces. Must EVERY SINGLE challenge finish with a puzzle? I know they help encourage comebacks, but it'd be nice to see some strictly physical or strictly mental challenges.

We still get those every once in a while. Was it Fans vs favorites 2 where the challenge was "stay here while the tide comes in, try not to drown, good luck!"

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That was an awesome challenge, but hard to watch.

I think in the thread that season someone mentioned that some of the International Survivors had really great challenges that were similar, like "stand outside a circle in the hot sun, step into the circle after 4 hours. The person with the closest time wins!"

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

That was an awesome challenge, but hard to watch.

I think in the thread that season someone mentioned that some of the International Survivors had really great challenges that were similar, like "stand outside a circle in the hot sun, step into the circle after 4 hours. The person with the closest time wins!"

Solitary had something like this, it was "stay in this cramped box that you can barely sit comfortably in, step outside after precisely 3 hours". One guy said that he just recited the entire movie Titanic but ended up leaving a few minutes early because he forgot to count the credits.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Boxman posted:

We still get those every once in a while. Was it Fans vs favorites 2 where the challenge was "stay here while the tide comes in, try not to drown, good luck!"

Yeah, and it was a reprise from the first Fans vs Favorites. Jason Siska won that one and gave us the perfect quote~

"And, uh, to go up against Ozzy in the first individual immunity challenge and win let me know that, you know... Ozzy's not the only godlike competitor who can play this game."

:allears:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yeah, and it was a reprise from the first Fans vs Favorites. Jason Siska won that one and gave us the perfect quote~

"And, uh, to go up against Ozzy in the first individual immunity challenge and win let me know that, you know... Ozzy's not the only godlike competitor who can play this game."

:allears:

and that was a reprise from Palau where the first person to succumb to drown-panic was sent to the very first Exile Island ever.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I honestly rarely even watch the challenges anymore. They can be good for some comedy fodder on occasion, but they're just so boring, that I just fast forward my DVR straight to the end to find out who won.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

xcore posted:

I watch the chunk of episodes that they are talking about and then continue with the podcast. Amazon, Pearl Islands and All Stars are the 3 easiest because they are the longest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerox
May 20, 2001

Lone Goat posted:

Solitary had something like this, it was "stay in this cramped box that you can barely sit comfortably in, step outside after precisely 3 hours". One guy said that he just recited the entire movie Titanic but ended up leaving a few minutes early because he forgot to count the credits.

Solitary is a really good series and has some pretty unique stuff compared to the competitions in other reality shows. I wish they would make more seasons of it.

• Locked thread