Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Liquid Penguins posted:

Can I play with a real controller or do I have to use remote/nunchuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiIiFoZ_Wr8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

AHungryRobot posted:

one time i tried giving myself infinite ammo through a cheat device just to see what it was like and it honestly wasn't as overpowered as you'd expect.

the game already hands you tons of ammo

it's very difficult to run out when you get the annihilator beam and everything you shoot drops big gobs of ammo

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lemming posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_xoXTwaCOA

Looks like the load times are way, way lower

yessss

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

SeXReX posted:

I too long to play the good metroid prime games again, but with the poo poo controls of the bad one

whining about the improved controls sure doesn't get old

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Silver Striker posted:

I do as well but my original Wii stopped working and it's annoying to swap discs and go into Wii mode on the Wii U.

funny thing is that the eshop wii games still go into wii mode and all that. it's just a lot sneakier about it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

zen death robot posted:

I really wish you could play Wii games on the Wii U with the gamepad

you'll be able to play the ones that supported the classic controller

which is like almost none of them

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

StabMasterArson posted:

ive never played a metroid game. should iget this

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

epitasis posted:

they look like poo poo rear end

they still look pretty good, especially prime 3

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

gently caress the wasp drone hive thing

thats honestly the hardest boss in the game because samus is so naked at that point

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ForeverSmug posted:

Metroid Primes are all good

grats on not killing yourself

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

It's also cool that Thardus has fire weakness programmed in because he's made of ice even though you should never have the plasma beam for him in a normally designed run.

that's really cool but drat does the plasma beam not need that boost

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the primes each have their own strengths IMO

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the environments and music in 3 were amazing, the pirate base was loving cool and intimidating as hell

the control improvements were good, the difficulty was good instead of 1 where the game was a farce and 2 where the game had absurd difficulty spikes

it was also the prettiest of the 3 without argument. i mean sure it came out later but it maxed out whatever the wii could do

if they took out 95% of the cutscenes and all of the poo poo where mother brain talks to you even if you loving turn off hints it would be my favorite one by a mile tbh but those are the main things that drag it down

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

drat leave it up to retro to figure out how to make a mostly brown and red evil fortress actually interesting and creepy as gently caress

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i loved the stacking beams in 3 i just didn't like that you spend 90% of the game with the default beam and a very mild upgrade to that and then you get a murder cannon

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

yeah i did not like the flat double health for all enemies thing in the metroid primes. certain enemies needed a health boost for sure but most of the time it just made it a pain

boss that NEEDED a health boost: omega pirate
boss that becomes a total slog with double health: metroid prime core

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

metroid prime (as in the boss), when on low health, will do this thing where his attack animation will play way faster and it just kind of sucker punches you

i hoped that random enemies would do this in hard mode or gently caress anything new at all but nope everything has more health and deals more damage that's it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

It's super lazy. The true hard mode is a normal difficulty low% run, it would be cool if that option existed. Like Hard Mode would just remove a lot of the health/missile upgrades.

zero mission, being the best metroid game, handles this brilliantly by keeping all the upgrades in the game but having their effects reduced.

ex: Normal: energy tank +100 energy, missile expansion +5 missiles, super missile +2 super missiles
Hard: energy tank +50 energy, missile +2, super missile +1

also everything deals insane damage and it makes ridley a really exciting fight but nothing has some crazy health buff

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 2, 2015

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

if you don't know exactly where to go the stealth section is pretty terrible and full of dick moves by the devs. it is especially rough in hard mode where the pirates deal 2 tanks of damage to ZSS and you have half health. it's really lovely and it drags on TBH

Looper posted:

Beam stacking in Super Metroid was cool because you got a bunch of them and could sorta pick and choose which to use to a limited degree. Beam stacking in Prime 3 sucked because you got three and, well, what you said

i like how the final beam upgrade in 3 is green in reference to the plasma beam from super metroid, even though the first beam upgrade is called a "plasma beam" and you think "oh man time to gently caress poo poo up" and you find out the upgrade is mostly cosmetic

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

*that kid on miiverse playing the stealth section for the first time* samus CAN crawl i loving knew it!!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Silver Striker posted:

Wavebuster deals insane damage but drains missiles at a ridiculous rate and nothing really has enough health to warrant using it. Super Missile owns in basically every situation and the Ice Spreader is pretty good. The beam combos are a little better balanced in 2, IMO, but still not great.

actually a charged plasma beam shot deals more damage than a super missile so lol

once you get the plasma beam all the missile combos are for comedy

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

thats kind of creepy

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

:fap: :fap: :fap:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Jawtramp posted:

What the gently caress? Not everyone likes Metroid Prime.

please actually ban this filth

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

For this? gently caress you.

01011001 posted:

he's entitled to his opinion, and to not be banned for expressing it

it's more for being jawtramp

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Silver Striker posted:

He's going to keep posting that stuff as long as you keep getting upset at him.

it was an exaggeration chill

all metroid prime music is really, really good.

i loved all of the boss/miniboss music especially, thoughout all the games really.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 3, 2015

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

doesnt the wavebuster require powerbombs?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

oh yeah. the wavebuster is in that room where you first get the charge beam, underwater. i guess you can get it right before the invisible drone fight but that's quite a bit of backtracking from getting the grav suit just to make an easy fight easier

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Silver Striker posted:

Isn't the wave buster in the tower you have to lower with a lot of missiles?

i thought this was what was beyond that underwater room

still, hardly worth it unless you're going for 100%. youre kind of plopped in front of the entrance to phazon mines after getting the grav suit IIRC

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the flamethrower's damage over time is several times that of the normal plasma beam

however you could just fire the plasma beam at things and watch them die in an instant

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

EightFlyingCars posted:

oh poo poo, Metroid II is up for grabs on club nintendo, is it worth it?

it is known in most circles as "the metroid you can skip"

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

even if you have the disc, please buy this again, to show nintendo that people care about metroid, and more wii games coming out

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

prime 2 has some of the best and worst bosses in the series

prime 3 overall has really amazing bosses though, especially the seed guardians. lost my poo poo when i saw omega ridley

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

elf help book posted:

bosses are bad in all metroid games

the second fight with dark samus in sanctuary is pretty loving badass

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

owned

e: jfc was the powerbomb designed to deal 5 million damage to anything that didn't deliberately resist it

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 5, 2015

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

i'd forgotten how much i love the first dark samus fight cutscene

one of the beauties of no VA is how awesome scenes like that are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

2 is the hardest but 3 is definitely harder than 1. poo poo is actually designed to kill you in 3.

in 1 the enemies literally dont know what to do if you just jump over everything. the final boss will not be able to touch you if you just tap b. don't bother side dashing

• Locked thread