Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
Latest Update: The LP's finished, thanks for watching!

Hello there. Let's play Dead Space.

Who are you and what do you think you are doing

I am DumbRodent. You can call me DR because DumbRodent is a terrible thing to call someone. I like horror games!

You didn't answer my question what are you doing

I'm gonna mumble over this horror game that I like. You can join me if you like, that would be nice. There will be some thread participation, so look forward to that!

Of course, the thread is under a :siren:NO SPOILER POLICY:siren: for the entire Dead Space series. Try to refrain from spoiling things, especially anything from future games in the series, but if you simply can't help yourself please tag it!

---

VIDEOS

---

---

---

---

---

---

---

---

---

[img]http://lpix.org/2151366/lurkbonuscap.PNG][/img]

---

---

---

---

Also, here's the cipher from the bonus segment

---

---

---

---

---

:shittydog: RECOMMENDATIONS :shittydog:

If you want a funnier, group-commentated playthrough of this game with a group of folks a lot more experienced than me at the whole LPing thing, Kamoc and Friends are running a great thread right now. Also check out The Man with a Hat's LP- he went a lot more into the lore than I do here.

---

And for those who have played the games but want more Dead Space in their lives, CJacobs did an excellent LP of some weird subpar Dead Space fangame with Blind Sally and a bunch of other cool folks. It's hilarious but contains :siren:MASSIVE SPOILERS:siren: for Dead Space 1 and 2.

DumbRodent fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
reserved

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yesss this will be good.

I'm gonna eat M&Ms while watching these videos.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

DumbRodent posted:

CJacobs is doing an excellent LP of some weird subpar Dead Space fangame.

This is a really good way to describe DS3.

Looking forward to this! I'm such a dumb sucker for Dead Space lore when it is done well, despite the huge inconsistencies among all the different media. For Dead Space they did a whole bunch of different things. Like a motion comic that I won't link, I'll leave that DumbRodent. The voice acting of the motion comic is absolutely hilarious though.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Aw yeah, Dead Space. I was a little sad that CJacobs dropped the first game in favor of the third, but with you on board for this one, I feel totally relieved.
Now, go kill all these aliens for our leisure ! :getin:

ComicsandSlushies
Feb 22, 2013
Oh man this is gonna be great! Love the videos so far and looking forward to the next part.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Followed and looking forward to it! I actually played Dead Space way back when it first came out, so it'll be fun to see how much I remember.

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

IF I AM TROLLING REPORT ME!
That inconsistent fake breathy voice is the wrong kind of creepy and already overplayed, it's not needed at all. Also there's lots of inhaling even when you're talking more normally, maybe there's a mic issue?

It's fun to look back at this game with the DS3 playthrough going on, though.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

JossiRossi posted:

The voice acting of the motion comic is absolutely hilarious though.

Oh, we'll be getting to that. Don't worry.

OG17 posted:

That inconsistent fake breathy voice is the wrong kind of creepy and already overplayed, it's not needed at all. Also there's lots of inhaling even when you're talking more normally, maybe there's a mic issue?

Yeah, sorry anout that! Not doing it on purpose. I'm not very comfortable with my commentary- I started doing LPs to work on public speaking, which I've always had issues doing, and it still sometimes feels a little forced. Hopefully I can work on sounding a bit more natural.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
More DumbRodent! Woo!

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

I've never played this game and know absolutely nothing about it, looks bloody cool though. I'm getting a serious The Thing vibe with the creatures, they look fantastic and the way they relentlessly keep on coming at you is stressing me out. I don't think I could play this game myself, glad you're on it.

DumbRodent posted:

Yeah, sorry anout that! Not doing it on purpose. I'm not very comfortable with my commentary- I started doing LPs to work on public speaking, which I've always had issues doing, and it still sometimes feels a little forced. Hopefully I can work on sounding a bit more natural.

Personally I think it's absolutely fine, a little dramatic to begin with sure (in the intro it took me a few moments to realise it was you and not the game narrating) but by the end of part 1 and all of part 2 you seem to have relaxed in nicely. The hushed whispering voice you use suits your style of gameplay perfectly, you make the effort to react how I imagine the character should react to his environment and keeping your voice hushed and to a minimum just seems so right.

Also, the only noticeable breathing I'm hearing is Isaac in his suit, but then again I'm not using headphones.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
This game really does have fantastic atmosphere. I'd forgotten there were more than the three people originally. They are some really redshirt-y redshirts, though, so I suppose that's understandable.

A fun bug on the PC version, never fixed: if you ever hit "continue" on the game menu the most recent saved game will load...but the difficulty will set to medium regardless of what it was before. And the only opportunity to manually set the difficulty is when starting a new game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

On one hand, as someone who has played this game a ton, I'm watching you fight and miss shots and all and squirming a bit. On the other, though, it fits the atmosphere a lot better, and seems a lot more like what Isaac would actually be doing at this point, compared to expertly and surgically slicing these things to ribbons. Will definitely keep watching!

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie
Great work so far, awesome game to LP.

Quick correction though, Isaac's mighty stomp is not due to some strength-enhancing system, his arms are still wimpy. His boots come equiped with magnets, to aid walking in zero-g, according to the lore.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

Dr Scoofles posted:

I've never played this game and know absolutely nothing about it, looks bloody cool though. I'm getting a serious The Thing vibe with the creatures, they look fantastic and the way they relentlessly keep on coming at you is stressing me out. I don't think I could play this game myself, glad you're on it.

The Thing was a huge inspiration for Dead Space in some really great ways. And yeah, the as-to-be-named space zombies have always been fun to go up against!

Night10194 posted:

On one hand, as someone who has played this game a ton, I'm watching you fight and miss shots and all and squirming a bit.

I have played these games an unhealthy amount and have to actively force myself to not play with cold efficiency after Impossible gimmick runs and the like. I'll stop hampering myself quite so much as it goes along, but I really want to preserve the tone of a non-combatant nerd out of his element!

Also I'm not used to playing with a 360 pad, ha.

malkav11 posted:

This game really does have fantastic atmosphere. I'd forgotten there were more than the three people originally. They are some really redshirt-y redshirts, though, so I suppose that's understandable.

A fun bug on the PC version, never fixed: if you ever hit "continue" on the game menu the most recent saved game will load...but the difficulty will set to medium regardless of what it was before. And the only opportunity to manually set the difficulty is when starting a new game.

The moustache man has a special place in my heart as the first on-screen death in Dead Space. :unsmith:

Interesting! The PC port of this game was not very good. It took a lot of fiddling to even play properly, and I always had trouble with its aiming sensitivity.

grimlock_master posted:

Quick correction though, Isaac's mighty stomp is not due to some strength-enhancing system, his arms are still wimpy. His boots come equiped with magnets, to aid walking in zero-g, according to the lore.

I can believe that! I got the strength aug thing from the first couple lines of the wiki article on RIGs but the grav boot explanation sounds pretty right. Although I would like to point out that when you escape the grab of the first enemies we've encountered, Isaac does literally punch their head off of their shoulders, so I'm not sure I'd call his arms wimpy!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Isaac was in the Merchant Marine, mind. His background says as much. He probably knows the basics of how to use a weapon, though most of his Space Duties have been Space Engineering. However, people are trained to shoot at center mass, not blow off limbs with mining tools!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
It's always interesting to look back on series when they were still good. DS is a textbook example of everything gone horribly wrong. They couldn't just let the series stay dead (space).

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
Next episode is about done, but in the meantime have a small belated bonus for New Arrivals.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
I have one question: Why would Minecraft | "FIND MY DEAD BODY!!" | Minecraft Clash Of Clans Survival Let's Play #32 be "Up next?" :psyduck:

Youtube?

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
I find little things like that to be really cool hidden depth to the Dead Space games. Most people focus on the horrible monster and stomping. But actually getting an explanation for why the Ishamura exists was something I didn't know I wanted. Its a little touch like that that adds a bit more life to the game.

ComicsandSlushies
Feb 22, 2013
I love how fleshed out the story for Dead Space is and just how hosed up things get as you learn more about it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

supermikhail posted:

I have one question: Why would Minecraft | "FIND MY DEAD BODY!!" | Minecraft Clash Of Clans Survival Let's Play #32 be "Up next?" :psyduck:

Youtube?

yeah i dunno. i get weird suggestions for my videos on youtube too. i don't ever tag any of them, so maybe that's it

ComicsandSlushies posted:

I love how fleshed out the story for Dead Space is and just how hosed up things get as you learn more about it.

Blame Unitologists and EarthGov for everything. I know I do.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
DumbRodent, I really enjoy your quiet toned semi-in-character voice in the background of the game. I mean, I know you know what's going on, and we all know you what's going on, but you're voicing as if you don't, and I actually think it adds a sense of character to the game, where Isaac himself adds nothing at all by being a silent and faceless protagonist. (I mean, at least Link in the later Zelda games has facial expressions and gives the impression he's talking to other people.)

I think I'm going to imagine that you're the thought processes of an AI built into Isaac's rig, (maybe recording your thoughts for posterity,) just for the fun of keeping your narrative IC in the game context.

(Maybe it clashes with you wondering aloud why the rig is built in with an automatic lady's voice explaining how to eviscerate limbs off creatures, but I've no problem with a computer wondering what kind of junk people have installed on it.)

As for the game itself, I love the fact that there's no out-of-game HUD. The fact that any HUD interface or readouts are all holographic projections of Isaac's rig is brilliant.. The objective finder beam is especially cool.

I think so far, the only real "problem" I have with this game, apart from the fact that Isaac so far has about as much personality as a glowy peanut (and the other characters aren't exactly overflowing with charisma,) is that the health of the monsters seems weirdly arbitrary. They seem like they just sort of die when they don't have enough limbs to be useful combatants rather than when they've been damaged so severely they can't hold themselves together, which seems a bit odd for creatures that can survive sans heads and don't care about torso trauma. But I freely admit I probably think too much about things.

Drakli fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 9, 2015

Damegane
May 7, 2013
Gameplay mechanics-wise, severing a limb deals a large amount of damage to the enemy that's separate from the weapon shot damage. So, you can kill a guy by shooting him in the torso loads of times, it's just that breaking a few limbs is quicker.

Lore-wise, I have no clue. :v:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Lore-wise they can't MOVE if you chop them to pieces.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

Blind Sally posted:

Blame Unitologists and EarthGov for everything. I know I do.

Hey man, that's real narrow minded of you. EarthGov is just here to keep you safe!

Drakli posted:

DumbRodent, I really enjoy your quiet toned semi-in-character voice in the background of the game. I mean, I know you know what's going on, and we all know you what's going on, but you're voicing as if you don't, and I actually think it adds a sense of character to the game, where Isaac himself adds nothing at all by being a silent and faceless protagonist. (I mean, at least Link in the later Zelda games has facial expressions and gives the impression he's talking to other people.)

Glad you're enjoying! I actually always liked Isaac as a player avatar and slightly mysterious blank slate, but a lot of people didn't like how he was handled as a third-person silent protagonist. I'm in the minority!

Speedball posted:

Lore-wise they can't MOVE if you chop them to pieces.

There's... actually a pretty good way to fenaggleengineer an in-lore explanation for that gameplay quirk later on. We'll get there!

e: v
Yeah, Dead Space has an issue with tutorializing. It eases up a bit as it goes on but is a bit of a headache when replaying it. Can't even turn them off.
I would have preferred having to struggle with the dismemberment at first. Telling the player the trick before their first real combat encounter wasn't what I would have done.

The helmet's visor glows slightly to let Isaac see in the dark, I suppose. And all of his engineering tools have flashlights on them. If his RIG has one installed (and I'm sure it does, the poorly-aged phone I'm using to type this centuries prior to his time has a flashlight on it) he never really needs to use it.

DumbRodent fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 9, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
God drat, that first section of the game just grabs your hand and will not let go (I think I counted five variations on "shoot them in the limbs!") Does it ever start easing up and let you figure things out on your own?

Also, I understand that it's a convention of the genre, so I'm not really bothered by this, but it's kind of silly that an engineer suit doesn't have an integrated flashlight or augmented vision. I mean, it's his job to go into cramped, dark areas and do fine electronic/mechanical repairs, isn't it?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, every other game in existence rewards you for going for the head. They had to pound it into you to NOT go for the head in this game. Otherwise they'd have had hordes of angry 14-year-olds complaining.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Yo, imma let you finish, but Alien Isolation is the best Dead Space game of all time.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Keeshhound posted:

God drat, that first section of the game just grabs your hand and will not let go (I think I counted five variations on "shoot them in the limbs!")

I'd like to imagine that this was a result of stupid people during playtesting, so the dev team eventually just decided to hammer that message in as hard as possible.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Awww yiss! Another DumbRodent LP, gonna love this. The entire Dead Space fad completely passed me, so I'm entirely new to all this.

I like the creature they introduced second. It walks like a horsie. :)

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Speedball posted:

Well, every other game in existence rewards you for going for the head. They had to pound it into you to NOT go for the head in this game. Otherwise they'd have had hordes of angry 14-year-olds complaining.

In the leadup to the game, they kept enforcing how you'd have to 'unlearn the headshot'. Going by some of the people I've seen play, friends and Youtubers alike, it's a hard lesson to get over.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Drakli posted:

As for the game itself, I love the fact that there's no out-of-game HUD. The fact that any HUD interface or readouts are all holographic projections of Isaac's rig is brilliant.

I agree with this. I wish more games did things this way, because while I appreciate being able to effectively pause combat while I apply a green herb/stuff 100 apples down my throat it really does take away from immersion and you need immersion for creepy games to work their best.

Louispul5
Oct 10, 2012
Isaac is a silent protagonist, but he's not a blank slate. They do a lot with body language and incoherent screaming in fear and rage. Also the mission objectives are written in character by him, and especially towards the end they show quite a bit. It's just no one ever reads the objective list because there's a button mapped to literally point where you want to go.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

Louispul5 posted:

Isaac is a silent protagonist, but he's not a blank slate. They do a lot with body language and incoherent screaming in fear and rage. Also the mission objectives are written in character by him, and especially towards the end they show quite a bit. It's just no one ever reads the objective list because there's a button mapped to literally point where you want to go.

Yeah, I'll show off Isaac's journal at some point. I didn't know it existed myself until several playthroughs had come and gone, which was a real shame. Calling him a 'blank slate' was a silly misnomer; all I meant to say was that his silence lets the player see and feel themselves in his position better than if he had more of a direct voice, letting them form their own reactions to most of the disturbing events in the game. It's not done terribly often in third-person games... as far as I know, so a lot of people were thrown off by the emotive, bodily protagonist who just decided not to say anything. I always really liked how he was handled- and his journal was a big plus!

I've always really liked silent protagonists for some reason. There's a kind of mystery about them, I guess. Finally seeing into their thoughts or feelings after wondering about them for a while is fascinating to me.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
I really want to see DR do Alien Isolation now. And also the rest of the Dead Space series, just because I want to see how bad they get.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

They don't really get bad so much as they...lose their way. And get EA'ed.

Damegane
May 7, 2013
DS2 is great. Refined gameplay, but rather more action movie-ish.

DS3 is... different. We got a really good mix and match weapon customisation system, but the tradeoff was that there's less emphasis placed on limb shots since a lot of the weapons can't do them well. It also lost all semblance of the creepy atmosphere 1 and 2 had in a lot places.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
On that topic, I added a bit to the OP about sequel talk. Nothing bad so far or anything, just making sure goons new to Dead Space don't get spoiled! It's certainly a ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend

DumbRodent posted:

Yeah, I'll show off Isaac's journal at some point. I didn't know it existed myself until several playthroughs had come and gone, which was a real shame. Calling him a 'blank slate' was a silly misnomer; all I meant to say was that his silence lets the player see and feel themselves in his position better than if he had more of a direct voice, letting them form their own reactions to most of the disturbing events in the game. It's not done terribly often in third-person games... as far as I know, so a lot of people were thrown off by the emotive, bodily protagonist who just decided not to say anything. I always really liked how he was handled- and his journal was a big plus!

I've always really liked silent protagonists for some reason. There's a kind of mystery about them, I guess. Finally seeing into their thoughts or feelings after wondering about them for a while is fascinating to me.

I don't inherently hate silent protagonists, but I find the more realistic or advanced game graphics get... the more effort they have to expend for silent protagonists to work for me. I'm reluctant to haul out the old chestnut of the "uncanny valley," but there's something of it in there. Back in the old days, when graphics were more abstract, when you walked up to someone and hit the interact button and they talked to you, you could just assume that you'd said something to initiate and continue the conversation even if the game didn't write any dialogue for you; and it was up to you to fill in what you thought your protagonist was saying. Even then, some games were posh enough, like Chrono Trigger to have the silent protagonist do a 'jump-scare' expression when he was startled, or shake his head, or have like a question mark appear above his hair, indicating some change of mental/emotional state.

Now with games sporting fully voiced, lip-sync'd, and animated support characters, it's a bit harder for me to fill in those blanks with my realistically rendered character just standing there staring at them. Facelessly in Isaac's case

Comparing that to Dead Space: The graphics of Dead Space are really good. In particular, I'm impressed that the facial models and face animations of the other two major characters aren't triggering my Uncanny Valley senses. They're very well done. But never seeing his face or hearing him talk, if I didn't know any better, I might think Isaac Clarke was an engineering robot. Everyone talks to him and tells him what to do and he never says anything or reacts beyond when you mime him nodding at the first casualty guy. it feels weird that he never responds... unless you assume he's just a robot following orders.

It probably doesn't help that his helmet looks a little bit Cylon and a little bit something from Star Wars to me.

Maybe I just haven't had enough time with him to pick up the nuances, and maybe the journal really humanizes him. I can't say for certain yet.

• Locked thread