Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
I don't remember seeing that scene the first time I watched this game being lped. But all the same, that is a brutal section. You are quite right DumbRodent that the atmosphere in this part is great. There's a huge sense of hopelessness throughout. I can only imagine that playing on impossible for the first time magnified that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?

Gantolandon posted:

When I played this game, Twitchers were kinda impervious to stasis - hitting them with the module only returned them to their normal speed. However, in your video it seems to work normally. Did I remember wrong?

I remember it this way as well, but the Wiki states that stasis always slows a twitcher down like a normal necromorph. Odd.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Thank you so much for doing this LP, DumbRodent. I love the atmosphere, and your quiet, understated voice is the perfect complement. I found myself tense and holding my breath in multiple fights, and just about every time in the no air areas. The 0 G areas are fantastic and slightly disorienting to me, I love how I have to recalibrate my thinking to match them.

I definitely see aspects of System Shock 2, where you go from the Von Braun to the Rickenbacker - but that's no bad thing, to borrow from SS2 and do it well. (And arguably, any "I'm trapped in a X" is going to involve going from one car/ship/spacecraft/train to another. So more of a genre constraint?)

Having recently read a Where I Watch of Crimson Tide by a submariner, I've a heightened awareness of a flamethrower on an air-tight vessel. Perhaps it isn't so bad on the Ishimura, which is more of a floating space-station with oxygen-generation systems? I can see a lot of space marines/submariners/marines being very twitchy with open flames on their spaceship, regardless. Air is precious, and those necromorphs have definitely figured that out - a lot of those death sequences are death by suffocation.

I had a morbid fascination with the re-purposed corpses used to spew out poisoned gases. The psychological/madness breakdown of seeing dead loved ones is a great counter-weight to the physical horror.

I love that we see the icon for the Valor everywhere on that ship - it's a nice detail. Any notes on the Valor's icon design? I could squint and see a fox head or a dragon head, and then it had the kanji repeated 3 times, too.

How is this game on the PC? Any control difficulties as compared to the console version?

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

Thanks so much! I'm really glad you're enjoying. :)

Dead Space owes a lot of its genes to System Shock, yeah. It's a simplified version of the same formula, taking certain ideas and, er, repurposing them into something easier and more accessible to a wider audience. Kind of like what Bioshock did, though less so, and with different elements of SS.

... System Shock 3 is being made, right? I kind of hope they keep it as difficult and player-agency-driven as SS2. Much as I like DS and Bioshock, I really miss that... acute, intelligent oppressiveness that SS2 had.

As for the USM Valor... hmm.

Dead Space Wiki posted:

The USM logo seen throughout the ship includes the Han character 天 (Chinese: tiān, Japanese: ten, ame, ama, Korean: cheon), meaning "heaven" or "sky."

Appears to be some kind of forward-facing vessel with its nose tilting towards the bottom of the logo. The similarity to some kind of predator's head shape might be intentional though! The Wiki itself says that it "resembles a Chinese dragon" so yeah.

I originally planned to play this game on the PC, but... the controls were what I would describe as 'uncooperative'. :sigh: Mouse aiming was totally borked. Was able to get that partially fixed eventually, but ran into a lot of other issues... I might have been able to get it running properly if I'd been a bit more patient but, yeah, no, the PC port has some real problems.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I didn't have any major issues with the PC version (there's some trick to get the mouse aiming to work properly that I no longer remember), but there's one really irritating one - if you click "continue" instead of manually loading a save, the game silently sets the difficulty to Normal, regardless of your previously selected difficulty. And the only time you get to pick the difficulty is when you start a new game.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

malkav11 posted:

I didn't have any major issues with the PC version (there's some trick to get the mouse aiming to work properly that I no longer remember), but there's one really irritating one - if you click "continue" instead of manually loading a save, the game silently sets the difficulty to Normal, regardless of your previously selected difficulty. And the only time you get to pick the difficulty is when you start a new game.

Turn off Vsync to get the aiming speed back to normal instead of 'molasses in january'. Didn't know about the 'continue' bug, though. that's just poor form from Visceral.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
Yeah it doesn't surprise me that there were easy fixes to the issues I was having. I was pretty impatient to be honest.

The continue bug makes me glad I stuck to the 360 version for the LP though- that woulda been egg on my face.

edit: The Dead Space 2 port is pretty solid though, far as I can tell.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
As long as you remember to manually load your saves you can stay at whatever difficulty you picked. But it's now entirely habitual for me to click continue since most games have something like that and it's easier than remembering which save to load.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Even if you "fix" the mouse aiming in Dead Space 1 by turning off vsync, the game still has a very large threshold for negative mouse acceleration, meaning there is a very small window of mouse movement between only moving Isaac's aim slightly and sending him spinning in a random direction. Also, the vertical and horizontal axes have completely different sensitivities which I don't think you can change. It's not a very good port.

Thankfully, Dead Space 2's is much better!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

DumbRodent posted:

As for the USM Valor... hmm.

Isn't that just a jet?

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

Discendo Vox posted:

Isn't that just a jet?

Yep, seems that way.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
Who wants some mood whiplash?

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
Part 2's up.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Okay so, did you actually need those supplies you went back into the monsters' lair for or was that just you being a completionist?

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

Thesaya posted:

Okay so, did you actually need those supplies you went back into the monsters' lair for or was that just you being a completionist?

I... didn't really. I'm obsessive compulsive in survival-horror games. I need everything

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Great episode! I don't trust Kyne an inch and I strongly suspect he has ulterior motives. But, then again, it seems everyone on this ship does. :(

Can't wait for the finale!

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
Oh god I'm so sorry :ohdear:
I might be a horrible lazy liar, but I don't like to leave something unfinished...

Just one chapter left. It's already recorded, so sadly I can't do anything gimmicky with a weapon vote or anything.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Great to see your return!

That said, I'm afraid you missed a cache of phat lewt. The initial arrival room, with the lockdown where you watched the first deaths of the game- once you finish the lockdown of the same room that you encountered in this chapter, an additional door unlocks there- the door that was your initial escape route. A door along that route, which was locked at the start of the game, can be opened to get a large reward.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 10, 2016

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
When you said that we'd get out of here together I was totally expecting poo poo to go bottoms up. KEEENDDRAAA!!! :argh:

Once again; I love your style. Really enjoy the oscillating between not breaking the fourth wall and breaking it. Can't wait for the conclusion!

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

Discendo Vox posted:

Great to see your return!

That said, I'm afraid you missed a cache of phat lewt. The initial arrival room, with the lockdown where you watched the first deaths of the game- once you finish the lockdown of the same room that you encountered in this chapter, an additional door unlocks there- the door that was your initial escape route. A door along that route, which was locked at the start of the game, can be opened to get a large reward.

I actually had no idea about this! Thanks for letting me know.

placid saviour posted:

When you said that we'd get out of here together I was totally expecting poo poo to go bottoms up. KEEENDDRAAA!!! :argh:

Once again; I love your style. Really enjoy the oscillating between not breaking the fourth wall and breaking it. Can't wait for the conclusion!

I promise it'll be soon! :shobon:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Huh. I was not expecting Kyne to be on the level. I mean, his plan is seeming increasingly hinky, but that might not be his fault.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

And that's a wrap! Might have a small bonus to show off some things, but aside from that we're done here. Hope you all enjoyed the campy, messy ride.

(There's a few minutes of dead space air after the credits, just a rendering mishap. Waiting for Youtube's editor to crop that out.)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Great work, DumbRodent. I look forward to your future projects, and to the bonus post where you personally translate every piece of unitology language in the game.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Thank you for doing this LP - I love your style, and the humanity you bring to the silent protagonist, down to the tremble in your voice as things go horribly worse.

I'm a little fuzzy on the plot (which admittedly is not the priority of the game?). From what I understand - waaaay long ago, a dude said the government was covering up something, and Unity. Fast forward to near game time; there's a colony way the hell out on that planet, and the government has secretly created their own unity marker from alien plans said dude claimed the government was covering up. The govern't put it on the colony and sat back to watch what happened. Then the planet-cracker ship showed up illicitly to try and get back in the black, found the colony, cracked the planet, found the marker and took it. Unclear if the colonists were not okay when the ship showed up, or if they only became crazy after the marker was stolen. Colony goes bonkers, ship starts to go bonkers - seems like the marker causes it, guessing the colonists were not okay prior to marker being stolen? Game happens, the marker wants to get back to the planet, Kendra & Goven't made sure Isaac was on the mission because love interest, and as Kendra says (and as DumbRodent says) he's easy to manipulate. Kendra horribly killed, Isaac leaves marker and leaves, on planet-cracker ship? Cue very bad stuff, because either crazy, or hey, entire ship infested. (or if that's the escape pod, likewise, thing is contaminated - or Isaac is.)

Is that basically correct?

Do we ever find out anything more about the Marker and what it supposedly does?

Thanks!

...are you going to do Dead Space 2?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Mostly correct, Kacie. Here's the missing info based just on what the game says, as I understand it:

1. The colony was set up as part of the illicit mining process. The whole thing with the government setting up the marker in secret was way, way before the mining began.

2. The marker was a copy built to study the original marker that was the basis of Unitology. The marker on its own seems to drive people near it insane and make them see dead loved ones, who tell them to do things that the marker "wants". The initial infection into necromorphs seems to have been done by people under the marker's influence. When the government people started getting necro-infected, they discovered that the marker, when put into place, had the effect of silencing and stopping the infestation. We don't know the details of why "returning it" was important, or how/why the thing it was sitting on has its effect, but it seems to amplify the "dead space" the marker produces. They basically put the marker on the pedestal, ran away, and declared the planet off limits.

3. The miners began going crazy when they discovered the marker, and it appears that the necromorph phenomenon began when they removed the marker from its pedestal and sent it to the Ishimura. This is because its suppressive effect was removed.

4. There are a number of signs that the whole mining expedition to Aegis VII was a plot by Unitologists to retrieve the copy marker. Unitology in general, as the name suggests, seems to be a sort of widespread form of the marker's influence.

5. It's unclear why the government now wants the marker back, but it may be just to keep it out of the hands of Unitologists. Earthgov is apparently not crazy evil cultguyz like the unitologists, just dangerously incompetent in deciding what to do with all this eldritch abomination stuff.

6. Isaac left the marker on Aegis VII. The (dumb) ending jump scare seems to imply that its effects on his mind are at least lasting, if not permanent.

I, too, hope DR does the other dead space games, but I gotta admit the series rapidly goes downhill from here, at least by survival horror standards.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Well done, DumbRodent. It might have taken its time, but it was worth it. And as someone who was dragged through the shittiest parts of Dead Space against his will, I salute you.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
Brilliant LP! :)

Are you going to do the other two...?

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
One of the best LP's on the forum. Hats off to you, DR.

I'm feeling a bit let down by the lack of information, as well, so I hope you spend some time on the plot in your super secret bonus video.

Also, jump scare at the end was lame. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

Kacie posted:

I'm a little fuzzy on the plot (which admittedly is not the priority of the game?). From what I understand - [...]

Thanks!

You pretty much had it, and Discendo Vox summarized it nicely. The Red Marker was reverse-engineered from the original article for the purpose of studying it, and being around even a rough replica of the original deal caused very bad things to happen to your mind. It was brought to, and eventually left, on Aegis VII after it became apparent that it was a nightmare factory, and the entire sector was marked as off-limits. Much later, Concordance Extraction set up illegal shop on the planet, and the Red Marker was rediscovered. A combination of scientific curiosity and religious obsession on behalf of Unitologist crewmembers (including Captain Matthius himself) led to it being relocated to the Ishimura and studied. More bad things happened. People died. A distress beacon was sent out.

Isaac volunteered for the mission because of Nicole being aboard. Him being in a heightened emotional state, and therefore easily manipulated and not likely to cause issues for Kendra Daniels' mission, probably made him a pretty good candidate anyways. Who exactly that mission was for is a little bit fuzzy, and I don't think it's made entirely clear, but her inclusion on Hammond's ship was insisted upon by a higher-up in the CEC.

We definitely find out more about the Marker, and necromorph... reproduction in general.

If you want to know more about the events leading up to Dead Space, there's a lot of expanded media that explores that. The novel Dead Space Martyr focuses on the discovery of the original Black Marker by Michael Altman (the very same 'Altman Be Praised' fella in Unitology teachings), and there's an animated flick called Dead Space Downfall that explores the events immediately before the game. I remember Martyr being pretty enjoyable, but I haven't watched Downfall in ages.
I think Kamoc and friends did a watch-through of the movie, actually. That's probably a good way to experience it.

Kacie posted:

...are you going to do Dead Space 2?

Nelson Mandela posted:

Are you going to do the other two...?

I would love to do DS2- it's by far my favorite game in the series and one of my favorite action-horror games period, although admittedly that's in part because of my own personal... mythology around its release and my obsession with the first game as a young'n. But, as is probably apparent from my upload schedule, I got pretty burnt out on DS1, so I'll probably tackle another project before I get to it. I'd really like to do it justice if and when I do it!

As for DS3, there is no DS3, so they'd have to develop it first. :)

placid saviour posted:

One of the best LP's on the forum. Hats off to you, DR.

I'm feeling a bit let down by the lack of information, as well, so I hope you spend some time on the plot in your super secret bonus video.

Also, jump scare at the end was lame. :mad:

Thanks, and thanks to everyone else who followed along to the bitter end! I'm really glad it was entertaining.

We'll see what I can put together! Some kind of recap might fit well over the bonus bits I'm working on.

And yes. Yes, it was.

DumbRodent fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 11, 2016

• Locked thread