Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yesss this will be good.

I'm gonna eat M&Ms while watching these videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Lore-wise they can't MOVE if you chop them to pieces.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, every other game in existence rewards you for going for the head. They had to pound it into you to NOT go for the head in this game. Otherwise they'd have had hordes of angry 14-year-olds complaining.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

They don't really get bad so much as they...lose their way. And get EA'ed.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I don't remember that part of the ship having quite so many background baby cries.

Still, I love medical. It establishes so much about all the things you'll be encountering in the game (zero gravity, vacuum, enemy types) and has a lot of great creepy setpieces.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

LINE GUN because seriously that thing can chop half a room in half.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The whispers saying "Search and rescue" are part of an audio file from one of Dead Space's promotional alternate-reality websites. You are a guy trapped on the ship with the door locked, and the only thing with you is a computer that examines the odds for risk assessment. The risk assessment computer even gives you dating advice odds. "Search and rescue" was part of it describing one woman's day job.

EDIT: Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L38AbxFr8vY

Speedball fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 12, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

drat, the original promotional AR game isn't even on the Internet Wayback Machine. (it was called No Known Survivors) Too bad, it had some genuine creep moments. Plus like I said, I loved the idea of a guy using a risk assessment computer to not only calculate the odds of his own survival from attack by alien zombies, but dating advice. Now that is a pretty intricate predictive model.

Clearly necromorphs wouldn't be able to do their thing on a ship full of robots, so if this setting did have any sort of AI to speak of they'd be the kryptonite to the infestation.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Nah, everybody ever thinks the way she flops around afterwards is risible. They couldn't have scripted the last part of her collapse when every tester ever must have noticed how janky it looked? C'mon!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Remember back on the medical deck? There was a tentacle hole behind the barrier we had to blast our way though. They welded the door shut to keep the tentacle monster out!

You can see this in the Dead Space: Extraction rail shooter (my favorite of the franchise)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Contact beam. We need our rocket launcher equivalent.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yesss. I love your videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I loved the tiny visual fake-out at the beginning of the return to Medical, the light's shining behind a human body model so it looks like there's a guy there. And then you hear that whispering.

He must have put it there on purpose just to mess with you. His room isn't just a house of horrors, he's got, like, DRAPES hanging from the ceiling. In space!

• Locked thread