Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
New month, new chat thread. Post all derails here, don't be a lovely poster, etc.

I hear there's a Superbowl soon, so: Sports! Ever run a sports-themed session or played any cool sports-themed games you'd recommend? :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Huh, the Mythic Africa book for Ars Magica is already here.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ettin posted:

I hear there's a Superbowl soon, so: Sports! Ever run a sports-themed session or played any cool sports-themed games you'd recommend? :buddy:
Do things like X-Crawl count?

Also no.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I really wanna play Thunder Alley

also, wanna know what's a great rabbit hole for discussion? trying to define what is and is not a sport.

cheerleading? nascar? fighting? how about golf or bowling?

have fun in the quagmire...

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Lord Frisk posted:

I really wanna play Thunder Alley

Wait, so with that name it's NOT about F-105s shooting and getting shot in Vietnam? Laaaaaaame :colbert:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There was this one time I was playing 4e and while we were trying to close a dimensional vortex, an impromptu game of Blood Bowl broke out involving a treeman.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Blood Bowl constantly shows up in our RPGs as a sport across the multiverse, does that count?

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Ettin, your new avatar's creepy as gently caress.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

it's a modron, yo

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
welp this sure is a thread.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Sports: My 13th Age campaign had a game of Warball and had PCs enter the wrestling ring a few times. Those were mostly combat encounters with a few odd twists and extra things to do on your turn. The one I'm a player in is in the middle of a Wacky Races-style marathon between cities.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

February is the worst month.

e: because it contains both my birthday and Valentine's Day.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 1, 2015

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

man, it got racist in here really quick

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Lord Frisk posted:

man, it got racist in here really quick

Wait, huh? Where? :ohdear:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Libertad! posted:

Ettin, your new avatar's creepy as gently caress.

I'm an adventurer. I have a helm.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Davin Valkri posted:

He/she (delete whichever is inappropriate) is making fun of my post.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Davin Valkri posted:

Evil Mastermind posted:

February is the worst month.

e: because it contains both my birthday and Valentine's Day.

It's also black history month in the US and this joke was low hanging fruit.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lord Frisk posted:

It's also black history month in the US and this joke was low hanging fruit.
And that didn't occur to me at all until your post. :( I'm a bad person.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A game where you determine the pitch by pitch results of a baseball game with dice rolls influenced by a player's stats makes so much sense that I couldn't imagine that someone hasn't tried it yet.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
At least your birthday isn't the leap year.
One if my best drinking buddies is technically only 6...

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

A game where you determine the pitch by pitch results of a baseball game with dice rolls influenced by a player's stats makes so much sense that I couldn't imagine that someone hasn't tried it yet.
It has to exist. Boring rear end baseball management sims are prolific as hell. The sport is practically statistics given a narrative.

quote:

To be fair, wasn't Sembia originally supposed to be the equivalent of Glorantha's "Blank lands" where you can basically make up whatever you want for your campaign?
That is exactly what it is supposed to be. Greenwood said there would never be any setting information on Sembia so you would never be contradicted by the official material.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 1, 2015

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

gradenko_2000 posted:

If you wanted to create something more boring than actual baseball, this would be it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Shadowrun's got sports in, things like Urban Brawl and Combat Biker. I don't remember my group ever getting involved in them though.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
I never actually did it but I tried to figure out how to make extreme surfboarding work in a tabletop setting. Never did figure out a good way.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ettin posted:

New month, new chat thread. Post all derails here, don't be a lovely poster, etc.

When Spirit of 77 gets released I plan on running "The Harlem Globetrotters and Friends Mystery Power Hour." In the first adventure, they visit Iran and seek out the Orb of Cyrus. It's shaped like a basketball and they'll have to slam dunk it at some point.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I have a copy of The Game (bad game about gladiatorial / Running Man kinda stuff)?

Honestly fantasy sports is so popular it feels like somebody needs to make the missing link game where players put together a team and go for gold. The only thing I'd wonder is it seems like it'd be geared solely towards winning the championship or whatever. Maybe that's why there isn't one? Hm. Would make for a cool Dramasystem game if you did it right, but that feels more esoteric than I expect sports fans would want.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
The opening session of my current Inverse World campaign opened with the party getting caught up in the cutthroat politics of the Progress Island Cluster Barfighting League when their hired ship, sponsored by one bar, was sabotaged by another bar.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Man, that just makes me sad that I've had so few opportunities to play Inverse World.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Well good news, the six feats under crew just recorded another session of Inverse World with me. So you'll be able to live a session vicariously in about a month when the episode goes out, or immediately if you haven't listened to the first two sessions yet.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Ettin posted:

I'm an adventurer. I have a helm.

Truly a fearsome cubed warrior.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

After the absolutely legendary end of the 13th Age campaign I was in, I'm finally doing it you guys.

I'm finally running Mageball.

...Or a test run anyway. I'll be doing it in a one session shot with my usual face to face gaming group in a couple of weeks. Then who knows, maybe I'll try to get a thread going again.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Shouldn't the Modron thread have been March? That would be great.

Zereth posted:

Do things like X-Crawl count?

Also no.

Always wanted to play that.

Speaking of things I always wanted to play as well as Inverse World, I printed out the playbooks for that to show to some friends who've been trying to get me to run something. (They look really nice printed out, incidentally. Kinda makes me wish I'd sprung for the physical tier.) When I mentioned it to an online acquaintance, that was apparently enough impetus to get him to announce an IW game over Skype, so now I get to play and GM.

gnapo
Mar 8, 2014
I'm running a 4e game where dungeoncrawling is a competetive sport and the players are a competing team.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
That sounds like great fun! Any tips on doing it well?

gnapo
Mar 8, 2014

thespaceinvader posted:

That sounds like great fun! Any tips on doing it well?

Well, I can talk about things that seem to be working for me.
With 4e I focus on making combat go quicker, so I give the enemies less health than usual. (see mm3 on a business card and the hp math fix) On top of that, i stole the escalation die from 13th Age and I try not to use enemies with many interrupts.
I use puzzles liberally because they take less time than combat and they're fun. I try to vary the goal of the dungeon, so it might be a direct confrontation with the other team, a race to the end of the dungeon, whoever kills the bossmonster first or a king of the hil battle.
There's also ressurection-insurance for if you get yourself killed to encourage risky and fun behaviour.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Rand Brittain posted:

Huh, the Mythic Africa book for Ars Magica is already here.

Mine isn't. :(

I once ran a session of a fighting game-based RPG that was beach volleyball. Gave folks. Chance to show off and get used to the dice in a low-stakes environment vs their friendly rivals.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

When Spirit of 77 gets released I plan on running "The Harlem Globetrotters and Friends Mystery Power Hour." In the first adventure, they visit Iran and seek out the Orb of Cyrus. It's shaped like a basketball and they'll have to slam dunk it at some point.

Excellent. That could easily work as the plot of an episode of the ancient Globetrotters cartoon. :haw:

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I ran a trollball game from trollpak for Glorantha once. The players were visiting Skyfall lake to try and interview Cragspider - They were reporters and bodyguards working for a Pavis newspaper, and got word that she was a big fan of special Dragori Inkarth rules variant played by Great Trolls where the ball is a live trollkin instead of the usual giant beetle.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Zurui posted:

If you wanted to create something more boring than actual baseball, this would be it.
SPORTS! :rolldice:

I actually considered getting someone the hockey one as a gift once, but decided no one deserves that kind of punishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

SPORTS! :rolldice:

I actually considered getting someone the hockey one as a gift once, but decided no one deserves that kind of punishment.

Daaaaang. You should have linked to their example of play because that's some great poo poo.

quote:

Parrish has a 1 error rating at 3B so look under the 1 column. The 2d10 result is 60 which results in ERR*. Now we find the 2d6 result of 10 on the included ERR* chart. Reference the middle column that includes the 3B position and the 2d6 result of 10 to see that Parrish made a 1 base error. This allows Moreno to advance one base to third with Robinson safe at first on the error. That should have been the third out, but extends the inning and brings up Bill Madlock. The 2d6 roll equals 11 which gives the BALLPARK result. When this result comes up, we check the ballpark chart to determine if the WHEELHOUSE or IN-PLAY section of the batter card will be used. Madlock is a right-handed batter (RHB) so we use the right side of the BALLPARK chart and see that on a result of 1 – 23, the WHEELHOUSE section will be used while 24 – 99 means we will be using the IN-PLAY section of Madlock’s card. The 2d10 result is 85 and off to Madlock’s IN-PLAY section we go. Re-roll the 2d10 and the result is 03 for a 2B. This means Madlock has smashed a double scoring Moreno from third. The basic baserunner advancement instructions indicate runners advance the same number of bases as the hit, so Robinson moves from first to third; however, there are two outs so all runners advance an extra base and Robinson scores. Phil Garner ends the inning by popping out to the first baseman.

• Locked thread